How would the MK3 fare in battle against other ships

Let's say there was this parallel universe thing going on and the MK3 met with the original Enterprise. How would she fare? How about against Voyager? Or a Klingon Ship? How about against one of those mother ships from Independence Day?

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

ICV Phoenix, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

Fleet Leader - Balor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

The Galactan Class Battlecruiser MkIII would be reduced to cannon fodder in a matter of milli-seconds against any decent ST genre cap ship IMO. There can not be a fair comparison between these two universes IMO.

TTFN

------------------

Rear Admiral Gallion

ICV-Graf Spee, Spectre (Antis)

Executive Officer, Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 03-17-2001).]

I must agree with Gallion. Phaser arrays with multiple firing arcs, capability to launch up to 10 photon torpedoes simultaneously, and weapons range at maximum of over 3.5 million kilometers make a MkIII mincemeat.

------------------

Commander Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

Stealth is the only thing between you, and your enemy's guns.

IMO I think the MK3 (using Interceptors) would beat Voyager. Have you seen the latest episodes? It seems like Voyager gets the snot kicked out of it every episode. On the show it seems like even ships 1/3rd of its size can down its shields with just two hits and then the crew have to make up a strategy to win.

But vs everything else... who knows......

------------------

Commodore lordDavid

ICV Dark Saber, New America (Midae)

Satation Commander, New America

Eversor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

hehehe.....now the MkIII has a fighting chance biggrin.gif

TTFN

------------------

Rear Admiral Gallion

Leader, Team 1

Oh, Ben. Photon torpedoes with only a straight line firing solution? While the BC has certain missiles that only requires a valid lock for a few seconds before they can be fired? I think the MK3 would do pretty good against a ST ship.

Sorry for delay in replies. This thread was mussed for a couple days.

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

Official BC3K Tester

I agree. Especially if the right tactics were used. After all, the battlecruisers do have an effective cloak, and would be hard to detect unless their arrival was already known.

Besides, who would suspect that a clunky, boxy, primitive-looking ship would be a threat?? (Until it was too late anyways...)

In one episode of Voyager the Promethius fired a torpedo that homed in on a Defiant class ship.. (That Promethius is one tough ship!) Also plasma torpedos can home in.. but they take a long time to charge up and slowly lose their energy after traveling.

But in Star Wars, the StormCarrier would be reduced to pieces even by a Corellian corvette or Nebulon frigate... Voyager does not stand a chance against a SW frigate, 10 type 4 (assault) borg cubes would be roasted by a single ISD...

(my 200th post!)

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

[This message has been edited by Epsilon 5 (edited 03-19-2001).]

Granted, MK3 would have no chance against one of those huge things from Star Wars. I agree with that.

Caine! Owwwwwwwww. smile.gif ( I actually like the models, that hurt smile.gif)

Plus Caine, once the PTA begins firing the cloak is effectively cancelled.

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

Official BC3K Tester

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 03-19-2001).]

quote:

10 type 4 (assault) borg cubes would be roasted by a single ISD...

Dream on Epsilon5. Look at the range between SW ISD turboblaster and ST phasers or disruptors. The SSD would be reduced to cosmic dust in seconds against a ST cap ship.

TTFN

------------------

Rear Admiral Gallion

Leader, Team 1

A ST-SW battle? Again? How interesting...

The range of a turbolaser is quite high enough. It often happened than ISD would strike planets with turbolasers (think of the Base-delta-zero order), orbiting at AT LEAST 200km over the ground. add concussion missiles and proton torpedoes to that. Do not forget all the fighters available in the ISD, no borg cube has support ships inside.

SW shields seems to be very weak, as weapons can go through shields to destroy components. ISDs can survive a full strike from a rebel fleet for hours or so, missiles, lasers and turbo-lasers.

Don't rely on the games. Rely yourself on the movies and books, all sources being "canon".

The armor of a ISD in extremely thick, attaining at somes places 1 meter of quadranium steel (like the ventral area)

I dunno about type 4 borg cube armor, but I know that some few mainguns and a bunch of turrets can't compete against a ISD. A frigate might give a good fight (It's barely equipped with turbolaser, about only std lasers), or at most 5 cubes against a VSD.

The SSD is very powerful and much stronger, but remember that it's a command vessel, not an assault.

Lenghts:

Voyager: no more than 300 meters

The entreprise: About 600-700 meters

Nebulon frigate: 600meters (not sure)

ISD: 1 mile (1606 meters)

SSD (executor): about 18km

Eclipse I and II: about 12km

I don't say I don't like ST, but I really think that SW is much more powerful.

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

Startrek Vs Starwars... hmmm

I think a trek ship would win over an ISD. FIrst off, the ships on SW have lasers. Startrek ships used phased energy. In one episode of TNG, a puny ship was threatening the Enterprise with lasers. Piccard was not worried one bit. Second, Startrek ships can fight at warp speed, the SW ships probably couldn't even shoot them at warp.

Also borg shields probably could addapt to the lasers on SW quite easily.....

Just some thoughts....

Again with the laser thing...

LASERS from star wars are NOT lasers as we now. It's an old republican short for PLASMA-LASER, laser-superheated ionised matter.

Borg cubes can protect themselves against phasers because phasers are a particular energy stream with a frequency.

Plasma lasers will hurt as much as a plain explosives. You cannot "adapt" your shields to plasma. Also, plasma from turbo lasers do not have a frequency.

And ISD have THOUSANDS of missiles. I don't think the entreprise have more that a hundred photon torpedoes. 2-3 heavy rockets and the ISD blast the entreprise.

Warp speed battles? Maybe they can't, but ST can't escape, cause SW hyperdrives are MUCH faster than Warp drives (it takes 75 years full speed to voyager to come home, and 3 days for a ISD to cross the entire galaxy)

Also, if it was to be a war, the Empire have thousands of ISD, and millions on smallers vessels and fighters. The Federation merely have a thousand vessels, not half of them being "warships". There is not even fighters, only lightly armed shuttles and small ships called "Defiants"

The Borg would be the only to represent a danger, but it would be temporary.

The only technology that would be a danger is "transporters"

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

I don't remember what TNG episode I'm referring to, but in one, someone in the federation was developing some sort of "phase cloak." Why not just put these on missles, which might decloak and immediately detonate inside an enemy's reactor room? I believe that this was technically in violation of the Second Khitomer Accords (not sure), so that is why the technology wasn't implemented. If facing a threat from a SW ship, I don't see why the federation couldn't just fish this out of their

databanks and stick it onto a guided torpedo.

As for the old light-speed debate, I personally believe that the only way to explain away Mr. Lucas's mistake (not that Star Trek hasn't made its fair share of blunders too) is to say that this mysterious "force" that permeates the SW galaxy accelerates the speed of light (science has currently proved that light can indeed exceed its own speed limit). I've heard a lot trying to explain this away (.5 past light speed isn't 1.5c, is really 5,000 times speed of light, etcetera. Then how fast do ISDs fly? .499999999999999999999999 past light speed? I find this expaination rather amusing), but I'm not sure how SW ships might fair far outside their own galaxy.

BTW, Epsilon, the Enterprise A carried several thousand photon torpedoes, according to ST VI (the sixth ST movie). Therefore, the Enterprise E probably carries at least as many quantum torpedoes.

The borg would be able to adapt to plasma weapons. Perhaps not in the same way they adapt to phasers, but they will adapt. Epsilon, look at photon torpedoes, for example. These didn't scratch the borg cube, yet they themselves are "plain explosives," in your words (well, any futuristic weapon is far from plain, but I'll just leave it at that).

Dreada, phasers appear quite similar to PTA blasts, and are of similar duration.

[This message has been edited by Sunanta (edited 03-20-2001).]

Just watched Starwars cwm1.gif and Han said that the falcon can travel .5 past light speed. Now compare that to warp 9 which is MANY times faster than just lightspeed.

Yes, I believe the borg will adapt to anything.

Also you said the Defiant was a lightly armed shuttle/transport. False, It was made to fight the borg. It is an over powered little ship that bacically can tear itself appart. wink.gif

Ahh, This discussion will probably get us no where. There have been 1000's of poast on SWars VS Trek with no conclusion.... THey are two different stories with different lore. The only whay we probably would know which one would beat each other up is to have George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry ( cwm1.gif ) discuss things one on one.

[This message has been edited by LordDavid (edited 03-21-2001).]

LD is right, we should stop talking about that.

If ever someone want to see more, go to www.stardestroyer.net

Lucas face to face with Roddenberry?

1 - They fight to the death

2 - They have fun togheter

The two oppsites possible situations. There is no middle.

May the force be with you! cwm35.gif

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

[This message has been edited by Epsilon 5 (edited 03-21-2001).]

Star Wars would win.

Just to remind you. The Empire had superweapons capable of decimating planets.

These are some of the superweapons that would wipe out out ST.

Deathstar

Sun Crusher

Eye of Palpatine

SSD

Then there was Thrawn, he would easily kill ST.

------------------

Commander Lockjaw

GCV-Neptune,Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Recruitment Officer Tsunami Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'Here Cometh The Storm'

Lockjaw: You forgot the galaxy gun, and the Eclipse-class super-stardestroyer (light MAX superlaser)

Blades: The genesis device never went beyond prototype and was never seen after the old movies. Anyway, is it really deployable, and how much does it cost in time and money to produce?

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

Answer;

1&2) Not much.

Protomatter is an unstable substance, which is why the Genesis Device never went beyond the prototype stage. But to act as a planet destroying device, Genesis should be able to be cheaply built and used.

Even though SW "super-weapons" like the Death Star can be used to destroy entire planets, ST ships should be perfectly capable of eliminating all life on the surface of the planet. It's only that the Federations ideals and values prevent any such action from taking place. In TOS "Mirror, Mirror" the Enterprise was ordered to destroy the Halkan civilization if they did not comply with the Empire's demands. Which would suggest that any ST ship can pose as much of a threat as a Death Star. Minus TIE fighters, of course. But with their small lasers, even swarming Federations ships, I doubt they would pose a threat.

Suntana;

You're thinking of TNG's The Pegasus. A phased-cloaking device like the one onboard the Pegasus, or any other cloaking device, were banned by the Treaty of Algeron. Violation of the Treaty was considered an act of treason, as shown at the end of the episode.

Since it was illegal, it is reasonable to assume that Federation starships wouldn't carry data on either the construction or function of a phase-cloak because the information would be in violation of a Treaty the Federation signed in good faith.

I also believe that your E-A data is inaccurate. The TNGTM recognizes that the E-D is only equipped with 275 photon torpedo casings. Since the E-D conceiveably 2 times the mass of the E-A, I seriously doubt that the E-A was equipped with more photon torpedoes.

As for the photon torpedoes, the first time the E-D encountered the Borg, in QPid (I think), they were able to blow huge chunks out of the Borg cube, and cause heavy damage. They are matter-antimatter explosives, after all.

Unfortunately for them the Borg were able to regenerate and adapt their capabilites to extremely reduce the effects of the photon torpedo by the next time the Borg encountered the Federation in Best of Both Worlds, Parts I and II.

------------------

Commander Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

Stealth is the only thing between you, and your enemy's guns.

Guest Blackwell

Getlemen,

This is an amusing discussion, since comparing oranges to bananas can only be that... amusing. My two cents, SW would beat ST because the two organizations involved (the empire vs. the federation) are greatly missmached when it comes to resources. Even if for arguments sake ST tech. was more advanced the Empire could win by atrition with it's resource base that is at least 1,000 fold that of the Federation.

Cmdr. Joshua Blackwell

ECV-INSTIGATOR

15th Planetary Defence Force

Omega Battle Group

"Do unto others...FIRST!"

[This message has been edited by Blackwell (edited 03-26-2001).]