Universal Combat: The Silent War

Raziel

(This very much a work in progress. This post only actually contains the opening 2 pages ^_^ but Im so excited and I really want to see what peoples inital impressions are that I can't wait any longer Hope you enjoy, but please post your thoughts, bad or good)

quote:

ÔÇ£Take my love. Take my land.

Take me where I cannot stand.

I don't care, I'm still free.

You can't take the sky from me.ÔÇØ(1)

GCV Timestamp: 0030 Hrs 10-31-3082

System: Polaris

Sector: Polaris-1

Vessel: Warmonger Class Super Cruiser

Designation: Difference of Opinion

ÔÇ£Supreme Commander. Hadden(2) would again like to extend itÔÇÖs thanks to you for acting personally in dealing with the escalating pirate situation. ÔÇ£

Supreme Commander Karl Reines continued glad-handing the Hadden liaison for a few moments more, but mentally turning over recent events. The whole thing stank that much was obvious, but he could not put his finger on what was so wrong.

His alarm chirruped, it was time for his shift. Absently he passed through corridors and by crew, lost a flood of data and after-action reports.

ÔÇ£Admiralty on the Deck!ÔÇØ called the Watch Officer, snapping a taunt salute.

ÔÇ£Anything to report?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Not much,sir. We had a few false alerts, caused by some rogue bodies. TacScan estimated they were left over debris from a comet. They have been ambling at about 50km/s, occasionally slipping out of detection, but have been holding course steady. However as precaution, I had the ship make a quick evasive maneuver with sensors full active. No change in analysis. We will bypass them in a few moments as we end our patrol and enter the jump point.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Very well. You are relived.ÔÇØ The W.O. snapped another crisp salute and tiredly headed toward the lift. A flash of insight shot through the Reines mind. Ambling bodies.

ÔÇ£Lieutenant!ÔÇØ He called to the W.O., ÔÇ£when were the bodies first detected?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Approximately two hours ago, 360 k by k(3) distant.ÔÇØ

It all fit, if a target was effectively stationary or going to a fixed pointit could be sighted at visual range.Which would mean..

ÔÇ£ Navop Emergency Thrust, Activate PT-ÔÇ£

WARNING ACQUIRED!

WARNING ACQUIRED!

WARNING ACQUIRED! Screeched the computer, far, far too late.

Status displays winked from emerald to amber in an instant. The ship rumbled and shook, electronics sparked and flared, screams intertwined with frantic damage reports. The hull was breached in multiple sections, reactor containment was failing. The flagship of Galcom, mortally wounded in only a few seconds of engagement. The bleak irony of it all drew a sardonic smile to his lips.

WARNING ACQUIRED!

WARNING ACQUIRED!

Gazing through the mangled viewer, he could almost see her amongst the stars.

Damn you, Kyra

Universal Combat:

The Silent War

Chapter 1:

The Blood of Patriots and Tyrants

Footnotes:

(1) The Ballad of Serenity, FireFly

Lyrics by Joss Whedon

(2)Hadden (Industries): A terran based mega-corparation. Since the Diaspora it contains business interests with nearly every known race. Rumored to be a member of the ÔÇÿOrganizationÔÇÖ.

(3) 360 K by K: 360,000(360k) Kilometers (Normally abbreviated Km. Navy crews tend to us K instead)

• 4 weeks later...

Diversify to multiple media types, my friend. If you backup those files onto another disk, then you are likely to solve this problem for the future.

BTW, I'm looking forward to Chapter 2.

quote:

Originally posted by Quazar:

Diversify to multiple media types, my friend. If you backup those files onto another disk, then you are likely to solve this problem for the future.

BTW, I'm looking forward to Chapter 2.

Yeah, those USB 2.0 flashdisks are an amazing piece of technology. I love em.