Microsoft in the Poo...my thoughts

Rippen

Well, it seems that our old coporate giant of a friend was found guilty. What are some possible outcomes of this? If the DOJ breaks up Microsoft, does that mean that we'll have several different Windows clones running around before too long? Sheesh, wouldn't that be a tragedy: 15 different OS's that still don't work. IMHO, having different OSs would create total chaos for the computer industry. It would mean that programmers would have to code their software for the different types of OSs, thus making developing times longer, raising the price of the software when it finally hits retail. And there's no way in Hades that I'm gonna shell out 150 bucks for the Microbell Winux '01 for Quake 5 when it comes out. And there are truly no other viable alternatives for OSs in the PC world (excluding the MacOS, it doesn't count). Linux and BeOS are fine, but they don't provide the simple user interface that the everyday joe shmoe needs to get his work done. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Linux. I have it partitioned on my hard drive. But it's not going to ever take off and become a household name. Why? Because anything I can do on Linux I can do on Windows far easier (but at the same time less satisfying. All you Linux gurus know what I'm talking about.) Unfortunately, 98% of the computer users out there are not power users and would have a hell of a time trying to figure out Linux. I know I did/still am. Having one easy to use OS is like tylanol for the computer industry: sure, it works most of the time, but even when it doesn't, it's nice to know that it's there.

[Rippen gets off his box that says "Danger: Biohazard" and goes to play in the mud]

AHHHH THE SKY IS FALLING! STORE FOOD AND WATER AND KEEP A RADIO WITH A CHANGE OF FRESH BATTARIES BY YOU AT ALL TIMES! Or follow this link and calm your fears a bit.

http://www.cnbc.com/commentary/commentary_...sp?StoryID=8779

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

"Follow me if I advance, kill me if I retreat, avenge me if I die!"

quote:

Well, it seems that our old coporate giant of a friend was found guilty.

This wasn't a judgement, this was a finding of fact. It only states the Court's belief that Microsoft is a monopoly. Being a monopoly is not necessarily a bad thing -- it only violates anti-trust regulations if the company uses its monopoly power to unfairly stifle competition. The Court hasn't proved this yet, hence wishy-washy words like "could" and "might" in describing potential monopolistic behaviors that Microsoft might engage in.

Well, can you imagine what would happen if we were all forced to pack up, re-format our hard drives, and install a whole new operating system?

-Hell for developers

-Gamers messing themselves over the fact that the new OS probably doesn't have MS Plus

-90% of current apps and games probably won't run on it

Etc, etc

Hell, we could all end up with Macintoshes, and if we do, god forgive me for the rampage I'll end up going on if I have to play Half-Life at 5 FPS at 320x200... especially considering how I just blew $2100 on a whole new comp with a brand-spankin new 17' monitor..

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at www.tacticalplanet.com

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

err, family site and all Parias. I'm sure it just slipped in the heat of the moment.

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 11-09-1999).]

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-14312...003-201-1431262

Sheesh that thing is huge; hope it works. If not http://www.cnet.com and it's in the top banner for now. Interesting set of articles. Well the two I read were. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

I figure Microsoft has enough capital to relocate, buy a small country (legal and reasonably simple, according to the book "How to create your own country") and make monopolies legal there.

------------------

Commander Badgerius, GCV Diligence

On detached duty, GCV Calypso

ICQ 48801556

OMG, could it be? AM I actually feeling sorry for the ol' Mike'o'Soft? That would really suck, I really think having bunch of diffrenct OS is bad for the industry. I know I know WIN98 is not perfect but hey it works. All I really care is about my games. I Parias said the ol' goverment should stick with what they know about. Not that they know much in the first place. Damn system.

Some reports are speculating that Bill Gates will let the case drift until Bush is elected and hopefully, the Republicans will have a more favorable view of Microsoft. The thinking is that the Dems are unhappy with Gates because he hasn't been "spreading the wealth" like other rich people (i.e., lobbying, donating to causes, wining and dining and lining pockets, etc.).

LOL @ Spacephish!!!!!

My view: Nostradamus said the world would en with the second millenium.... MS falling down is just the first sign (LOL!). Y2K + MSFall .... time to brush up on machine code... eek.

No really now... the fact is: MS has the monopoly not only in the US but nearly all over the world. Virtually ANYTHING with a monitor and keyboard uses windows or an MS product nowadays... you cannot change that.

Claiming MS has been creating a monopoly and trying to bring them down is like a small nation going to the UN and whining that the "big nations" are being monopolistic!! Ridiculous! It's done, it works! Let it be.

Is the OS/2 still around? I remember it was an awesome OS back then :-).

Capitalism at its finest, love it or leave it, and if you leav it - take someone with you wink.gif Anybody remember ATT breakup and the IBM fiasco?

Preliminary Finding does not equate into guilt - at least not initially. The DOJ still needs to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, its case against MS.

My take - MS will pay fine and settle out of court. Some MS departments may be spun off into seperate (good joke) companies. MS CEO will not give up the WinXX source code.

Give me an OS that has as many applications and hardware support and I will jumpship in a heart beat. I do not think that the PC world will be reduced to the PC wars of the late 70's and early 80's.

Recent headlines in the news:

quote:

Gates Foundation gives $26 million to UNICEF - By Associated Press, 11/21/99 12:39

quote:

AP Monday November 8 11:48 PM ET -

Gates Hosts Democrat Fund-Raiser

[sung to the tune of New York, New York]

Start spreading the wealth...

I'm sharing today...

I want to be a part of it,

Bill Gates, Bill Gates...

Guest Ron Wallin

i'd jump ship too. In fact for what I do every day, BeOS is a better OS but they've got few software and hardware developers on board. And don't tell me Linux will fill the gap. It won't. It's unix and still requires a lot of work (perhaps more than winxx) and for right now, there's no BC on the MAC... So, where do you turn? Back into the happy arms of MS.

It's not Gates fault that he has such a huge hold on the market. It's the fault of the consumer for purchasing and the fault of the developer for not porting to other platforms... BeOS baby, it rocks but it doesn't have the millions to entice the masses.

------------------

Cmdr. Akira

ICV Nevermore

Spectre, Command Staff

Base Commander, The Dojo

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

quote:

Bill Gates To Fund D.C. Center

By Jim Abrams

Associated Press Writer

Thursday, April 13, 2000; 4:08 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON ÔÇôÔÇô Bill Gates' charitable foundation has pledged $10 million for what would be the biggest Capitol Hill construction project since the 19th century, a $265 million underground visitors center.

quote:

Microsoft donating $2.7 million to bridge digital divide for tribes

By Associated Press, 4/16/2000 22:05

SHIPROCK, N.M. (AP) Microsoft Corp. says it's donating more than $2.7 million in software and cash to help bridge the ''digital divide'' and economic disparity between Indian tribes and wealthier segments of society.