Into The Fire Act Four - Deliverence

Blades

[rp]

19 May, 3008

UCV 'LEO'

Bridge

Jo was grinding her teeth as she sat, staring at the readouts of the Vulture. The ship's status went from red to dark yellow, but was in the red again within minutes. As she watched, the other ship continued it's intercept course, and was nearly in teleportation range.

"Time to intercept?" It had been the fifth time she asked.

"Thirty seconds. They can begin teleportation nearly any second now. Unless something bad happens, they stand a good chance of making it out alive."

"Any news from the Graph Spee?"

"No, they're still cloaked. We haven't gotten so much as tail-smoke from them."

[/rp]

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mikel

[rp]

Space

What a fine mess I've gotten myself into this time! Nimitz carefully guides himself away from the SS vulture

Great...where am I supposed to go?

Carefully jetting away from the Vulture, he sees only sees the vaccum of space

Great. Where to go now?

[/rp]

[edit: Changed in compliance to Blade's post]

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: Mikel ]

Ok Akuma, what is going on here?

In no way, shape or form would the Tenchi be anywhere near the Vulture. Remember, this is a covert operation. That means that nobody outside of those already involved (And by that, I mean NPC's specifically - Kirin for one) would know of the Vultures whereabouts, who it had on board or their current precarious situation. If you're confused by this, I suggest you read back to part one and familiarise yourself with whats going on.

Edit or delete the post.

If anybody has posted or is planning to post anything which relates the the Tenchi's sudden appearence, edit or delete.

The only ships in the vicinity are the cloaked McKendrick and the in distress Vulture. The Graf Spee and Leo are lagging behind somwhere. There are NO other ships around to complicate things further.

[RP]

17:43 hrs, 19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Bridge

"Time to intercept?"

Ailsa glazed her eyes over her nav terminal and repeated what the digital readout told her to the McKendricks commander.

"45 seconds till maximum safe transporter range. Cloak control routed to my terminal. I'll drop the cloak to coincide with the trans-"

"Negative!" bellowed Neena Polovoski. "Maintain the cloak. Do NOT disengage."

Ailsa turned in her chair and looked at her commander. "Sir, if we dont drop our cloak we're not going to be able to start beaming them at this range."

Neena folded her arms. "I know that, Leutenant Commander. Our orders are to maintain our cloak until we are back in established patrol regions."

Ailsa stood from her chair. "Sir, if we dont start pulling them off the second we get in range, we're going to lose them."

"Our orders we're t-"

Ailsa seemed to snap. "Sir! Our orders we're to rendevous with the Vulture and sit on top of them while we pull them off a few at a time. That operation would have taken minutes, not seconds to do so."

"We're going to make one pass of them and pull them out at point blank range."

Ailsa shook her head. "It cant be done, sir. We'd never get them all."

Neena frowned. "Maybe. Take your station."

Ailsa hurredly resumed her position at the navigation terminal. "Recomputing our approach .... at point blank range, we will overshoot the Vulture in 50 seconds .... mark."

Neena resumed her position at the commanders chair and flipped an internal comms switch. "Engineering, are we ready?"

Ailsa tilted her head a touch to listen into Neenas conversation with Chief Engineer Donaldson.

"Chief here, sir. Yes sir. We're boosting power emiters and widening the confinement beam."

Neena did a mental leap in the air. "Excellent, chief. Can you boost the beam to encompass a wider area?"

The chief was silent for a moment. "Ah, it's possible commander, but I wouldnt recomend it. If we push it any more than we've already done, we risk blowing the emmiter and losing transporter capability altogether. If that happens, well, their all dead."

Neena didnt want to hear that.

"I dont want if's and but's, chief. Can you do it?"

Again, the chief engineer was silent.

"Chief, we've got one shot at this and that oppurtunity expires in about 30 seconds."

More silence.

"Chief?!?"

Angrily, the chief of engineering spat back. "I can either talk or work, whats you're pleasure, boss?"

Neena grinned and snapped off the internal comms.

"Time Mister Strang?" said Neena.

Ailsa, without looking back read out the numbers on the display again. "26 seconds and counting ...... 25 ...... 24 ...... 23 ......"

"Sir!"

It was Crane, the Tacops officer. "Vulture just lost structual integrity on deck one. She's holed, sir!"

No! thought Neena. Not now, not when we're this close.

"Damage? How bad is it?"

" ..... 21 ...... 20 ......"

"It's bad. Deck one is gone. Anyone on the bridge or surrounding compartments has just become pate."

"Rest of the ship?"

"Deck three is about to buckle. Too much interference to determine life signs. Deck two's SIF is weaker than a newborn ..... SIF field collapsing on three ... internal explosions!"

On the viewscreen, a significant portion of the lower deck of the Vulture opened itself to space. The magnified image on the viewscreen made out a brutalised body being further violated by shrapnel from the ships torn deck plating.

Neena glanced at Ailsa and found her pulling back in horror at the image on screen.

Need you to focus now, Ailsa. No time to get squeamish.

As if reading her mind, Ailsa pulled away from the image on the viewscreen and returned to counting down.

"...... 9 ...... 8 ...... 7 seconds ....."

"Engineering!" belowed Neena. "We need that transported, NOW!"

"...... 4 ...... 3 ...... 2 ......"

From a small viewport within a cramped cargo pod, both Savage and the Insurgent Commander Wold watched space engulf them as the rear portion of cargo bay one blew out.

Somehow their small cargo pod bounced between the debris and razor like shrapnel and found saftey in the spinning void, clear of the dieing Vulture and held in captive awe as the remainder of the ship tore itself apart.

Savage didnt have the words to describe what he was feeling. From somwhere deep inside of him, his heart stopped beating and the cold dread of fear and sorrow sweapt over him like a smothering blanket. He sat there and watched people he knew, people he even cared about die in the cruelest environment known to man. The grief that began to well up in him was not just for those aboard he called friend - he grieved for those he called foe.

Greg, Foss, Akuma - friends and comrades. Gone in an instant. Snuffed out. And for what? A chance to save a despised enemy? A man who had sent people he had know to their deaths. A criminal, a man more than most who deserved the punishment being forced on him by his Earthcom captors.

Wold said nothing. He just sat there, as quiet as Savage and looked down at his feet.

Some minutes passed before either of them spoke. When they did, it was just to remind eachother that in a little under fifteen minutes time, their oxygen would run out, and they too would die in the cold wastes of space.

"Was there a reason why you didnt bother to pick up a couple of replacement oxypacks when you threw us in here?" asked Savage.

Wold blinked. "You think I had time to consider that while dragging your fat ass in here?"

"It would have been prudent." offered Savage.

"Prudent?"

Savage nodded. "A good idea."

"I know what prudent means!" shoted Wold.

Savage grinned, and didnt bother to hide it from his Insurgent room mate.

Well, if it's time for me to die, at least I get to go out with one last quip.

Somehow, Savage found peace in that thought.

Unfortunately for him, reality kicked in again, and just as he was getting used to the idea of going out smiling, a weird tingling sensation pulsed through his body, and before he could react - found himself amongst dead comrades.

He stood, pulled the vacc shits helmet from his head and glanced around the familiar surroundings of a Battlecruiser Mk II's primary cargobay.

"Commander on deck!" shouted an ensign from somwhere behind him.

Savage turned, offering a slightly beamused glance at Wold as he did so and faced the voice.

Ahead of him stodd a young ensign, six extreemly well armed GalCom crewmen and the one and only, Commander Neena Polovoski.

"Glad you could join us, Karl." said Neena with a smile.

"Glad to be joined." replied Savage. "Any chance you're boys could drop the firepower? I think you'll find we're all on friendly terms these days."

Neena cocked her head at him, as if asking if he was serious. The returned smile from Savage gave her the impression he was.

Nodding from side to side, the crewmen lowered their weapons and a hurried mass of medics came from knowhere behind them and began attending to the Vultures wounded.

Savage held back for only a few moments before moving towards her, and without hesitation embraced her tightly and kissed her deep. They parted only after a long moment, and looking into eachothers eyes, Neena once more broke the silence.

"Welcome aboard, sir."

Behind them at the back of the pack, Akuma Minako turned away from what she saw and drew in a deep, heartfelt breath.

Good thing I refreshed this page before I posted

[rp]

19th May, 3008

GCV Graf Spee

“Status?” Rico asked.

“Cloaking system deactivated;

stealth mode activated; range to target 75km,” came the replies from the bridge crew, “Leo is maintaining their position 250000km from target and have matched course and speed.”

Well ain’t that a bloody miracle, for once the Mercs kept their word without signing a contract, Rico thought, I loves this gunboat diplomacy.

“Region is clear except for us, the Leo, and our target,” Tacops reported, “wait ... a cargo pod, with two humanoids, one EVA has emanated from the target.

TCO Ship Status Display data for the Graf Spee’s was deteriorating rapidly. Rico mentally gave their target 3-4 minutes before going critical as he once again verified their distance from the Vulture. We should be ok this far out, he thought. What Rico rally wanted to do was drop the stealth, go active, and save as many personnel aboard the Vulture as possible. But orders were orders and his were to sit, wait, and be prepared to react to the unexpected -which he had done twice already.

“There are multiple something’s are out there Rico,” LeFevre said from her station in the SES located in CB1, “one solid track on a small cloaked vessel trailing the target. Another closing at a brisk pace, I cannot get anything more unless we deploy the TA...”

Deploy the Towed Array ... not now ... takes to long ... though the additional capabilities the TA gives ...

“TA deployment is not an option LeFevre,” Rico made his decision, “do your best with our current posture and keep me posted to any changes.”

“Aye sir,” LeFevre said with a scorn, “Research out!”

Rico ignored the tone in the Graf Spee’s Research Engineer reply and began to drum his fingers on one of the arms of his command perch.

Times a wasting fools ... what’s next to pop out of Pandora’s Box, Rico thought as he drummed his fingers, ... hope?

19th May, 3008

Modified LRT-15 Transport S.S Vulture

“NO, NO, you id ... Commander!” Gallion heard as York barked at him as he was getting into the Combat Vac Suit York had given him, “Left over Right damn it! How many times do I have to tell you? You keep going right over left and you wont last a minute when we tread vacuum ... ”

York’s tirade was lost as Gallion snapped the helmet of his suit in place. Then he did make the corrections to his suit that York had chewed him out for. He had lost track of Caine somewhere, sometime in the last hectic minutes.

Wonder where savage is off to? ... and where the hell he get all this bloody equipment Gallion thought as he surveyed the gathering place located in the aft portion of deck 2.

TONK!

The echo of York’s smack against his helmet to gain his attention interrupted any further thoughts Gallion may have had. After several seconds watching York’s futile attempt at being a mime, he finally figured out what York was trying to get him to do and activated the suit’s COMM system ...

“You need to pull your head out of your arse Sir,” came over the COMM system. “we don’t have the luxury of a BC so pay attention!”

Gallion was taken aback at being addressed in such a manner from the old Marine Gunnery Sergeant.

“Ok Gunney,” Gallion said to York with his trade marked sly and malicious sneer/grin, “what do we do now?”

This shocked York some, he was not expecting Gallion to acquiesce so easily. Then he noticed the grin on Gallion’s mug through the helmet’s face place – he knew full well what usually followed when that appeared. He decided to change his approach tactics.

“Well Sir,” York said assuming the role of a Gunney telling his commander that he is an arse without actually saying it, “this is how I see it ... ”

Gallion’s sneer/grin became more malicious as he listened to York’s take on things and his plan and then his world changed once again. He saw the tell-tale shimmering effect on him and York. Which indicated transporter activation.

19th May, 3008

GCV Graf Spee

Rico’s drumming fingers came to a halt as the LeFevre’s scorning voice piped in over the comm system.

“Cargo Pod empty, suspect transport of contents from unknown origin,” LeFevre began, “Still getting fluctuating readings consistent with a cloaking field, range approximately 150000km from target. Getting power and energy spikes from the target too ...”

Rico quickly zoomed in on the Vulture in the tactical view and caught the beginning of its deconstruction process – a.k.a. explosion and destruction.

“Can you give me a plot to the unknown LeFevre?” Rico demanded from the RE, “at least point us in the general direction damn it!”

“Wait one ...,” was her scornful reply.

The seconds tick by tic ... tic ... tic... tic... tic... tic... and Rico’s patience reached its breaking point. He could not continue his primary mission, so he now had to implement plan Z and his own intuition. He decided to leave the Leo where she was. The merc Megaron was more than capable of handling herself.

“Ok, I have a very weak track on the unknown Rico,” LeFevre reported, “plot transferred to navigation. The rest is up to you Commander!”

LeFevre’s last sentence was almost like a slap in Rico’s face. He still did not trust LeFevre, though he knew she and Gallion had had a long history, one that he only heard about recently.

“NAV, set a course to the unknown,” he ordered, “maintain current speed and distance. Be prepared to activate cloak on my mark!”

Rico sat back in his command perch and waited for the fates to finish spinning his web as the Graf Spee changed course towards the unknown contact.

Did he do right? Only time will tell.

[/rp]

TTFN

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Akuma sorry...Akuma got confused.....Forgive Akuma?

[rp]

The tingling sensation lasted for only a moment...She had been afraid that her and the rest of the crew would have been killed but to her surprise she was on a strange ship with a strange commander and definetly someone who knew what was going on...She assumed this woman was commander Neena Polovoski.

When Blades came in she let out a breath of relief. Thank god. she thought and gave him a loving smile. Blades on the other hand apparantly did not see it as his gaze was fixed on the commander.

"Glad you could join us, Karl." Neena said with a smile Akuma found to be intoxicatingly sweet.

"Glad to be joined." replied Savage. "Any chance you're boys could drop the firepower? I think you'll find we're all on friendly terms these days."

Neena seemed confused well duh! She wasn't even involved in this whole escapade so why should she understand! Akuma tried to hide her growing dislike for the woman.

The crewmen lowered their weapons at Neena's indication and Akuma took a moment to admire the cleanliness of the ship. Too clean if you ask me

And then the unspeakable happened...

Akuma, watched in dumbfounded horror as Blades kissed this very persistant woman with the passion of long term lovers. Her eyes glazed and she turned away quickly. "No Karl...No..." She muttered.

Looking around and seeing that all of the possible escape routes were blocked she covered her face with her hands let out a heartfelt sigh and sobbed in silence till the pain wrenching heartbreak eased enough for her to turn back.

"I don't feel well." She managed to say. "Could someone show me to a place I can r..Rest?" Her eyes specifically avoided Blades and Neena. If I look at them again I'll die...I know it.

[/rp]

Akuma Vewwwy sowwy again! Meef...Forgive the akuma! Pwese? Meow?

[RP]

19 May, 3008

Modified LRT-15 Transport SSVulture

Engine Room

Inside his suit, Benjamin Somerset heard only silence. The frantic commands he constantly forced through the computers to keep the ship together were failing. It wouldn't be long now until the ship disentigrated into nothingness.

The silence was broken by the now incessent computer chime. "SIF failure in progress. Estimate SIF failure in 2 minutes."

Benjamin Somerset began silently praying as he tried to keep the inevitable from occuring. The commands flowed from his fingers and memory just as his prayers did.

"...and though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil..."

In his younger days, Somerset had been a fairly devout Second Reformation Roman Catholic. Point of fact, a great portion of his country was. But as the years passed, and the death tolls grew, Somerset began to lose his faith.

The last few months had seen a lot of death, and the slight remerging faith he though he had lost.

But computers had no time, and no care for prayers. "SIF failure in progress. Estimate failure in 1 minute, 30 seconds."

"Dammit. There's no way to stop this," he said with a defeated tone. "Computer, sound Condition 1AS."

"Acknowledged," the computer carelessly replied.

Then the voice came over his comm, and presumably, over every other suit comm and compartment that wasn't open to space.

"Condition 1AS, Condition 1AS. All hands abandon ship, repeat all hands abandon ship. This is not a drill. Condition 1AS, Condition 1AS. All hands, abandon ship."

Benjamin Somerset, however, did not comply. The MSM was reporting near complete collapse on Deck 1, and he wasn't sure if Savage was off the bridge yet. "Computer, scan lifesigns on Deck 1."

"Unable to comply. Deck 1 internal sensors are offline."

"Damn. Well, if I reroute aux power from distribution link 3, and reshunt it into," he said to himself as he formulated his thoughts into action.

"SIF failure in progress. Estimate SIF failure in 45 seconds."

"Come on...hold together just a little longer...hold together," he said, commands becoming frantic as he rushed to save an unsaveable ship.

"SIF failure in progress. Structural collapse on Deck 1 in 15 seconds."

"I hope there's no one there," Somerset idly. If there was, it was too late for them. As it would soon be for them all. The speed of his hands became near blinding as he sought to keep the rest of the ship together. But without integrity on Deck 1, and the rest of the field coming down it was unlikely.

"Structural collapse on Deck 1 in 9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1. SIF failure on Deck 1. Warning. Deck 1 emergency atmospheric contaiment failure. Deck 1 open to space."

"Well, there goes Savage. He deserved better," Somerset thought. "Suppose it doesn't matter though. Because the rest of us won't be far behind.

"SIF failure in progress. Deck 3 structural collapse in 12 seconds."

"Deck 3! I'm on Deck 3! Bloody hell!" Somerset yelled as he rushed up a connecting ladder to Deck 2.

"Collapse in 10...9...8...7...6..."

"Computer, seal the access hatch to Deck 3!"

"Acknowledged. Hatch sealing," the computer intoned.

It almost made it shut before a sudden blast came through the slightly open hatch. "Deck 3 is open to space," the computer said as if it had not a care in the world. The hatch silently sealed, and the rush of air stopped.

"SIF failure on Deck 2 in 10 seconds," the computer said as it began its countdown.

"I'm done for."

And even if he did believe it, Somerset ran for his only chance at survival. An escape pod. He ran into the still open corridor, not noticing all of the blown out panels and wreckage strewn across the deckplates. Shoving himself through the open hatch, he said "Computer, seal the pod hatch. Eject in 3 seconds."

"Hatch sealing," the computer intoned as the doors began to slide shut. "SIF failure in 5...4...3...launching escape pod."

As the pod started to slide out of its hatch Benjamin Somerset began to feel an odd sensation. Almost like cool bugs crawling all over his skin, even though he was still in a suit. Then his vision began to distort, and the pod he had been in began to fade from view. At that moment, he realized what was occuring.

"Transporter. I hate transporters," he thought.

Transporters were supposed to be the "wave of the future". In that event, Somerset felt he must be an anachronism. He had come from a time when there was no such thing as a transporter, and you had to perform ship to ship travel in a shuttle. If he had his way, Somerset would still much rather shuttle somewhere than use a God-forsaken transporter.

In this case, however, he was willing to make an exception.

As the sensations began to disappear, and his senses returned to normal, Somerset noticed that he was in a cargo bay. Very similar to the one aboard his own ship. That meant whatever ship this was, she was a Galactan-class Battlecruiser. "Thank God, I made it off that ship of doom, and returned to the real world!" he shouted out in his own mind.

That was when he turned his head, and looked at Savage, who appeared to be alive as ever. He also was still looking at him when he took someone in a Commander's uniform in his arms, and kissed her deeply.

His first thought was to go punch the man. It had been ages since he and his wife had been together, and Somerset despised public displays of affection.

Unless they were his own.

Then his eyes flicked up to an insignia on the cargo bay doors. The insignia of Orion Fleet. "If this ship was in Orion Fleet, and this woman who Savage is kissing is her Commmander," he thought, "someone has just made a rather severe violation of the regulations."

In particular, the regulation that not only discouraged, but forbid romantic relationships between officers in the same chain of command.

Officers like Savage and the woman.

However, he was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. A grin began to form on his face at the thought. He personally had violated those same regulations when he became involved with his wife. They were in the same chain of command, and he deliberately told the regulations to piss off.

The grin grew as the thought came unbidden. "If I can tell the regs to piss off, why can't a Fleet Commander?"

From behind the still suited Somerset, there was an audible gasp. Audible to anyone not wearing a suit.

So from slightly ahead of Minako, Somerset smiled glibly at the sight before him, and wished Savage good fortune in his endeavour.

If he survived to pursue it.

[/RP]

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Ben Somerset ]

[RP]

19th May, 3008

Modified Shuttle Craft from UCV-Susceptor

"Where are they?!" Lt. Commander Jake Burke shouted at the computer angrily, pounding his fist on the console.

A small countdown in the upper right hand corner of the screen was estimating 30 seconds before the ship collapsed.

As if responding to his angry yell the computer indicated that he was receiving a hail from the Vulture. He quickly read over the message:

Zeke is in a crowded room, can't get to him. Can get a hook up through the transporters. Awaiting orders.

Jake began to type up a responce message when he noticed a strange power spike on his scanners. He temporarily switched to active radar and got a very dim readout of something out there, a cloaked ship possibly. He also spotted a silent runner simingly heading towards the unknown. The Fleet Commander may have organized a rescue operation.

Jake sent the following reply message as he watched the timer pass the 15 second mark.

19th May, 3008

Modified LRT-15 Transport SS Vulture

Transporter Room

Jet wasn't too sure if he was happy about his orders or not but he followed them. The reply message was clear and simple:

Abandon Ship!

"Condit . . . AS. All ha . . . abandon sh . . . rep . . . ndon ship. Th . . . is not . . . ill. . . .S. All han . . . , abandon . . ."

Jet listened to the repeating staticed message from the computer, he got the gist of it. He was silently counting down the death of his friend in his own head. Thompson was still trying to restrain himself from going to try and save his friend, even though he knew he would never make it in time. 5, 4, 3 . . . Jet finished the final touches on the transporter hook up and stepped in.

He always wanted to know what the transporter effect felt like, unfortunately his android body wasn't that sophisticated. When his vision became clear again the first thing he noticed was the lack of Mr. Burke.

On the other side of the room he spotted Zeke through the mess of people. His Commander was pointing his wrist laser at the wall for some odd reason. Jet spotted an exit beside him and slipped out, tossing the marine guarding it on the other side into a nearby wall. He ran down the corridor and disappeared into a turbolift.

19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Cargo Bay

The familar tingling sensation from the transporter ceased and Zeke jumped to his feet. Biting his lip to stop himself from crying out as he landed on his bad leg the Merc then proceeded raise his wrist laser and point it about frantically.

He was panicking, not knowing who or what was around him or even where he was now. After failing to point everywhere at once he focused on one spot, hoping he was threatening someone.

"Glad you could join us, Karl." a voice behind him stated and he turned towards it.

"Glad to be joined." another voice responded, "Any chance you're boys could drop the firepower? I think you'll find we're all on friendly terms these days."

Firepower! Uh-oh, wait he ordered them to lower them, must not of saw me yet. Maybe no one did Zeke slowly backed away from the voices until he ran into someone. He froze.

[/RP]

If no one wants me bumping into them I will use a NPC. I didn't figure a blind merc was going to get far on a Galcom Battlecruiser

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Commander Zeke Stone ]

Sorry Foss, well I had to add this stuff in (didn't want you to die and all ), Blades said that we wouldn't wait for you, and it seems like they weren't waiting for anyone. I just got back from vacation and almost found my character dead. Well, check it and e-mail me if you still want to post anything and if anything conflicts with what you have.

Damn, I screwed up. Well, MY POST ABOVE has been deleted; it has been edited (and re-posted as a quote below) to match the situation (transporting away from ship and evacuating). Lets assume my character has been transported too, along with poeple in medibay. Email me if something is wrong with my post. Oh yeah, Foss, and anyone else that was crippled or helping medibay while the SIF collapsed, then you're with us (again, i'll fix it if i'm assuming too much).

(RP)

(Modified Earlier Post; original has been deleted by me)

quote:

(Time: Before SIF Failure) 19 May, 3008

Modified LRT-15 Transport SS Vulture

Nova's Quarters

Klaxons began to blare as Nova was asleep in his quarters.

Crap, what is it now....

"SIF Failure on All Decks!"

"Deck 1 Hull Failure!"

"Deck 2 Breach Detected!"

"Deck 3 Integrity Failure: 2 Minutes!"

What the hell? Great. I fall asleep for a bit and then something else comes along. S!@$, 18:10; I was supposed to be back to my post at 17:15. I wonder what kind of reprimand I'll get. That is, if I live long enough to get one. Heh, what a day.

Nova suited up and was ready to go. He hit his commlink and contacted the bridge.

"Condit . . . AS. All ha . . . abandon sh . . . rep . . . ndon ship. Th . . . is not . . . ill. . . .S. All han . . . , abandon . . ."

What the hell??? Better check on Foss and the Medibay--I've got a few commrades still alive there--I have a seriously bad feeling about this. I hope I'm still gettin' paid.

Medibay was probably the only room with oxygen and pressure, as it was the only room with a supply of it's own, and was located on the interior of the ship, instead of closer to the hull.

"30 seconds until deck 3 total failure! 26, 25, 24, 23, 22,"

As the computer system intercomm counted down to absolute death, Foss was on the Commlink, trying to get someone to realize there were still people in Medibay.

"This is Medibay! We have 6 people in here; repeat, 6 personnel! Hello, anyone read?"

"F---, ..(static).., -ransporters ..(static)... Contact w---

oth-- sh-p ...(static)... O--r."

Wonders never cease. The entire mission has been screwed, in my opinion. I just hope we can continue at half strength with whatever we have left.

"So was that a good thing, or a bad thing?"

Foss just stood there, thinking.

"Okay, I shouldn't have asked. I heard there were like 1 or 2 ships with us, but I hope I heard right.... They said something about transporters; could they be helping us?"

"........ This better be good. Damn........."

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6,"

"Well, now we find out."

Don't really want to meet my maker yet....

"Four"

Suddenly a strange feeling caught Foss and Nova, as they started to panic.

"Thrrrrrrrreeeeeeee..........."

A hole appeared out in the corridor, and the door was getting sucked open by the vacuum of space. Explosions began to flare in the room, and then everything turned pale white....

-------

A bright light blinded Nova, and he froze, as the strange sensation took over his body in an instant.

Dead. Yee haw. Wow, that wasn't so bad. Hmm.. Am I in heaven?

Seconds later, he awoke, to find that he was still alive. He was standing on a deck of another Galcom ship. He could tell by the coloring and the markings on the empty cargo pods laying around.

19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Cargo Bay

"Whoa, that was one hell of a rush. I've never been transported before. Can we do it again?"

Commander Neena Polovoski, of the McKendrick was standing in front of the group, speaking to Commander Blades. They kissed and embraced for a few seconds, while Akuma turned away.

Heh, poor Akuma. Blades knows she likes him. The bastard. At least I wouldn't go playing around while someone who liked me was watching.

Alive... Nova thought to himself. Foss obviously has been through transporters before, and was already checking on the rest of the injured who were actually saved.

Wow. We used all this time to save those people, and now most of them died anyway. Whoa, I don't feel so good now.

Nova ran off to a trash processor and started puking.

Damn transporters. Ugghh.....

He left for the McKendrick's Medibay for something, while Cmdr. Polovoski, and Cmdr. Blades spoke more of what to do with the rest of the mission.

(/RP)

Once again, remember that this is only my 6th RPG post, and I'm a newbie (check my registration date below). Come on people, tell me how I'm doing and e-mail me if something screws with anyone elses write-ps.

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

My bad.

I forgot to tell you that it's the McKendrick, not the Leo, that has transported the troops over to it.

Hey, what rooms are on Deck 4? Those people should be alive for a minute or less. But you know, no one can save you now; you can still get into a space suit if there are any and jump, if that can be arranged.....

Looks like I fell a little behind here. I'd better get caught up

[rp]

SS Vulture

Cargo bay

"Caine! Get your but over here!"

*That's my cmo, always willing or order her commander around.* He thought as he moved closer to her.

Shudders were running all across the ship, accompanied by the groans of straining steel.

Caine noticed foss staring at him, a look of surprise mixed with just a little anger. He looked familiar to Caine, but he didn't recognise him.

*Must be my reputation.* He bent down and prepared to lend a hand, when an explosion elsewhere on the ship shook the deckplates, sending him to the ground, smacking his already sore head against a large container. Before he could even stand again, a second explosion rocked the ship from below, sending the container toppling over, nearly crushing him under it.

Strangely, Caine felt rather calm facing his final moments, and found his thoughts turning to his wife as he waited for the bay to tear open, and suck him into space.

He looked to the side, just in time to see a few engineers stumble into the cargo bay. Then he began to feel strange, like his skin was going numb.

*Good ol' Jo, I knew she'd come through somehow.* The world faded out of view, just as a door was ripped out of it's frame, exposing the bay to the harsh silence of space, and death.

When it faded in again, Caine slowly stood, rubbing the back of his head. He heard someone speaking, but ignored what was said, concentrating on staying vertical.

He knew right away he wasn't back on the 'Leo', and sighed inwardly at still being stuck with this damn fool of a mission, whatever it is. Then a body ran into his, nearly knocking him off his feet again.

"Hey, watch where you're goin would ya? Where's the fire?" He turned to see another merc, a wrist-laser at his side. Caine didn't recognise him. "You blind or somethig?"

UCV LEO

Bridge

"The distortion just gave off a spike, Jo" Huber reported, snapping the vesperon out of her brooding.

"Details would help." She was getting impatient with the whole situation.

"There aren't any to give. The distortion passed within 100 yards of the Vulture, there was an energy spike, and-"

The report was cut off as an alarm sounded on the officer's consol. "The Vulture is tearing itself apart, I wouldn't give it long before a breach makes the whole sucker blow."

"Safe distance?" Jo asked, as she said a silent prayer that Caine wasn't on board.

"We're fine here, our shields could absorb the shockwave without any trouble. But the disturbance is moving away."

*Dammit Caine, what the hell is happening?*

Moments later, Huber interrrupted her thoughts again.

"Dammit Huber, what now?"

"Another disturbance has come up from behind us, and it's moving to follow contestant 'A'."

"Could it be the Graf Spee?"

"Dunno, though it's likely judging from where it came from."

"Well, I guess either way we follow too."

Jo just hoped that her hunch was correct. The last thing she wanted to do was to leave Caine behind.

[/rp]

[RP]

19 May, 3008

GCV McKendrick

Somerset could tell a great deal of activity was going on around him. He couldn't hear any of it however, and had started to wonder why. It was then he noticed that the helmet displays were still functioning. Which meant that to hear any of it, the helmet would have to come off.

Besides, he was safe on a GalCom vessel. What could possibly be going wrong aboard one of their own warships?

With that thought in his mind, he popped the seals on his helmet, and removed it. It was about then that he took note of an odd sound coming from behind him. Like the gasping breaths of someone with a serious chest wound, only not quite. He wondered if he should call over a medic as he turned around.

What he saw before him was disgusting.

The person who stood before him was an abberition of an officer. She stood before him in a GalCom uniform, and was having an emotional breakdown right in front of him. It was one thing to shed tears of joy at surviving, but Ben Somerset had always been of the opinion that tears of sorrow should always be shed at the appropriate place at the appropriate time. That time was not when the ship could become engaged in combat at any time. And from what he could tell, these were tears of sorrow.

Over what, he wasn't quite sure. He vaguely recognized the woman, and was fairly certain she had brought none of her own people with her. That was when it hit him.

"She's the "Uncle Rattler" kid. I wonder if her good "Uncle" is around here..." he thought as he look around. The Man with the Mirrored Glasses was indeed present. He was behind her, where she could not see him. But thinking about "Uncle Rattler" reminded him of her...pleading incident as well. Savage was invovled in that...and now Savage was...

"Bloody hell. It never gets any better, or any easier does it? I just wish that someone would write a better CO's manual. At least it could tell me whether tearing her a new one would be more effective or not.

Unfortunately, there was no manual. And this kid was still here bawling, contrary to anything she should have ever learned as an officer. Officers do not cry. At least, they do not in front of their subordinates. The crew knew the CO was as scared as they were, a CO would be crazy if they weren't. But if a CO started panicing, the whole crew would, and bad things would happen.

He'd seen it before when he was still in EarthCom. The Commander had lost it in the middle of a fight, and the bridge had just fallen apart. It had taken the XO ramming orders down everyone's throat just to save the ship. Ben Somerset never forgot it, for that reason.

It wouldn't do any good to have this kid in a Commander's uniform crying on someone else's ship. Especially when it was conduct detrimental to proper military order and discipline. Benjamin Somerset usually tried to be nice.

In this circumstance, he however thought that would not be the proper course of action. Some steel would neccessary. She had appeared to be near breakdown more than once on this damn trip already. And the last thing he wanted was a Commander who couldn't hack it. With a war on, they needed every single CO they could get.

Ones who didn't break down when a writing stylus fell wrong.

"I don't feel well." She managed to say. "Could someone show me to a place I can r..Rest?"

Somerset noted that she avoided looking at Savage and the woman. The tears streaking down her cheeks were obvious, and her body language screamed "Get me out of here!" After long enough in command, one began to see as much what was said...as wasn't. And it was time to do with the what was said part.

"You can rest after you straighten yourself up and act like a Commander in the service," he said, steel in his voice. Yet, he had not raised his voice one bit. It was as gentle as a pillow, but still sharp as a blade. "They did not give you a commission at the Academy to see you break down the first time you see something you don't like. You might as well get used to it, since it's going to happen the rest of your career."

His eyes seemed to wince slightly as he continued, "It's happened to me more times than I care to count. When my Commander was killed in battle with the Insurgents, I almost lost it," he said quietly. "But I put that behind me, and did what had to be done. Not because it was what I wanted, but because it was neccessary. People die, and bad things happen in war, dear lady," he continued, voice softening. "Things that none of us want. I didn't want Angelique to die. You didn't want what has happened either. But that isn't the point."

The steel came back in into the voice. "The point is that you are an example to the men. What example do you set when you sit and cry like that? The men see you as a weak, indecisive officer. And when you get into combat, that gets people killed. Your men will die because of your incompetence, Commander! Because you let everything get to you. If that happens, Commander, I will personally recommend to Fleet Commander Savage that you be relieved of duty, pending psychological evaluation."

"Get yourself to the galley, and have a few drinks," he said, voice softening again. "Then pick up the pieces, and move on. There's nothing else you can do about it. I suppose that's one thing you learn with age. Too many things are beyond your control. The way you deal with things isn't. Get your act together. You owe it to yourself, and to your men."

Almost before he pointed out to her the way to the galley he said, "Aw...bugger it. I could use a medicinal dose myself. Thank God that they haven't banned alcohol onboard ship. I'll join you. I think we've both earned a tot, in our own ways. You with yours, and me with holding that bucket together far longer than either of us expected. Me, or her. I'll drink to her, though. For a piece of junk, she was a fine ship. Let's get to the galley," he said, motioning the young lady to follow him.

He began to head for the galley, not really taking note if she followed or not. Someone had needed to remind her of her obligations as an officer. He only hoped she listened.

The only thing a sobbing officer was capable of was getting good warriors dead. And good warriors deserved good officers. Not second-rate hacks. Which until she changed her ways, was exactly what this officer would be. A kid in a uniform, who didn't deserve a command chair anymore than he would have at her age.

"Damn ACTP," he thought. "These damn 25 year olds getting ships."

Then the worst thought came unbidden.

"I feel ancient around these kids."

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Ben Somerset ]

[RP]

17:59 hrs, 19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Cargobay One

Neena removed herself from Savage’s grip when the relief that he was alive and well was fully realised. It was one thing to display relief at having ones lover delivered unharmed amidst fire and destruction, but another to do so within the presence of a dozen or more command officers.

She stepped back and allowed Savage a moment to compose himself before continuing.

“Looks like you picked up a few strays on the way.”

Savage looked back over his shoulder at Caine and his engineers, keeping to themselves away from the main gathering of Galcom and Insurgent officers.

“We had a few unforeseen problems, Gammulan attacks and nosey civvies included. Nothing we couldn’t handle.”

Neena raised an eyebrow at him.

“Nice that you could get here on time all the same. It was touch and go there for a while.”

Neena stepped round him and looked over the gathered officers. “What were you doing in a cargo pod?”

Savage turned and shrugged. “Not sure to be honest. I was on the bridge as deck one started to buckle. I went for the turbo lift and ran straight into the door. There was an explosion, I got a parting in the middle of my hair where the door skimmed over and then that bunny over threw me over his shoulder. Next thing I knew, we were pulling on vacc suits and diving into a cargo pod.”

Neena looked over around where Savage had gestured. “Which ones Wold?”

Savage pointed him out, and caught the eye of the Insurgent commander who had saved his life. “That’s him. The one looking pissed at me.”

Neena snorted. “They are all looking pissed at you, Karl.”

Savage raised an eyebrow and looked amongst them. “Hmm. Never noticed that before. Still, that’s what you get being an authority figure.”

Neena chuckled and turned to the side when her wristcom bleeped. “Neena here.”

The source of the communication was Ailsa on the bridge. “Sorry to interrupt, commander, but I think we had better think about getting out of here. TacOps has picked up some contacts at long range bearing down on the wreckage of the Vulture. Probably salvage teams.”

“Agreed.” Said Neena. “Fire up the engines and get us to back on our patrol route.”

“Understood. Bridge, out.”

Savage turned to her. “Everything ok?”

Neena nodded. “Contacts moving in on the wreckage. We’re returning to our normal patrol route now. Should be there in under an hour.”

“Good.” Said Savage. “I don’t like the idea of sitting under cloak for this length of time. I can feel my testicles retreating into my abdomen already.”

Neena scrunched her eyes up and shook her head. “So crude.” She said. “When are you going to start acting like a real Fleet Commander?”

Savage shrugged. “Whats a real Fleet Commander?”

Neena sighed and turned away, walking towards the exit of the cargo bay. “Im sure you’ll work it out someday, Karl.”

Savage watched her go, then turned and looked again at the assembled officers from both sides of the garden fence. Now was probably a good time to say something. He searched around for his cohort, and found the Man Behind The Mirrored Glasses at the back of the pack, talking quietly with Gallion once again.

This I am not liking very much.

He looked for more familiar faces, and noticed Reynolds helping some of the medics with the wounded. Somwhere beyond him, he could just about make out Akuma Minako and Ben Somerset.

Uh oh. Akuma.

Savage dared not wonder how Akuma would have reacted to his flinging himself at Neena. He knew that she had feelings for him, strong feeling even, and it had been totally forgotten when he had seen Neena standing there.

It’s not my problem, thought Savage. I didn’t ask for her to fall in love with me. I didn’t do anything to encourage it.

That’s a lie, and you know it! interrupted the antagonistic part of his mind.

Shut up brain, I wasn’t asking you.

You did encourage it. Remember the party back at HQ? The lounge? The dance. The …. Kiss?

Savage failed to silence that part of his mind, despite all his efforts.

Ok, so maybe I did encourage it a bit. But hell, I was drunk, weary from all the paperwork and repair schedules, weary of the war, the loss of life, Epsilon 5 goading me ….

That’s right, blame Epsilon 5. He made you do it. He forced you to dance with her, get drunk, talk about life … love … the future.

Urghh.

It had been over two months since that evening in the lounge. Two months of near constant work, worry and war. So much had happened in so little time. The destruction of the Wraith Fleet. The open declaration of war. That night in the lounge. Akuma’s joyride. Akira’s abduction. Rattlers call for help. The mission. This mission.

The mission …. Time to focus Karl. We still have a job to do.

Savage put the troubled thoughts out of his mind and steered himself for the job at hand. Gathering all the authority he could muster, he stepped amongst the masses and cried out for silence.

“Ok people, listen up. Despite all the screw ups and our near fatal exit from the Vulture, we have made our rendevous. The mission is still a go and we still have a lot of work ahead of us.”

“An hour from now this ship will be back on it’s regular patrol route. Twelve hours later, that patrol route will take us into near earth orbit. At that point, two teams will beam down to the surface and rendevous with their respective contacts. The McKendrick will continue on with it’s patrol and return to earth exactly six hours later. At that point, providing everything goes to plan, both teams will be extracted with Akira.”

Savage paused for a moment to allow the assembled officers a short while to consider what he had said.

“Exact specifics of the mission assignments will be divulged to you by your mission leaders before we beam down. Assignments will be posted in the briefing room in eight hours. Until then, get yourselves some food and rest. This ship is running on a skeleton crew, and like the Vulture, all external comms have been disabled for security reasons.”

There was some murmering from the gathered officers when he said this. Once again, they felt as if they were being treated like criminals.

“Look, im sorry it has to be this way. But it is absolutely vital that we keep this locked down. We’re entering the most vital part of the operation now, and we cant offered to have any slip ups.”

“Fair point.” Muttered Gallion, stepping through the masses and towards Savage. “But ye still hasn’t told us what we’re doing.”

Savage glared at him with cold, hard eyes.

You are becoming one helluva pain in my arse, Gallion.

“For the sake of security, I want to keep the details under wraps until just prior to launch.”

Gallion raised an eyebrow. “We’ve all been very patient with you so far, Savage, but if we don’t start to get some details now, ye gonna find yourself short a few volunteers. Myself included.”

Savage glared at Gallion and didn’t bother to hide his distaste for the man. Looking up from him briefly, he saw similar looks from many of the other officers, several of which were GalCom in origin. Most of which directed at him.

Are things really that bad? Do they resent me that much?

Savage gave in.

“Ok, you want details, I’ll give you what I can.”

The masses silenced, Savage continued. “Like I said, two teams will be formed and at the appointed time, will beam down to earth. During the last few days, two operatives working on the surface have been able to pinpoint the location of a secret Earthcom facility, deep underground. Don’t ask me how, because I wont tell you. Team one is charged with infiltrating this facility and taking control of the security center. Once this facility has been taken, they are to place explosive charges at several vital operation locations, including a heavily guarded transport scrambling centre. This facility must be neutralised if team two is to have any chance of success.”

“Team two is the rescue team. They are charged with retrieving Akira. Once the transport scrambling facility has been neutralised, team two will beam into a quiet corner of what we believe is the interrogation centre and locate Akira. This area is heavily patrolled and guarded with automated defense systems. Our operatives on the surface have equipment that may make you’re job a little easier. Once Akira has been secured, you are to return to the beam in point for immediate extraction. And that’s it.”

Insurgent commander Wold was the first to speak up. “That’s it? That’s all the detail you are going into?”

Savage nodded. “As I said, you will be briefed on the exact specifics nearer to the mission time. You got a taster of whats to come, and that’s your lot. In truth, there are still some details that need to be ironed out. Certain things that our operatives on the surface are trying to determine at this very moment. There is a high likelihood that things will not go as planned, which means you will have to act on your own inititive to get the job done.”

“Now, take my advice and get some food and rest. Just make sure you are in the operation centre when the assignments are posted. If anyone needs to see me before that time, I suggest you get onto the bridge. Until then, dismissed.”

Immediately questions were being fired at him from all directions. Savage ignored them, and walked to the exit of the cargo bay and made his way along the hall to the nearest turbo lift. He stepped in, leaned back against the cold, smooth panel and with his eyes closed, ordered the lift to take him to the bridge.

[/RP]

[RP]

19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Cargobay One

"Hey, watch where you're goin would ya? Where's the fire?" the man he ran into said angrilly, then added, "You blind or something?"

There is no way he could have been mistaken for a Galcom or Insurgent Officer. Maybe the guy thought he was one of the Mercs hired for the mission. Zeke decided to take advantage of this distorted fact and turned to face the man. Hopefully this guy did not know what the other mercs looked like or saw any wanted messages from Galcom, if so Zeke's opaque eye would more than likely give him away.

"Sorry about that, never been transported before. I was blinded by a blast from one of them Gams that boarded, could you point toward the door so I can try and find the medibay?" Zeke was holding back the urge to shoot something as he said this, the whole blindness deal was getting on his nerves.

[/RP]

heh heh, things are getting increasing interresting.

[rp]

19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Cargobay One

As the man looked up, Caine saw the opaque eyes, and fully expected to be smacked for asking such a stupid question.

Before he could respond, and try to save face, he overheard the foced briefing.

*Earth? Rendezvous? What the hell have you gotten yourself into now Caine.*

The blind man interrupted Caine's brooding, and asked where the med bay was.

"Damned if I know sport, I just got here. Hell, I don't even know where 'here' is right now."

Caine thought for a minute as he continued to listen in on the briefing, then an idea hit him.

"Tell you what. If I help you get to a med bay, will you help me get a message out? I don't care how, but I need to contact my ship. Judging from what's going on, these clowns are going to need help, which means I can still make something of this."

It was obvious that Blades had finished his speech, because the room erupted in a chorus of questions and demands. Amongst the chaos, he spied three of the engineers, one looking worse for wear judging by the odd angle of his leg.

"Follow me my good man." He spoke to who he presumed was a merc, as he offered a shoulder to guide the man.

He then made his way towards the only familiar faces on the boat.

"Where is Cathy?" He didn't even want to know what happened to the missing engineer, but knew with certaity that he'd find out sooner or later.

"She went to the Medibay already. She's waiting to collect the wounded, again." The engineer's suit had a burn across the chest, and the helmet which sat beside him had a spider-web crack that covered the entire faceplate.

"Dare I ask what happened to Edson?" He knew it would be messy, but he had to ask.

"It was like a giant decided to pinch the corridor shut, and he was in the way. Well, half in the way. We had to leave him behind."

No more details were needed, he could imagine well enough the gore that could be expected. Instead of thinking about the matter, he bent down to help the others carry the engineer with the broken leg, then he set about getting directions.

[/rp]

Guest Mikel

[rp]

Outer space!

The black void of space engulfed Nimitz in his suit. The glittering of stars were like diamonds in the inky blackness of space. Nimitz, however, didn't notice it at all. He watched from behind his helmet as the ship did a very close fly-by of the Vulture. Suddenly he appeared in a ship. He was disorented from the sudden position change and nearly collapsed on the floor.

Popping the seals on his helmet, he removed. He didn't have time to take much more then a glimpse around before the pain became too much and he collapsed, unconcious.

[/rp]

Ouch, poor Edson Dang giants, always out to get us.

[RP]

19th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Cargobay One

Before the man could answer him someone began a speech behind him and Zeke instinctively turned around, even though it was not necessary. As the Commander listened to the man talking, who he assumed to be either Fleet Commander Savage or Insurgent One, he felt his luck changing. Zeke had succeeded in his mission, he knew what these people were up to, now all he had to do was find a way to profit off of it.

"Damned if I know sport, I just got here. Hell, I don't even know where 'here' is right now," the man finally responded after speech giver was finished.

Commander Stone was about to ask the guy if he could at least point him toward a door when the guy continued with, "Tell you what. If I help you get to a med bay, will you help me get a message out? I don't care how, but I need to contact my ship. Judging from what's going on, these clowns are going to need help, which means I can still make something of this."

Still make something . . . Clowns . . . my ship. Plus he did not know where the medibay was. Of course, this guy must have been a merc. But how did he get invloved in this whole mess? Did he have a contract I didn't know about or maybe the same one as me?

After taking a couple seconds to think Zeke said, "Sure, I can help you. If this is a Galcom ship I know how to hack into it."

"Follow me my good man." the Merc responded.

After a few seconds he began to walk away and Zeke quietly limped after him, following the sound of his footsteps. As he followed he thought he heard what sounded like the thump of someone hitting the hard steel floor.

19th May, 3008

GCV McKendrick

Interceptor Bay 1

There were about 7 Engineers wandering in Engineering according to Jet's bioscans. As he waited, one of them finally came out and headed in the direction of Jet's location.

"Who are you?" the man questioned as he walked into the Interceptor Bay. Thompson didn't reply, he merely raised his rifle and stunned the man.

A few minutes later Jet stepped out of the Interceptor bay in a new Galcom uniform. He had placed the unsuspecting engineer in the Interceptor.

Pulling down a cap he had taken from the guy Thompson made his way into engineering. Only one of them glanced up from his work, but didn't seem to notice the same engineer didn't come back.

Thompson made his way over to one of the computers and went to work on his new plan.

[/RP]

Another lazy saturday, at least I have plenty of time to write

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Commander Zeke Stone ]

Heehee! Sound like a lot of fun going on here! ^_^

[rp]

"You can rest after you straighten yourself up and act like a Commander in the service," A voice startled her out of her grief and made her look around."They did not give you a commission at the Academy to see you break down the first time you see something you don't like. You might as well get used to it, since it's going to happen the rest of your career."

Akuma gave a silent nod wincing a bit. God he sounds just like Foss.

"It's happened to me more times than I care to count. When my Commander was killed in battle with the Insurgents, I almost lost it," he said quietly. "But I put that behind me, and did what had to be done. Not because it was what I wanted, but because it was neccessary. People die, and bad things happen in war, dear lady," Akuma searched his eyes and found pain within them. You're right...i know you are...I lost my family too but the Insurgents saved me...One insurgent in particular.

"The point is that you are an example to the men. What example do you set when you sit and cry like that? The men see you as a weak, indecisive officer. And when you get into combat, that gets people killed. Your men will die because of your incompetence, Commander! Because you let everything get to you. If that happens, Commander, I will personally recommend to Fleet Commander Savage that you be relieved of duty, pending psychological evaluation."

Akuma wanted to tell him that technically she SHOULD be in psychological evaluation right now. After everything that happened she needed to be there but Savage had dragged her off to this place. Damn him! The tightness of resentment squeezed at her heart.

"Get yourself to the galley, and have a few drinks," he said, voice softening again. "Then pick up the pieces, and move on. There's nothing else you can do about it. I suppose that's one thing you learn with age. Too many things are beyond your control. The way you deal with things isn't. Get your act together. You owe it to yourself, and to your men."

Akuma paused a moment listening to these words. She was tired and confused and her mind was already reeling with the things Foss had told her in the infermary...But he was right. She didn't have to take this and she didn't have to break down this way. First chance I get I'm talking to Rattler.

He raised a finger to point her in the direction of the Galley but stopped and gave her a warm smile."Aw...bugger it. I could use a medicinal dose myself. Thank God that they haven't banned alcohol onboard ship. I'll join you. I think we've both earned a tot, in our own ways. You with yours, and me with holding that bucket together far longer than either of us expected. Me, or her. I'll drink to her, though. For a piece of junk, she was a fine ship. Let's get to the galley,"

He began to head for the galley and Akuma followed hesitantly at first but glancing back at Blades she stiffined glaring briefly in his direction and following Ben with defiant strides.

Whatever this mission entails...I'll get it done and over with and the I'll talk with Rattler...Yes, that sounds reasonable right now.

[/rp]

Oh oh! Let's get this show on the road!

(RP)

GCV McKendrick

Medibay

Nova left Medibay feeling a little better. He was having some trouble, because he forgot to take some pills or eat something before leaving, which would have taken the teleportation stress out of him. Most people took pills with their food from the nutripak processor.

Earlier he recieved a message about a briefing for the mission, to be scheduled later.

Oh yeah, finally we get to the mission. We've lost more than half our men to the Gams, and still hope we can pull this off? For a top ranking Insurgent? Whatever.

Alec Nova headed down to the Galley for a bite to eat and maybe some drinks.

Man. I almost got myself killed this time. I wonder if I should keep doing this. Maybe I should settle down and relax a bit.

(/RP)

NOTE: DELETED GALLEY SECTION, WILL POST FIXED LATER

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

I killed my last post, so Liev never left the Med Bay. Him being on the bridge would have casued to many conflicts.

[rp]

GCV-McKendrick

Med Bay

Liev was tranported from the Vulture Med Bay, and in good time. The klaxons and countdowns were begining to annoy him.

He found himself in other Med Bay, but this one was larger, contained better equipment, and had a number of Galcom uniformed medics rushing about, suggesting that he (and probably everyone else) had been rescued by a Galcom vessel.

The efficiency and competence of the medical staff was light-years better than the hodge-podge triage of the Vulture, and Liev's leg was mended in quick order.

Just as he was heeled, what seemed to be the CMO of the ship approached him and gave Liev a datapad. He unlocked it with his thumbprint. Noting it came from Savage, he read on:

quote:

Despite all the screw ups and our near fatal exit from the Vulture, we have made our rendevous. The mission is still a go and we still have a lot of work ahead of us.

An hour from now this ship will be back on itÔÇÖs regular patrol route. Twelve hours later, that patrol route will

take us into near Earth orbit. At that point, two teams will beam down to the surface and rendevous with their respective contacts. The McKendrick will continue on with itÔÇÖs patrol and return to earth exactly six hours later. At that point, providing everything goes to plan, both teams will be extracted with Akira

Exact specifics of the mission assignments will be divulged to you by your mission leader before we beam down. Assignments will be posted in the briefing room in eight hours. Until then, get yourself some food and rest. This ship is running on a skeleton crew, and like the Vulture, all external comms have been disabled for security reasons.

Two teams will be formed and at the appointed time, will beam down to Earth. During the last few days, two operatives working on the surface have been able to pinpoint the location of a secret Earthcom facility, deep underground. DonÔÇÖt ask me how, because I won't tell you. Team one is charged with infiltrating this facility and taking control of the security center. Once this facility has been taken, they are to place explosive charges at several vital operation locations, including a heavily guarded transport scrambling centre. This facility must be neutralised if team two is to have any chance of success.

Team two is the rescue team. They are charged with retrieving Akira. Once the transport scrambling facility has been neutralised, team two will beam into a quiet corner of what we believe is the interrogation centre and locate Akira. This area is heavily patrolled and guarded with automated defense systems. Our operatives on the surface have equipment that may make youÔÇÖre job a little easier. Once Akira has been secured, the teams will return to the beam in point for immediate extraction.

As soon as you recieve this and are healed, Liev, come to the bridge. We need to talk.

Liev finished the message, and in promptly deleted itself. He thought about the last lines in Savage's message. As he accepted his discharge and left the Med Bay, he thought, "Perhaps now I shall find out what a commando raid needs with a pilot."

[/rp]

Check you email (orionfleet account), Blades, if you haven't already.

Nova, a small thing of note. I was headed to the galley with Akuma for drinks, not Blades. Under the circumstances, kissing Neena and all, I seriously doubt that Blades would be the first person Akuma would want to talk to. Personally, I'd rip his lungs out, but since she has feelings for him... Love is strange, after all.

[RP]

19 May, 3008

GCV McKendrick

Galley

He'd seen Akuma take a quick look at Savage before they began heading toward the galley, for what he considered a well needed and earned drink. Almost before they made it out the hatch, Savage began another one of his speeches about what was to come. It was concise, and told them absolutely nothing.

"All he mangaged to say is that we're going to get our asses shot off, because he doesn't have an Ops plan in place already. At least when we got jumped by the Gamms in Rinaal, we had a contingency plan in place. And all in all, it worked fairly well. At least, if you consider over ten thousand casualties quite well." With that thought, his eyes grew cold, and he glared at Savage. What in hell does he know about ground Ops anyway? How many Marine teams has he beamed down with? And how many did he see get blown away because some stupid higher up couldn't find his arse with both hands and a wristlaser?"

Ben Somerset was well aware he'd at least paid his dues in those respects. Most nights ever since the Massacre, he'd dreamed about it. When he'd come home, Jessica had been genuinely frightened when he'd wake up screaming in a cold sweat. He knew he'd get over it eventually, but that it would take time. Too many had died, and the death wasn't going to end any time soon.

He'd gone down with Marines, and seen the carnage. The holed ATV's, MI guys with holes the size of watermelons gaping through their armor. Hell, the Marines had given him the highest accolade they could. They'd told him personally that he made a better jarhead than any other vacuum sucker they'd ever met. Now that was a compliment.

And did Savage have a clue? At the moment, it was doubtful. With his flagrant disobedience of proper decorum, among other things (which meant Akuma, probably), Somerset did not have a high opinion of Karl Savage's capabilities as a commanding officer.

"But what I need right now is a drink. That might put things in a better light."

He didn't even notice that his suit was still on. Spending the first 6 years of your career in Engineering meant you got used to a lot of suit time. And Marine battle armor was very similar to a standard suit. Most people would shed a suit at the first opportunity. "I guess old spacers just don't get bothered by it like these kids do."

With that, he turned and began heading for the galley. As he did, he noticed Akuma giving Savage what even men in the 31st century called "The Look", and came up to walk side by side.

Conversation was light on the way. Nothing too serious was brought up. As they walked down the corridors, Somerset couldn't help looking at her, and how young she was. Just a child, and GalCom entrusted her with a billion credit plus ship, and the lives of her crew. When he was her age, he was only then going to the Tactical Officer's Course to move up to Second Officer. Why GalCom had started minting the fledgling children, who were no more spacers than his accountant brother, as Commanders was beyond his understanding.

"But remember, Ben, you're from a different time. To these kids, you are an anachronism. A throwback to 'days long gone'. When things like 'protocall' and 'military courtesy' were important." He'd heard what some of them had to say about "Mr. Spit and Polish". Just how many of them thought he belonged more on a holystoned quarterdeck, cutlass in hand, carronade roaring around him?

He couldn't answer his question, because they arrived at the galley. He walked up to the Steward Droid manning the counter and asked, "What do you have in the way of spirits?"

"There is the standard issue of Class VI spirits in stock, sir. Brandy, scotch, congac, vodka, gin, rum, beer, and wine," the droid tonelessly replied.

"Fine. You don't happen to have any Chivas Regal, do you?"

"Yes. But that is reserved for the senior officers. Guest persons are only allowed standard Class VI spirits."

"We'll have to see what we can do about that, won't we?" he said, grinning almost wickedly at Akuma.

"You do have access to the main computer, do you not?"

"Yes, sir," the machine replied uncaringly.

"Then access the personnel records, and identify me."

"You are Commander Benjamin Somerset, sir."

"That's right. And as a perview of my rank, I'm countermanding the standing orders, and requesting that you give me the bottle of Chivas," he said. Rank hath its priviledges.

"I'm afraid that would have to be authorized by the Commander, sir," the droid tried to say somewhat politely.

"And what is the Commander's date of rank?"

It took a moment for the droid to get that information. "July, 3004, sir."

"And mine?"

Another moment quickly passed. "February, 2991, sir."

"That means I outrank her, and therefore, you will give me the Chivas."

He could almost hear the gears turning when the droid reached down and pulled out a full bottle of Chivas Regal and two glasses, saying "That is a reasonable argument, sir. Thank you, and enjoy your stay."

"That last bit sounded just like a cheap hotel droid in the Capital. But who cares? It got us the bottle." He lifted the bottle and glasses, and set them on the table. Looking at Akuma he said "An old friend used to say he always thought I'd make a good guardhouse lawyer. Now I'm beginning to see why." That thought caused a small chuckle as he broke the seals, and poured a generous portion into each glass.

As he looked directly at her with his unwavering gaze, he took a chance and asked "You want to talk about Savage?" "After all, being a commanding officer is more about calculated risk than it is anything else."

And then an awful thought crossed his mind as he waited for an answer, a slap, or a drink thrown in his face.

"What if Savage has calculated that we're all expendable, if it means achieving the objective?"

If that was the case, he would see to it that he would come back alive, just so he could kill that snotty Fleet Commander.

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Ben Somerset ]