A story idea...

I suddenly realized that I had yet to write any stories on this forum! Even though I hardly ever post, I do enjoy writing, so I thought I would post here and ask for some help. I notice all of the stories here are collaborative efforts, after all. For those that are interested, the plot involves a mysterious ship, an even more mysterious man (me), and GALCOM and the Insurgents. If anyone wishes to help, please contact me! You can also reply to this thread, too, if you want to join in! I've also been told that you guys are a little picky about inserting new characters (like mine), so let me know if there is any problem. smile.gif

And one more thing: the story involves time travel... but it's not a "time travel" story. I don't like those anyway. It's just used for the setup, and then it's pretty much irrelevant. I hope this post made sense... it'd be the first time...

Email: [email protected], [email protected]

-------------

Cmdr. Robert Thomas Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

"The next time you have a bright idea, run it by ME first!"

Just to let everyone know, I've talked with Robert about this over ICQ before-hand, and since we're both pretty green to the RP areas (although I'm busy reading through "Preemptive Strike" as I speak) I told him to make this post to confirm it was alright, since I can clearly remember the way a few of my past threads went smile.gif

So if you've got any tips or comments before we get started, post em here. We're planning on going pretty deep, even if it's just the two of us posting, and hopefully we'll be able to create something you guys will enjoy reading (I've gone over some of his other material, it's good stuff, and I myself am working on a bunch of RP threads on an anime fan-forum).

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at www.tacticalplanet.com

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 01-07-2000).]

Well, the only tips I can offer really are common sense ones that were established yonks ago when all the RP stuff first started.

First, it's not a good idea to be doing anything like creating new castes, races, factions etc. Nor is it a good idea to start inventing new technologies or radically screw with event history.

If you are planning to do somthing which may upset the continuity of the universe, I'd suggest asking for permission to do so from a higher power (Such as the SC in my own example) or one of the admins. Posting somthing which is likely to get you shouted at is the surest way to get yourself booted out the airlock.

Also, set the rules for participants at the begining of the scenario or you may well end up with contradictory posts n other chaos all over the place. On my own thread, I ran it pretty restrictive and tight so as to prevent things getting out of control. In some respects it has been a bit restrictive, but on the whole my method has kept the continuity (For the most part) intact and the story running smoothly.

Anyway, these are just my basic words of wisdom. Read the other RP threads/storys and make up your own mind on how to procede with things.

Hope this is of help. Lookin forward to participating. smile.gif

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

Hell no, we're just planning on introducing a couple of new characters and setting up our own little storyline.

So it's cool with everyone else then? I guess we'll get started! Rob will start us off, I'll go tell him now.

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

quote:

I've also been told that you guys are a little picky about inserting new characters (like mine), so let me know if there is any problem.

I don't have a problem with new characters. I do have a problem with things that are not consistent with the game and it's universe. That said go to the links page and check out the 666th Covert Ops Arm. Done well certain things can work. No new ships, no new tech.

Just outline your story or whatever you feel is necessary. People will join if they are interested. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

Alright, I've been discussing with Rob on what we're gonna put down, and here's where I have a few questions for you guys.

Basically we will be introducing a character and a ship from a different time period. The storyline will deal with a time-traveller and his ship, The Glory. Now here's where our question lies.. would it be ok to introduce this sort of thing?

Note that we're planning on nuking the ship at an early point of the story, and it won't have any exotic tech on-board that would interfere with the BC3k universe, aside from a time-travel device, which is the main reason we're probably gonna nuke the ship.

So are you guys ok with the mix-n-match universe thing here? As I said, we'll only be introducing one character from another time and one ship which we'll make vanish early on. Just wanted to run this past you guys before we started and got flamed to death by stick-waving RP'ers smile.gif

And this probably won't be from any universe you've heard of, it's a completely fictional one that the guy created on his own. So don't expect us to shove the Enterprise in there or something smile.gif

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

Guest aramike01

I hope they let the idea float, Parias. IMHO, the draw of the sci-fi genre is the ability to be nearly limitless in it's possibilities, so long as they conform to the universe by which they exist. And I really think that your story idea has some serious kick-ass potential. Let me know if you are interested in having another writer get involved...

------------------

Commander Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

To anyone that doesn't want the story to be spoiled a bit: DON'T READ THIS POST! Heh...

The basic story plot is this: Mr. Maxwell is sent to the BC3K universe to retrieve this ship... The Glory. Unfortunately, GALCOM finds it first, and decides to examine it. But all the tech they find aboard it is antiquated, except for a device they can't identify. This is the temporal device. It's the entire reason Robert is there in the first place. He ends up landing on an Insurgent ship, and decides to use them to his own benefit... and turn them in to GALCOM. As a result of this "heroic" act, he is given a command. It's not the ONLY reason he gets the command... he does have to prove himself to GALCOM more than that, of course... but it's the general idea. The general plot goes like this:

1) GALCOM captures Glory.

2) Robert comes after it, landing in Insurgent territory.

3) After securing the trust of the Insurgents (he's quite good at that kind of thing), he betrays them to GALCOM.

4) Robert is given a "temporary" command to complete a mission for GALCOM. Due to his knowledge of Insurgent installations (which he got from the Insurgents themselves), he is "ordered" to capture certain Insurgent installations. I'm willing to take volunteers here, or we can make up an obscure one, if necessary. > <B>

[This message has been edited by Robert Maxwell (edited 01-08-2000).]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Ok, let me say my view on this.

If you try this time travel thing, even if you are destroying this ship early on, it is like introducing something completely new into the BC3K universe. My advice is...DON'T!!! Unless you are going to use a ship from BC3020 (Which would be my advice...use something that's already aproved!) then don't, under any circumstances, do this! Don't say I didn't warn you.

Gaining the trust of the Insurgents isn't that easy. They are very wary of stuff like this, so they have procedure for doing things. You will be stripped of rank, and put through rigirous training before being allowed to become an Insurgent Commander. Since it seems that you aren't intending to do this, I wouldn't recommend going to the Insurgents unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you want to join them. If you DO go through all that training etc, then if you betray them, not only will it mean that you went through all that crap for nothing, but you will ALSO have made enemies of the Insurgency, as well as Galcom and Earthcom. So, you will be a loner, basically.

Galcom doesn't like people who defect to the Insurgents. If you defected, then defected back, you would just be executed/court martialed/thrown in jail (Take your pick). It's not like you can just play around with both of them, changing sides when you please. Pick one, then stick with it. If you decide to defect to the other side, then stick with that one. But, you can't defect more than once. Once you have defected (To whichever side), that's it. No more. You're stuck with them. Unless you wanna be a loner, in which case you will not have the power of a fleet to back you up if you get into trouble.

So, take it from me. Rethink your story a bit. I'm sure you don't want to end up having enemies all around you, and no friends.

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

Executive Officer of the Orion Fleet.

Tsunami Battle Group.

GCV Galatea

Fleet Business Address: [email protected]

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Ouch, sounds like I have some things to think about. Hmm... maybe this wasn't such a splendid idea in the first place.

--------

Cmdr. Robert Maxwell

Wraith Fleet

SIN Wing

GCV Desideratus

"Who needs diplomacy when you've got RANDOM?"

It's nice to see a Commander with some taste. smile.gif Welcome to Wraith, and the SIN Wing.

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

Prime Fleet

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

Commander, SIN Wing

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way."

- John Paul Jones

[This message has been edited by Ben Somerset (edited 01-09-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Hey Maxwell...

Don't abandon the idea yet. I think it is very possible to make a story out of this. I love the original premise as it kinda dives away from the "build-up to battle" theme that is so common in here (not to say that I don't like that theme, but variety is good). Original sci-fi is good sci-fi.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

There will be battles in the story (assuming I still write it), but they will be more along the lines of minor skirmishes than cataclysmic slaughters. I don't intend for this story to adversely affect the BC3K universe... the main intent is to introduce a new character, and make a fun story out of it. Now, these are the problems I am currently having with it:

1) I have been told "No new ships, no new tech." At first, I thought it would be possible to satisfy this requirement by simply ensuring the ship and all its tech were destroyed... with GALCOM learning absolutely nothing from it. The whole incident with the ship might occupy a tiny little classified record at GALCOM HQ, and that'd be about it. I hardly think it would disrupt the universe... it would just be there for as long as it's needed, and then destroyed. I want to make it clear that the ship is nothing but a PLOT DEVICE. I have no intention of doing anything major to the universe, nor would I want to (nor would it be smiled upon).

2) The issue of defection. I realize that people can't be allowed to defect willy-nilly, but it's unrealistic to think people in GALCOM wouldn't have divided loyalties, or vice versa. My intent is not for Robert to work for GALCOM and be secretly doing favors for the Insurgency. That would be a little TOO obvious, wouldn't it? As for the "trust" issue between Maxwell and the Insurgents: Maxwell is a very patient person. If necessary, the story can span months, if not years. And wouldn't that make it all the more poignant when he ultimately betrays them to GALCOM? Believe me, I try to consider all options when writing a story, and I also try to make character evolution as natural a thing as possible. I want to stress that, while the story may come across as a "space epic" (so to speak), it is mainly an ensemble character piece.

Now, please don't get on my case if I sound like I think I'm a great writer... because I don't. I write for fun. I hope people enjoy reading what I post here, because I honestly like communicating with you... I wouldn't waste my time if I didn't. I hope that when (if) I post my story here, everyone enjoys it... hopefully enough to contribute. smile.gif Well, I guess I've about covered all I wanted to... I'm not out to make anyone mad, I just want to make sure I don't step on any toes. And, if there IS a problem with my ship idea (still), then please explain to me WHY it is such an enormous problem... I'm still willing to compromise.

Cmdr. Robert Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

Wraith Fleet, SIN Wing

"I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG

Guest aramike01

Maxwell, that was very well thought-out. Hey, SC...can we let this story fly? I'm sure everyone will referee and make sure it doesn't get out of hand...

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

quote:

I have been told "No new ships, no new tech."

Why are my ears burning? wink.gif Well, with the assurances you have given that your ship will be destroyed and you won't have any sneaky futuristic devices to wreak havoc in the universe I'd say give it a shot. You must enjoy a good time paradox. I do. (Try "The Red Limit Freeway" by John DeChancie).

Just out of curiosity, how's he gonna get back? And if the Glory is from a different universe how can we tell she's antiquated? wink.gif Don't worry, I about got that one figured out. Drive capabilities, sensor capabilities, etc.

Sounds like the story is going to be character driven and not tech driven, and knowing that Derek is going to give us a new "sector/galaxy" to play in for 3020, it sounds ok if done well. And it seems like you will. My opinions only.

We've talked other threads to death as well. Start it and see. You'll know if something is wrong. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

Maxwell won't be going home. smile.gif That's actually the whole idea... he gets stuck in this universe (and he probably wouldn't be too happy about it). Parias and I are going to start working on it... and then we'll see where it goes from there!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

------------------

Cmdr Robert Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

Wraith Fleet, SIN Wing

"I don't want the world, I just want your half!"

This is probably a good time to explain the character I'll be introducing as well. So if you have any comments, speak now, or forever hold your peace... or something.

Thanks to Parias' interesting.. er.. "background".. I'll be taking control of a female character named Cygni. She has green hair (that earns her some unwanted stares), has some good combat experience and a "Don't screw with me or I'll cap you in the head" attitude (minor exaggeration), and has just recently joined up with the Insurgency (as recently as could be expected with her still having command of her own ship, she's just completed the training and whatnot and has begun command of her own battlecruiser). We're planning on having her as Maxwell's first contact with the Insurgency, although if someone else wants that honor, speak up and I'll have the two meet at another point.

Oh and as I said, she has a "Don't screw with me" attitude, but don't worry, I'll keep the swearing within acceptable levels smile.gif

So if nobody else has any comments on this.. I guess we'll get started!

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

Guest Ron Wallin

Mr. Maxwell, interesting idea. I've read your initial post and am divided as to whether or not I should shut it down...

I didn't think it was necessary to post on the issue due to Hamblin's ample post. Specifically point number 1.

There has been a long standing caveat in this forum: No technology that isn't already part of the universe. That's not to say the rule hasn't been bent a bit. Read the posts from the past year and you'll understand.

However, anything new introduced here has merely been a translation of technology from within the game. And that's where your story strays severely from the path.

You introduce a small time-travel ship (destruction intentions aside) as well as an entire universe completely outside the one to which all roleplay in this forum must conform. Yes, I understand that you are planning to destroy the vessel. Yes, I concede that the existence of other universes is entirely possible. Unfortunately, I don't see where you were given authorization to introduce these things within this universe.

There is only one person allowed that comfort: Derek Smart.

You obviously have a good story idea in mind. However, the alternate universe, Glory, and time-travel are completely unnecessary to that story (you admit that it's merely setting a stage for your character's introduction).

I understand that your intentions are in the right place. Please understand that its my responsibillity to look beyond those intentions and protect the integrity of this forum.

Please edit your introduction with these rules in mind:

1. This is the BC universe. You are bound by the conventions of the game and those conventions previously agreed upon by Derek Smart and those he has put in charge of this aspect of his universe. i.e., no new universe exists; time travel is not possible; etc.

2. Large scale conflicts that would pit GALCOM against Insurgents in a battle royal are not allowed (Historical accounts are different as they are subject to individual interpretation providing they still conform to the history provided within the manual).

3. No new fleets, races of beings, starstations or worlds. Castes, the galaxy, the ships caste types are likely to own, etc. are easily discernable from within the manual or (should you decide to play) the game.

4. Providing you remain within the confines of the two previous rules and that you adhere to what would be realistic for you character/ship/etc. you are allowed to write just about anything. Understanding however that at anytime works deemed inappropriate can and will be terminated without explanation.

These rules are spartan compared to most and are not as prohibitive as you think. The BC universe is vast and there are an infinite number of possibilities within that universe.

Your story idea is far from affected by this. Simply return to the planning stage and edit your story intro ASAP.

Thank You.

------------------

Cmdr. Akira

ICV Nevermore

Spectre, Command Staff

Base Commander, The Dojo

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

Might I inquire as to just what he should edit it to?

I don't mean to adopt a bi*chy attitude or anything, but we've pretty much planned out our whole storyline based on what we've got from the start, and I can't think of any way that we could change it without compromising the point to writing this in the first place. Our whole point was, as I said above, mixing-n-matching universes to see how it'd work out. Every writer's dream (or at least mine anyways, who else out there has wanted to see Star-Trek meets Star-Wars, or Freespace 2 meets Bc3k, for example?).

Also, from the posts above, and the fact that this never got any real negative responses 'till now, we both thought it would be AOK to go ahead with this, and as thus I spent a good couple of hours just a short time ago preparing my reply, only to come onto the forums and see your post.

Really, I don't mean to sound negative or anything, but could there have been a way for you to tell us before we got started? We were pretty clear on what we were going to do in our above posts.

Thanks, and once again I don't mean to sound negative, I guess I'm just a bit disappointed at the moment.

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

Guest aramike01

Maxwell, I'm assuming this alternate-universe will pretty much be forgotten as the story progresses. Am I correct in that?

Anyway, I really hate to jump in here, but I enjoyed reading Maxwell's intro. The reason I'm posting is simple: I think the story should stay the way it is.

Here is my logic:

As long as this alternate-universe applies only to Maxwell himself, no harm is done to the integrity of this forum, or the BC3K universe. If there is, I fail to see it.

Charles Lindsey said,

quote:

Sounds like the story is going to be character driven and not tech driven

As long as that holds true, as it appears to in the intro, why not let the story unfold? The technology that Maxwell is "introducing" will cease to exist in the BC3K universe, thus, causing no harm to it whatsoever.

I apologize if I am ruffling feathers here in any way. I do believe in regulation, but over-regulation to protect what, IMHO, is not threatened in any way is ludicrous.

The story should go on.

The way it is.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

PS-

Btw, I volunteer to personally monitor this story and if anything threatens the integrity of the BC3K universe, I make sure to inform the proper people.

If I fail in that task, I will assume responsibility for the thread and personally take any punishment deemed neccessary.

This is how strongly I feel. Don't make me regret it, Maxwell.

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 01-14-2000).]

Okay, allow me to explain myself, Mr. Wallin.

The purpose of Maxwell coming from another universe is more than just stage-setting. It makes this story a "man out of his element" tale. And, despite what your post indicated, it would VERY adversely affect the story to confine Maxwell's origins to the BC3K universe. He would be familiar with the universe and the things going on in it, and he would be on a given side no matter where he began. The way I am writing this, he is going in with no knowledge of either GALCOM's intentions or Insurgent intentions. He will be able to choose from the evidence he sees which side is the "right" side for him to be on. If he were native to the BC3K universe, it would affect the story in this way:

Maxwell would probably have to start out as an Insurgent (in order to betray them later). Unfortunately, it would be ludicrous to believe GALCOM would give him a command after nearly half a century in service to the Insurgency. So, I suppose I have one other alternative: to make Maxwell an undercover GALCOM operative to infiltrate the Insurgents. Is this feasible? If so, I imagine I could rewrite the intro to this end. However, it WILL disrupt the entire original plan I had... but I suppose that's a sacrifice that has to be made. If Parias is still willing to go forward with the story, then we will both rewrite what we've done. If not, then I will delete the original post (I think that's possible, right?).

I am glad you brought this to our attention, Mr. Wallin, but I am NOT pleased that I wasn't told until AFTER we had made some progress. By looking at the tone of my previous posts, I'm sure you can see I was doing my best to accommodate the "rules" of the forum. I await any further input you have. Until then, I will be retooling the story to fit within the confines set forth.

Now, Aramike... As per your question, YES, the alternate universe will be mostly forgotten. It won't matter to anyone but Maxwell himself. In effect, he won't tell ANYONE where/when he is really from. The universe, as you said, will apply only to Maxwell. Another thing: while I appreciate your offer to monitor the story and essentially put your own reputation on the line, I don't believe I could accept such an offer in good conscience. It's not to say I have any intention of getting in trouble (that's why I started this thread in the first place) but I don't feel it is either necessary or fair for you to put personal stake in this when I would be the one to blame. I do not wish to invoke the wrath of anyone here... especially Mr. Smart. I just want to tell a story.

------------------

Cmdr Robert Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

Wraith Fleet, SIN Wing

[This message has been edited by Robert Maxwell (edited 01-14-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Maxwell-

Just trying to get a point across. As I stated, I enjoyed reading the intro very much and I would prefer things stay the way they are. I don't, and never will, believe in excessive regulation. And, as I stated, I don't believe that the BC3K universe will be compromised in any way.

On another note: If the story is allowed to continue (the way it is), I would enjoy participating. Let me know if you're ok with this.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

I am perfectly fine with you participating, Cmdr Kristophers. However, there are just a few things that need to happen for the story to work. I retooled it a bit from the previous explanation, but this is how it works:

1) Maxwell arrives on Glory

2) Insurgents capture Maxwell + Glory

3) Maxwell joins them

4) Glory will be destroyed.

5) Hark (the Insurgent ship in the story) will have a little skirmish with GCV Desideratus (hey, isn't that name familiar?)

6) Things will basically progress as Maxwell works for the Insurgents, and the Cmdr of Desideratus plots revenge (having lost the prior battle).

It's kinda obvious that it will lead to a final confrontation, but ANYTHING can happen in the meantime. Now, if, in fact, I am forced to get rid of the alternate universe and so forth, this will be the outline:

1) Maxwell is an undercover agent of Earthcom, infiltrating the Insurgents. He ends up on ICV Hark, and befriends them.

2) After that point, it's basically the same story. Desideratus and all. Except no "man out of his element" stuff, since it wouldn't be appropriate anymore.

So, if you want in... feel free. Parias and I just have to do some setup, and things should be good to go. I would like to wait for any further input from the people in charge, as well. For the time being, I shall just plan the story a bit.

------------------

Cmdr Robert Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

Wraith Fleet, SIN Wing

Guest Ron Wallin

I appreciate your position, Maxwell. Unfortunately, my ruling stands.

The "man out of his element" tale can be told in many different ways. There's amnesia; hysteria; any number of mental conditions. Those are just the normal human factors.

One particular idea comes to mind and is actually part of the game: the cloning module. It is merely an accepted fact that a cloned individual has all the memories of its predecessor. I pose these questions.

If a clone has all the knowledge of the one before, how are they recording and passing the information? Genetics? Synapse imaging prior to the originals death? Burst history lesson?

In game, a clone's ai, etc. is reset. This would suggest that none of these things happen with pilots, etc. However, it would seem, due to the nature of the game, that a clone of a ship commander or someone of hihger status would be subjected to some type of forced learning.

What would happen if a ship commander wasn't subjected to a history lesson of his/her predessesor?

Just some ideas. There are many ways that your character would be given command of a GALCOM starship but still be "man out of his environment".

aramike: Thanks for your offer. 1st, it's my job to monitor everything that goes on here. 2nd, only Derek Smart has the authority to make that kind of promotion (he doesn't do it on a whim!).

Parias: I was unable to post in time to prevent matters. I understand your feelings, and am sorry this had to happen. I hate it when editors tell me to rewrite in order to comply with some rule. Being a writer often requires a desire to be outside the box... But not on my watch smile.gif

Also, unless DS warrants otherwise, this site and this forum is about BC. It is NOT about what would happen if BC merged with Star Wars, etc. It is NOT Alien vs. Predator, etc.

Maxwell, I read your most recent post. Any of those ideas would fit in well, but I urge you to not drop the "man out of element" idea. Just stretch your creative juices and find a new way for it to apply (or use one of the ideas above).

Word of caution: It is extremely unlikely that you, as an EARTHCOM agent, would make it very long in Insurgent land. We, meaning I, Insurgent One, Jester and the rest of the Command Staff would quickly put your life to an end.

Spectre does not operate a Starstation amidst humanity's enemies by giving carte blanche access to the Insurgent's own most hated target frown.gif

Good luck with your decision, and don't be surprised if others wish to join in the fun. If you want this to be an exclusive story you need to make that clear in your first post... Hope to read your (and maybe participate) in your story soon.

------------------

Cmdr. Akira

ICV Nevermore

Spectre, Command Staff

Base Commander, The Dojo

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

Guest aramike01

Ron Wallin:

Sorry if it seemed I was trying to "assume" responsibility. All I was really trying to get across was that enjoyed the story as it was, and I didn't (still don't) believe it should be changed.

I may not agree with your ruling, but I'm sure you have legitimate reasoning. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way by challenging your judgement.

On another note...

I have been considering a story of my own and I would appreciate any feedback that you can give as to the plot's viability.

You may or may not be aware that sometime back I decided to become an Insurgent. I want to post a story that would follow Cmdr. Kristophers life from a young age up until the time in which he defects to the Insurgency. Is that do-able?

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 01-15-2000).]