Orion Starstation: The Orion Lounge

Joseph Bosch

[rp]Personal Log

Interceptor Pilot

Francis Morgan callsign 'Livewire'

Well, this is the start of my third week aboard my new ship- 'The Svoboda'. It's very different from my last one. It's a Galactan, the finest class of ship Galcom has to offer, part of the infamous In System Support fleet, which apparently played a major part in scuppering the Vesperon invasion of Galcom not so long ago, although I can't remember any of that. Strange. Anyway, that's not the main thing that makes this ship different. It's the way I get treated here.

There's a great spirit amongst the crew and they push you really hard in training and make a real effort to make you feel part of the team, but there's something else. Something I can't quite put my finger on. It seems like I get treated a bit differently from the other new crewmembers- it's almost as if lots of the crew know me already, but I've never met any of them before. Maybe its because I'm the only new pilot, but I don't know Ah, that's probably it. Stop worrying yourself, Frank.You've got more important things to think about, like this impending war, and that very cute flight engineer who keeps smiling at you. Jana Kubikova or something. Surprising, that. Girls like that don't normally give me a second glance, especially if I haven't made an enormous effort to get to know them, and then I normally do something really stupid and they don't want to know anymore.

Take care with this one, Frank, you may not get another chance like this again. I wonder if anyone round here can teach me some czech? I'm pretty sure that's where she was from. Doesn't seem fair her knowing my language and me not knowing hers. Not that that really matters with translator technology as it stands, but it could get a good reaction, I suppose.

Anyway, got to go now, time for another training mission.

End Log

Simon Richardson, the Svoboda's Flight Officer was sitting at his post, staring at the bridge viewer, which displayed the beautiful globe of earth set in front of a black silken backdrop sprinkled with diamonds and faint multicoloured clouds. However, this was not what his mind saw. His mind saw the beautiful face of Ruth McIntyre, chief medical assistant on the GCV Nightingale, a paramedic vessel. He thought of her beautiful eyes and nose, her wonderful smile and laugh, and her lovely voice telling him how much she missed him.

"Simon! Watch out!" came the voice of Ben Zwycky, rudely interrupting his peaceful thoughts.

"Huh?"

He had been so captivated by his mind's eye that he had failed to notice he had started to gently drift the Svoboda forward, and it was coming dangerously close to the GCV Conquest.

"Whoa! Sorry."

He took the helm and turned the Svoboda sharply away from the Conquest and back to where he had initially been told to halt the ship.

"Seems to me you need something to do, Simon. Head for the training area."[/rp]

I haven't posted to this thread for a while. Not much time (projects and exams).

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

In System Support (ISS) Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 01-05-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! My exams are all finished for ever! Boo! Still got lots of coursework to do. Anyway,

[/rp]

It was to be another standard Svoboda training exercise, if done with a little more urgency than normal. Four backup pilots/copilots versus four regular pilots/copilots, the two backup-piloted interceptors in lead and wingman formation, the two regular interceptors instructed to fight on their own. It had been done many times before, most of them had lost count how many. Certainly into double figures. To start with, the regular pilots won hands down. It wasn't even a contest. Slowly, the backup pilots started to see the benefits of formation flying. The concentrated firepower, the relative security of leading which enabled more concentration on obtaining a missile lock, and the defined roles to focus on. They began to win every so often, then more often than not.

At this point, the regular pilots were released from being restricted to standard manoeuvres and tactics, and were allowed to throw in some of their more advanced moves every so often, and they gained the upper hand again. The backups learned and adapted and became more flexible in their formations, then the regulars threw in more moves to demonstrate, teach and occasionally humiliate a backup pilot should he start thinking too highly of himself. Right now, when they threw every move they could, the regulars would still win 80% of the time, but they had grown to respect their backups and knew they were competent enough to be relied on when it counted.

After the initial training session (slightly shortened this time) there came a lesson in taking on capital ships. (The regular pilots changed with the regulars for this one.) First of all a few strafing runs on the practice targets, set up to respond like sentry class cruisers, teaching them about finding weak spots in PTA coverage, avoiding the ships main guns and avoiding missile locks where possible. They also learned how to avoiding a simulated incoming missile when they failed to avoid the lock, but they still had to look out for PTA, IOD and enemy ship's fire at the same time. (the two IC's not doing the drill were instructed to act as the target's support ships.) After this, they all took on the Svoboda in a simulated duel, with Simon at the helm and Steve at tactical making their life a misery, 'destroying' three of them and 'disabling' the other. The drill was run again. And Again. They did slightly better each time, and on the fourth attempt actually 'disabled' the Svoboda when one of the new flight engineers decided to try and suck up to the bridge crew by bringing up drinks for them all, but tripped over himself and spilled hot coffee in Steve's lap.

This understandably distracted Steve, and since the other bridge crew weren't ready at their posts as would be the case in a combat situation, this gave the backups a bit of time to do some damage. When he had stopped laughing, Ben ruled it 'an unrealistic simulation' and it was run again, with Christine Samson taking over at tactical while Steve got himself cleaned up. They did reasonably well, indignant at the cancellation of their 'great victory', and caused significant simulated damage to the Svoboda's shields, cargo bays, engines and flight deck, and escaped when their own simulated damage was getting too high. Then the other regulars took over from the first backups and the first session was done again.

As Francis Morgan docked his interceptor and started to shut down its systems, he saw the lovely sight of Jana Kubíková crouching down by his craft's nose, attaching the power cable to recharge its reactor. His mind switched from dogfighting mode to trying-to-remember-what-Mirek-taught-me mode. He opened the canopy and climbed out of the cockpit, his feet landing together on the floor just after she got up from attaching the cable.

He then said with as much confidence as he could muster

"Ahoj Jano! Jmenuji se Frank." (Hi, Jana! My name is Frank.)

She unleashed a heart-warming smile as she replied,

"dobre! Ahoj Franke!" (Good! Hi, Frank.)

"I'm afraid that's about my limit," replied Frank with a slight welsh lilt.

"That's OK. You're accent's not bad, but it could do with a little work."

"Oh, it'll get it," he grinned.

She grinned back, "I should hope so. How was it out there, Deadboy?" Her smile dropped as she instantly realised her mistake, "I mean, Livewire? Sorry."

"That's OK. Not too bad, really. I feel ready to get out there and do some good. Hey, you know, some guys back at the Academy used to call me Deadboy. I never liked that name, but it did seem to somehow fit. I could change it if you want."

"No, Livewire's nicer, but I think I'll just stick to Frank." Her smile had fully returned. "You hungry?"

"Starving."

Then they had a really nice meal together in the canteen. The food was the same as always, not the best they'd ever had, but the company and conversation made it special. They talked for hours about their backgrounds, likes and dislikes, what they hoped for in the future and what they feared might happen in the next few days.

She held his hand all the way back to his quarters and even kissed him goodnight! While his head was still spinning, she squeezed his hand and said a quick "Good night, Frank" before skipping off down the corridor like an excited schoolgirl.

Frank stumbled back to his bed in a daze and collapsed into the most contented night's sleep of his life. [/rp]

I'll do some more soon.

TTFN,

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[rp]As he left his quarters the next morning, his mind aglow with thoughts of his new love, Frank again noticed the plaque above the Interceptor Pilot's quarters. He asked Firehail, "Who was that guy?"

"Cavalry? He was a flight engineer- a backup pilot. A real hero."

"What did he do?"

"He only flew one mission, and got killed, but on the way he took out 9 enemy ships two sentries and saved a constellation class BC."

"Wow." Frank exhaled, taking in the enormity of that achievement. He then looked puzzled, "what about the other guy in the IC? Why isn't he mentioned?"

"You don't want to find out about all our old warstories:- We'd like to find out about yours! How'd it go with Jana last night?"

"Oh, wow, it was amazing! I've never- I mean it was like- it was just amazing, we got on so well, she's so lovely, I just can't believe she wants to be with me."

"You'd better believe it, boy! You are one lucky man! You just make sure you treat her properly- She means a lot to a lot of us, and we don't want to see her get hurt."

"Believe me, that's the last thing I want to do! I'm going to be as careful as I can."

"You do that, but remember you've got a job to do as well."

"I will."

Frank carried on with his training assignments, occasionally shaking himself out of daydreams about the lovely Jana. In the back of his mind, though, he was still curious about the identity of the guy who flew with Cavalry. During his next break, he went down to the ship's library and looked up the mission reports.

"Initiate search for Gregory Robinson and/or Cavalry. Indicate where mentioned in tactical reports.

"Gregory Robinson replaced Robert Grayson during the battle of Mercury in the Vesperon Conflict."

'Robert Grayson? That's Firehail!'

"Who was copilot to Gregory Robinson in the battle of Mercury?"

"I'm sorry, that file has been corrupted. Please ask system support for assistance."

"Never Mind. Display Interceptor Pairings for GCV Svoboda during Vesperon Conflict."

------------------------------------------------------

TACTICAL PAIRINGS FOR THE VESPERON CONFLICT

IC-1 STEELFINGERS/CUTTHROAT

IC-2 POLTERGEIST/SMILER

IC-3 FIREHAIL/DEADBOY

IC-4 CARRION/SHOWCASE

'Whoa, that's too weird, though maybe that's why Jana made that mistake. I suppose callsigns aren't unique, but what are the chances... I've got to find out what this guy was like.'

He logged off the ship's Library and went to see Firehail again.

"Deadboy. You flew with him. What was he like?"

"Where'd you get that from?"

"From the ship's Library."

"Oh. You really want to know what he was like?"

"Yeah."

"OK, here's what he was like." Firehail looked Frank straight in the eyes. "He was a great pilot, and a great friend to all of us. He was a decent, honourable and dedicated man, and he gave his life saving others, because that's exactly the type of guy he was." Firehail's eyes started to mist up as he continued, "if we could talk to him today, there's not one of us who wouldn't want to say how much we all loved him."

"Whoa," responded Frank, taken aback by this show of real emotion. "So why isn't he on a plaque up there?"

"That wasn't my decision. Just drop it." Firehail replied, on the verge of tears.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know."

About half an hour later,

"Ben, one of the interceptor pilots wants to talk to you. He says it's important."

"Thanks Karen. I've got a bit of time now, tell him to be in my ready room in 5 minutes."

The doors from the bridge opened and Frank hurriedly walked in.

"Ah, Livewire! How are things? Are you settling in well?"

"Very well, sir!"

"Relax, Lieutenant. How's Jana?"

"How did you know about that?"

"Word gets around, particularly among the czech contingent here. You're a lucky man."

"I know, she's lovely- Uhm, Oh. That's not what I'm here to talk about, sir."

"Right, what is it then?"

"It's about Deadboy, sir. The pilot who flew with cavalry. I was wondering why there is no memorial to him above the pilots quarters."

"Cavalry was a special case. No other pilot has been given that honour. Was there anything else?"

"But why not, sir? Deadboy seems to have been just as heroic as this cavalry guy, and he meant an awful lot to the people I've talked to about him. Why not honour his memory?"

"Don't worry about it, Lieutenant. It's not your concern."

"Begging your pardon, sir, but I think it is my concern. I'm here as this guy's replacement, an I'd like to know what on earth he could have done to prevent his death being honoured?"

"Lieutenant! This is a military ship, and there are some things that you don't need to know."

"Excuse me if this is out of line, sir, but this seems totally unlike you."

"What?!"

"I mean, with every other matter you've been totally open and helpful, but you don't seem to be able to trust me here. The truth is important, good or bad. I need to know."

Ben sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"You're really not going to let this go, are you? That's a good attitude to have in this galaxy we live in. Well, sit down, Lieutenant. You're not going to like this."[/rp]

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[rp] ÔÇ£ThatÔÇÖs ridiculous!ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£I canÔÇÖt imagine how hard this must be to take, but itÔÇÖs the truth. I could get Linda to come in here and confirm it, if you want.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£I canÔÇÖt be. No, no way.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Think about it. DoesnÔÇÖt it explain a lot of things, like why you canÔÇÖt remember any of the major events from the four months before you arrived here? ThatÔÇÖs how long he was here.ÔÇØ

Frank grew more and more distressed as more and more little things seemed to make sense in terms of this revelation, but his mind wasnÔÇÖt ready to give in just yet.

ÔÇ£No, no, no! I would have known! Someone would have told me!ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£We wanted to give you enough time to firmly establish your own identity. I stand by that decision. Would you have preferred to have been told right at the start?ÔÇØ

There was a long silence as Frank finally accepted the truth. He was a clone. His next question was barely audible, ÔÇ£so everybody knew?ÔÇØ

Ben didnÔÇÖt know how else to answer, so he just quietly said, ÔÇ£yes.ÔÇØ

More silence.

Ben broke it. ÔÇ£Look- you are not him. YouÔÇÖre an individual and you make your own choices. He did things you will probably never do, and you will do things he never did. You will make different decisions. You already have.ÔÇØ

Frank heard the words, but they didnÔÇÖt register in his mind, which was full of swirling and conflicting thoughts. Then a terrifying possibility flashed before him.

ÔÇ£Jana. She loved him, didnÔÇÖt she?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£They went out for a little while, but it didnÔÇÖt last. You have a chance to succeed where he failed there.ÔÇØ

Frank's head dropped into his hands and he sighed painfully.

ÔÇ£ThereÔÇÖs not really any reason to not put Deadboy on that plaque now, unless it makes things worse for you, but you donÔÇÖt have to decide that now. ThereÔÇÖs no rush.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£I canÔÇÖt do that now. I need some time alone.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Of course. Take all you need.ÔÇØ

Without another word, Frank headed back to his quarters in a daze, not acknowledging anything or anyone. As he arrived at his quarters, he met Jana waiting outside for him. She skipped over with a joyful ÔÇ£Hi!ÔÇØ then saw the expression on his face and became extremely concerned.

ÔÇ£WhatÔÇÖs wrong?ÔÇØ

Frank just looked down at the floor and made as if to carry on. She took his hand and crouched slightly to get into his field of view.

ÔÇ£Come on, you can tell me.ÔÇØ

Frank straightened up and looked at her, his eyes full of anguish, then half-whispered, ÔÇ£you donÔÇÖt love me. You love him.ÔÇØ

Jana was totally bewildered. She let go of his hand and drew her head back, as if avoiding a blow.

ÔÇ£What? Who?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Deadboy.ÔÇØ

She was stunned. ÔÇÿHow did he know? How could he know?ÔÇÖ

Frank took her silence as an admission of guilt, turned away and headed off down the corridor. When she regained her senses a couple of seconds later, she ran after him, saying,

ÔÇ£No, wait-ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Get away from me!ÔÇØ screamed Frank as her turned and shoved her away as hard as he could. She slammed into the nearby bulkhead, cracking the back of her head painfully against the unforgiving surface. She cried out in pain then sank to the floor,sobbing heavily. Frank stormed off somewhere he could be more sure of some privacy.

He reached the small toilet block, locked himself in one of the cubicles and sat down. Then he gave his mind full reign to wallow in his new pain. His whole life was a lie. He was only three weeks old. Most of his memories werenÔÇÖt even his. The woman he thought had fallen for him was just using him to replace the man she really loved, and he had lashed out and hurt the woman he loved.

Ben's personal communicator beeped.

"Yes, what is it?"

A distressed voice answered.

"It's Jana here. Are you alone?"

"Hang on."

Ben went back into his ready room and switched on the communication panel. Jana's face formed in front of him, looking very upset. It was obvious she had been crying.

"OK, I am now. What's wrong?"

"It's Frank. We just had a fight. He's very upset. He knows about Deadboy."

"Yes, I know."

"I'm scared he's going to do something stupid. Can you send someone to see if he's alright?"

"OK, Jana. I'll do that."

"Thanks."

"Steve- check perscan. Where's Livewire?"

"Uhm. He's on deck two, in the toilet block next to the officers' quarters."

"OK, thanks, Steve. Firehail?"

"Yes, sir?"

"I want you to go check on Livewire. He's in the toilet block next to the officers' quarters. He's found out he's a clone."

"Oh, man! I'm on it."

As reality around him faded into insignificance, Frank brought out his sidearm and turned it over and over, transfixed. If there had been anyone else around, he wouldnt have heard them. He watched the light glinting off the sidearms metal surfaces- so smooth, so beautiful, so captivating. He placed the butt in his right hand and firmly closed his fingers round it. It fitted snugly. He gently placed his finger over the trigger. It was so comfortable, so natural. One squeeze, and this nightmare will all be over. No more pain. No more worries. No more lies. One little squeeze[/rp]

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 02-22-2000).]

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

Enough with the suspense already... smile.gif

------------------

GCV Conquest - ISS-08

ISS Fleet

Escort Wing Leader

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

[rp] The sound of the plasma blast reverberated around the toilet block, echoing off all the hard surfaces. Frank gazed in shock at the hole it had made.

'So loud!'

"We've got a weapon discharge on board! Deck two."

"No!" Cried Ben. 'what have I done?' The rest of the bridgecrew looked at him slightly confusedly. "Livewire, are you alright? Livewire! Frank! Talk to me!"

Frank looked down at his hands, then his gaze switched back to the hole in the floor next to where his sidearm had landed. He then began to register a disembodied voice calling his name. It was a worried voice. He began to listen. As he focussed on it, he thought he could recognise it and then he was suddenly aware of his surroundings.

"Talk to me! Frank! Frank!"

Still somewhat disorientated, he activated his communicator.

"Uhh- Frank here."

"Thank God! Are you alright?"

"Umm, I think so," Frank replied puzzledly.

"What happened?"

"Uhhmm," then looking down again, "oh. I dropped my sidearm and it went off. Sorry, I'm a bit shook up."

"Ah. Well, that's understandable. Firehail's on his way to see if you're OK. You had us worried for a while there."

"I had myself worried."

Frank stood up and opened the cubicle door. Just then the door from the corridor opened and Firehail rushed in.

"Frank!" he called out in surprise and relief, "I heard a shot! You OK, buddy?"

"I dropped my gun and it went off. I'm OK."

"Phew, you had me worried for a sec there!"

"I didn't enjoy it much either."

"Man, you look terrible! Come on, let's go have a drink."

"Not just yet," replied Frank with newfound determination, "there's something I've got to do first."

Five minutes later he knocked gently on Jana's door.[/rp]

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[rp]After a few seconds, the doors slid open. There she stood, as lovely a sight as ever, unsure of what to do or say, with her long and curly blond hair slightly wet at the front, as if she had just hurriedly washed her face.

"Hi," said Frank quietly.

"Hi," came the soft reply.

There was an awkward pause.

"I'm really sorry."

"I know."

Another pause.

"You want to come in?"

"Can I?"

"Yeah."

Frank cautiously entered the room, and looked around. It was well ordered, but with a number of homely touches scattered about, including a badly concealed picture of him, he noted.

He sat in the swivel chair by her comms terminal, and she sat on her bunk facing him. She cocked her head slightly over to one side and gave a little sigh. Her expression changed to one of expectation and Frank took his cue.

"There's no excuse for what I did. I don't know what I thought I was doing."

"You were upset. You had a right to be. Your whole world was turned upside down."

"But I never should have taken it out on you," Frank moaned

"Maybe you were right."

"What?"

"I did think of deadboy when I saw you, especially to start with, but I came to see that you are very different to him. I like lots of those differences. I like you. He never would have done what you just did."

"What, hit you?"

"No, face up to a big problem and come and talk to me about it. That's why our relationship ended."

"How's that?"

"One of the people I grew up with was pilot of a sentry that turned raider, the Ridgley. Deadboy knew about that, but he was forced to destroy it to protect a convoy it was attacking on the way to Pluto. He couldn't face me after that and just avoided me as much as he could from then on. It went on for days, until I just told him that it wasn't working and we should stop seeing each other. We still weren't on very good terms when the Vesperon conflict started, and I hardly saw him at all during that."

"So you chose to be with me because you felt guilty about dumping him just before he died?"

"I have to admit that I did, to start with. I'm really sorry about that. It was really stupid. You mean a lot more to me than that now."

"Why? I'm nothing- just a bunch of molecules grown in a tank and given some of your old boyfriend's memories."

"Not to me, and not to a whole lot of other people on board. You are Frank, a very kind, honourable, sweet and gentle man who cares about me a lot, and who I care about a lot."

"No, this is all just too weird for me. I can't go back to how we were as if nothing's happened."

"I don't want you to. I want you to be yourself, the real you, and take your time to make your own decisions. Until then, we're just friends, but I want you to know that I'm here for you. If you ever want to talk, or cry, or scream, or relax and enjoy yourself or anything- anything at all, you just knock on my door."

"I don't know- I need to think about this, it just doesn't seem right." Frank got up from the chair and started towards the door.

"Hey." He stopped. She got up and continued, "I'll go with whatever you decide. It's going to be OK, OK?"

"Yeah." Frank mumbled unconvincingly.

"OK?" She repeated insistently. He turned his head round and replied, "OK," still not sounding very assured.

Jana reached out to take his hand, but he had already turned and opened the door and was on his way to his quarters with a lot on his mind.[/rp]

Sorry about the delay. Same excuse (projects).

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[rp]Before he could reach his quarters, he was met by Firehail.

"You done now? You still look like you need a drink. Come on."

Frank went along with him, because he didn't have the energy to make his own decision. After a couple of drinks, he became more talkative.

"That was quite a eulogy you gave me, in the corridor."

"I meant every word but I was talking about him, not you. You're not him. Stop trying to change the subject! So what did you say?"

"I said I needed to think about it, it didn't feel right."

"You did what?! Why?"

"She loved that guy, he did all the work. I feel like I'm just stealing his life."

"Uhh- Newsflash! The guy is dead. He's gone. You're not him, and it's your life. Anyway, they broke up. You're not stealing her."

"I just feel like I didn't earn any of this."

"What are you talking about? You don't earn love, someone either loves you or they don't and believe me, she does! It's like a gift- you accept it, you appreciate it, you enjoy the fact that a girl as fantastic as that thinks you are the best thing that ever happened to her."

"I suppose it took a lot of guts to say what she said."

"You bet it did. There's an awful lot of guys on board who wish they had the chance you've got. Don't throw it away."

Frank sat and thought for a while, his brain slightly slowed by the 'necessary fluids' he had taken on board.

"I suppose I'd better go and see her, then," and stood up, finding the exercise a little trickier than normal.

Firehail stood and put his hand on Frank's shoulder to steady him. "Whoa, there. I think you'd better leave it 'til the morning. I don't think she'd appreciate your breath right now."

"What're you talking about?" Frank puzzled, then cupped both hands over his nose and mouth and exhaled heavily. He seemed to consider the scent as if tasting a fine wine, then replied "Hmmm Maybe you're right," with a slow grin.

He was helped back to his quarters in a very good mood. He stumbled into his bunk and fell asleep where he lay to dream about the wonderful things that would happen tomorrow.[/rp]

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[rp]Frank awoke sluggishly. The bright light burned his eyes and he shut them again tightly. He shielded his eyes with one hand before tentatively opening them again. He slowly opened his hands slightly to allow him to assess his surroundings. As far as he could tell he was in his bunk, and he was hung over. Not the worst hangover he'd ever had by a long way, but enough to make getting out of bed noticeably more difficult than normal.

'What was I doing last night?'

Various fragmented images flashed through his mind as his brain attempted to collate them into a history of the evening. One particularly strong image was of his sidearm turning over and over, and he suddenly remembered what he was thinking at that point. 'Whoa. I nearly did it, didn't I?' Then came the image of Jana standing at her door, then sitting on her bunk, talking to him. The soundtrack was switched off, but he remembered feeling both comforted and confused at the same time. Then came the image of talking with Firehail in the Svoboda's bar. The conversation itself was vague, but he remembered it had to do with Jana. Hopefully he hadn't been as drunk and he could ask him about what happened.

'Next priority: try to remember what the best thing for a hangover is. When you're hung over you are come on, you know this dehydrated! That's it! You also havelow somethinglow blood? Uhmmlow blood sugar! Yes! 2-0 to brain! We're on a roll! Right, so we need something watery but sweet.'

Frank put on some dark glasses and dragged himself down to the bar. He sat down on a stool and ordered:

"Two pints of orange juice- very dilute."

Since Commander Zwycky was so fond of the stuff, there was always a plentiful supply of orange juice on board the Svoboda. After downing the contents of the two glasses and ordering the same again, Frank's head started to clear a bit and the pounding headache died away. The lights didn't seem quite so bright now, and Frank looked around slowly. While he was facing the other way, he heard someone sit behind him. He turned to see who it was. It was Firehail.

"Hey, buddy. You weren't in your quarters, so I figured you'd come down here. You're looking a little rough, there. You sleep OK?"

"You should have seen me half an hour ago. What happened last night?"

"You mean you haven't been to see her yet?"

"Who?"

"Jana."

"Oh, did I say I would? I really can't remember that much. Can you?"

Firehail went on to describe their conversation and the events of the day as best he could recall (which was significantly better than Frank.) As he went on, vague blurry pictures and fragments of conversations started to make more sense, and he regained his sense of urgency to go and see Jana.

"Wait a sec there, buddy. You're not exactly in pristine condition there," indicating Frank's crumpled and stinking uniform, morning shadow and none too fragrant breath. "You finish off those two drinks, then go have a shave and a shower and get yourself presentable. I think she deserves that, don't you?"

"Yeah. Thanks for all your help, I don't know what to say."

"Hey, you're my copilot. We're a team. We look out for each other. Now get going."[/rp]

What do people think so far, is it good, is it believable? I'm speaking way outside my own experience for some of these things. Not sure how much more I'll do. At least another two posts, how much more than that depends on whether I'll have any events to react to, but I could make some stuff up, I suppose.

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Cheers, Badger. I could have guessed that you would like it. smile.gif What's happened to that other BC story you were planning? Would be cool to work with you again. What do other people think? Was there anything that didn't seem to fit properly or anything?

Later,

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

I'm waiting until the Prime fleet re-org settles down before I write my next story, which will lead up to my promotion.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S56 Commander, Gamma Wing

[rp]The shower felt good. The pounding jets of water rejuvenated parts of his body that he had given up for lost. His mind unclogged itself and his lungs cleared. The grime and odour of last night's activity was condemned to the waste water system and he emerged a new man. His shave was clean and precise, as were the folds of his fresh uniform. Frank looked at himself in the mirror. His eyes had their old sparkle back. It was time to go.

He arrived at Jana's quarters and knocked on the door.

There was no response.

He tried again.

Nothing.

"Access Perscan."

He scrolled down the list.

"Flight Engineer 6 Flight Deck. Oh."

He headed down, and as he went, he had the growing sensation of his hands being empty. He changed direction, and headed to the mess. He 'requisitioned' a serving tray and the ingredients to make Jana's favourite sandwich, then carefully made it, summoning up all his culinary talents (which this task stretched to the full). He placed a bowl over it as a makeshift lid and carried on his journey. Upon arriving, he saw her across the room, neatening off a piece of twisted titanium with a cutting torch. Even in her dirty overalls, thick gloves and welding mask, he could still tell it was her, and she still took his breath away.

The systems engineer working with her lifted his head and then indicated the door. She turned and lifted her mask with a puzzled expression on her face, which instantly turned into a big smile, and she started to jog over, taking off her gloves. Frank smiled as well, and started towards her. Her smile grew even bigger and she broke into a run. Frank opened his arms and dropped the tray as she jumped into them. The tray landed with a clatter, ruining the sandwich Frank had prepared so carefully. His uniform got crumpled and smeared with all the muck from her overalls, but he didn't care. He'd made a little speech for this moment, but he'd forgotten it now, words weren't necessary. He was in the arms of his beloved and nothing was going to spoil this moment- laundry bills be damned.

They stood there in each other's arms, with tears of relief rolling down their faces, neither of them wanting the moment to end. There wasn't a single heart in the room that wasn't warmed by the sight they made.

"Frank-" she sobbed.

"Shhh. It's Okay, I'm here."

They were quiet for a little longer, but the moment had passed. They released their embrace and gazed deep into each other's eyes with a fresh appreciation of how much they meant to one another.

"Wow," whispered Frank.

He couldn't have summed it up any better.

They linked arms and walked off to the mess, oblivious to the mess they had left behind. They were excused this irresponsibility this time. They walked silently and contentedly to their destination, both just happy to be together again, and neither daring to spoil the atmosphere with frivolous conversation.

They arrived and sat down and began to talk. They talked about what had happened, what had gone through their minds and how much they'd missed each other. Then came the obvious question they'd both been avoiding.

"So where do we go from here?"

"I don't know."

There was a long pause. They had both been so concerned with the here and now that they were both stumped by thoughts of the future.

"It's been pretty intense recently, hasn't it?" said Frank

"Yeah. Maybe we should calm down a bit."

"OK, let's not rush things. Get to know each other properly, and see where it goes, without cutting ourselves off from everyone else."

"Sounds like a good plan. Put all this stuff behind us and move on."

"Yeah," Frank said slowly. That last remark stirred a thought in his mind. A memory of a decision he'd had to make. A loose end that needed to be tied.

He mentioned his thought to Jana. She agreed with the idea. He then stood and headed up to the bridge.

"I think it will help everyone deal with any remaining issues and move on."

"I agree," replied Ben, "I'll see what can be arranged."

"Thank you, sir."

Frank turned and left the room, looking forward to finally having all this mess behind him. Ben switched on his comms terminal.

"Okaaay Karen, you still know any of the administration staff at Galcom HQ?"

"Lots of them, why?"

"I think we might need to ask for a few favours"

Three hours later the following message was broadcast to all the Galcom ships in the area, and inside the station itself:

MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR INTERCEPTOR PILOTS GREGORY ROBINSON AND FRANK MORGAN AKA 'CAVALRY' AND 'DEADBOY' TO BE HELD IN FUNCTION ROOM 6 OF GALCOM HQ. ALL WELCOME TO ATTEND.[/rp]

So, anyone who wants to come along and say anything or just watch the proceedings is welcome. I believe even DeSylva might make his prescence known. Feel free to post about your responses to the invitation, but don't post about being at the service itself until I make my first post about it, please? smile.gif

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Oh, I also edited the big cliffhanger posts for a bit more tension. smile.gif

[rp]Ben awoke the next morning at 0640 hours, slightly earlier than normal, showered and ate a quick breakfast then put on his dress uniform. He passed through the almost empty corridors of the Svoboda, greeting a few crewmembers nearing the end of their night shift along the way. He entered the turboshaft at the end of the corridor and its doors closed behind him, cutting off what little sound came from the deck he had just left.

"Deck three," he said quietly, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere as the capsule moved swiftly and efficiently down to its destination. He exited and headed for the airlock to his left.

As he made the transition from ship to station he noticed the change in the sound his footsteps made, from the slight clang of hard deckplate to the hard clip of the stations polymeric floor covering. As he approached the end of the airlock corridor and identified himself to the security gate, he could barely make out the muffled sound of station activity on the other side.

The gate opened and relative to the silence of the airlock, the undampened noise seemed an overwhelming roar.

Ben picked his way through the busy corridors, feeling his tension rise the longer he spent in his least favourite environment. He reached a turboshaft and selected level 8, which contained the station's function rooms, briefing rooms and lecture theatres. The soft carpeted hallways and corridors were much quieter than the docking level below, and became quieter as he approached the function suites, enabling Ben's irritation to subside, but it was still a relief to enter the function room and hear the door close behind him.

Silence again.

He looked around the expansive room, designed to accommodate 500 people, but could take up to 1000 without getting uncomfortable. Those favours Karen had pulled had been worth it. It was immaculately decorated, with galcom banners hung majestically from the high ceiling and a large display screen immediately behind the podium displaying a summary of both pilot's service records. A picture of each of them in dress uniform topped each summary. The circular podium itself was ornately carved, with figures of eagles on both sides, and the insignias of the four galcom fleets in a diamond formation around the large galcom insignia in the centre.

The rows of seats were thoughtfully arranged, so that everyone seated would have a clear view of the proceedings, but also have easy access to the front in case they wanted to come down and say something about the two heroes to be commemorated. There was ample room on either side of the podium for people to wait their turn to say their piece and the public address system was well set up to ensure everyone heard what was said. It was perfect.

Ben sat down in one of the seats, relaxed his shoulders and absorbed the silence for a few moments, before in his mind repeatedly going over what he'd planned to say. He considered which bits to scrap and which bits to expand, and after several revisions he settled on the main points he would make. He never worked out exactly what he would say on any public occasion, his mind just didn't work best that way. Feeling as ready as ever would, he leant back and closed his eyes to enjoy the rarity of the silence that surrounded him.[rp]

OK, the time is now 0730 or thereabouts. Frank and Jana will arrive about 0820, and the rest of my crew by 0845. The ceremony will start at 0900 sharp, so if you want to be around, incorporate whichever of these facts are appropriate to your posts.

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[rp]Jana arose from her restless nights sleep, her bedclothes either severely crumpled or catapulted across her quarters with all the tossing and turning she did. Many painful memories haunted her and many dark thoughts plagued her mind. After suddenly waking from her third nightmare, she looked at the clock in her room and decided not to risk re-entering the darkest corners of her subconscious.

She showered and breakfasted, carefully tidied her quarters and prepared her dress uniform, drawing out the process to try and distract herself for a few more minutes. After copious examinations and readjustments she was at least satisfied with how she looked, if not with how she felt. She looked at the clock again. There was still half an hour before Frank was due to meet her. Too long to be left alone with her thoughts right now. She went over to her desk, pulled a battered old datapad out of a drawer and began to read the ancient text recorded in it, looking for some sort of magic words she could say to dispel the demons that surrounded her. Not really believing in those sorts of things meant that she met with very little success in that regard, but she was slightly comforted by some of the words, and at least she was distracted for a while.

The knock on her door came as a shock, and she hurriedly hid the datapad back in the drawer before standing, taking a deep breath and putting on her best smile for her beloved. She opened the door and there he was, five minutes early and dressed immaculately.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"You look great, even better than normal, if that's possible," Frank said with a grin.

"You look very nice too."

Frank offered his arm. "Ready to go?"

She took it"OK."

As they made their way to the function room, Frank noticed that she became more and more withdrawn and pensive, almost as if she was on the way to her own court-martial.

"Are you OK? You sure you want to go through with all of this?"

"We can't call it off now." Then she stopped, straightened up and drew a deep breath. "No. It needs to be done."

As they entered the function room, they both gasped softly at the majestic setting for the proceedings. They noticed a single figure sitting at the front that turned his head towards them. It was Commander Zwycky. They walked over, still arm in arm.

"Thank you for doing this, sir. This is more than I expected."

"Karen had to pull a few favours, but it was worth it. They deserve the best we can give them. You alright there, Jana? You don't look so good."

"I'll be OK. There are lots of painful memories, you know."

"Of course." Ben suspected that there were things that had happened which he didn't know about, which he might never know about. "Look, if either of you need to talk, I'm not just here to give orders, you know."

"Thank you sir."

They both moved past him to the end of the front row and sat together, Frank doing his best to comfort his distressed companion.[/rp]

OK, everybody, you're free to join the proceedings now. As I stated in my previous post, the time is now 0825, and the rest of my crew will be arriving over the next twenty minutes. I'll be leaving a gap until my post to start the proceedings so that anyone who wants to be there can be. I will respond to any post that involves people talking to me beforehand. Lets make an occasion of it.

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Alun, you can post about recieving the invitation, your reaction to it, getting to the function room, absorbing the atmosphere, maybe chatting to the other people there, and once the proceedings start you can post about watching the proceedings, and there'll be a point when the floor will be thrown open for anyone to step forward onto the podium and pay their respects, say something of their experience of the two of them. The same applies for anyone who wants to be there. Badger, you going to be around? Anyone else?

OK, slight change of timetable. I'll be getting a comms message at about 0830, and beam back to my ship, returning to the function room at 0850. My crew should all be there by then.

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

General Operatives Wing -ISS Fleet

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 03-02-2000).]

{RP ON}

Cavalry and Deadboy. They were good men, he thought. Though I hardly knew them, I knew of their bravery, and what they had done during the fight with the Vesperons.

Commander Alun Tringad thought to himself as he walked along the halls of Galcom HQ. Why such brave warriors are always the ones to die, I'll never know.

He entered function room 6, dressed in his Galcom dress uniform, at 0849. He didn't see Commander Zwycky as he looked around the room.

He stood for a second, then found a seat. He looked at his watch and saw it was 0850, as he sat down.{RP OFF}

Left it open in case you want to talk to me when you get here, Ben.

------------------

Commander Alun Tringad

GCV Black Falcon ISS03

Vice Fleet Leader - ISS Fleet

Tactical Support Wing Commander - ISS Fleet

- Award for Gallantry

Staff Member at RPGClassics.com

[rp]Time: 0830 hours

Ben's personal communicator beeped.

"Ben, an ISS Fleet Command Shuttle is approaching the Svoboda and requesting landing clearance."

"Oh, OK, Karen. Have me beamed directly to the Flight deck. I'll welcome our guest personally."

The jump anomaly appeared to block out Ben's view of the podium before he was sucked into it and ejected in the midst of a bustling crowd of technicians on the Svoboda's flight deck. Spare parts and repair materials were hurriedly tidied away, and a guard of honour was quickly lined up for their important arrival.

"Commander, our ETA on the Svoboda is two minutes. They're just clearing the

flight deck now."

The silent figure, dress uniform crisp, nodded quickly to the pilot, before turning to stare at the Svoboda. The great ship had taken serious damage; the scars were still fresh in places. On one side of the ship, at the edge of his vision, tiny shadows accentuated the mismatch between large titanium plates and the sections of hull they had been hastily applied to. As the shuttle grew closer, the bottom of the battlecruiser filled his vision, darkening the shuttle as it blocked out the sun. Crenellated armour and the tiny glow-points of port viewers drew closer, wrapping the shuttle in a metallic embrace. The shuttle, lined up for it's final approach into the docking bay of the Svoboda, moved to one side to drift slowly past one of the massive IOD turrets. They were so close that the brown-black gas deposits from the plasma-powered weapon could be clearly seen, the massive gun half the size of the entire shuttle.

Finally, they crossed the threshold of the docking bay, and gradually entered the maw of the ship. The atmospheric containment fields caused the shuttle to buck slightly; the viewscreen fogged over almost instantly, but the pilot had already activated the external demister; a controlled electrostatic field on the outside of the shuttle rapidly repelled the condensed water from the hull of the shuttle, still warming up after the infinite coldness of deep space. As the shuttle moved forward, the pilot, and his quiet passenger, could see the rare spectacle of atmosphere bleeding into space past the edges of the vessel, crystallizing instantly to form white ribbons, and just as quickly dispersing.

Within the docking bay, there was no gravity, and so the shuttle carefully descended towards it's marked docking bay, the flashing lights guiding it in slowly, until with an imperceptible thump the shuttle touched down, landing skids extended. The pilot flipped several switches, and the passenger heard the generators of the shuttle winding down, their supersonic hum becoming audible and dropping in pitch. Finally, the pilot reached forward and locked down the controls.

"Sir - we are cleared to disembark."

The passenger got up, and nodded grimly. As he rose, he grimaced slightly in pain, and one hand reached reflexively for his shoulder. He shook himself out, before stepping out of the cockpit and into the passenger section of the shuttle.

The four GALCOM marines were already prepared, and they saluted as he stepped out. They formed up, two in front and two behind him, and together the procession stepped out of the shuttle.

At the bottom of the ramp, Commander Zwycky stood with several of his officers. As the first marines stepped down the ramp, they all saluted.

"Commander Ristar! Welcome to the ship. I am glad you could be here, this ceremony is going to be very important for the crew, in many ways."

Suddenly, Zwycky's eyes widened as he saw who was walking down the ramp.

DeSylva smiled. "Commander Ristar will be joining us shortly, Ben."

----

"I thought you were still in the medical facilities, sir," spoken Zwycky as they walked towards the flight deck where the ceremony would be held.

"I arranged to be released for the ceremony after Ristar informed me what was going on. Besides, I had other matters to attend to as well."

Ben nodded. "I must confess I am a little surprised to see you here, considering your...ahh..."

DeSylva smiled. "My known aversion to the cloning project?" he replied. Ben nodded.

"Commander Zwycky, I have been a vocal protester to the use of cloning technology to supplement military forces for many years. Cloning can never replace a person, but the effects it has on the friends, family, and loved ones of the deceased who believe it can, are devastating. Not to mention the effect it has on the clones themselves, when they discover their entire lives have been computer simulated."

Ben looked at DeSylva in surprise.

"You know?"

DeSylva nodded. "I do. Ristar gave me a full update on the situation and he knows everything there is to know about our ships and crew." Before Ben could protest, DeSylva waved a hand, wincing in the process. "I'm sure you did what you had to do, even though it was a shocking breach of cloning guidelines. Besides, they all find out eventually."

Ben nodded.

"Ben, just because I hate what GALCOM and EarthCOM are doing with cloning technology, doesn't mean I hate those who have to bear the burden - the clones themselves. If this helps your pilot, then I'm here."

Ben nodded gratefully. "Thank you, sir."

"Don't mention it. There is one other matter I need to speak to you about."

"What is that, sir?"

"As you know, commander Ristar has been my Adjutant since the fleet's inception. However, as our fleet has grown, his duties as the Commander of the Intelligence and Espionage Wing have taken more and more of his time. Not to mention his involvement with the Jade Dragon."

Ben nodded. "He is certainly a multi-talented commander. We're lucky to have him."

DeSylva smiled. "As of today, I am releasing him from his position as Adjutant. I need someone who can make it their sole command priority. He simply can't continue to run the Wing, command his own ship, AND act as my Adjutant."

Ben nodded. "I totally agree sir, although it's hard to think of anyone who could possibly replace him. Do you have anyone in mind?"

DeSylva nodded. "As a matter of fact, I do. I need someone well known to the fleet, someone who has plenty of connections amongst the ISS, someone who is respected for their honour and integrity; and someone fairly new to this, so I can train them well." DeSylva grinned at the last comment.

Ben continued to nod. "A tall order, then."

DeSylva looked Ben over. "Well, maybe not that tall, although you're certainly not short," DeSylva said, pressing a key on his wristpad. "Ben Zwycky, active immediately, I am conferring on you the responsibilities of ISS Fleet Adjutant, with all obligations, benefits, and clearances that position carries."

Ben looked astounded.

"Sir, are you sure, I mean this is a very large responsibility you're giving me."

"Are you trying to say you don't want the job?"

"Not at all, sir! It's an incredible honour, it's just that this has come as a bit of a surprise."

"You know that you can trust my judgement in command decisions, and I have considered this one carefully. I look forward to working with you."

"So I take it you are returning to active duties, then?"

DeSylva smiled. "Only as Fleet Commander. I'll remain on the First Light, once it's repairs are complete, but I will not be Commander of it. It will serve as my flagship."

Zwycky stopped and looked closely at DeSylva.

"Sir...with all due respect, I never imagined the First Light being commanded by anyone else."

DeSylva smiled faintly. "Ben, the First Light has always been commanded by other people. Her crew, her officers. She does all their bidding. All we'll be doing is changing my place on the Perscan."

Ben turned and continued walking. "Who will you be replaced with?" he asked.

"A person named Renwick. Gary Renwick."

Ben looked puzzled. "I'm not sure I know of him." DeSylva smiled in response.

"You wouldn't. He used to be a member of Prime Fleet. He was a pilot during the First Gammulan War; once he recovered from his injuries he continued to fly, but was injured again. He was taken off the flight roster, and completed his officer training. I've transferred him to the fleet to take over the First Light's command post. He's something of a friend."

Ben looked surprised. "Nepotism?" he asked. DeSylva just continue to smile.

"No. I call it trust."

"Well, sir, I hope that it is well placed. In both of us."

"I know it is. Commander, I know you must have last minute preparations to make. You go on ahead to the function room, and I will be along shortly."

"Yes, sir." Ben walked off briskly, getting back to the function room in half the time it had taken him before.

Upon entering the room, Ben was struck by the sudden increase in numbers of people. He looked around for the people he had expected to be there.

Through the crowd he saw the distinctive figure of Commander Tringad, seated in one of the middle rows. He looked around a bit more, but couldn't see Commander Badgerius, whom he'd expected to be there. This disappointed him a little, but there was still time. Alun noticed him, waved and stood. Ben approached and greeted the taller man.

"Alun! Glad you could make it!"[/rp]

DeSylva wrote that part about himself before he said he was going. He also sent me what he's going to say during the service. None of you know that he's going to be there, because he's been restricted to Renegade Station medical facility since the First Light was seriously damaged.

Anyway, where are you, Badger? Come on and join the proceedings. You'll be most welcome.

We can have a little natter if you want, Alun smile.gif

TTFN,

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 03-07-2000).]

Sure, Ben smile.gif Don't know if I'll be able to post today, though. I'll try, but I'm busy now. Later.

------------------

Commander Alun Tringad

GCV Black Falcon ISS03

Vice Fleet Leader - ISS Fleet

Tactical Support Wing Commander - ISS Fleet

- Award for Gallantry

Staff Member at RPGClassics.com

Oops! I've been so caught up with Gamma Wing duties, I almost missed this!

[RP]

Sev looked once more at the words on the screen. The two names burned their way into his mind, and memory rose unbidden to the surface of his mind.

The bridge of the the Diligence: blackened and burned, a gaping hole where the viewscreen should be. Vesperon marines pouring through that hole. The helmsman, only a kid, laying dead on the deck. The bodies of others, trusted officers all, crumpled on the deck. Sev, O'Neil, and Sgt. Peterson returning fire desparately from behind the maptable as the Diligence drifts towards Mercury. Fading hope, the thought of retreat.

And from beyond the hull breach, a single, miraculous fighter. Blackened and venting, it lays down a deadly accurate stream of laser fire, cutting down the Vesperons where they stand. Cheering and waving, as the fighter pulls up and does a victory roll.

And then a single bolt of energy from an undamaged Vesperon carrier. An explosion, and heroes die.

Sev opened his eyes, and a look of determination crossed his features. Sev quickly sent 56 priority messages, one for each of the surviving crewmembers of the GCV-Diligence.

Then he sent one more, to the commanding officer of the two pilots that had saved his life, and the life of his crew, and his ship, that day at Mercury.

"We'll be there, Ben. All of us."

[RP OFF]

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

Time to make an entrance.

[RP]

It began in the docking bay of the greatest of Galactic Command's space stations. Here and there, a stern faced soldier was seen. Some were injured, some were not, but all wore a crisp dress uniform.

They began to gather in the vast open spaces of the docking bay, under the shadows of the great Battlecruisers on which they served. They didn't speak to each other. All which needed to be said passed between them when their eyes met.

As their numbers grew, an open space grew with them, as people saw the stern faced soldiers and gave them a wide berth.

Finally, two officers and a marine sergeant approached the group. Without a word the soldiers fell into ranks, four abreast. As they stood there in the shadows of the Battlecruisers, the reason for the gathering at last became apparent. On the arm of every one of them was a black armband.

As the formation began to move forward, the way cleared before them. As they wound their way through the corridors of the great station, no word was spoken. Yet not one of them mistepped or failed to turn at a specific junction. It was as if they had the route memorized.

The formation made their way to the eighth deck of the great station, and marched across the plush carpets of the reception area. As they approached a large function hall, a gathering could be heard.

When the head of formation reached the doors of the hall, they opened, revealing a richly decorated hall filled with people. The formation stepped forward into the hall, and silence fell. When the entire formation had entered the hall, it stopped. For five heartbeats, the sternfaced soldiers were still, and then as one they came to attention and saluted the two pictures mounted on the wall.

Cmdr. Sev Badgerius, at the head of the formation, looked at the two pictures, searching his mind for something apt, and meaningful to say. Only one thing came to mind, and so he said it:

"Thank you. You saved us."

Upon hearing her Commander's words, Lt. Commander Alison O'Neil turned sharply on her heel to face the formation.

"Honour March....Dismissed."

[RP OFF]

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

rp-

It had been a long security sweep. Maxamillian had to make sure that the Memorial for the two pilots went off without a hitch. Because the enemies of GALCOM would love to cause some sort of insident while all these seasoned commanders were grouped together. While the GCV-DREADNAUGHT silently patrolled the Sol perimeter MAX had transported to GALCOM to personally see to the secutity of the Spacestation himself.

MAX had a soft spot for fighter pilots, that was how he had come up through the ranks.

-------

-He stood in the shadows of the Function Room and watched the commanders arrive. His strange pale eyes took it all in. There was a surprise, Commander DeSylva was here, looking pale but fit considering his long recovery ordeal. There was Ben, SVOBODA's Cmdr. and Badgerius the Cmdr. of the DILIGENCE looking stiff and formal in his dress uniform.

MAX made one last check on his personel to see that they were at their positions and then stood back in the shadows waiting quietly for the services to begin.

rp/off

Ben, you can't have a function without Security.LOL >------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught

Prime Fleet

G2 Intelligence/Security

G3 Tactics(Acting)

ICQ#48334198

Shipsmotto: "Retreat? Hell!"

*Phew*

Thanks, Max. Your services are much appreciated smile.gif

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07