Question about the origins of Genesis Station

Badgerius

The manual states:

quote:

At this time, the United Free Nations (UFN) began work on orbital space stations around

Mars and Earth. These were designed to facilitate continued space exploration and

research...

The second star station, Genesis, was designed primarily as a military

installation from the onset. It had better defensive and offensive systems and was used

to pinpoint the location of Earth Command opposition on the planet’s surface. This

station was three times the size of Starpath and capable of supporting up to twenty five

thousand personnel. It was also the site of the first space-borne shipyard...

On stardate 05.11.2993, Galactic Command (GALCOM) was formed. Its founding

members were the Terrans, Empirians, and the Vesperons. The Genesis star station in

Earth orbit, already a 90% military installation, was converted to a fully-functional tactical

operations center, and eventually became known as GALCOM HQ (or GHQ).

So, does anyone know where the Genesis station in Lunar orbit came from, and how it relates to the original Genesis station, which became GalCom HQ?

Hmm, come to think of it, you would think Prime Fleet Logistics were smarter than putting 2 wings in both of the 2 smaller stations and just one in the biggest available.

This whole double-Genesis thing has found me questionmark-ed too. As of reading this thread, that is. Never have RTFM enough. Personally, different station deserves different name. But one could argue "what's in a name?", right? Odd situation. But I'm not going to guess at the need for the 'new' Genesis. All I ever really thought about it was it being a HT station with 10% inflation. Guess I don't really have any business here in the RP section. So I better move off again.

In real life, when the game first came out, there were complaints that there were no safe places to practice and get the hang of it - Earth itself was too dangerous for newbies. As a result, in one of the patches along the way SC made a separate zone for Earth's Moon, and situated a station there, which he named Genesis. Whether it was after the original Genesis, or whether Genesis was moved to lunar orbit and GalCOM HQ was built from scratch, was never addressed in the manual.

This is why Earth's Moon is in a different region to Earth - so that the autogeneration of hostile craft could be turned down without affecting the rest of the Sol system. The moons of Saturn and I think Neptune or Uranus, are also similarly divided, but this is because having twenty planetary bodies in one regioin was bogging down processing! *grin*.

In trying to explain the origins of the Genesis in Lunar orbit,m I'd tend to go with BCFreak13's explanation, because I find the thought of shipping an entire station a little implausible. But I guess in 3000AD, anything's possible! *grin*.

quote:

I find the thought of shipping an entire station a little implausible

I'm not so sure about that, those babies sure make time when you are stationary and they are moving in orbit.