Fleet Registration

Guest <font color=red><b>DeSylva</b></

Guest <font color=red><b>DeSylva</b></

Okay, all members of Fleets listen up.

the Commander in Chief (Derek Smart) is gathering info on all fleets, because there are a few "Fleets" or player groups popping up in our new castes - EarthCOM and Insurgents.

I urge all Fleet Commanders or Caste Commanders (That means you, Moritz, and you, Rattler) to visit the SDF forum and register any fleets that are part of your group. I know that EarthCOM has two Battlegroups - they should both be registered, as should the proposal for SCID that EarthCOM have, if they decide to allow it. Rattler, any squadrons that you are forming - I know you have two - should also be registered.

Also, we have some big news in the Developer's Wishlist Forum. Derek is considering putting our Fleet Facilities IN THE GAME. That means that ALL FLEET COMMANDERS (that is Daniel Londono, Antti Junkkari, Myself and Commander Ristar, as well as the leaders of the two Insurgent Squadrons, and the leaders of the two EarthCOM Battlegroups) should VISIT this forum and POST what our facilities are. Derek has allowed us one Starstation and up to four Starbases. I urge you to keep it fairly modest, ladies and gentlemen - I don't want to see Fleets having four large scale military bases in Sol space, otherwise there won't be room to move for the stations. I'm sure you will all do your best to remain true to the aims of your fleets (eg. big battle fleets, small covert fleets, support fleets, should all have bases which are aimed at different purposes).

Okay Commanders, get to it! *grin*

Michael,

I see a potential problem here. Say I register the Base that You now know about for the RPG here on the Forum. Isn't that going to undermine the integrity of the RPG? They won't have to go out and find it, I'll have told them exctly where it is. See the problem?

Derek, Is there a way to put these inputs into a "Need To Know" category, and restrict access to this data base until you get them incorporated into the game? I don't have a problem with disclosing Sygan, everyone knows that, or should smile.gif , but not everyone knows about the rest of the bases being built by the Insurgency.

Spectre Squadron Commanders, get cracking. Find your New Base locations, strength's, equipment lists, etc; and get the info to me ASAP. This is a great honor being afforded us by the CIC, so let us not waste it. smile.gif

Cmdr Rattler, ICV Necromancer, Spectre

Rattler

I see your point and understand your concern. I don't have a problem with keeping this info private, that may explain why Tac sent his to me via email (I ripped a hole in his hull for it smile.gif ).

My concern is that it makes things more complex than they need to be. Intel in 3000AD is advanced, so I doubt that any force would be able to keep that info secret for a long period. That said, this is why all bases/stations are 'known' in the game.

So, I think that for now, we should make the info public. Once multiplayer rolls around next year, if the technology allows it, you can pretty much put your base anywhere you want. Since the server (yours or someone else's) will be running your version of a script written for the game (assuming you learn how to do it using the GBS from v2.0), you can pretty much put them where the heck you want with not restrictions.

My default server script shipping with the game will have a default script will all known bases. So, if I have a persistent server at www.3000ad.com (yes, I own that URL too) and we use it for RPG, SDF etc, I will be the one to edit the script with classified intel from you guys. See what I mean? Though I'm head of GALCOM, you can trust me not to pass on classified info to the GALCOM side (Tac & co) because it would ruin things.

But like I said before, once for instance Junkari and his cronies discover where the Insurgent base is, you can pretty much expect to find a post here about it smile.gif

Imagine everyone scrambling to the server to either (a) take it out or (B) defend it.

Of course if you and Jester decide to commit Hari Kari and try to take on GHQ, we'll be there waiting on that fateful morning. smile.gif

The cool thing is that if someone takes out your station, you pretty much have to wait until the server rebuilds it...hehe, 4 hours later. Of course, you can always go capture another one and see how long you can hold on to it for. Its going to be a blast, just stick with it guys.

If anyone else has any other ideas, lets talk about them.

Guest Ron Wallin

I have posted this here so it wouldn't clutter the actual list Tac created in the developers wish list forum.

I agree with both Derek and Rattler. Its good to have secret bases but the logistics right now are not feasable except in DeSylva's roleplaying. Since he is the moderator of the RP, he can keep things secret.

However, there is something I don't understand. If the general spirit of this base listing is to add some of the RP's existing infrastructure to the game itself, wouldn't it be wise to pass all base listings through DeSylva first(or someone he appoints). It would allow him to red flag those requests that may place opposing bases near or right on top of each other.

For example: Tac posted that he would like to have his Starstation orbiting Moon-01 in Actis-IV. Unfortunately, a Actis-IV is the only way into Actis-V. DeSylva, correct me if I'm wrong, but Rattler has previously submitted that the Insurgents will have a starbase located on Actis-V.

In military terms this would allow for a blockade of Actis-V. This doesn't bother me. I'm confident that Raven Squadron will have no problem ripping holes in the Wraith fleet on my way to Actis-V.

Please, understand that I'm all for freely choosing the location of installations. But, we must all realize that we may be stepping on toes attached to vindictive groups.

Perhaps, if Tac had consulted DeSylva, he might not have wanted to put the fleet starstation for the covert hit and run fleet so close to an existing Insurgent stronghold. Strategically, it's a bad security problem. The Insurgents could easily place probes and learn/speculate the actions of Wraith Fleet.

I propose that either all base postings go through DeSylva(or appointee)before being posted; or all posts be made tentative to a higer power's approval(ultimately Derek, but could just as easily be DeSylva or someone else with the abillity to make impartial judgements).

Those Starstations/Starbases not approved either don't get posted/approval to post, or are simply removed with the obligatory *choose another location* email to the Fleet/Squadron Commander responsible.

Derek, we all realise that you are very busy creating a universe that has already hooked many of us. With the advent of some kind of filtering, it should make your job easier when it comes time to make a final decision about what is included or excluded.

I hope this was constructive. Please feel free to comment (negatively or positively) my feelings aren't easily hurt. smile.gif

Cmdr. Akira <br>

ICV-Nevermore<br>

Raven

Guest Steve Naylor

quote:

I'm confident that Raven Squadron will have no problem ripping holes in the Wraith fleet on my way to Actis-V.

Of this I wouldn't be too certain Cmdr. Akira, but then we'll have to wait for multi to find out smile.gif

I like your proposal, btw. Makes sense to sort out the logistics before handing it to the CiC.

Steve Naylor

Commanding, GCV Rising Star - Wraith Fleet

[This message has been edited by Steve Naylor (edited 10-11-98).]

Alrighty then lads, here's my take on the situation. You remember a little place called the Fleet Operations Center... smile.gif

I designed the Fleet Operations Center, with it's password-protected structure, for exactly this reason - so that commanders who wished to create a base, and keep it's location secret, could submit it to me. I could then place it on the appropriate section of Fleet Operations, where only those who belong to the appropriate group, and have the correct password, could access it.

Of course, this leaves us open to defectors, etc. - but after all, that's the way it is in real life, as well.

So, Derek, if you would like to simply take emails, put the bases in the game, and forward the emaisl to me to out into the Fleet Operations Center, then they go into the game, and only the right people find out about them. Or, you could do it the other way - get everyone to email their proposals to me, and I'll collate them, advise of any problems, and once I have all of the locations reconciled, will send them to you. Or, the third option - you take care of it and make the locations public. Your call.

One thing, though - if I was doing this, from a pure RP point of view, I'd be looking at balance and realism. For instance, a base located outside of controlled space (ie. a covert ops base for a GALCOM fleet located outside a GALCOM system) would have to be tailored to fit it's role - ie. small, tucked away behind some non-descript moon, away from main travel ways. That kind of thing.

Just my two dollars worth (inflation is taking effect...)

Ron said:

quote:

I propose that either all base postings go through DeSylva(or appointee)before being posted; or all posts be made tentative to a higer power's approval(ultimately Derek, but could just as easily be DeSylva or someone else with the abillity to make impartial judgements).

You are right. Therefore, all base/station locations should go through DeSylva. The idea is to ensure that nobody goes and plonks bases in regions which would cause a blockade. However, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't worry about that though, because AI entities will simply barge right through. But yes, I agree that Rattler needs to sanction all bases/stations. If there are any changes, Tac & co, simply go back and edit your messages in the thread where you listed your bases.

You guys need to print out the system map and take a look at the entire galaxy carefully too.