Orion Starstation: The Orion Lounge

Joseph Bosch

Guest Matt Stryker

As commander Hamblin thrust out his first hand Stryker regarded the book and smiled slightly, good way to break the ice he thought. He watched the other man shift his hand and make his apology.

"That's fine, er, Commander Matthew Stryker, GCV BlackStar, you are?"

He shook the man's hand with a firm shake.

His eyes turned to the other commander who approached and he returned the nod.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Commander Hamblin

The guy looked briefly at my book before taking my hand and shaking it, firmly.

After he introduced himself, I said "Commander James Hamblin, GCV Galatea. Nice to meet you Commander Stryker."

I noticed Commander Bosch walking by, obviously here for the briefing as well. He gave a curt nod in our general direction. Stryker nodded back, and so did I. Bosch was now wearing a rather large military sabre on the side of his uniform.

I wondered for a moment if that was allowed in the regulations, but decided to let it pass. It probably was, as long as it wasn't a danger to his fellow officers.

In the few seconds that these thoughts briefly flitted through my mind, I had released my hand from Stryker, and had decided to make small talk with him, to pass the time. Bosch was obviously preoccupied with something else, so I decided to leave him alone with his thoughts.

I suddenly noticed that Stryker looked a little haggared. "So...you know, you look a little tired. Did your ship see some combat out there?"

[This message has been edited by Commander Hamblin (edited 11-07-1999).]

Guest Matt Stryker

Stryker nodded to Hamblin as he regarded the other.

"Yes Commander, some Insugents were making a raid on a cargo ship near Mars, the BlackStar was the only vessel close enough. Hardly combat ready, she'd just been refitted a few days ago. Still and SOS is an SOS." He shook his head at the memory for a moment. "I wouldn't mind but the weapons systems and shields were not fully intergrated."

He paused waiting for Hamblin's reaction.

Noting Bosch's Saber and his solitary mood.

------------------

Matt Stryker (Commander)

GCV - BlackStar

Orion Fleet

Guest Commander Hamblin

I sighed, agreeing with him.

"Yep, I guess that our work out there is never done, is it? There's always Insurgents or Raiders or Gammulans, or some damned pirate hoping to get a piece of a Galcom Battlecruiser and sell it.

"Still, I suppose you get used to it after a while."

Guest Matt Stryker

Stryker nodded and smiled slightly.

"Still Commander, you wouldn't trade it for all the Tea in Galcom would you?"

He chuckled slightly. "Good point, would you happen to know where I can get a decent cup of coffee around here?"

At last Matt's face broke into a grin, a welcome sight and relief for once.

------------------

Matt Stryker (Commander)

GCV - BlackStar

Orion Fleet

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

As Dilvorn approached the entrance to MISCON he noticed that there was already a small group of Commanders standing outside. He recognised one from the bar, how could he have forgotten the face after such an outburst.

Dilvorn figured it was time to break the ice and get to know some of his fellow commanders, so he walked up to the small group and introduced himself, "Cmdr Josh Dilvorn, GCV Conquest. Any of you guys know what this is about?"

------------------

GCV Conquest

ISS Fleet - Tactical Support Arm

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

Guest Commander Hamblin

I turned to face the new Commander who had just arrived, and introduced himself as Commander Josh Dilvorn of the GCV Conquest.

GCV Conquest...there was something about that. I may not know any other Commanders very well, but I always tried to keep up to date on fleet movements, and the Conquest sounded familiar. I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Hi, James Hamblin, GCV Galatea, and nope, I have, right now, no idea what this is about. I've just been pacing about here for the last ten minutes."

[This message has been edited by Commander Hamblin (edited 11-09-1999).]

Guest Matt Stryker

Stryker listened and grinned, "Then he met me."

He extended his hand to Josh, "Commander, Matthew Stryker, GCV, BlackStar."

------------------

Matt Stryker (Commander)

GCV - BlackStar

Orion Fleet

Leaving the lounge for safer pastures felt like an extreemly good idea to Fleet Commander Blades. The entire *incident* there had panicked him beyond rational thought. When the SC and the other officers (Including THE offending junior) had made their way out of there to attend the briefing, he had stayed a few moments longer to once again ponder the wisdom of accepting the promotion to Fleet Commander.

It had been a good idea at the time. More money, luxury quaters on a starstation and not to mention the sudden and unexpected babe factor that had been thrust upon him had somewhat clouded his judgement.

Right now, he didnt feel as if he was worthy of wearing a bog standard Commanders uniform let alone one that dentoted Fleet Command status.

Still, what he lacked in ready experience he more than made up for in luck. Sadly, that luck swung both ways. Some days things went well for him (The Chikuma incident for one sprang to mind) and others (Like today in the lounge) went badly.

Whatever the case, like it or not he was the Orion Fleet Commander, and he figured he had best start acting like one. Even if he wasnt confident in his *ahem* abilities like his superiors were, he could probably bluff his way through it until a suitably disasterous occasion arose that would have him demoted and court martialed.

Sigh ... how he longed for the quiet anarchy of chief requisitions clerk back at GHQ.

A few minutes later, and after asking several confused looking personel of the location of the MISCON briefing area, he stumbled upon a group of newbie and veterain commanders from various fleets. He recognized a couple of them. First was Commander Hamblin, his unnoficially official leutenant and the newbie commander that had handed him the napkins during part one of the *incident*. There was another Orion officer, another newbie he didnt really recognise. Then there was an ISS fleet member that (As far as he understood it) had no business being there in the first place.

However, since he himself had no idea what he was really doing there, let alone anyone else he thought it best to bluff it out and try and look confident and authoritive.

"Fleet Commander," started the napkin newbie. "do you have any idea what this is all about, sir?"

Blades pulled a face, made an uncomfortable noise through his nose and shrugged his shoulders.

Bollocks!

"Ah .....", Blades started to reply, trying to counter his latest screw up with somthing intelligent.

"That is to say, there is little I can actually divulge at this precise moment."

The other commanders gathered around him, awaiting more information.

"And by little," continued the Fleet Commander. "I mean nothing at all."

Blades smiled quickly and sighed. "That is all. As you were."

Well recovered, Blades thought to himself.

I agree, said voice of the day number 7.

Blades concluded that it was well past the time when he should have taken his medication.

------------------

Fleet Commander Blades

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

GALCOM ORION Fleet

'For Queen and country'

ICQ#43692958

Guest Neath Southern Skies

[rp]

Commander Robertson turned the corner, studying the map in his hand, before noticing the gaggle of commanders crowding the corridor.

"I take it that this is the briefing area," I asked one of them, "Is it open yet?"

This is almost a rhetorical question, as I severely doubted that they used public (for a military station) corridors as briefing rooms.

[/rp]

------------------

'Neath Southern Skies

Commander Robertson

GCV Southern Skies

"Shoot first, then shoot the survivors!"

[This message has been edited by Neath Southern Skies (edited 11-12-1999).]

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

Dilvorn recognised the approach of Fleet Cmdr Blades. So far Josh was the only non-member of Orion fleet and this made he feel a little uneasy. "Why would an ISS fleet commander be summoned to an Orion fleet briefing," he thought to himself, "it must either be something real important or a complete stuff up."

------------------

GCV Conquest

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

[rp]As Ben repeatedly scraped over the same region of his face he thought to himself, 'I've got to get a new razor sometime.' He managed to remove every trace of visible stubble, then repeatedly splashed his face with cold water in an attempt to wake himself up properly. If he got out of bed as soon as he woke up, he normally was fine for the rest of the day. Today he had slept in a strange bed on Orion Station that had just been too comfortable. When he concluded that he still wasn't really waking up, he dropped to the floor and did a quick thirty press-ups. Not enough to wear him out, but enough to get the adrenaline flowing for the next couple of hours. Feeling suitably recharged (at least temporarily) he headed over to MISCON.

Upon arriving, he saw quite a few unfamiliar faces (not that he was very good at getting to know people, but he was usually able to recognise people he had met before. Usually the other person would remember his name, or have been told it by someone else, but Ben would have absolutely no idea what their name was, which only served to emphasise his social inadequacies. Recently he had made a resolution to combat this trend.)

He introduced himself to one of the people he was reasonably sure he'd never met.

"Good morning Commander! I'm Ben Zwycky of the Svoboda."[/rp]

You're not on your own anymore, Josh. wink.gif

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Guest Commander Hamblin

I was in the middle of talking with Josh Dilvorn and Matt Stryker when, suddenly, Blades came round the corner.

'Well, I guess now is as good a time as ever to apologise to him.' I thought.

I quickly said to Matt and Josh "Excuse me for a minute." Before turning to face Blades and walking up to him.

Unfortunately, every other Commander in the corridor had noticed him as well, and were now gathering around him, as though he were about to make a speech or something.

After Blades managed to mumble out something about not being able to give out any more before saying "As you were." All the other Commanders then went back to there conversations before Blades arrived.

I walked up to him and said "Sir...about back there in the lounge...I hope you didn't take offense at my outburst sir."

Fleet Commander Blades looked up at the taller officer. Trying not to be intimidated by his subordinate (And searching his brain for a reason as to why he shouldnt have him court matrialed then hung drawn and quatered) he decided it was best to have this conversation later.

"See me in my office after the briefing, commander."

I heard the murmur of polite conversation spill around the corner as I neared the corridor to MISCON and I slowed my pace. Apparently I wasn't going to be late afterall; no need to appear to be rushed, especially if the Old Man was already here. I turned the corner and headed toward the group milling around outside of MISCON. Good, I didn't see the SC among them, just a half a dozen commanders or so. I might have glimpsed an ISS insignia, but most seemed to be Orion Fleet. Makes sense, I thought, it is their station. But how come everybody is out here?

I wasn't in the mood for the standard "hurry up and wait" routine so prevalent in the military. I just wanted to get into MISCON, get briefed and get back to the Stratos. That didn't seem likely to happen. I suspected the Old Man was intentionally holding things up just to build the suspense. Well, whether he really had a flair for the dramatic or it was just my imagination, I couldn't see any reason for standing around out here making cocktail-party chit-chat when I figured there was a room full of chairs just on the other side of the door.

"See me in my office after the briefing, commander," I heard a familiar voice say as I approached the group. I looked toward the speaker and saw that damned clerk from GALCOMHQ addressing one of the Orion commanders. He and I had gone round and round over 5,000 units of radishes that had shown up in the Stratos' fuel bay. I could still recall his cocky whine when I went to find out what the hell was going on. "Radishes, radine, what's the difference? Look, I've got more important things to do than worry about your vegetable preferences." They've finally sent some flunky down to open the briefing room, I thought. I certianly hope Orion has better luck with him than HQ, at least he won't be mucking up Prime Fleet anymore. I started to tell him to get his ass in gear and open the door when I was struck by his uniform. Not the fresh stains on it, mind you, but the rank--Fleet Commander. I bit my tounge and quickly looked down at the floor. Damn if I hadn't almost made a fool of myself over a case of mistaken identity. But he sure as hell looked and sounded like that miserable clerk. Oh well, no harm done I guess. Take a couple of deep breaths and break the ice you idiot, you're standing too close now not to say something.

"Excuse me, Fleet Commander, Lynx Pherrett of the Stratos. Seems to be getting a bit crowded out here, would you mind if I went in and took a seat while we wait for the briefing to start?"

------------------

Cmdr Pherrett

GCV-STRATOS

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

-- George Santayana

"You got to change your evil ways"

--Carlos Santana

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

More and more commanders found their way to MISCON including one who introduced himself as Ben Zwycky. He knew that name. Cmdr Zwycky was a fellow member of the ISS Fleet. "Hi, Cmdr Dilvorn, GCV Conquest. I was beginning to think that I was going to be the only commander from ISS here. Must be something big if they've called us here too."

Dilvorn had read reports on Commander Zwycky's velvet strike operation aginst the Vesperon forces and was rather impressed.

After watching another commander approach Dilvorn turned to Ben and said, "I guess now we just wait for the SC to get here."

------------------

GCV Conquest

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Josh Dilvorn (edited 11-09-1999).]

Somerset had talked with some green Commander for a short time. He hadn't even thought about getting the young officer's name. He wondered if he'd see him again, as he wandered back to Shawn sitting on the stool, slowly sipping his Scotch. "Feeling any better, Shawn?" he asked.

"Let's just say that I'm nae feelin' any pain, sair," the ruddy engineer replied.

The pair was startled when they heard a large crash behind them. Some poor fool had run right into a waiter carrying a tray loaded with food. What made it even worse was the fact that the officer hadn't gotten all of the food off of him, before walking to the table where a couple was sitting. From what they had heard, the Supreme Commander was seated in that booth.

And now that officer who had made such a mess was going to try and make friends with the highest ranking officer in the GCN. Shawn turned back to the table, saying slowly, "Poor Fleet Commander. I doubt he'll hae much of a good talk with the SC in that condition."

"Fleet Commander?" Somerset asked, noticing the rank insignia adorning the other man's collar. "Bloody hell..." he said as his voice drifted off. Somerset was certainly glad that he wasn't in that mans shoes. "Shawn, do you know who that is? I've never seen him before."

"Nae have I. I've got nae clue who tha' man is. He's a Fleet Commander, that's all I know." Shawn replied.

It was then that Somerset's communicator decided to go off. Since he wasn't aboard ship, they couldn't merely page him. And he hadn't been on an away mission in so long that the noise had slightly startled him. As he reached for the device, and flipped it open, he realized that about 2 dozen other communicators were going off as well. I wonder what's going on... he thought to himself.

As the communicator came open, it was activated. "Somerset here, go ahead." he said loudly, to get above the din of the crowd.

"Soran here, Commander. Fleet Command has just sent us a message that there is a Commanders briefing in MISCON in 30 minutes. Your attendence is required." his First Officer informed him.

"Why? We're not even attached to this Fleet!" Somerset practically shouted.

"I am aware of that, Commander. However, the orders still remain." Soran replied.

Somerset attempted to hide a look of disgust from coming onto his face, succeeding slightly. "Damn...very well. Recall all hands, and cancel all further leaves. I've got the feeling we won't be here much longer. Get the ship prepped and patched together as soon as possible."

"Understood. Soran out." he said, closing the communication.

"Shawn, get back to the ship, double time!" Somerset ordered. "I need her ready as soon as possible."

"But, sair, she's nae had any time! We still need parts, and time to put them in! We cannae be leavin' any time soon!" the Irish engineer protested.

"There's nothing I can do. Orders are orders. I don't care how you do it, just get it done." Somerset said forcefully.

"Aye aye, sir." O'Malley said as he walked out of the Lounge.

Somerset turned and headed towards the door himself, murmuring "Now where is MISCON at, anyway...?"

-----

As he turned a corner that led to MISCON, Somerset noticed a small gathering of Commanders in the corridor. Most of them had the Orion insignia on their uniforms, but he noticed the ISS emblem on a few of the Commanders. He appeared to be the only one with the Wraith Fleet insignia on his uniform. His was probably the only Wraith ship within 50 lightyears too. He wondered just what this was about, and why they needed a SIN Wing vessel for this assignment.

It looked as though he wasn't going to be able to visit his wife while the ship was in port after all. Probably wouldn't even get the chance to talk with her before they had to pull out again. Somerset wasn't fond of that thought at all, considering he hadn't even seen her in 6 months.

But as he approached the throng of Commander's, his frustration and anger were not apparent. Instead, a smile came to his face as he recognized the Fleet Commander from the Lounge, and a few of the other officers present. As he walked up to them, he nodded, and introduced himself. "Commanders," and nodded again at the Fleet Commander "Sir. I'm Commander Benjamin Somerset of the Swiftsure."

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

Prime Fleet

Commander, SIN Wing

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way."

- John Paul Jones

[This message has been edited by Ben Somerset (edited 11-10-1999).]

The newest addition to the growing group outside the MISCON briefing room was familiar to Fleet Commander Blades. He didnt know exactly where from, however, but it was probably from back at HQ during his earlier career, and judging by the confused look on this commanders face, he was probably aware of him in his revious capacity as well.

That probably meant that the then Ensign/Leutenant J.G/Leutenant Blades (His rank was up and down like a yoyo for a good period of his other life) had probably pissed him off.

In retrospect, maybe he should have been a bit more tollerant of the occasional Commanders that strolled angrily into his requisitions office and instead of constantly missdirecting requisition orders as part of his master plan to bring down GalCom from within (Part of his rebelious youth in all likelyhood instead of a genuine desire to cause the fall of a Galactic power) it might have been more useful to build bridges, form relationships etc.

Then again, it didnt really matter now since fate had dealt him a pretty cool hand and somehow made him a fleet commander. This by itself gave him an almost god like power over people. Cool. smile.gif

However, this current commander had made a rather good suggestion, one that admitedly made him feel a little foolish (Considering he hadnt thought of it, and it was rather obvious) and decided to act upon it.

Blades cleared his throat, stepped through the assorted officers and quietly announced that it was time for the preliminary 'Get to know you' briefing.

The officers exchanged slightly confused looks (Which were ignored) and then followed Fleet Commander Blades into the MISCON briefing room.

"Please take your seats." said Blades as he stepped up to the podium and quickly thought of somthing interesting to say.

He froze, and waited for insiration.

------------------

Fleet Commander Blades

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

GALCOM ORION Fleet

'For Queen and country'

ICQ#43692958

Guest Matt Stryker

Falling Silent, close to Commander Hamblin, Stryker was content to watch and listen. When the throng moved in, so did he. And took his seat.

This is going to be interesting, he thought.

------------------

Matt Stryker (Commander)

GCV - BlackStar

Orion Fleet

[ooc] this sounds like fun. I hope you guys don't mind if I introduce my character here.

[rp]

Lt.Cmdr Soulus, walked the lonely corridors of the Orion starstation in a near complete haze. His thoughts were jumbled and confused, yet in that confusion one thing seemed to ring true, Cmdr. Rikon was dead. Dead, like the 74 other crewmembers and marines that served aboard the Storm Dragon.

It was just a routine patrol, nothing fancy, nothing that dangerous. One minute the Storm Dragon was gliding through the ionic winds of space, the next hell opened wide its gates, and let loose its children. The attack was brutal, Soulus couldn't even remember how many ships or of what make they were, all he could remember was the sound of the commanders voice as she gave her orders. She was so calm and sure of herself and her crew that there was no hesitation in her orders.

He still didn't know what to tell the crew, everyone loved her. Soulus served under many commanding officers in his short yet stellar career, yet non had touched him the way Commander Elisabeth Rikon had. Why she gave Soulus the job of XO aboard a battle cruiser was beyond him, he was hardly command material. But she did, and he was now in command of the Storm Dragon until a replacment was assigned.

Soulus flexed his arm, as he walked along the silent corridors, and felt another stab of pain in his ribs. The exploding power conduit could have done worse that singe his chest, it could have blown him across the bridge, like it did to Commander Rikon. He could still smell the burning flesh, the look of surprise etched permanently across her face

As suddenly as the memory surfaced, a familiar name sounded on the PA,"Cmdr Rikon report MISCON briefing room, Cmdr. Rikon report to MISCON briefing room."

Soulus stopped, and stared at the ceiling speakers for a long moment.

"That can't be right," he said in a weary voice.

There was no way the Cmdr. was still alive. The panel exploded right in her face, there was a peice of debris lodged in her skull, she was gone. He felt her pulse when it slowed, and finally stopped. She was gone. Soulus reached a comm panel on the corridor wall and called the Command and Control center.

"This is Lt. Cmdr Soulus, of the Storm Dragon, Cmdr Rikon is...", he felt his chest tighten for a moment before he went on.

"...Cmdr Rikon is dead, killed in action a week ago." he said in a cold, detached voice. The same voice he used when disciplining members of the crew, or giving orders. He didn't have Rikon's personality, he never would, not while he was doing his job.

The comm panel beeped again, the same voice that spoke through the PA said in a more personal tone, "I am sorry to hear that Lt.Cmdr, I only saw that the Storm Dragon was docked, and that the ships commander was released from the med bay,"

Soulus nodded to himself, he was about to tell the comm officer that he understood when another voice sounded over the comm panel,"Lt. Cmdr Soulus, you should report to the briefing room asap, until you are relieved of your post, you are acting commander of the Storm Dragon."

The comm panel cut out suddenly and left Soulus alone with his thoughts. He was in command of the Storm Dragon, he would have ot attend the briefing. A briefing full of other ship commaders. Soulus looked around, and atempted to get his bearings. He had never been to the MISCON briefing room before and the Orion was a large station. A lieutenant gave Soulus a salute and was about to continue on when he asked for directions.

After a quick jog, Soulus arrived at the entrance to the briefing room. It seemed so ordinary,like any other doorway, yet he could feel the slick sweat of his palms. He was nervous,and he was late from the sounds. The doorway was closed, and the marine guard outside of the door stood erect and at attention.

Soulus saluted the two soldiers and said calmly,"How long has it been going on?"

The marine seargent awnsered,"Not long sir, the Fleet Commander has just arrived,"

Soulus wanted to run away.

"Your kidding?" Soulus asked.

"No sir, the Supreme Commander and the Fleet Commander are both in there." the marine stated.

Soulus swore, he was already nervous about being in a room full of bonafide ship commanders. Now he was to attend a briefing, late, with the SC and FC both in attendance.

Taking a deep breath, Soulus stretched his sweaty hand towards the door handle. With a quick and brisk motion he opened the door and stepped in....

[ooc] forgive me if some of the points are a little off, or the grammar is less than stellar, this is my first time doing this

[This message has been edited by Soulus (edited 11-10-1999).]

Nice post soulus.

[rp]Noticing an ISS logo on the uniform of a Commander approaching him, Ben knew this was the newest addition to the fleet. Ben desperately tried to visualise the name at the top of the file he'd received. 'Duva, Delo, Divo Come on brain, help me out on this one. Dilvon Dilvorn!' Ben stopped himself from punching the air and shouting "Yes!" in triumph and contented himself with a subtle clenching of the right fist. Before he could show off his monumental (for him) feat of memorisation, the other commander introduced himself:

"Hi, Cmdr Dilvorn, GCV Conquest. I was beginning to think that I was going to be the only commander from ISS here. Must be something big if they've called us here too."

"Greetings, Commander. I agree- it seems most serious."

"I guess now we just wait for the SC to get here."

As if on cue, fleet commander Blades then ushered us all in to the MISCON briefing room. The suspense would soon be over.[/rp]

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

Following FltCmdr Blades into MISCON, Dilvorn found himself a seat about halfway to front. While he was waiting for the remaining commanders to find their seats, Dilvorn took a moment to glance around the room.

"Please take your seats." said Blades he was up at the podium now so Dilvorn turned his attention that way. "About time the ball got rolling" Dilvorn thought to himself.

------------------

GCV Conquest

Guest Commander Hamblin

I walked slowly into MISCON, along with the crowd of other Commanders. I found a place near the back, and quickly sat down, near the aisle.

I saw the other Commanders filing through and when I saw Commander Dilvorn I suddenly noticed why I had thought there was something familiar about the GCV Conquest. I saw the insignia on his uniform and instantly recognised it as In System Security fleet.

'ISS? Now that's weird. I assumed it was only for Orion fleet members.' I thought, confused.

I noticed Matt Stryker sitting not too far away, so I quickly sat down next to him and said "Matt, did you know there are two Commanders here from the ISS fleet?"

------------------

Commander Hamblin

GCV Galatea

Orion Fleet

"For I dipped into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Hey I may not have a ship right now, but this is too much fun to miss...

[RP]

Sergeant Hans Peterson stood at attention outside the Miscon briefing room. The Calypso was still getting her final checkout at GCHQ, so Hans had applied for a temporary position at Orion HQ, to replace a Marine who had broken her leg in a bar brawl.

"They're all inside, now," Hans thought. "I wonder what this is all about?" Hans began to lean towards the door in an effort to hear what was being said, and then snapped back to attention as a haggard looking Lt Commander jogged towards him.

"How long has it been going on?" asked the officer, passing his ID card to Hans.

"Not long sir, the Fleet Commander has just arrived." Hmmm... Soulus wasn't on the list of officer's cleared for this briefing. Hans was about to say something when the commlink beeped. Hans pressed the Acknowledge button to receive a message informing him of Soulus's promotion and clearance.

"You're kidding," said the newly promoted Commander.

Late for your first briefing, I wouldn't want to be in you're shoes, thought Hans.

"No sir, the Supreme Commander and the Fleet Commander are both in there," is what he said, returning the ID card to the now terrified looking Commander.

Hans smiled as Command Soulus went in, and then resumed trying to hear what was going on inside.

[RP OFF]

------------------

Commander Badgerius, GCV Diligence

On detached duty, GCV Calypso

ICQ 48801556

[This message has been edited by Badgerius (edited 11-10-1999).]

Guest Matt Stryker

Stryker regarded James for a moment, and shook his head, his voice almost a whisper.

"No I didn't James, seems a little odd don't you think?"

Matt's eyes flickered over the two ISS Commanders for a moment and then back to the room.

------------------

Matt Stryker (Commander)

GCV - BlackStar

Orion Fleet