Alien social/military structures

Guest Shingen

Guest Shingen

I have started this thread so I can get some ideas about how to go about scripting the various races within the BC Universe. I did an exhaustive search for alien social info, but didn't find every much so, I'm assuming that the potential really hasn't been addressed in RP thread envirnoment.

First, let's all assume that we've read the manual on the various alien races. Needless to say, the manual only gives a basic idea of the various alien cultures and such.

My problem is that in the Indie thread, in order to make the story work, I'm going to have to get into detail regarding the Gammulan military, how they interact with each other, how the military works, social castes, and the like. There's not much in the RP's regarding this so I assume we have to make it up as we go along. That's why I started this thread. I didn't want to just start improvising stuff, since it would impact the BC Universe RP gaming history, thus everyone who has an RP character or creates an RP character that involves Gammulans or Valkerie or whichever alien race, without getting everyone else's imput.

Any veteren RP'ers who have any suggestions on how to go about detailing the various alien cultures, specifically the Gammulans, would be greatly appreciated.

Also anyone who has any pertinent ideas is also welcome.

I would also ask that we try to keep this thread as on topic as possible, regarding the various alien races and how to go about detailing their respective cultures for an RP environment.

First RTFM. The introduction about the alien races specifically. We are allowed what is in there; as in who likes and dislikes who, who is at war with who, and who is subjugating who. Be very careful what you introduce.

It was either Turning of a Wraith or Cerebus Stirs where Gallion made heavy use of the gammulan military. Try reading those.

Be very careful what you introduce though.

Read Prelude to the Dance (it's in the Rp forum) where Jon Ballinger wrote an excellent piece on the Gammulan military in the days immediately preceding the Second Gammulan War.

As for the rest, it's never really been documented. Perhaps in the strategy guide that the SC is arranging, he will include more info about the various races.

What Charles and DeSylva said plus.....

I took a page or two from several different story universes (from books, films, TV series, etc.) and genres and portrayed the Gammullan empire as a Warrior Class/Caste Society. The social structure of several ancient civilizations in the early history of Terra Firma were based on this.

TTFN

[ 05-12-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Guest Shingen

Thanks guys, but I read all those and though they are excellent RP's, they don't help very much.

Hey Charles, what's RTFM??

I guess I'll have to improv and you'll all just let me know if I screw it up..

Guest Shingen

So are the Gammulans like a feudal society ruled by a military caste like ancient asia/europe, where all power is centralized into one person/senate, or are they more the mongols and assyrians, where there was a central ruler, but the society is broken up into 'clans' that extend the rule of the 'nation'.

Also I'm assuming the the Gams use slave-labor and have a class-society where most of the population is kept in servitudse to the military-classes.

I'm trying to figure out how the Gammulans would relate to each other, and other races without making it too cliche'.

There's no point writing about the Gams if we can't make them interesting and utilize a little creativity...