Trial by Fire

"Ah Nimitz, I'm sure you've heard the news about commander Jackson", James paused Nimitz nodded solemnly his response, James gave in to a pang of remorse and then steadied himself again,"Its a terrible loss for the crew but we don't have time for that now lets here your report.....". Nimitz started his report as the Andromeda hurtled through space heading for home ..........

Three days later James presided over Commander Jackson funeral at Wraith HQ, Jackson had no family and his request had been to have his body committed to the cold of space that he loved so much. The GCV Andromeda had been released from dry dock for the occasion, and as she sat in space James Smyth gave a fitting epitaph to his fallen commander, his fallen friend. Commander Jackson was buried with full military honours, many other members from Wraith showed up including FC Gallion, which surprised James a little. James was glad to see however that Sargeant Nimitz had been able to attend, James had given a glowing report on Nimitz's part in the operation when he was debriefed indeed he had proved himself a confident and effecient marine and James hoped he would do well.

After the proceding were over James was in his quarters looking over some personal effects, there was a knock at the door and James was surprised to see Gallion standing the far side of it. Gallion invited himself in and complimented James on an operation well done."Thank you Sir," James replied,"but I really ......"

"Nonsene,"Gallion but him off,"You got your ship and your crew home in one piece, that was some nice manoveurs you pulled off."

"Thank you, Sir". James snapped smiling slighty as he responded.

"I'll get straight to the point Smyth", Gallion continued,"You have proved yourself a competant commander on a number of occassions, not least of all the Andromeda's last mission, you have refused promotion to Commander on at least three occassions stating you wished to stay on board the Andromeda." Gallion paused and smiled wirely at James,"Leutenant Smyth, I am hereby promoting you to Commander and transfering command of the GCV Andromeda to you, Congratulations Commander," With that Gallion reached into his uniform pocket and picked out a set of Commanders stripes and attached them to James's uniform, "Well done"

James shook hands with Gallion and turned to look in the mirror. "Now Commander", Gallion started,"do you think you can get me back to HQ without any problems."

"Yes SIR." James smiled and turned as they both headed to the bridge.

When the got to the bridge James was surprised to see all his officers gathered on the bridge, as they entered the all stood/stopped what they were doing and clapped. Gallion gestured towards the command chair and James moved tentively towards it. Sitting down slowly James took a moment to survey around him, somehow the Andromeda seemed different now, she was now his responsibility. Geraldine stepped up and brushed the arm of his uniform with her hand, brushing her fingers over the commanders stripes, she leaned over and whispered in his ear,"They suit you!" she kissed him gently on the check and stood up, saluting she said,"Congratulations SIR!"

James Smyth Smiled as he took one more look around the bridge, his officers were all saluting at him as he watched, he stood up out of his chair paused for a moment and took a deep breath,"Helm set course for Sirus Station, Cruising Speed." As the crew turned back to their stations James Smyth smiled and the Andromeda turned towards home............