(Back in the Saddle) (For Rattler)

This is for Rattler (Thanks Old Friend), who convinced me to [rp] once again. So here goes.

[rp]

Orion StarStation - Lounge

As usual the mood is low, along with the sound of jazz in the background. The lighting is subdued and the tone suggests relaxation.

In one of the darkened corners of the Lounge sat Commander Darien Wolfe scanning the room with grey/green eyes. A shotglass of synthi-whiskey sat before him on the table. Untouched.

He listened to the band play their melodies and watched the viewports. Still the drink just sat there.

It had been a week since he'd come back from duties at the edge of the Rim, The Blackstar sat nestled safely in her berth. But surrounded by life and surrounded by sound, he seemed somewhat alone and reclusive. A haunted look in his eyes.

His mind drifted to the recent week, the Rim. Routine patrol for Raiders. His Battlecruiser had spent most of the week cloaked, slipping from one patrol point to the next, quietly, like a shark in the sea of space. His only thoughts at the time were to get back to HQ and contact his girl.

She was a Free Trader, plying the dangerous space lanes between the rim-worlds and the colonies. A thousand times he'd told her to take a safer route, but it was always, "Hey you don't own me, and besides it shaves days off my time."

It was that week his ship discovered a floating wreck, sitting, spinning in space. At that point his heart had skipped a beat, and the whole of his vessel seemed to silence.

"Hey you drinking or what?" Said a voice, breaking into his reverie.

Wolfe looked up to see one of the bar staff and nodded, "Yeah, and get me another to go with this one." He slammed the glass back and drained the whole in one, setting it back on the table. "Make it a double."

The barstaff looked at Wolfe and set off in the direction of the bar. Moments later returning with a drink.

The transaction was completed quickly.

Darien tried to concentrate on the room around him, but found his mind drifting back to that scene.

"Do you know what death's like?" he asked the glass somberly.

It sat there, all plastic and booze, as usual it didn't reply.

The big black cradled the ship in his minds eye, small trails of nebulus gas drifted from the wrecked hull of the trader; the lights of the ship, dark, lifeless. He watched it spinning there, caught in the mercy of the void.

The ship was too small to send any kind of away-team over to investigate. He was sure she was dead anyways. He kind of knew it in his gut.

Back in the bar, his hand took the drink and he lifted it with trembling fingers to his mouth, drained half, and set it back down.

As the ship spun in his head, he replayed the vision of the moment, time and time again. Dead eyes staring, cracked face-plate and small rounded drops of blood shining like red stars.

Not even a chance to say goodbye, not even a chance to tell her how much he loved her.

In a moment, the time it took to jump from one place to the next, she was gone. Like so many things in his life, like so many others.

But like an old friend said, you gotta get outta that bed and back into the cockpit.

He drained the glass and nodded, startling someone passing.

"Here's to you buddy!"

[/rp]

------------------

CMDR DARIEN WOLFE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - THE BLACKSTAR

ICQ - 28445950

Savage had been watching Commander Wolfe most of the time he had been in the Lounge that evening. He'd just sat there, staring intently into a glass of whisky, not moving, not even blinking for as long as Savage had watched. Not even when the band had changed from playing gentle jazz tunes to somthing a bit more upbeat, the lighting comming up from a depression enhancing blue to a mix of psychadelic colors, did Commander Wolfe notice.

Savage knew why of course. He'd read the reports, spoken at length with both his Intelligence and Executive Officer about it, he'd even considered getting the stations counselor involved.

However, somthing made him hold back. He didnt think that forcing the man to talk to a counsellor would help resolve things. Some people, some traumas cant be cured by a gentle hand and well meaning gestures.

The problem was, figuring out what would help him, if anything.

Maybe I shouldnt do anything at all, he mused. Maybe I should just let him deal with it in his own way, whatever that is.

Savages flinched when his comlink bleeped. "Savage here."

"Sir, I've pulled up those sensor logs you requested. Shall I have them transfered to your office?"

Savage nodded, then chided himself for forgetting that it was an audio only link. "Sure Reynolds, have it downloaded into my personal database. I'll review them in the morning."

"Yes, sir. Have a good evening Fleet Commander."

With that, Reynolds linked off and the leader of the mighty Orion Fleet was once again left to his thoughts.

Just then, he noticed that Wolfe had drained his whisky glass and didnt seem to be in any hurry to replenish it. This gave him the oppurtunity step on over, break the ice with the offer of a drink. Maybe get the solemn officer to open up a little.

It couldnt hurt.

Quickly, Savage called the attention of a waitress and ordered two whiskys for immediate delivery to Wolfes table. When she had gone, he quietly stood, steadied his pressed uniform and casually drifted over to Wolfes table.

"Mind if I join you?" he said, stopping short of seating himself and awaiting approval from his would be companion.

Wolf seemed surprised, then a little annoyed.

"I come bearing gifts." said the Fleet Commander, gesturing to the approaching waitress who carried a tray with two glasses of neat whisky.

Wolfe exhailed, and politely offered the other seat to his superior. Savage sat, the waitress deposited the two glasses and waltzed away with a wink and a smile.

"Friend of the family." said Savage, grinning. "Remind me to tell you how friendly some time."

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

[This message has been edited by Blades (edited 05-12-2000).]

[rp]

Wolfe watched Savage sit down and politely took the drink. He regarded the other man with a serious gaze. Noting Savage's own scrutiny of him.

"Friend of the Family Sir?" Wolfe asked, for one, he thought, 'What the hell does the Leader of the Orion Fleet want with me?' and two, 'Why the Whiskey?'

"Thanks for the Whiskey though." He offered a slight nod and waited for Blade's reply.

------------------

CMDR DARIEN WOLFE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - THE BLACKSTAR

ICQ - 28445950

ÔÇ£No thanks necessary.ÔÇØ started Savage, going for his glass of whisky. ÔÇ£One of the perks of being Fleet Commander is a limitless supply of free crap you can pick up and walk away with. Only the other day, I mailed a shuttle to my cousin back home.ÔÇØ

Wolfe grinned. ÔÇ£A shuttle, sir? ArenÔÇÖt there regulations against that sort of thing?ÔÇØ

Savage downed his whiskey, gasped at the unexpected smoothness of the liquor and failed to suppress a slight grimace. ÔÇ£Oh yeah, thatÔÇÖs smooth.ÔÇØ

When he composed himself again, he considered WolfeÔÇÖs question. ÔÇ£Regulations? I tend to just flick through the sections of book that IÔÇÖm not particularly interested in. Anything relating to procuring a shuttle, for instance, I tend to browse over.ÔÇØ

Wolfe couldnÔÇÖt help but smile. From what little he knew of the Fleet Commander, it was obvious that the man had a sense of humour uncommon amongst most of GalComs higher ups. He also seemed to have something of a chaotic streak, perhaps even a little eccentric. He didnÔÇÖt know for sure whether to take the shuttle crack as a joke, or whether he was being serious in a round about way.

Whatever the case, it was the first time both men had ever spoken face to face, and it struck Wolfe as strange that the Fleet Commander chose now to spark up a conversation.

ÔÇ£Is there anything I can do for you, sir?ÔÇØ asked Wolfe, a little more bluntly than he had anticipated.

Savage put the glass back down on the table and leaded back all the way in his seat.

ÔÇ£Well, since you want to be all formal, commander, why donÔÇÖt you tell me exactly what happened on your last trip out.ÔÇØ

Wolfe inwardly frowned. He had a feeling it was going to boil down to this.

ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm sure youÔÇÖve read my report, sir.ÔÇØ

Savage nodded. ÔÇ£I did, but I got the feeling that there was something missing.ÔÇØ

Wolfe shook his head. ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs all there, sir. Everything.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£I donÔÇÖt think so.ÔÇØ Said Savage, clicking his fingers together and gesturing the waitress back over to his table. ÔÇ£Oh, and call me Karl, weÔÇÖre not on duty now.ÔÇØ

That made Wolfe nervous. Getting familiar with a superior officer was one thing, but getting familiar with one of the most powerful men in GalCom was another. Still, Savage wasnÔÇÖt youÔÇÖre average, run of the mill Fleet Commander. He came across more like a pauper than a prince. Maybe that was his gift. Maybe thatÔÇÖs why his people respected him. He was down to earth, friendly even. Still, it was unusual.

Sir, if you dont mind, Id rather not talk about it. Its . Personal.

ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm aware of that, commander. I wouldnÔÇÖt be asking otherwise.ÔÇØ

Wolfe frowned. ÔÇ£So, youÔÇÖre asking me because it is personal?ÔÇØ

Savage sighed. ÔÇ£No commander, IÔÇÖm asking you because IÔÇÖm seeing a look in your eyes that frankly, scares the shit outta me. ItÔÇÖs the kind of look that if goes unchecked, makes a man do things that he shouldnÔÇÖt.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£I think youÔÇÖre being a tad melodramatic.ÔÇØ Said Wolfe, not even trying to hide his anger.

ÔÇ£Am I?ÔÇØ replied Savage. ÔÇ£Why donÔÇÖt you ask yourself that question. Really ask it. If you can honestly tell me that you think youÔÇÖre ok about this, then IÔÇÖll leave it right here, not another word.ÔÇØ

For a moment, both officers said nothing. The waitress returned with another round of whiskey, smiled briefly at both men and went on her way. By the time the Fleet Commander had picked up his glass once again, Wolfe had finished contemplating his words.

ÔÇ£Ok,ÔÇØ started Wolfe. ÔÇ£Where do you want me to start?ÔÇØ

Savage took a hefty gulp from his glass, squinted as he swallowed and replaced the beverage back down on a plastic coaster. ÔÇ£The beginning, right from the very beginning.ÔÇØ

*** Hope this isnÔÇÖt over stepping. Over to you Wolfe. ***

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

[OOC] Blades, np, I'd normally get a little ticked at someone else posing speech/actions for my character, but in this case, since it's you. I have no problem with it. Glad you decided to join in.[/OOC]

[rp]

Darien looked at Savage and took the whiskey in his other hand, staring into the depths of the glass. Perhaps searching for some answer.

"Well Sir." He began, watching the other man's face for a moment. "I was involved with someone for around eight years, we were going slow." He paused, "Perhaps too slow."

"She was a Trader, and quite a spirited girl, she used to use a route through the rim, quite a dangerous one. I warned her time after time that one day. One day."

He raised the glass to his lips and sank it back in one.

"She'd bump into more than rocks and gases out there." He paused for a moment.

"I was out on the Rim, cloaked, when we found the ship, and the body sir." He didn't go into detail, the memory was slowly eating away at him, he had to do something to kick himself out of this, but he wasn't sure what.

"And that's really it." He set the glass down. "I don't suppose there's much more to tell."

Wolfe looked at Savage and smiled slightly, "Dad said to me one day, that everyone dies, you just have to live with it." He laughed slightly.

'Yeah, right!' he thought as he waited for an answer, some response from Blades.

[/rp]

------------------

CMDR DARIEN WOLFE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - THE BLACKSTAR

ICQ - 28445950

[This message has been edited by Darien Wolfe (edited 05-15-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...