Pre-emptive Strike (comments)

Charles Lindsey

IC 1 pilot Banish is still alive, has a full missile loadout, and is ready to kick ass. smile.gif Let's get this show back on the road.

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

Prime Fleet

Commander, SIN Wing

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way."

- John Paul Jones

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I'm still around, but trust everything to start happening at once just when I've got lots of coursework to do. Grr. I might get something done if I'm in real need of a break from course-related stuff, but I should back to sort of normal (if there is such a state for me) by the end of the week.

See ya,

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Jury duty today. I hear they interview you then it's hurry up and wait. Should have plenty of time to think things up. 24 eh? shouldn't be a problem. wink.gif Hopefully you won't kill anyone off in the first wave.

Saw ST:Insurrection last night. Not great but ok. But I have a good idea of what you are talking about. They dropped like flies in the movie though.

I Promise not to get too creative. I'll just post and let you roll the dice.

Charles

Heh I had thought of accidentily being in the shuttles when all this went on but I reread your post and saw you put us in position. Ah well. There it is. What? 8 or 9 people. Twelve Galcom droids and "my" six. Four manning ATV's. Time to start getting creative. smile.gif Hopefully I ain't dead yet.

Charles

• 3 weeks later...

Ok people, we in END GAME territory now. Six more days and this will all be wrapped up. Post short, post often. Take your eyes off the board too long and I will ICE your asses dead.

There will be a brief pause between my output over the weekend (Madam needs attending to) but everything will pick up again come monday. I'm usually slacking off during the wee hours of the mornin here, so you american fellas have no excuse NOT to keep up to date.

Lets make this BC history folks, I know you can do it. smile.gif

------------------

BLADES Ôäó

ORION FLEET COMMANDER

[TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP]

GCV TSUNAMI

'For Queen and country'

You may have to Jump in that pilots seat yourslf Mojo. smile.gif I'm a bit vague on the specifics but I believe the IC copilot actually has access to more systems than the pilot. As It should be. The copilot watches your back and keeps the thing flying while the pilot does the dirty work. Correct? I'm looking forward to this chapter. smile.gif

Charles/Chavik/McKendrick

If anybody else wants to jump in and do some stuff, nows the time to do it. If things dont start movin along real soon, I'm gonna start writing people out of the plot in real explosive and messy ways.

The end is nigh !

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.hastur.freeserve.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

Anyone remember the BC3k film competition Desylva started? I reckon this story would win hands down. It's got everything - good characters, good plot, it reveals a lot about the galcom universe and doesn't rely on too many non-game technologies.

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

Hmmm .... funny you should say that. smile.gif

A while ago In another thread I said once this beast was finished with, I was going to convert it into a BC story or mini novel. I've already confirmed the basis of the plot (Not ever so different from what we have done here) but will include a few twists and turns that havent been dealt with in this version.

I had wanted to have it done by about christmas time, but I think we all know thats not gonna happen. smile.gif

Providing we get the thread sorted by christmas, expect to see it written and available to view in it's true form by about April 2000.

BTW, my next post is going to clear the way for the finale, so if you want to do somthing mroe about those goons (Theres a good 12 of them left still) I'd get on with it real damn quick. A word of advice? Leave Mallone himself alone for now, I got plans for him. Plus, since you guys dont really know whats goin on and when, it might be nice to take a prisoner.

Just a thought. smile.gif

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.hastur.freeserve.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

Hehe Blades I had forgotten you said that but I was about to say the same thing. Clean it up and present it. That would be too cool.

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

Uh .... Ron?

Where you at buddy? I'm goin away for christmas and need to do a follow up to your missing post before I get merry in London.

Clocks a tickin .....

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

When did you sneak in Blades? smile.gif I'm still thinking and got a good mind of what to do. I haven't forgotten anything it's just the holiday's and all that. Don't write me out yet. I still have to get Jensen back to the bridge(?) and get further instructions from Neena.

"And miles to go before I sleep"

Blades: I'll wait until you update, to see if one of the Chikuma crew still aboard can locate the RANDOM. I'm also going on vacation (what wonderful timing wink.gif ), so some time between now and your update will be helpful. I shall try to post not too long after you update.

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

Prime Fleet

Commander, SIN Wing

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way."

- John Paul Jones

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings, all. Sorry I haven't posted in a while (exams, still)

I was going to say something a while back about the enormously long travelling times in this story not being consistent with the game, but I never did. Also, in the fight between Mallone and the doc, I don't think the doc would have kicked Mallone in the face. It's pretty difficult to reach up there, especially for someone not practised in hand-to hand combat. Maybe in the stomach. And then there's the launch. The words "extreme range" bringing it forward by nearly 4 hours and "still be three hours from the rest of the fleet" can't really place us in the same region, we'd have to be at least two or three away, even by this story's journey times. I realise that this is all way to late and would mess up quite a lot of the story, but it doesn't quite "fit" to me. Sorry.

Oh, well one semi-disastrous performance this morning, only two more to go,

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

In System Support (ISS) Fleet

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 01-24-2000).]

Time to settle a few things ....

I know I've mentioned this somwhere else in the last few months, but I think I should

mention it again to answer this criticism. To begin, the travel times I have used during this entire story are NOT based on those in the game.

The type of story I am telling is character driven, and although based on the BC3K premis, it wouldnt work if it was restricted to the exact game mechanics.

As far as I see it, realistically, you cant expect to travel from one side of the galaxy to the other in a little over an hours time. It just doesnt fit. It doesnt seem real. Space is vast and travel between locations, even with the advantage of jump gates and wormholes it should still take its time. If were were to liken existing naval travel to BC3K game travel times, it would be like sailing from Portsmouth to New York in a little 40 minutes, real time.

I have chosen, in this story at least, to extend the length of time it takes for a ship to travel from one location to another. This is my choice, and I stand by it. If you want my opinion on how travel in the game should be handled, it's with the same restrictions. This, of course, is just my opinion and as far as multiplay is concerned, it wouldnt work for obvious reasons.

The game works as it is with travel handled in this way. BC fiction, in my opinion, doesnt.

I doubt very much that Deker would himself write BC3K fiction to coincide with the games travel durations. Tell me if I'm wrong, please.

To the next point ...

Doctor kicks Mallone in the face. Ok, I think we're nit picking, but I'll answer it.

For one, the Doctor IS a military man. As far as I have seen it, he's done his time at bootcamp and knows how to handle himself in hand to hand combat. Kicking Mallone in the face is reasonable. It's not that difficult for someone with a little martial arts training to extend their leg far enough to clop another person in the head. Mallone is not a giant, and the Doctor isnt exactly short. Besides, considering Mallones wounds, he is unlikely to be extending himself to his full height, plus the doctor had the advantage of surprise. Maybe going for the chest is more realistic. Who cares? The doctor gets to kick some ass, he deserves to do it with some style. We are talking heroic characters, not random cannon fodder. Heroes deserve to be a little larger than life.

Ok, the launch ...

If you recall, the Chikuma was set on autopilot and was following a waypoint schedule that would bring it into an optimum firing position to coincide with Stiles's planned assault. Because of several complications, the attack and launch time was moved forward by several hours. This was explained in the communication from Stiles to Mallone. As for the distance between the Chikuma and Stiles's fleet, again, this was based on the Chikumas autopilot course and NOT on relative distance. Once the Chikuma was brought off auto pilot and was free to navigate manually, it allowed the crew (If the so desired) to intercept much quicker.

Basically, from any time after the RANDOM device was installed on the modified probe, it could have been launched. However, the launch of the probe had to coincide with the attack by Stiles fleet on the station. This was always part of the plan. When the attack was brought forward by Stiles, the launch was also brought forward. So long as you understand all this, there shouldnt be a problem.

Finally, I know there has been a little bit of inconsistincy in the plot. Well, thats bound to happen and there isnt really an awful lot I can do about it. Without modifying peoples posts to suit what I want them to do, you are gonna get some drift. However, if I was to do that, it kinda takes the creativity side out of it for a lot of people. So I dont. I may make suggestions to some people, or 'hint' at a possible way of doing things to assist the plot, but I will not write the story for them.

As far as I am concerned, those people participating have done an excellent job on the whole of keeping it consistent. This story has spanned tens of thousands of words, months of creative effort and, in my opinion, has been emmense fun.

Anyway, as per usual comments, suggestions for the future and even criticism is always welcome.

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

ROFL Badgerius! But they are far from indestructable.

I thought long and hard before posting the antics I did. Your own shuttles don't have much AI other than what you tell them to do and an occasional RTB thrown in. The only ones that come close to an AI are the ones spit out by the larger carriers after they are destroyed. They have a FLEE order. Some of those are hard to catch. smile.gif

Given that and wondering how they would do with a "real" (there are no dedicated shuttle pilots) pilot led me to post what I did. I think it's consistent with the universe. Shuttles can fly as fast as IC's but they don't have that AI in the game. Ehhhh, that's one of the things we can fudge. Give a shuttle a real pilot and it's rather formidable IMHO. I wanted to prove that in the story. But she is falling apart as we speak. smile.gif I'm still waiting on the follow-up. smile.gif

Here is where it gets tough. I do not agree with the no "intra-region" jump thing and I stated it before to Blades somewhere. Would you take Warp speed from the Enterprise or Hyperspeed from the Millenium Falcon? Of course not. Those things are part of those universes. Jumps are part of the BC universe.

Blades and I ageed to disagree on this subject. Let it ride for this story. I may have one more good post left in me. smile.gif

Charles/McKendrick

Erm .... just to point a wee little detail out. The disagreement thing we had a while ago wasnt really about ruling out the use of hyperdrive or anything like that, just the time it takes to travel from one location to another and the time that the hyperjump engines need to recharge before allowing a jump.

The flight model in the game is fine, I just dont personally agree with the durations of travel.

And Charles, it's ready for you to post whenever you are.

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

I agree with the shuttle bit. In the hands of a good pilot, the shuttle can really hold its own.

But...

Any craft that could survive direct contact with an exploding RANDOM Nuke even out of the atmosphere is pretty tough, in my books. wink.gif

The GCV Calypso requests whatever is left of that shuttle, for scientific analysis and research into improving hull design. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Badgerius, GCV Diligence

On detached duty, GCV Calypso

ICQ 48801556

quote:

just the time it takes to travel from one location to another and the time that the hyperjump engines need to recharge before allowing a jump.

That's not bad. I must have misunderstood ealier. Even in the game, repairing one little item can take hours. Just plain old docking and trading ought to elpase a fair chunk even though the game doesn't elapse time for that. Fair trade off for story telling in my opinion. Factor in comms and what not and yes it takes a long time to get prepared and get there.

Badgerius, that particular shuttle was modified with two power sources in an earlier part. Plus the sensors showed it was about to explode so McKendrick had a few seconds to get away. It wasn't quite the direct hit you're thinking of. I admit I did fudge a little bit to make people think that. smile.gif Makes for a great "Out of the jaws of death and saves the day" post don't ya think. wink.gif

If you still want to see it put in a requisition to Neena Polovoski. {G}

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Close what down Blades? You did an excellent job with it. I don't feel any more input is needed. You covered everything. It's wonderful as it is. I'm glad to have participated. That was a blast. smile.gif I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Perhaps again. {G}

I think he meant close the thread so there won't be any posts after his epilogue, unless I've misunderstood that completely. Yeah, it's been cool, good fun. Now if you can just run Orion as well as you've run this then the insurgency will have an awful lot of worries come BCM smile.gif

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

In System Support (ISS) Fleet