Fleet Proposal

This was sent to me by DeSylva and I approved it.

quote:

Hi Derek.

Just a quick note form me to let you know that we are currently discussing

this issue of new fleets and multiplayer gaming groups (which we are

referring to as Squadrons, as opposed to Clans). Just letting you know my

personal position on the matter - which is that I vehemently oppose any

attempts to regulate the formation of multiplayer squadrons.

My reasons? I believe it would be a serious blow to the multiplayer

credibility of the game if the testers, etc. started harrassing players and

telling them not to call themselves anything they want because it's "not

official". I think it will give the game a bad reputation and send gamers

scuttling back to Descent or whatever other flavour is currently popular.

I believe that the entire scene will be self regulating anyway. Serious

multiplayer gamers get into the spirit of the universe they are playing in

because it aids their concentration and effort. Non-serious gamers who try

and create ridiculous squadrons such as "X-Wing Rogue BC3020AD" will not be

taken seriously, will end up playing only each other, and are likely to be

harrassed off the major servers anyway by all the other players.

I also don't believe this need impact on the fleets at all. The fleets have

a right to field multiplayers using the fleet name and that will bring those

players a lot of respect because the other players will realise they've been

around long enough to become a member of that fleet. However, multiplayer

squadrons don't automaticaly become fleets and have the same rights. The big

difference between fleets and squadrons is that fleets are officially

recognised in the history of the BC universe and in the game itself with

fleet starstations, etc. There doesn't need to be any modification to the

current structure, because squadrons don't belong in that structure.

So my vote is for absolutely no regulation at all. The squadrons that become

really good, and develop a strong history and one that is consistent with

the BC universe, may eventually become affiliated with current fleets; or

may become so popular and so original that they become fleets of their own,

subject to your approval, of course. What more control needs there be? To

try and impose any more restrictions just leads to a lot of hard work for

us, and very little fun for the players. The squadrons WILL stick to

historically consistent names and activities, especially if there is a good,

juicy, and varied history for them to choose from. Speaking of which, did

you receive my proposal concerning the BC3020AD history?

Yours,

Commander DeSylva

GALCOM Fleet Command

Geocities Email: [email protected]

Personal Webpages:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206

ISS Fleet Coordinator

Fleet Email: [email protected]

ISS Webpages:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss

"Serve - with Honour."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in short, the fleet structures remain as is and I will be solely responsible for approving the creation of new fleets, based on history, performance and length of service.

All current groups with alliances, remain as is.

If you are not part of an authorized fleet (you must seek entry approval from the fleet leader) then you can form your own squadron. The rule being that a squadron, to be even taking seriously, should consist of more than 2 players.

Also, those not allied to GALCOM (GCV), Earthcom (ECV) or Insurgent (ICV) fleets, cannot use these designations. Ever.

You can create any sort of squadron you want and of any race or caste in the game itself. If you want to be a Gammulan Raider, thats fine, just remember that you won't then be able to join any or create an official fleet because traditionally, only military structures, ie, Gammulan Military, have a disciplined fleet structure. I will more than likely authorize a Gammulan Military fleet and give them their own station and designation in the game and mp world, than a bunch of Gammulan raiders; for obvious reasons.

You can also create a special squadron unit. For instance, if you check the links page at www.bc3000ad.com/links you will see ISS Fleet Tactical Support, 15th Space Marine Battalion and 7th Orbital Marine Battalion. These are very creative and thats why I authorized them. These are like small command units, part of a larger fleet, (ISS and PRIME) and they specialize in certain ops. Kinda like Recon, Airborne, SEAL and other structures that we find in modern day military structure. We have a huge universe, with space and planetary worlds, so we can be as creative as we want to be, within the guidelines of the world premise.

Finally, the UCV (Undesignated Command Vessel) must be used for all units created outside the approved heirarchy unless you are part of a Military caste structure (regardless of race), then DCV (Designated Command Vessel) must be used. It makes my life easier without having to remember the dozens of permutations that may creep up if I made it a free for all.

As for ranks, I am hesitant to to make this open ended for obvious reasons, but, if you are going to use ranks within your squadron, you cannot (a) use any of the official GALCOM form (B) you must have a structure.

So, don't go putting something like Brigadier General in your sig because then I'd ask the squad leader (the responsible party who can have the highest rank available if he/she so desires) how the structure works. Its about discipline.

Here is an example of a squad sig. You can also create logos for your squads if you like. Note that the race/caste is important because you are operating outside the normal structure.

Once this all gets organized, I will extend the roster page and will enter all the squadron names there as time goes on.

Cmdr Jack Case

Gammulan/Military

DCV-Garibaldi

8th Tactical Airborne Unit

If its moving, shoot it

www.tacunit.com

or

Cmdr Jack Case

Gammulan/Raider

UCV-Garibaldi

Hide it or lose it.

www.raidersrule.com

I hope this satisfys all sides. We will take a week to iron out the fine details based on this ongoing debate and I will make this official and the law, within 7 days. I do not want to see any new squadrons until this debate is finalized and closed.

SpacePhish, you posted while I was composing so I deleted your post. I wanted to have those two posts in sequence. So, post again if you have something worth reading. I do not want to see any frivolous posts such as the hooray... nonsense I just read and deleted. This is a serious thread and I plan on keeping it that way.

You have been warned.

I have a question SC. Can I create my own Military, kinda like GalCom Military but just my own military? I would like to have my one tag but I am only asking if the answer is no than I respect that. You probley answered that but I probley didn't understand if that was somting that you were meaning.

Thanks.

------------------

A fool chatters as the wiseman listens...

SpacePhish; Points 1,2,and 3 were already answered in Derek's post above I believe. Point 4 would be up to each player in MP and how they react to you. #5 I think would be the same as it is now. If I were a Galcom player and wanted to make some bucks on illegal items I would make darn sure I would dock with a station that allowed them. smile.gif All of this is part of the roleplay aspect of multiplay and it's up to you to decide how to do it.

This is about the Squadrons themselves. Did DeSylva's and Derek's posts seem fair to you? They did to me. To use Derek's example I think you would sign as

Commander Spacephish

Terran/Raider

UCV Cap of Delight

(Squad name)

(Squad motto or quote)

I am in total agrrement with DeSylva's suggestion and Derek's additions. I have long wondered exactly how, when (and If) other fleets were allowed exactly how the gammulans were going to post a designation. GCV? NO; that's Galcom. smile.gif GaCV? Dorky. Posting Race/caste is excellent for those that are not readily reconized by GCV, ICV, and ECV designations.

One small thing. If I just wanted to get on a server and go crazy I should be able to make "Squad dipstick" and play. For instance If no other insurgents were online and I just had to have my fix. smile.gif

It wasn't mentioned so there it is. I'm positive it's available but I don't want anyone thinking I'm advocating "You have to stay in the same squad" sort of thing. This falls right inline with the nonregulatory points mentioned above for the servers.

It all seems extremely fair to me.

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 08-12-99).]

An idea about ranks. There are two types of them: An official, SC approved, GALCOM (like) rank, and your squad rank, made up by yourself and/or approved by your squad leader.

Now let's just use them both, at their right place: GALCOM first, squad rank (or fleet rank, that is) later. Example:

Commander William "Wild Bill" Smith

Terran/Raider

UCV-Flying Horse

Brigadier General, 4th Brigadier

"We are right behind you!"

(other stuff)

If you happen to be member of an official fleet, you do not need the race/caste line, and should therefore put your fleet name above (or below) your squad rank, name stuff.

Further, you do not need to use your GALCOM like rank in the sig, but you have to keep things in order, i.e. you are not allowed to put your squad rank in front of your sig instead your GALCOM like rank.

Greetings.

------------------

Commander Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Commander, Marauders Wing

=Wraith Fleet=

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

P.S. Changed my sig in this message according to the above rules as another example.

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 08-13-99).]

Okay, then this is a 2nd hand idea. smile.gif

I just wonder now: are you pro or contra this idea?

Greetings.

------------------

Joe Gudihl, GCV-Dark Star (Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series)

=Wraith Fleet=

Good idea. My suggestion would be to keep it simple and legal.

------------------

Cmdr. Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

Commander, Corsair Wing

=Wraith Fleet=

Bushi of the Dragon Council

"Run Silient, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270

What would we do without De Sylva? :-)

I agree completely with De Sylva in this matter, and I'm very glad the SC supports it. MP will be a blast!

------------------

Fleet Commander

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi

=Wraith Fleet=

"Hard,Fast, Furious...FIRST!"

Thanks guys. I hope I haven't trodden on anyone's feet in this matter, and I did make it clear to the SC that it was my personal opinion in the matter. It makes sense to me.

Any compliments, send to [email protected]. Abuse, please send to [email protected]. No, noly kidding, any problems can be addressed to [email protected] as well.

Looks like it's time to put together that Raider squad I was thinking about...or will I go the Trader way? *laugh*.

------------------

Commander DeSylva

GCV First Light ISS01 -=- ISS Fleet Coordinator

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss/

Official BC3K Tester and Blind Man With Sleeves award winner

"Serve - with honour."

quote:

and your squad rank, made up by yourself and/or approved by your squad leader.

Thomas, this is incorrect. People cannot make up ranks and that is not what I said. It is up to the squad leader to come up with a rank structure before it is used by any of its members. If I see a rank and challenge it and find that it is an arbitrary rank with no structure, I'll take the appropriate action.

I stand corrected, sir! redface.gif

Greetings.

------------------

Joe Gudihl, GCV-Dark Star (Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series)

=Wraith Fleet=

SC- If the following question is stupid, then deal with accordingly:

If a Commander decides to stay affiliated with a fleet, but wants to be, say a merc, would this be permitted? They would be a merc. under orders, can do?

"Commander Maxamillian

Terran/Mercenary

GALCOM Prime/SecretOpsDiv

GCV-Dreadnaught

(data)

(data)"

This is what I am thinking....

'MAX'

------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught

ICQ#34741

GALCOMPRIME

Shipsmotto: "Retreat? Hell!"

[This message has been edited by Maxamillian (edited 08-14-99).]

Guest Ron Wallin

That's easy, Max. You play fleet in RolePlay, but you play Merc in MultiPlayer.

However, the two CANNOT mix. The moment you come to this site and leave a sig as a Merc, then you are no longer part of ANY recognized fleet.

You will no longer use the GCV ship designation but rather the UCV ship designation.

------------------

Cmdr. Akira

ICV Nevermore

Spectre, Command Staff

Base Commander, The Dojo

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

Guest Hunter

Hmmmm, perhaps non-Fleet affiliated ships should go without a designation. After all, UCV sounds exactly as it is, a designation given to a non designated ship. Now any self respecting (I wont say Privateer) ummm 'Raider' would not go galavanting around the system with some designation given to them by Galcom. smile.gif

I realize this is Dereks wish, I'm probably not saying anything new, but if I am...something to think about.

Oh yeah, I know the designations arent given by Galcom, just sounds that way.

Hunter, the UCV designation was not given by GALCOM. It is a method by which universal computer systems identify ships with no designations, like IFF. Duh!

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 08-15-99).]

Uhhh.... Commander SpacePhish, I thought that someone told us not to mix MP signatures with current postings on the forums. I could be wrong, but IF I were you, I'd drop that Terran/Raider part from my signature until I could actually play that part. JMHO though. smile.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Just Doin' What I can with What I got!

That was probably me from the example in my above post. I didn't qualify whether it should be a "multiplay only sig" or a possible "forum sig" because I am rather fuzzy on that myself. I think Ron is absolutely right in that they should not mix.

Mech has been using it per Derek's instructions. Waiting for the go-ahead does seem to be the best course of action though. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester