Orion Starstation: The Orion Lounge

Joseph Bosch

Hey, cool, I get to be the 100th reply smile.gif

[rp] Ben was stunned as he heard their orders. 'The 666th? I thought they were a myth, and even in the myths I heard they only had ships. Those guys must have some stories to tell'

Ben shook himself. He and his ship had a job to do.

"Steve, is everyone on board?"

"They are."

"Beam me back to the bridge and prepare to disembark."

"Gotcha."

As the jump anomaly formed in front of him, Ben started to think about how the crew would take being sent back where they had just come from, with only a single night's rest in between. They were a hardy and well-disciplined crew, but they were in need of a morale boost. As he arrived on the bridge and sat in his command chair, the tense and depressed atmosphere was obvious.

"OK, Karl, see you there," said Karen into her comms screen, then looked up and announced,

"We've all got to head back to Galcom HQ for equipment and supplies before we set out."

This was greeted with a positive but somewhat resigned response from the rest of the crew.

Then the two self-appointed morale officers came into their own. No-one's quite sure how they did it, but a typically surreal conversation between Karen and Simon naturally flowed into the bridge crew doing a rousing chorus of 'We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz', which Karen broadcast over the Svoboda's internal communications system, encouraging the entire crew to join in, which most of them did. Feeling suitably lifted, they closed on the jumpgate to Earth and passed through. [/rp]

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[RP ON]

Commander Sev Badgerius stood in the Officer's lounge of GalComHq, looking out at the Earth. He'd been doing that a lot lately, as there really wasn't much work to be done. The Calypso was almost ready, and would begin shakedown trials before the end of the month. The Diligence still didn't hold air, but that was slowly being rectified under the close supervision of Lt Leonev, the Diligence's Chief Engineer.

A hyperspace exit point opened against the blue-white globe of Earth. Then another opened next to it, and then another, and another. Soon there were a dozen exit points in close formation.

And then there were a dozen battlecruisers on approach to GCHQ.

"Would you look at that," Sev said, loud enough to attract the attention of those nearby. "Somebody, somewhere, is going to be very sorry to see that fleet coming at them. I'm just glad I'm not him."

Another Commander walked up to the window. "Wow, kinda makes you wish you weren't in command of a Science Vessel, doesn't it?"

Sev turned to him with a sarcastic smile. "Kinda makes you wish you weren't commanding a desk, I bet, as well."

The commander smiled for a moment, and said, "I don't miss those days. No food, no gravity, no air. Everybody trying to kill you. Insurgents, Raiders, Aliens, Traitors. Nope, I don't miss it at all."

The silence that followed betrayed the fact that both men knew he was lying.

[RP OFF]

------------------

Commander Badgerius, GCV Diligence

On detached duty, GCV Calypso

ICQ 48801556

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

As the Conquest effortlessly slid through the hyperspace exit point Josh Dilvorn returned to the bridge. "Comms, contact any senior fleet vessels in the area and find out who will be in tactical command of ISS for this mission." "Aye, sir, I'll get right on it." he then looked over to Edward Young, "Ensign, continue on course to GALCOM HQ and hold position 70 clicks out." "Affirmative" replied the young flight officer. "DeHaro, I want you to work with Srgnt Murray and Chief Henrick to run a full range of drills with the crew. It is almost a guarantee that we are going to have some intruders on this mission. Not to mention the battering this bitch is gonna take."

Dilvorn then walked over to the commander's chair, coffee in hand, and let himself sink into the seat. He knew they were probably going to be in for a long wait and he could feel the anxiety of his crew building.

------------------

GCV Conquest

ISS Fleet - Tactical Support Arm

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Josh Dilvorn (edited 11-22-1999).]

• 4 weeks later...

Onboard the Obenbone the crew rushs about takeing on crew replacements and cargo from the station as the commander of the ship went over the battle plans in his office.

As i looked over the battle plans for the planet i just knew we were going to lose many souls out there on a planet many of them never sat foot on.

Just then his comlink went off and Sams voice came blaring out.

Comlink: "Commander there's a message from earth for you"

Bosch "Send it to my office"

It took afew sec's but the screen came in clear and there in his bed was The commanders father.

I sat down as i saw him and said "what happen..."

Father "The doctors say i have i'm dieing but they can't fine out what from...hell there just lieing saying they don't know whats killing me but i know...its those damn insurgents poisoning me ..*choking*

Bosch "Father take it easy i'll talk to the doctors and see wha..."

Father "Forget those damn doctors *choking* i want those insurgents who did this to me dead *choking*"

Bosch "Alright father i'll look into it for you now will you please rest..i'll take care of everything"

Just then the link fizzs out and i get called back to work..

Bosch "Those insurgents will pay when i find out who's done this."

------------------

Commander Joseph Bosch

GALCOMID: 76645

Ship:GCV-Obenbone

Quote: "Orion home and Soul i guard you"

Fleet Commander Karl 'Blades' Savage was not a happy man.

Several days ago, he allowed his newly assigned XO to take command of HIS vessel and go galavanting off to Earth to prepare for the mission in Procyon.

Since that time he had heard nothing from his elusive XO, and the obnoxious flight controller back at GHQ was next to useless in providing him with any further information.

Savage accepted that it was likely that there was a comms blackout for the duration of the mission, but he didnt accept the fact that nobody nowhere could give him an update as to the status of his beloved ship.

Thinking back, it had probably been a mistake to send Hamblin off in the TSUNAMI. Sending Hamblin was a good idea, however. The newly promoted Fleet Commander was still a little unprepared for a display of leadership on this scale, but even so, he was begining to feel that it was a pretty poor call on his behalf not to lead the fleet himself.

Besides, he was getting bored. The ORION starstations logistic and administrative systems were now fully functional, and all he was doing these last couple of days was entertaining himself in the GalCom lounge and berating the hookers on the promenade.

Blades logged into the stations communications system and bleeped the spacedock.

"Control, on station." came the voice of the port master.

"Uh, this is the Station Commander."

"Good morning Fleet Commander Logan. How may I be of assistance?"

"Erm .... I was just wondering about the status of Commander Hamblins ship."

A momentary pause. "Just checking that for you, sir."

Another moment of pause. Savage began tapping impatiently on the side of his desk.

"Repairs are almost complete, sir. She should be ready to pass inspection and launch within the enxt 24 hours."

Blades bobbed his head enthusiastically. "Very good." he said.

"Anything else I can do for you, sir?"

Blades thought for a moment. "Yeeeeeeees. Assign an additional repair team to the ship and have my crew recalled from R&R."

"Sir?" came the slightly unsure voice of the port master.

"Uh, I've decided to goto Earth." said the Fleet Commander.

"Do you think thats a good idea, sir?"

"Of course it's a good idea! Besides, I'm the fleet commander and you are a lowly port master. Do as you're told."

"Uh, yes sir!" said the slightly startled sounding man. "I'll recall your crew and have them standby. You intend to take Hamblins ship, sir?"

"Of course." said Savage. "After all, he's got my ship, so I might as well takle his. Besides,"

Savage cleared his throat and stroaked his chin thoughtfully. "I've decided to retake command of the mission and lead the TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP MYSELF."

"Uh, whatever you say sir. Space dock out."

Savage nodded to himself and smiled. It was time to prove to himself that he was more capable than he originally believed.

Well, hopefully ....

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.hastur.freeserve.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

[This message has been edited by Blades (edited 12-20-1999).]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Well, here's my contribution to this additional twist in the story.

[RP]

The GCV Tsunami had effortlessly slid out of hyperspace, and was approaching Galcom HQ. I couldn't remember the last time the Galatea came out of hyperspace in that manner. I had gotten so used to the huge strain it put on the engines, and the way the reactor would, very loudly, start groaning, two decks below us.

"Mr MacGrady, slow to 1/3 thruster power. Mr Dillard, hail the station, and request permission to dock." I ordered. I looked around. The bridge was, right now, under manned. Most of my senior staff were below decks, preparing for the upcoming battle.

"Sir." Said Lt Dillard. "We have been granted clearance to dock, but we will only be allowed to dock once the current batch of ships has finished resupplying. We have been placed on the next batch."

I nodded, slowly, before getting up and saying "Acknowledged. Mr MacGrady, you have the bridge. I'll be in my quarters if you need me."

I turned around and headed towards the turbolift. I waited a few seconds while the 'lift arrived, before stepping in and saying "Deck 2."

The 'lift began it's journey downwards, before turning sideways. When it arrived at my quarters, I got out, walked to my quarters, and when I arrived, I collapsed on my bed.

I closed my eyes, and began thinking. Thinking about everything. Thinking about Cmdr Tiretis. Mostly about Tiretis. I suddenly opened my eyes, and sat up, with alarm. 'Damnit! I cannot allow this to happen!' I thought, angrily. If I allowed myself to become like some...love sick teenager, I could end up not thinking clearly, and objectively, and it could cost us the entire operation. I rubbed my eyes, wearily, trying to think of a way to distract myself from her unnering beauty.

'Hmm...I wonder what Blades' shower is like. I could use a good shower, haven't had one in ages. I'm sure he won't mind.

I quickly got up, and headed towards the shower. I took off my uniform, turned it on, and as soon as I stepped in, the door chime sounded.

"Yes?" I shouted.

"Sir, it's me. I've got a plan here, ready for your approval." Came the voice of Lt Cmdr Tiretis, on the other side of the door.

'DAMNIT' I thought. I had completely forgotten. She was to discuss, with me, the fleet deployment, as well as the strategy and tactics we were to employ in carrying out our orders. But, right now, I was butt naked, and half wet. I quickly turned off the shower, and started drying myself as quickly as I could. "Lieutenant Commander, er...just wait a few moments."

I could hear the faint sound of giggling on the other side of the door, which made me wonder what she could be finding so funny.

I quickly got dressed as fast as I could, before rushing to the door, trying to make sure I looked alright. I pressed the button next to the door, and it slid open effortlessly. Tiretis walked in, and said "Sir, here are the latest plans I've devised."

I took them from her, and looked them over, while I heard the door shut behind me. She had gotten a copy of a map of the region we would be deploying our forces in. It had hand written notes all over it, detailing ship deployments, brief objectives, specific tactics to be employed, anticipated enemy locations, etc.

She also had maps of the area where we were to land troops, and take out the enemy ground installation.

"Hmm...the GCV Blackstar would initiate an oblique arc around the stations relative underside, so as to help avoid it's turret fire. But, if the Blackstar is firing from such an angle, with her turrets all pointing to one side, that would leave her open to attack on the other side, would it not?" I asked her. It was a very good tactic, though. One I probably would use, as well.

Tiretis nodded. "Yes sir. I did take that into account. If you look here..." She pointed at a particular area on the map "We could assign Interceptor squadron Delta (To avoid confusion, each of the four interceptors from each ship was given a squadron name. Delta was from the Obenbone, Alpha was from the Tsunami, and so on) to defend the Blackstar and take out any missiles, as well as the GCV Obenbone. If she took up position here, she would draw away enemy fire, from both the station and enemy fighters."

I nodded, slowly. I thought about my talk with Joseph Bosch, the Obenbone's commander, back at the Orion lounge. Placing her in a position where she would draw enemy fire is to place her at considerable risk of being destroyed. I didn't like the idea of that. He was a good man. Loyal to Galcom, and his crew. But, it was necessary. A lot of good men and women were going to die. I sighed, deeply.

I then turned to the map of the planet's surface. "The ship which I believe should lead the assault on the planet will be the GCV Whumpus1, sir."

I looked up at her, with confusion. "Are you sure? The Whumpus1, last I heard, had severe irregularities in it's anti-grav system."

"I know sir. But Commander Deadboy has more experience in ground assault operations than anyone else taking part in this operation. We should use that experience to good use. The Whumpus1 doesn't have to deploy the troops herself, but her commander can co ordinate the other ships deploying the troops."

I smiled. Tiretis certainly had worked out everything. "Very well, lieutenant commander, you have the go ahead. This is a very sound plan that you have devised."

She smiled back. "Thank you sir." She said. She saluted, stood at attention, and was about to walk out, before turning around, and saying "Sir, permission to speak freely?"

I nodded. "Of course. At ease, Lieutenant Commander."

"James...we've known each other for a while now. I think I've come to know you well enough to tell when something is bothering you, and my gut feeling is it's got something to do with me."

I was surprised at her insight. If she could notice something like that, she could go far in Galcom. And she has guts, confronting me on something like this. She certainly would go far in Galcom. But, right now, I couldn't allow her to find out what it was I was so worried about. I was about to tell her some story that I was going to make up on the spot, when my commlink went off, interrupting me. I activated it, and said "Hamblin here, go ahead."

"Sir, this is MacGrady, on the bridge. We've detected two military ships coming through the Earth-Jupiter jumpgate. They are Galcom Battlecruisers, Galactan class. One of them is the GCV Sark, the other is...sir, it's the Galatea!"

I cursed, under my breath, which I'm sure Tiretis heard. If he was here, then it could mean the end of an assignment I had been partially looking forward to, despite the fact that it could have a high toll on our forces. It was a very high profile mission and could not only help along my career, but the career of my officers as well.

I quickly ran to the bridge, with Tiretis close behind me. When we arrived, the Bridgeviewer was showing two hyperspace clouds. One for the Sark, and the other for the Galatea. I approached the captains chair, sat down and said "Hail the Galatea." After a few seconds, the holographic screen to the left of the Captain's chair flickered on, and the image of Fleet Commander Karl Savage, aka Blades, appeared on the screen. I forced a smile as I said "Ah, sir! What brings you out here?"

Blades smiled back, and said "Well, well, well, look what we've got here. Good to see you commander. Stand by, I'm coming aboard. Savage out."

The image dissapeared off the screen, and I got up. "Ms Tiretis, you have the bridge. I'll be in the transporter room, greeting our 'guest'."

As I arrived, the whine of the transporter had just died down, and off the transporter pad stepped Blades. "Sir!" I stood at attention, and saluted. He said "At ease, commander, there's no time for that now." I followed him out of the transporter room. As we were walking down the corridor, he said "Commander, I have had a change of heart. I will lead the Orion fleet in this engagement. After all, I am the fleet commander of the Orion fleet, and this will be my first assignment in that position. So, you and your crew will transfer over to the Galatea, and me and my crew will transfer back to the Tsunami. Don't worry, the Galatea is fully operational."

As Blades explained everything, I felt worse and worse. He was replacing me for this assignment. I almost couldn't believe it. I would have much prefferred the new Fleet Commander to not have to change his mind every few days, or it would cause chaos. Once he's given an order, it should be carried out. If he want's to countermand that order, it should be for a proper reason, not simply because he's had a change of heart.

"Sir...I don't believe that this would be a good idea, in the eyes of our fellow officers on the other Orion Fleet starships. They have been working with my First Officer to work out a plan of action, which I have just approved. This would turn everything upside down, and we can't afford to have such a drastic change of plans. My Chief Medical Officer is currently preparing triage facilities on all ships in the fleet, so that we will be able to handle the significantly increased number of wounded we will have on this mission! If something like this happens, we would be thrown into dissaray. Sir, I can understand why you would want to be in command of this mission. It is very important to the Orion fleet. But, with all due respect, you should have decided this before we even left for Galcom HQ. You made your decision to place me in command of the fleet while you stayed back at Orion HQ to overlook things there until we got back. If things change now...it could cost us the mission! There are the lives of everyone in this fleet hanging in the balance. If we don't pull off this mission successfully, then even more lives are going to be lost in the continued bloodshed between the Empirians and the Vesperons. Sir...please consider what I am saying. If a sudden change in command takes place at a crucial moment such as this, when we are preparing, it could be disastrous."

By this time, we were in the turbolift, heading to deck 1, which he promptly stopped between decks. My throat had gone a little sore with the long speech. I waited for his response anxiously, trying to anticipate what it was that he could say to this.

He turned to me, sniffed a bit, and said "Have you been using my shower?" He smiled, and chuckled.

I smiled back, and said "Yes, sir. Haven't had one in ages."

The turbolift resumed it's journey.

[RP]

Ok Blades, I'm awaiting your response to this.

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Executive Officer of the Orion Fleet.

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Heh James. You swine. Not only do I feel guilty, but you've gone n pissed on my plan. Never mind, this is salvageable.

The journey on the Galatea was, to be fair, uncomfortable. The ship was old, in dire need of quality refurbishment and needed a damned good fumigation. Blades had checked the service logs of this particular vessel when he first noticed the unusual 'Smell' in the commanders quaters, and discovered that it had been some time since this ship had had any semblance of a refit.

Blades decided that after the mission to Procyon was complete, he would make a point of either having the Galatea mothballed to the reserve fleet or majorly renovated.

Right now, he was thinking mothballed.

The reason why he was now considering this option was because James Hamblin, executive officer of the ORION Fleet was whining at him.

To be fair, the exec had a fair point to make. The operational descisions for the mission had been made, the tactics drawn out and briefed to the respective BattleCruiser C.O's, but the fact still remained that Karl 'Blades' Savage was the Orion Fleet Commander, and he was now extreemly bored.

However, despite being bored and wanting to prove to himself that he was, in fact, capable of leading the fleet into a major engagement, Hamblin did have a very god point.

"I understand you're grieveances, commander." said Blades.

"And, uh ...., well, I only came here on board your ship to, uh ..., test you."

"Test me?" queried Hamblin.

"Yes!" stared Blades. "I wanted to see if you were objectionable enough. Had you not been, I would have taken command of the fleet myself and assigned someone like GMAN to the exec position."

"Uh ... I see." said hamblin.

"Glad you do." said Savage. "You didnt dissapoint me."

Hamblin seemed pleased, if not entirely convinced. "Ah, thank you. Sir."

Blades nodded at him. "Well, now thats sorted, I'll be heading back to headquaters."

"Good idea, sir." said Hamblin.

Again, Blades smiled and nodded at him. "Ah, do continue, commander."

Hamblin saluted, waited while Savage was beamed back to the Galatea and then turned to his transported chief, made a whirling motion next to his temple and headed back to the bridge.

This day was getting stranger by the minute.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

RP

Now that the Sark has enter EarthÔÇÖs space with the Galatea trailing, I ordered my Flight officer to fall in behind the Galatea and the Tsunami.

ÔÇ£Comm, contact Galcom HQ and get us on the docking list, and give me a general ship wide hail.ÔÇØ ÔÇ£Aye Sir! Commlink open sir.ÔÇØ, she replied.

ÔÇ£Miller to all senior staff, please report to the Warroom for mission prep and debriefing.ÔÇØ

I got out of my command chair and headed for the Warroom. ÔÇ£Nav officer you have the bridge.ÔÇØ

This was it my first real test at command. Nothing in the last 3 months has ever been this intense. Not even the time we were rammed by a raider in Taui Ceti and had to retreat due to moderate damage caused by our shield generators failing from the impact.

I entered the Warroom and took my place at the head of the table.

ÔÇ£As you may or may not be aware, of the situation at Procyon has become a powder keg that has exploded. Our role in all of this will be to support the Tsunami Battle GroupÔÇÖs (TBG) deployment and to make sure Orion Fleet succeeds in its mission.

Now, first and foremost we will be docking at Galcom HQ shortly.

Tactical, make sure we have a full stock of weapons, specifically STS, ATA, ATS and APM missiles. Might as well pack some Nukes too incase we need them.

Combat officer, I want all pilots and all marines running training drills until we depart from EarthÔÇÖs space. I can rest assured we will be expecting company, and I want our Marines ready. I want the interceptors space bound and heading to the practice range as soon as this meeting concludes.

Chief Engineer and Chief Medical Officer, once we clear EarthÔÇÖs jump gate, I want ALL engineering and nursing staff on station and ready for damage control and combat medicine ops. As a matter of fact I think it would be a good idea if all nursing/engineering staff and Marines train together.

Now you are all dismissed, if you have any questions, concerns, comments, ideas, please see me on a personal basis and if need be will assemble here again.ÔÇØ

Upon returning to the bridge my Nav officer informs me we are holding position and awaiting docking clearance. Tactical officer, launch all interceptors. ÔÇ£Aye sir! All interceptors launched and are heading to the gunnery practice range.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Tactical Officer you have the bridge, if you need anything I will be in my quarters.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Understood sir.ÔÇØ

RP off

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

RECRUITMENT OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV- SARK

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Guest Commander Hamblin

[RP]

When I arrived back on the Bridge, I saw the GCV Sark on the viewscreen, still in it's original position, while the Galatea was turning around, heading back to the Earth-Jupiter jumpgate.

"Mr Dillard, hail the Sark." I said, suddenly remembering what I had to do, since the Sark was late arriving.

Tiretis looked up from her panel, and said "Sir, the Sark is launching Interceptors and sending them to the training area."

I smiled. 'Good, that means that Commander Miller doesn't need micro managing. He know's what to do, and when to do it.' I thought.

The image of the Sark's Tactical Officer appeared on the screen. "Where is your Captain?" I asked.

"He's currently in his quarters. Should I patch you through?" The Sark's Tactical Officer replied.

"Yes please, Commander." I responded. I needed to bring Miller up to speed on our strategy, and how the Sark is to participate in the attack.

"Stand by..." The image changed to a view of the Captain's quarters. A second later, Commander Miller came onto the screen, wearing standard Galcom uniform.

"Commander Miller, good to see you. I trust you had a pleasent journey from Orion HQ?"

[RP]

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

RP

Using the quietness of my quarters, I began to go over tactics and tactical command in my mind when all of a sudden...

"Commander, you have a priority 1 message from Commander Hamblin."

"Patch it through."

"Commander Hamblin sir!"

"The trip was uneventful thus far, but I am expecting that to change once we leave orbit. All avalible personel are running combat drills and my pilots are honing their skills at the practice range. The Sark is fully functional and combat ready sir."

RP off

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

RECRUITMENT OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV- SARK

[email protected]

Guest Commander Hamblin

[RP]

I listened as Commander Miller gave me a brief status report on his ship.

"Very good, Commander. Now, as you have only just arrived, you will have to begin co-ordinating with my Tactical Officer and Combat Officer. Report to Ops on the Tsunami in ten minutes, where you will recieve a briefing on all relevent info you need." At this point, leaned on my left arm, and rubbed my chin, in what I hoped looked like a thoughtful manner. "My other officers will begin briefing your officers on the relevent info they need. Hop to it, Commander! We're running out of time, here. The SC could give the order to go into the trenches at any time, and we need to be fully prepared. Hamblin out." I didn't even wait for the acknowledgement by him, I simply shut off the commlink, and the screen reverted back to it's original image, that of a 3D Radar map of this region.

I turned in my chair to face Lt Cmdr Tiretis, and said "Lieutenant Commander, I want you to meet Commander Miller in the ops room, with Kil. Give him the relevent info, then report back to the Bridge on the double."

Tiretis nodded, saluted, turned, and headed to the turbolift.

"Bridge to Dr Tamastara." I said, activating my commlink.

"Tamastara here, sir." There was a hint of annoyance in his voice. "Sir, I'm in the middle of a briefing, with the CMO on the Sark." I smiled. That was exactly what I was about to tell him to do.

"Then, never mind, Doctor. Carry on."

"Yes sir." The commlink shut off, from the other end, and I reactivated it again, to call Lieutenant Commander Cogan, my Combat Officer. But, again, he was already briefing the Combat Officer on the Sark. So, I decided to leave it to my other officer's perogative to brief the officers on the Sark. They knew their duties, and they would try to fulfill them as best as they could.

I turned back to face the Bridgeviewer. "Helm...40 degree yaw, starboard, and 10 degree dorsal pitch."

"Aye sir." Replied MacGrady. He was probably a little confused about the order, as that made us face outward, towards deep space, rather than planet Earth, Galcom HQ, and the plethora of ships surrounding it. But, he simply obeyed my order's, and didn't question them.

The reason why I did that was, to help me relax, I usually liked to look out of the stars.

I got out of my chair, headed down to the now empty Tactical station, and deactivated the HUD. When I looked up, a number of crewmen quickly turned their heads around. and went back to their work.

I smiled. "Everyone...the reason why I did that is because, we are about to participate in the biggest engagement in the history of Galcom. Some of us...maybe even all of us...will not make it back alive. So, if we are all going to die, I thought I might as well give you something beautiful to remember."

I saw a number of crewmen chuckle a bit, before returning to their duties. I relaxed back into my chair, and stared out, into the darkness...

[RP]

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

Cmdr Dilvorn was still sitting in his command chair reviewing the status of the battle drills his marines were running. Their proficeincy was almost perfect. Almost. Josh knew that almost wouldn't cut it in a real to life situation. He decided that when the marines from the 666th came aboard he'd see if he could set up some training exercises.

Mid-thought he glanced over at the 3D radar map on his MFD. There were four small friendlies heading for an area of space designated as a training area. It was usually back-logged with rookie pilots wanting to rack up some space combat hours to complete their Academy training. But today it was empty, apart from the coutless drones and beacons used as training aids.

"Ensign Young, rotate us 70 degrees starboard."

"Aye sir," replied the nav officer as he keyed in the command.

As the computer beeped in acknowledgement, one of the port-side fore RCS thruster came online and fired. A full two seconds past before the ship began to turn. After five, the thruster once again returned to it's dormant state and moments later a corresponding thruster on the starboard side came to life, fighting against the inertial momentum and slowing the ships rotation until she came to rest at exactly seventy degrees starboard of her previous position.

As the ship came to rest, Dilvorn magnified an area on the bridge viewer. "Ah, looks like the Sark's IC squadron are going off to play in the park." Dilvorn said to himself. He then opened a commlink to the flight officer, "Lt Hale, scramble all interceptors for a training op."

"{Aye sir, how many target drones should they use?}"

"None Lt, the Sark's already sent out some fresh targets, I'll let them know out boys are coming."

"{As you wish sir!}"

The commlink went dead.

]CONDITION BLUE

]prepare for launch in 2min

]auth: ZL762

]std train op

]240deg mark 20

The message flashed up on the copilot's screen in IC3. "Jester, tally-ho in two minutes, STO."

"Understood, let's see if we can bag Longbow's ass again."

The interceptor bay doors began opening revealing the vacuum of space. Meanwhile, the all the interceptors' engines came online increasing power until the launch control system detected they could launch. They would then be released to hurtle down the railing system and into space. IC2 was first, followed closely by IC1 and IC4. Just over a second later, IC3 was away.

As IC3 cleared the Conquest, Jester initiated a full burn to catch up with the rest of the interceptors. Moments later an encoded message appeared on each of the IC MFDs.

]IC* proceed to

]training area and

]hold. Attack

]formation ZN4.

Back on the bridge of the Conquest, Dilvorn turned to his comms officer, "Lt Peale, open a broacast channel to all GALCOM ships in the area."

"Channel open commander."

"Commander Dilvorn to all GALCOM ships in the area. I've just sent my support craft over to the training zone. If you think that any of your support crews can provide my boys with a challenge then send them out there too. But I doubt they'll last long, my boys are the best in GALCOM."

As the commlink clicked shut, Dilvorn leaned back into his chair, wishing he had someone to bring him a coffee and massage his sore shoulders.

------------------

GCV Conquest - ISS14

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

Guest Commander Hamblin

Dilvorn, challenge accepted!

[RP]

"Commander Dilvorn to all GALCOM ships in the area. I've just sent my support craft over to the training zone. If you think that any of your support crews can provide my boys with a challenge then send them out there too. But I doubt they'll last long, my boys are the best in GALCOM."

The message came in, loud and clear, over the comm speakers on the Bridge. I smiled, and activated the PA system. "All hands, this is the Captain." I said. Phew, my voice came through pretty loud on the Bridge speakers. It was never that loud on the Galatea. Guess they needed new speakers.

"It seems we have just recieved a friendly challenge from the GCV Conquest. She's just sent her Interceptors to the training area, and is challenging any other ships to mock Interceptor combat. She claims to have the best fighters in the fleet. Let's prove her wrong, shall we?

"All pilots, report to your Interceptors for immediate launch. All off duty crew will be able to watch the 'fight of the century' from the main screen in the crew quarters, or troop quarters. Be sure to record it for everyone who has to miss this." I smiled again. Everyone on the Bridge would have a very clear view of it, from the Bridgeviewer. I heard the doors behind me open, and saw Kil Colgan, my Combat Officer, walk in. "To the pilots...good luck out there. The honour of the GCV Galatea is riding with you. Captain out."

I deactivated the PA system, before getting up and heading to the tactical station. Kil came up to me and said "Hey James, just what is this all about?"

I held up my hand, and said "Mr Dillard, send this message to the Conquest, audio only."

Dillard immediately opened a channel to the conquest, and nodded to me. "Commander Dilvorn, this is Commander Hamblin." And, in my best impression that I could muster, I said "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!" I waved my hand through the air, and Dillard cut the link.

I activated the IC bay doors, the fighters dropped out, and headed towards the training area.

I looked up from the console, and said "Everyone...get out the popcorn, this is gonna be one hell of a fight!" I said, happily.

I could see my Helmsman and Nav officer, Lt Paul MacGrady and Ensign Frances Pickup, quickly set their stations on auto, and relaxed back in their chairs, before beginning to chat to each other. They worked together 12 hours a day, every day, so they had become very close friends. Sometimes, because they had to work in unison so much, they even started picking up each other's habits, and copying each other's behaviours. It was a little weird, but understandable. I chuckled, as I saw them talking about whatever, just relaxing.

Lt Dillard, the comms officer, and the other person on the bridge, other than me and Kil, went over and joined them. Since he didn't have a chair, he just stood, and engaged in conversation. I had never seen him either confused, or unsure of himself. Of course, I didn't see any of my officers much, off duty, with one exception. Kil, my good, long time friend from the academy.

I relaxed back in the captain's chair, and turned to Kil. I was about to start explaining why I was doing this, when, over the commlink, Interceptor 1 reported "Sir, approaching target area. We've got a lock on enemy ships!" I turned back to the Bridgeviewer, and watched the unfolding mock battle...

[RP]

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

Dilvorn, make cannon foder outta my pilots will you..

[rp]

After being properly debriefed by Commander Hamblin and his staff, I decided to relocate myself to the Warroom once a again and was going over the process reports from all areas of the ship. When another Commlink message came from the bridge. It was Tactical Officer Lt. Cmdr. Collins, my XO

"Commander, the Conquest has launched its interceptors to make an example out of our interceptors."

""An Example" Commander? Please specify."

"Commander Dilvorn claims he has the best pilots Galcom has to offer, and has made a general ship challenge to that fact, and Commander Hamblin has excepted the challenge, and sending his 4 as well. What are your orders, Sir?"

"Well Commander you are second in command and currently have the bridge. I think this will be an excellent opportunity for you to practice making Combat Command decisions. Handle this situation as you please. But what ever you do, keep it fun, keep it safe, I do not want to explain to Commander Hamblin as to why we have 4 damaged interceptors and 8 injured crew coming back from the pratice range, when we are supposed to be preparing for war."

"Aye sir! Collins out."

Comms officer open me a channel to our interceptors.

Channel open sir.

"This is Lt Cmdr Collins, All inteceptors engage incomming Conquest Interceptors, Simulated Laser Fire Only, I repeat Simulated Laser Fire Only. Attack formation GMSK1."

Now open me a channel to the Conquest.

"Aye Sir, channel opened."

"Commander Dilvorn, this is Lt Cmdr Collins of the GCV Sark. I accept your challenge.

Collins out!"

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

RECRUITMENT OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV- SARK

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 12-29-1999).]

Guest Commander Hamblin

I sat back in the captain's chair on the Bridge of the Tsunami, watching the simulated battle go on.

Two off duty medics had come to the Bridge and were right now watching the simulated battle, along with my Nav, Helm and Comms officers. They were shouting praise at the screen, booing when one of the Tsunami's IC's took a simulated hit, and generally having a good time.

Then, suddenly, the Interceptors from the Sark turned around, and joined in the simulated battle. They fired their simulated lasers at both the Interceptors from the Tsunami and the Conquest. I laughed, and said "Wow! A three way fight, this should be interesting!"

The doors behind me opened, and Lt Cmdr Tiretis came to the Bridge. She walked up beside me, and said "Sir...the crew and troop quarters have become crowded. Even on duty personnel have come to see this event. I don't think that's wise, sir." She reported, seriously concerned. I almost couldn't believe it.

"Oh, don't be such a stick in the mud, Lieutenant Commander. Let them have their fun. This will be a tremendous morale boost for everyone on board. God knows, we need a break, and after it was cut short at Orion HQ, well, this crew deserves something to take their mind off Procyon."

I turned back to the screen, and watched the battle unfold.

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

[rp]

While I looking over my reports, I could no longer concentrate my thoughts. By now I was to curious as to what was taken place at the practice range. I went over and turned on the viewscreen, and watched. With amazement I noticed that my pilots were utilizing the GMSK1 attack formation.

"Well, I see Collins is learning quickly", I thought.

This was due to the fact that we only developed this formation about a month ago and have had barely anytime to practice it, let alone use it in combat. Maybe just maybe it will give us a slight advantage. Looking at the clock I just remembered I need to beam over to the Tsunami and meet with Commander Hamblin. Although I read through my Commlinks that he sent, I still needed to meet with him.

So I will just go to the bridge to get a final status report before leaving.

As I entered the Bridge, I could tell Collins was enjoying himself.

"Commander I am now going over to the Tsunami. But before I do I just would like to know when we will be docking with Head Quarters?"

"Sir, I was just about to update you on that. There are still a few ships undergoing repairs. So when the Dock Master discovered we only need supplies, he suggested we launch our shuttles to pick them up. Which we are now doing."

"Good carry on. Let me know if you need anything."

"Aye Sir!"

I then proceded to the transporter, and then on to the Tsuanmi's bridge. When I arrived, I caught a glimpse of the Sark on the viewscreen, and thought, "Now what is he doing!"

I quickly announced my arrival.

"Commander Greg Miller, GCV Sark, reporting as requested."

"At ease Commander."

"Sir if you don't mind I would like to utilize the Comm's station for just a moment"

"No problem, carry on."

I quickly walked over to the empty station and hailed the Sark.

"Commander Collins this is Commander Miller, why has the Sark broken Orbit?"

"Sir, I thought that we on the bridge could also use some target practice, so we are going to use Commander Dilvorn and the Conquest for a target."

"Alright, but remember what I said. I want no incidents. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Sir!"

I turned of the viewscreen and reported back to Commander Hamblin, but couldn't help wondering what my XO was getting in to.

[RP]

Take that Dilvorn!

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

RECRUITMENT OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV- SARK

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 12-29-1999).]

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

I wasn't sure how to go about the space combat with the interceptors, since this is the first one I've done. So I hope I didn't p**s any one off wink.gif.

[RP on]

As the interceptor squadron from the Conquest closed on the practice range, IC1 sent a text only message back to her mothership.

]ICs in position

]8 targets

Now that interceptors had been launched from the Tsunami there were a total of 8 ships in the fray. The Tsunami's interceptors had closed quicker than expected but still had a fair distance to travel before they would be within range. The Sark's crafts however, were a mere 95 clicks away. "Ok guys, here we go. Check safeties and prepare for simulated attack. Change to attack formation zebra-eleven" ordered Spark, the squadron leader aboard IC1.

The orders were acknowledged as each interceptor pilot manouvered his craft into the diamond formation which was the initial part of the attack formation.

The distance between the two Interceptor squadrons was rapidly closing, when it was only 25clicks Spark issued another order, "Phase two in 3 seconds, 2, 1, BREAK!"

As he finished speaking, the tight diamond formation was split apart as leading interceptor, IC1, pulled up in a tight arc and at the same time IC3 banked left and IC2 banked right each arcing out away from the incoming Sark interceptors. Meanwhile IC4's pilot, Slider, performed a reverse roll and slammed the throttle forward.

The other three interceptors reversed the direction of their turns to begin bringing themselve around behind the Sark's interceptors.

As the distance closed between IC4 and the Sark's ships, Slider began evasive manouvers. It was a dangerous tactic going head to head with four hostiles but it was a necessary distraction. When the distance closed to 10clicks Slider swept the nose of his craft across the formation of Sark interceptors while firing rapidly. This had the effect of sending an arc of simulated laser fire across the path of the incoming interceptors. The pilots from the Sark were fast to react, two broke off and swept down and to the left of Slider getting off lightly with only 12% and 17% damage respectively. One pulled up, exposing the belly of his ship which was raked by simulated laser fire which was reported by Slider's computer as 38% simulated damage. The remaining Sark interceptor had time to get four shots off before performing a 180deg roll, engaging afterburner and diving below Slider. Two of the simulated shots missed, thanks to Slider's evasive manouvers, but the other two hit critical systems, causing 62% simulated damage.

======

Meanwhile, aboard the Conquest the tactical officer, LtCmdr DeHaro turned to the captain. "Sir, GCV Sark has broken orbit and his vectoring in on our position at attack speed."

"It looks like the games are extending beyond the practice zone. Very well, go to blue alert, raise shields to 25%. Lock down all weapons systems and engage saftey controls. Load simulation control DILVORN-9. Intiate simulated IOD and PTA systems. Navigation, set heading 045 mark 10, thrust profile 7, and prepare for evasive manouvers."

"{All hands! Blue Alert. Prepare for battle simultion with GCV Sark.}" The comms officer's voice announced over the Conquest's public address system.

[RP off]

------------------

GCV Conquest - ISS14

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Josh Dilvorn (edited 12-30-1999).]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Uh, Dilvorn? Not to be fussy, and all, but I'm currently aboard the GCV Tsunami. Although my ship IS the Galatea, for this assignment me, and my crew, are aboard Blades' ship, the Tsunami.

[RP]

I stared with amazement as the Interceptors from the Conquest began their brilliant maneuvering. It was amazing, and obviously Commander Dilvorn had his crew trained well.

One of the medics on the Bridge suddenly let out an 'Oh, COOL!' when seeing one of the Interceptors from the Conquest perform it's erratic maneuvers.

The doors behind me opened up, and Commander Miller walked in.

"Commander Miller, GCV Sark. reporting as requested."

Right now, I wasn't really in the mood to interrupt the small bit of fun we were having to think about work, so I simply said "At ease, Commander."

"Sir, if you don't mind, I would like to utilize the comms station for just a moment."

I nodded to him, and said "No problem, carry on."

Miller quickly walked over to the empty station, hailed the Sark, and said "Commander Collins, this is Commander Miller. Why has the Sark broken orbit?"

The reply from Miller's XO came over the bridge speakers. "Sir, I thought that we on the Bridge could also use some target practice, so we are going to use Commander Dilvorn and the Conquest for a target."

Hearing this, I was completely surprised at this change in events. I was half tempted to order the Tsunami to Blue Alert, and prepare for simulated battle, when I realised that most of the crew is right now watching this, with the exception of the pilots, and having a good time. I didn't want to spoil that by ordering them to battle stations, even if it was just simulated.

I caught a glance of Lt Cmdr Tiretis, her eyes wide open. She was obviously as surprised at this turn of events as I, even more so because she didn't really find it fathomable for a crew to act like this without express orders from their Captain. Ahhh, poor Tiretis. Even though she's got tonnes of experience in space, she's still a by the book gal, following Galcom regs to the letter.

"Alright, but remember what I said. I want no incidents. Do I make myself clear?" Said Commander Miller, over the channel.

His XO responded with an abrupt "Yes Sir!", before shutting off the channel.

I got up from my chair, and walked over to Miller. He turned around, and reported back to me. "Commander Miller, I am sure that whatever you want to report, it can wait until after this, unless it is of extreme importance."

[RP]

Miller, I'm not sure what to make of this:

quote:

I turned of the viewscreen and reported back to Commander Hamblin, but couldn't help wondering what my XO was getting in to.

You don't have the authority to turn off the Bridgeviewer on MY ship (well, ok, Blades' ship, but now we're getting into semantics!), so I'll choose to ignore it.

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

[RP]

"No Commander Hamblin, not at all, I was just following orders to report to the Tsunami in ten minutes."

I stood the Tsunami's bridge and watched with anticipation.

==================

Mean while on the Sark...

"Nav Officer, we need to lead the Conquest out into open space away from all of the other orbiting Battlecruisers. Make course 182, mark 12, 1/3rd impulse, but keep current course and speed until instructed. Tac Officer, in order to get the Conquest's undivided attention, load me two simulated vagrant missiles, lock onto the Conquest."

"Course laid in sir."

"On my Mark Luietenant."

"Target Locked, Missiles loaded sir."

"Fire!"

"Missiles off the rails!"

"Tactical, now cloak the ship."

"Ship cloaked sir."

"Nav, Now!"

"Impact! Simulation results show the Conquests shields are down to 10% but building."

All of a Sudden the Sark made a 95 degree turn and headed straight out to open space, with the Conquest right behind.

"Now come to a full stop and wait for them to fly over. Then decloak, activate the simulated PTA and IOD systems and lets make some noise."

=============

By now while I witnessed this this opening engagement between the Conquest and Sark. I felt the need to pull out my info pad and started taking some notes on my XO's performance. I then noticed Commander Hamblin was also watching with considerable interest. We were all having a good time watching this great show.

[rp]

Hamblin: Sorry about that James, I was actually thinking on the lines of a little viewscreen at the comms station.

Dilvorn: I hope you don't mind but I wrote this with the new cloaking operational guidelines for v2.09 that is stated in the Version Control.

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

RECRUITMENT OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV- SARK

[email protected]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Miller: Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that, Greg. smile.gif

[RP]

I walked back up to my chair, and watched as the Sark initiated it's cloaking device.

"WOO HOO! YEAH! GO SARK!" Shouted one of the Medics. He looked very young, obviously on his first deep space assignment. And, he was obviously enjoying himself, regardless of whether it was appropriate for someone to shout out like that on the Bridge.

I faced Kil, and said "So, Kil, what do you think?"

He turned to face me, and said "Man, how come you were never like this back at the academy? We could have had a blast together!"

I smiled, and said "Well, I seem to remember that was all you ever did. When the hell did you have time to graduate?"

Kil chuckled, and said "I copied off you in the final exam. Why do you think I hung around with you so much?"

He slapped me on the back, before saying "Well, at least now you can push ME around for a change, eh?"

I laughed, turned to face Tiretis, who didn't look very interested. She probably wanted to end this frivilry, and get back to work. In fact, before Procyon, I probably would have agreed with her. If you want recreation, take a leave of absensce, and go on holiday, or read a book. Otherwise, you do your job. There's no in between.

But, after having spent five months in a warzone, things are very different. The sad truth is, the galaxy is a hostile place. And life is very fragile. After having lost people under my command, it still hurts me.

I can still remember the sense of loss I could hear in my Chief Engineer's voice when she reported to the Bridge that 3 Systems Engineer's had been killed in our last skirmish. It seemed...needless. They had their whole lives, their whole career's ahead of them.

It was the first time I lost people under my command. Most of my crew managed to survive, but still, some of them didn't make it back to Orion HQ.

I suddenly snapped out of my dark thoughts, and said "Lieutenant Commander, what is your opinion on all of this?"

She looked up, and said "Nothing, sir. If you don't mind, I'm going to the Operations room to carry on working." She walked out of the Bridge.

I sat back down in my chair, and decided to have a talk with her after all of this was done.

[RP]

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

"The Sark is changing course sir, should I pursue?" asked the nav officer. Dilvorn turned to his TacOps display. "Looks like she's heading for that area of open space away from the shipping lanes."

"Good idea, considering the number of ships in the area" answered the tac officer.

"Agreed. Nav, lay in a pursuit course and bring us within IOD range. DeHaro, establish an IOD lock ASAP."

"Aye sir!" replied Ensign Young as he typed the new orders into his console.

"Sir! Missiles inbound. Simulated impact in 6seconds!" called the Tac officer.

"Full power to shields! Do we have IOD lock yet?"

"Negative sir! We're still too far out."

"Nav, can you get us within range before the missiles impact?"

"Not without exceeding operational guidlines sir."

"Damn! Evasive manouvers, alpha-7 pattern."

Dilvorn watched as the distance between the two simulated missiles and his ship rapidly decreased. The conquest was weaving and rolling in a vain attempt to break the missile lock.

"Missile two has broken it's lock sir!" reported DeHaro. "Missile 1 impact in three seconds, two seconds, one second." The simulation control unit showed a 10% shield drain. Which meant that the missile impacted on the shield surface.

"DeHaro, where is the Sark now?"

"Sir, the Sark has cloaked." replied the tac officer.

"That means she could be anywhere. Divert all excess power to the sensor arrays. Scan for any anomolous energy signatures that could indicate a cloacked ship and give me a full spread of questors ready to launch on my command."

"Aye sir, I'm already ahead of you. Sensor scans have so far been unsucessful."

"Very well, nav, reduce speed to thrust profile one, steady as she goes."

"Sir! I am reading an energy fluctuation. It's the Sark, she's decloaking." called Kjari DeHaro.

"Where?" enquired Dilvorn hastily.

"Right under us!"

"Nav, get us out of here. Use everything we've got."

But it was too late, the Sark's simulated PTA system had aquired the Conquest and the computer controled turrets were wearing down her shields quicker than they could recharge. But it wasn't a single sided fight, the Conquest's turrets had also begun firing streams of simulated laser fire on the Sark.

As the distance between the two ships increased, Dilvorn turned to the tactical officer, "Fire those damn questors while her shields are recharging. Target her cloaking system, navigational controls and shield system."

"Aye sir, targets locked, 6 questors away." reported the tac officer.

"Damage assesment, now!"

"Sir! We sustained heavy damage during the ambush. The simulator reports that the shield generator has been damaged, with the recharge rate being reduced to 36%. Aft turret is offline, the reactor cooling system failed briefly causing a few minor radiation problems and the bridgeviewer is running at 47% which would account for the poor image you can see."

"What about the Sark?"

"It appears the Sark got off fairly lightly. However, I have been picking up some strong energy fluctuations that could indicate a reactor problem. But I do know for certain that her shield is recharging faster than ours."

"Ok, well lets hope that these damn missiles do thier job because if they don't we're going to be in a lot of trouble very soon!"

------------------

GCV Conquest - ISS14

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Josh Dilvorn (edited 01-02-2000).]

As the Conquest moved overhead of us I immeadiately order the ship decloaked with PTA turrets blazing. As the Conquest moved off I started damage control assesments.

"Nav, intercept course for the Conquest."

"Tactical, damage report."

"Sir, minimal although the solar reactor and panels took simulated minimal damage. As for the Conquest, she's somewhat beat up. Six simulated Questors inbound! Impact in 12 seconds!"

"Activate the EMD Jammer, target incoming with the PTA!

"Sir, should I start evasive monuvors?"

"Negative, remain on intercept course and come to closing speed. Tactical ready the IOD and lets finish this!"

By now two of the incoming missiles lost their lock, one was shot down, and one exploded from the sockwave of the shot down one. The last one found its mark.

"Damage report!"

"Cloaking system down to 46%. Shields down to 60% recharge time. But still better than Conquest."

"Damage report on the Conquest."

"Shields down to 36%, Rear turret off line, Bridge viewer down to 46%."

Now as the Sark closed on the Conquest, the PTA and IOD cannons were a blaze with simulated opposing fire blasting in the hull of the Conquest. Within a minute, this little training exercise was over.

"Sir we did it, she's been disabled and emiting and SOS."

"Nav take us back to our orbital position at Galcom HQ. Tactical, recall our Interceptors, they could probably use a break. Flight officer, contact our shuttles and have them meet us in orbit. Comm, open a channel to the Conquest."

"Channel open."

"Commander Dilvorn, this is Commander Collins, I and my crew would like to thank you for the valuable training this game has produced. I look forward to having the Coquest at our side in time of war. We salute you and say good luck at Procyon."

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

RECRUITMENT OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV- SARK

[email protected]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Dilvorn...extremely good narrative. In fact, you too, Miller. I'm very intrigued about who is gonna win this battle, hehe.

[RP]

On the Bridge, we watched the intense battle going on between the Conquest and the Sark. It was exciting, and I couldn't keep my eyes off of it.

But, we had forgotten about the fighters. The Bridgeviewer suddenly zoomed in on the fighter battle, and I noticed Paul MacGrady, at the helm station, had changed it. Obviously, he had remembered, and now we were going to see what we had really come to see.

The fighters from the Sark and the Conquest had been fighting for a while now. The Conquest's Interceptors had 1 simulated destroyed ship (When a ship is destroyed in a battle simulation, it then cannot cause simulated damage to any other ship, and is therefore useless), while the Sark had two. But, they were doing well, and concentrating on...suddenly, an Interceptor from the Conquest moved off, and joined the other 'destroyed' fighters, off the simulated battlefield.

That meant it was a two vs two fight. Now, my Interceptors were approaching the battle.

Their voices came over the Bridge speaker. "This is IC-1. Assume bulls eye formation, and go to full thrust."

"Acknowledged Sir."

"Aye Sir."

"Aye Aye, Sir."

"The enemy has picked us up!"

"They're heading right for us!"

As we all saw on the Bridge, they seemed to have forgotten about each other, and turned to engage this new enemy. They probably figured that since we outnumbered them already, they would try to take us out, before fighting each other again. I smiled. A very wise option.

"Laser range in three minutes, twenty seconds."

We waited.

"Two minutes."

Still, we waited, as the fighters approached each other, like in an old holo vid I had once seen, called a western. It was called 'A Fistful of Dollars.' I had enjoyed it immensly, when I saw it, but hadn't had a chance to see it again, well, not in recent years. I had been to busy. I made a mental note to try to see that film again.

"Targeting."

"One minute."

"Maintain formation."

"Forty five seconds. We're with you."

"All systems operating at maximum effeciency, sir."

There was still no break in the enemy's formation. Obviously, they didn't believe the fighters would barrel right through them. They were taking an awful risk, as if none of the ships broke off, betting the other would break off first, then we could have a major incident on our hands.

I almost failed to notice I was on the edge of my seat. I looked around at the rest of the bridge, and saw them all captured by what they saw on the screen, barely even blinking.

"Thirty seconds."

"Fire on my mark."

"Aye Sir. Twenty seconds."

"Fifteen...ten...five..."

"...FIRE!"

Simulated laser fire came shooting out of the guns on all of the Interceptors (In reality, there wasn't anything firing there, but a Bridgeviewer can be adjusted to show simulated laser fire, as it was showing right now.)

They flew at each other, all firing maniacally at each other. But, they all stayed in formation. By now, they had been travelling so fast, they were almost on top of each other.

Still, they were firing simulated lasers and missiles at each other, each taking a pounding, and still staying in formation. They each knew that the first ones to break formation would be the most vunerable, as then the others could just turn and chase after them. So, it was a matter of who had the most nerve to go through with it.

They continued to fire, pounding into each other. IC 4 from the Tsunami seemed to take the brunt of the attack. But, two enemy ships had already been disabled, simulated of course (When a ship sustains simulated damage, it will begin to react as though it at taken simulated damage, ie, decreased speed, maneuverability etc, until it is 'destroyed' in which case full control is restored).

"We're losing systems!"

"All ships, stay in formation!"

"We've almost lost control, the ship can't take this pounding...sir, we're 'dead'. We're heading to the waiting area."

"Damn...all remaining ships, target IC 2 from the Conquest, she appears to be the most damaged out of them. Let's see if we can take her out, shall we..."

But, before he even finished his sentence, the fighters all flew by one another, having refused to break formation, so they passed by one another, barely avoiding a collision.

"All fighters, come about, target at your discresion. We still outnumber them...let's use that to our advantage, eh boys?"

The Tsunami fighters immediately came about, as did the two remaining fighters. They immediately began firing at each other, simulated laser shots flying through space, between the fighters, some missing, some hitting. The fighters all broke apart at the same time, and began flying about, very quickly. Thanks to the ship's targeting systems, we could easily distinguish between enemy ships and friendly ships.

Then, suddenly, one of the disabled fighters came back online, and began flying towards the fight. It was moving slowly, but it was slowly regaining power, hull strength and speed.

One of the Tsunami fighters broke off, and engaged the formerly disabled ship. It put up a good fight, but was quickly 'destroyed' by the Tsunami fighter.

The other fighters carried on dogfighting, but within minutes, it was over. The Sark had just defeated the Conquest, and she was adrift, having been 'disabled'.

The fighters from the Sark were recalled. The end result was the Tsunami fighters had won the fighter battle, and the Sark had won the starship battle. But, the Sark did catch the Conquest by surprise, and the fighters from the Tsunami came late, meaning that they had an unfair advantage in not having taken any damage, or losses.

All in all, it could have been more equal if the fighters all started fighting at the same time, but it was over now. I could imagine the cheering going on in the troop and crew quarters, as the fighters from the Tsunami finished off the opposition.

I activated the PA system, and said "Alright then. All crew, return to your normal duties. Show's over boys. But, it was one hell of a show, eh?" I deactivated the PA system.

The medics quickly headed for the turbolift, and the officers went back to their normal duties. I was going to turn and have a little talk with Kil, but he had already returned to the lower decks.

I turned to Commander Miller, and said "Congratulations, Commander Miller. Oh, and be sure to pass along my gratitude to Commander Dilvorn. Him and his crew put up a brilliant fight, and I would be glad to serve along side them, as well as you and your crew."

I smiled, briefly, before saying "Now, where were we? Ah yes, I had ordered you to report to the Tsunami. Well, you were already briefed by my officers, and I am sure you already know the situation in Procyon. Follow me, please."

I got up, and headed towards the turbolift, with Commander Miller. When we arrived, I said "Operations."

The lift started it's journey through the ship, stopping once to pick up a passenger on the way.

When we arrived at ops, we stepped out, and walked down the corridor. "Commander Miller, as you are late, let me fill in a few details about this operation. But, first, are there any questions?"

[RP]

Well, hehe, Dilvorn, if you feel treated unfairly in this story (Having lost both the starship and fighter battle), how about when BCM comes out we have a 'rematch', this time a proper one, eh?

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Tsunami battle group.

GCV Galatea

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

[RP on]

"Sir, we have been disabled." reported the tac officer.

Dilvorn couldn't believe that only two of the six questors had hit their mark. He decided that he would talk to the Chief Engineer, Neils Henrick, about implementing a more reliable, shielded targeting system for not only the questors but the other missiles aswell.

"Very well people. Cancel blue alert and restore all systems to live control. What is the status of the interceptor battle?"

It was the comms officer that answered Dilvorn, "Not much luck there sir! The Tsunami's interceptors arrived late and wiped the floor clean with both the Sark's and our interceptors."

"Understood. DeHaro, I want a report on the simulation filed before we leave GALCOM HQ."

"Aye cmdr" replied the tac officer.

"Nav, return to formation with the fleet. I'll be in my ready room if anything comes up."

As Dilvorn sat down at his desk a commlink message came through. "Commander Dilvorn, this is Commander Collins, I and my crew would like to thank you for the valuable training this game has produced. I look forward to having the Coquest at our side in time of war. We salute you and say good luck at Procyon." He read over the message quickly and then typed in a reply. "Cmdr Collins. Congradulations on your victory. Your ship and her crew performed with excellence and had luck on their side. I look forward to serving with you in the upcoming mission. Dilvorn out."

After sending the message Dilvorn switched off his terminal and sat back into his soft leather office chair, taking a moment to relax. Outside four smaller sleek crafts glided into the belly of the Conquest just as her main engines flared, propelling the mammoth ship back toward the awaiting starstation.

[RP off]

Nah, I don't think it was unfair. After all this was, in fact my first rp battle, so I see it as a good learning guide. Just wait till next time wink.gif

------------------

GCV Conquest - ISS14