Ragnarok (Non RP)

I've been thinking about the storyline alot, you may want to join in a little later... hell, you could even join in the battle there is at the moment... The problem is that the story is going to go back before whats happening now (a couple months earlier actually)

Still, feel free to join in anytime

By the way, here is a list of the command staff of the GCV-Myrmidon, so you know who the hell everyone is in the story (each has a brief description, but this description was written for these characters for 3015AD, it's a little out of date ):

Flight Officer: Lieutenant Junior Grade Cassandra Flemming

Young and warm-hearted, this women’s friendliness is matched only by her skill as a pilot. Few humans could match her flying ability.

Navigation Officer: Ensign Charles Henry

Ensign Henry recently graduated from the Galcom academy along with his good friend Ensign Anderson. Because this is his first posting he knows little of how tough living on a battlecruiser thousands of light-years from home can be. His older sister is Chief Engineer of the Myrmidon.

Communications Officer: Ensign Loren Anderson

Ensign Loren Anderson went through the academy with Charles Henry, her best friend. She grew up on Mars with her parents until they were killed in a shuttle accident when she was eight. After that she lived with her aunt on Earth.

Tactical Officer: Lieutenant Commander Timothy West

Lt Commander West’s was posted on the GCV Delacroix until 3009 as the Flight officer, later he was moved to the GCV Myrmidon. After the Myrmidons first mission where Commander Henry Moneo was killed he was promoted to Lieutenant Commander and given the position of tactical officer for his outstanding flying during the ambush. He is a competent officer, who has seen his share of combat. However, he becomes a little “trigger-happy” when coming across insurgents.

Combat Officer: Lieutenant Commander Daniel Alexander

Alexander was a crewman onboard the Myrmidon during its first mission, and he blames Jerold Keenan for the death of Commander Moneo, and he often brags to the marines that he could’ve done better if he’d been Combat officer in 3010. He is quick to anger, but is a fierce fighter and is among the best in the ISS Fleet.

Medical Officer: Lieutenant Senior Grade Nathan Carter

Graduated from Galcom Academy top of his class, and is a talented healer. He has turned down several offers to teach at the academy. He previously served on the GCV Bastion and before that the GCV Repulse.

Chief Engineer: Lieutenant Commander Jessica Henry

Jessica Henry is a talented engineer and the older sister of Ensign Henry the ships Nav officer. If not for this engineer the GCV Myrmidon would have probably been sent to the scrap heap after its first mission.

Research Engineer: Lieutenant Junior Grade Julia Duncan

Julia Duncan is an intelligent and resourceful woman who nothing can stop her when there is a mystery to be solved. She is very interested in alien technologies and what they could offer Galcom and its member nations.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Jerold Keenan ]

Not that I want to piss on anybody shoes here, but from what I've read so far, I think you are going to have a major problem with keeping to the established rules for RP gaming in the BC universe. Before you procede any further, I would strongly suggest you outline your premis, present it to one of the RP old timers around here (Myself, DeSylva, Gallion or Chavik as a suggestion) and have it (And it's technology, historical info etc) approved well before you run this any further. If you didnt already know (And Im assuming you dont) there is only so much you can get away with when composing an RP story like this. If you need a more detailed explanation, I suggest you contact one of those mentioned above for guidance.

Right. I mean, the story's all cool, and stuff, but you've got some problems with the "rules of the road"......

Here's what I could tell, right off the bat. Excuse me if I miss some, because I'm still not very experienced at RP, yet.

1) In having your character/alias (Jerold Keenan) interact with someone elses (FC DeSylva), please check with them (by e-mail, ICQ, or whatever means of communication), the actual parts of your conversations. This is to ensure that characters keep their same "style", and whatnot.

2) Check with Fleet officials before writing something up about Fleet/Wing/Battle Group deployments. (As in "Prime Fleets Alpha and Epsilon wings, as well as OrionÔÇÖs Sark battle group and the majority of the Wraith fleet......the entire Insurgency".)

3) Keep technology somewhere within the constraints of the BC Universe. Keep all "special modifications" within believable constraints, and you should always match a "pro" side of things, with a "con" to go with it. (Chronoton shockwave needs pros/cons. What class is the Ragnarok? 37km is really big.)

Hm... The chronoton shockwave reminds me so much about the Chrono Troopers from Red Alert 2..... They both wipe away things from history.

There was this thread back in some of the further pages, that talked about the "mod-ing" of ships or whatnot for technology in RP. I don't seem to have a link, though. If someone knows what I'm talking about, please find a link.

See you later.

And Commander Nova has already pointed out some of the inconsistencies.

There is no Ragnarok.

No new ships are allowed in the BC universe. Use what is there. Capital ships may only launch from a starstation. Or alternately from a planet's surface but you get my drift. No ship in the BC universe carries other cap ships. Derek gets very upset about this. You don't want him down here.

I'm not real thrilled about the chronotron wave either. Pro/con notwithstanding I don't see time travel being invented yet. Perhaps something else just as devastating. A R.A.N.D.O.M. outfitted to work in space perhaps? Very hard to explain but more beleivable. Besides, Unless your back story explains it how do you know it's a chronoton wave?

The etiquette part goes without saying. Though you may most certainly fabricate other fictional ISS ships to detroy as needed. I still miss the ICV Guardian.

I like the background of your characters. Seems like you have thought a lot about what you want your guys to be like and why. Should be a very good story.

Fix those glaring problems with the first posts and it should go smooth.

The reason I put this story some time such a distance into the future is because, such technologies could be developed in that time. And if you think the Ragnarok was big, compare it to something like a death star (150 km)... how come all these big things have huge weaknesses? heh heh heh.

I got the word chronoton from star trek actually, although chrono does generally seem to be assosiated with time-travel or time related technologies in various game and movie universes (why no add a novel into the mix?).

Although, in the future I will talk with anyone before I do any conversations with their character and mine in them, although according to what i've written so far the prelude isn't going to happen. Well, it does happen and we've got to make up what happens so it does happen so then it can't happen and then everyones characters are still alive and I don't get in trouble for killing them . God this is confusing!

I just hate temporal mechanics!

Thats mighty fine hair splitting, and if you ask me that excuse wont cut it with Derek, or any of us who have been doing this since the begining. The reason there are these unwritten (so far - more on that in a sec) rules is to protect the integrity of the BC franchise. We have been told we can RP within the confines that Derek has loosley set for us. Well, those loose confines have been interpreted in many different ways over the last couple of years. Sometimes they are bent a little to facilitate a certain lot device. Usually when this happens you approach the old man himself before posting anything which may incur his wrath. The RP old timers amongst us know what we can get away with, which is why it's usually us that compose these epics to start with. You newbies (no offence) havent had to go through the RP hell that a lot of us have endured for the last few years to develope a working and reliable system that we believe everyone should adhere to. As I said before, it's been an unwritten rule that we observe, but with the release of BCM and the huge influx of RPers that are gonna hit us in the near future, I (and others) now believe it is time to put in some concrete rules as to how and what can be done in RP.

This isnt being done to limit peoples creative endevours, but to moderate it in a fashion that protects THE GAME, it's history, characters and future. We all want to better the game, contribute to it's development in RP but we cant do this unless it's done correctly.

So I am proposing the establishment of an RP council of sorts to establish ground rules for RPing as well as setting up a standard that everyone should conform to.

Now this isnt a sudden idea or anything. It's somthing that has concerned me for a long time now, and in discussions regarding this with some others (You know who you are) we have all come to the same conclusion regarding what needs to be done. Although this is by no means definate, it's somthing that should be done.

Expect somthing sanctioned later.

***WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS FOR MY STORY***

In the RP thread, I've made it so that in, oh the next 12 years Galcom starts work on developing time travel technology (in star trek, and in Red Alert 2 they've made the technologies much earlier than the year 3027), Galcom designs a ship called the Ragnarok (or 'End of Time') to wipe out the exsistance of their enemies, the insurgents steal the ship and plan to wipe out Galcom, so everything is how they want it to be.

Unfortunatly because the myrmidon goes suicide the Ragnarok is destroyed, all ideas for the technology is wiped from the bc universe, any new technologies introduced in my story are gone by the end and so derek doesn't have to worry about anything.

Essentially this story is about what happens leading up to the battle of the Ragnarok, and once we finally get to the battle, all changes in technology or the bc universe will be wiped clean... any characters killed come back (if you want you can have your character die, and he comes back after the story). So, I don't change anything... as far as everyones concered there will be 2 years of 3027, what happens in the story and what happens once the ragnarok is wiped from time...

Im confused, did what I say make any sense?

Allrighty everyone, i'm not going to touch the RP thread until these rules are done (so I don't get into trouble). Please no one join the thread until I've made the changes, I'll say when I've done so here.

Everyone happy now?

Good, Derek didn't even have to yell at me. In fact, I don't think I've even talked to him before... I'd hate the first time he ever talked to me, be the first time he ever got pissed at me... that would not be good.

Ah yes, first contact with the boss. Flip a coin. Anyway, im in discussions regarding having a working draft of these rules with those involved. Once in place, they will need to be strictly adhered to, or RP mods would have to make corrections.

quote:

Originally posted by Jerold Keenan:

[QB]

any characters killed come back (if you want you can have your character die, and he comes back after the story). So, I don't change anything...

QB]

heh and i was thinking of a ceremony for the GCV-Myrmidon.

nah, just kidding.

expect a post from me when you got your story fixed and expect a new RP from me.(coming soon )

Blades,

What exactly are the rules going to entail? Technology use and the like, or will it be more ship-specific things like officers duties, watch schedules, alert states, etc? I've had my own questions about this for quite some time myself. Especially about alert states. Personally "Red Alert" is just a little too cliche for me. I myself have tried to make it a little more realistic following seaborne navy styles of alert states, the four hour watches, duty log, etc. because it keeps in the naval tradition which itself has been established over hundreds of years. I like consistency, which is why this RP guide you've mentioned above will be a welcome addition to RP for me. Nothing bugs me more than inconsistency, especially in the same RP.

Designing standards for things like shipboard duties, common engagement protocols is not what this is about. What it's about is setting in place sme ground rules that everyone participating should adhere to. Im talking about things such as not randomly creating a set of new technologies that are not minor additions/alterations for existing tech.

For example, in PS, I took the games most powerful weapon - The R.A.N.D.O.M device and had it mounted on an OTS weapon which was in turn mounted on a cloakable probe. Somthing like this - although stretching the existing technology we are familiar with in the a little wasnt such a leap, as say a 37km superstarship and a chronoton weapon. Things like the probe weapon are fine - providing it is realistic (in the sense that anything is pretty much realistic in a sci-fi setting providing it can be explained in some way or another) whereas island sized starships and time weapons are not. You have to gauge the leap in technology from the current, established era, to whatever time frame you are running the RP in. Notice the technology history of BC? Things advanced very slowly for the most part. With the introduction of new races and new ideas into the fold, technology improves with leaps and bounds but NOT to the degree where fantastical technologies can exist. Progress from steam to nuclear power in a relative short space of time is one thing, but a missile weapon to chronoton weapons with the ability to remove people and places from history is quite another. When developing technology, it's fine to make it an extension of an existing system. If it's augmented in any way, it should do so with a negative attached. The Graff Spee, for example, has exceptional stealth abilities. This is countered by some very depressing negative effects which usually come into play when Gallion RP's. Nothing you augment or create can be a readily available and common place item. It's has to be experimental, prone to malfunctions or a single plot device that is unlikely to be repeated in the future.

Of course, people should have creative liscence to develope different tech - so long as it realistic to a certain degree. Bad guys tend to have all the great toys, so this should also be taken into consideration with an RP. Bad guys never really win, so sooner or later, their toys and plans for world domination will fail due to the players actions.

There are, of course, other things to be taken into consideration. Like character interaction with other players. Nobody wants to have other people writing on their behalf, making statements of taking actions that the player might not agree with. If you want to RP the actions of a character not under your legitimate control, talk to the player concerned or restrict the discussion/actions of the character you are interacting with to the established norms for that character. NEVER have somthing unplesent happen to another players character unless you have discussed it with the player first.

Anyway, this is getting longer by the second, and although Id love to go on all day with this, not every point can be covered just now and not every point is in agreement. For now, common sense should be applied to any given RP. If you want to write epic stories, feel free. If you want to do somthing that might not be in line with the established RP norms around here, seek advice from one of the RP old timers. One very important thing :- If you are planning on running an RP which will have repercussions that span the galaxy, always (and I mean always) ask permission from the SC before composing anything.

In PS, I shocked the RP community by announcing within the RP that the SC's AE character was assasinated. Yes, I got an awful lot of flack for this, but before I did this I talked to the SC and asked permission to do so. It's that simple.

Dont mess with the established history of the game.

Dont create new and fantastical technologies to wow your friends with.

Dont run RP's where a player may speak for or injur/kill another players character without first discussing it with the person concerned.

These are the three most basic and least abused rules to RP. The rest are suggestions, tips etc gleamed from a lot of BC RP experience from those of us that have entered the murky depths of RP thus far.

More when it's finished.

quote:

Dont mess with the established history of the game.

Dont create new and fantastical technologies to wow your friends with.

Dont run RP's where a player may speak for or injur/kill another players character without first discussing it with the person concerned.

These are the three most basic and least abused rules to RP. The rest are suggestions, tips etc gleamed from a lot of BC RP experience from those of us that have entered the murky depths of RP thus far.

These are three simple rules to follow.

Keep within the established BC universe and history as documented in the BC3K manual and upcoming BCM manual and appendix.

WARNING

Fix the non BC Series stuff - super ship and that blippin' chrono thingy - or face the consequences

END WARNING

When in doubt - use e-mail or the forum's private messaging to get clarification.

TTFN

Yes the story is very cool but it's not a Battlecruiser story.

Because other "universes" discovered some technologies in the relative past doesn't mean that every universe will discover that technology around the same time.

Frankly I think the slow evolution of the BC universe is more realistic, compared to the warp techs and phasers of ST around 2200 (I think)

Okay, okay...go easy on the guy. He's not the first person to make this mistake, and approximate ten posts or so ago he said he's put a freeze on Ragnarok until he can fix it up.

At least he's enthusiastic. He's also a member of the ISS, so I feel obliged to take some of the heat off him. He knows he has my permission to use my character in his role-playing. As far as the new techs are concerned, I think he's learned his lesson. So how about Blades, myself, and those others who feel they have input into writing down these "unwritten rules", take this off-forum and develop them so that we can guide this enthusiastic fan in the right direction?

In the meantime, I will discuss Ragnarok further with Jerold over the ISS mailing lists.

-GD