The Future.

Guest Dick Trickle

Guest Dick Trickle

What is the future of BC? There are a lot of games out there going in some extremely interesting dirrections. How will BC evolve?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dick Trickle

No, actually I am speaking of games in many genres. A whole big ass can of worms was opened after everyone found out how much money could be made on "massively multi-player" games after Everquest hit the shelves, and now everyone is jumping on the band wagon. I noticed that it didn't take BC very long to do the same. I am just wondering if BConline will be just another EQ wanna be, or will it stand out?

BCM? Won't stand out much? Someone's been overdosing on the Empirian Ale again.. smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Cheif Engineer, Starstation SSF

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

...I can't be bothered. The fact that you even compare EQ to a BC game, is proof positive that you must be on something stronger than EA. Its like saying that BC is a WC wannabe because they both take place in space. Or that noboby else should do MMPOG games because UO, EQ and AC are doing it.

Dick, do any of your posts have any sliver of sensibility whatsoever, or do you just spew the first thing that comes to mind? It would help to think first, then post.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 03-21-2000).]

Guest Dick Trickle

Hmmm...

OK, so does anyone out there know what BConline is going to be like? I have heard talk of arenas (I guess those are the different servers). Will the entire BC universe exist on each server like in EQ, or will it be broken up throughout the servers? I think that would make game play more interesting If you could play with everyone in one, huge, fragmented universe.

Imagine not everyone starting out as a commander (BTW shouldn't it be captain?) but starting out in boot camp and working your way up through the ranks. Then you have to decide which path to take. Do you go with the strategy side of the game and go on to officer's training? there you would move up the ladder until you get your own Battlecruiser. OR do you stay with more of the action side and be a soldier to be used in combat missions wheather they be infantry, armored, or air/space?

The only drawback I can see to the "all in one universe" scenario is that the servers could get overloaded in times of great war. I guess we will just have to hope for the right technology at the right time.

Guest Ondaderthad

quote:

Originally posted by Dick Trickle:

in one, huge, fragmented universe.

Then those of us living in more remote part of the world would miss on the action!

quote:

starting out in boot camp and working your way up through the ranks. .

Yea Right! start with nappies ! This is a game, not real life. It is better to start with some equipment.

Personnaly I got my Battlecruiser from Galcom biggrin.gif (with 1 minute to get away before being branded as an Insurgent)

------------------

ICV TOLKIEN

"and in the shadow bind them"

Cmdr Ondaderthad

aka. Ausie-frog

Somebody be on serious 'lude status. There be no comparing the BC universe (present and future products) to what is on the market today.

As to technology - it is availale today. Problem is that the BC Online not be ... yet that is biggrin.gif

TTFN

...one ring to rule them...

i post the first thing that comes to mind.

trickle are you mad? wink.gif start out from boot camp?? this isn't army men. eheh

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

Spectre Fleet

CEO, Sygan Star Station

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Guest macross

quote:

What is the future of BC?

Hmmm...I wonder when the movie is going to come out...I vote for Wesley Snipes as the mighty SC (but then I just finished watching my Blade DVD again... smile.gif )

Guest Dick Trickle

So no one here thinks that this game could evolve to more than just commanding battlecruisers? While you may have the patience to learn all of the intricacies of commanding. Not everyone has the time or the patience or even cares to learn. BUT they can still join the BC universe on a different level, as marines or fighter pilots for your battlecruiser. I think that this would vastly increase the popularity and sales of the series.

It could incorporate the best of several genres: space sim, FPS, and action strategy. Not only could you have command rolls on battlecruisers but also in fighter squadrons, FPS squads or even on planets in an action strategy format.

And for those who think I am mad for even suggesting the idea of a boot camp, maybe there should be some sort of commander competence course to proove that you really know how to handle your battlecruiser. That way all the "nappies" will be forced to spend the time and energy you have spent if they want to command. This will prevent space/time from being filled with newbie commanders.

Without newbie commanders there will be no one worth shooting at. Besides, one of the reasons that you can join the multiplayer games in the POV of a marine is so that people who don't want to hop right into a giant whoop-ass starship can still play...and have fun doing it! I haven't seen even ten games in the last five years that were both complicated enough to be challenging and fun. I mean, GTA was loads of fun but there wasn't much skill involved in mastering that game. BCM, however, will let you play how you most feel comfortable.

Anyways, there's no point in boot camp either. I would just practice at home till I had it down and then run through bootcamp in record time. It would most likely be a waste of programming. JMHO

------------------

Cmdr Chaos

Spectre Fleet

ICV Banshee

"Do it with a smile and a mad gleam in your eye."

Should've stated this earlier, so here goes...

quote:

"So no one here thinks that this game could evolve to more than just commanding battlecruisers? ..."

Actually BCM and beyond will due as ye be saying now IMO.

Made correction, cocking the d-cap to the side of me head. 'Tis quite the fashion craze in Khobar.

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 03-22-2000).]

Guest Dick Trickle

Maybe boot camp could be the SP game. Instead of calling it boot camp maybe I should have called it strategic training exercises.

Thanks Gallion. That's good stuff.

I remember reading about BCM somewherez and it said that there will be an add-on pack later on that will let you have a FPS type game on your BC, and it will let you clean up intruders and such. Will there be the same FPS on the planets and stations, or will it just be for the battlecruisers?

Gallion, which part of the multiplayer specs for BCM, was unclear? Those features will debute long before I even finalize the design for BC:3020AD, which, incidentally, may never happen considering that it will probably end up being BC Online anyway. I probably won't even do a stand-alone game again, once I've got my console game out of the way. With BC Online, I will get a steady income stream as well as a platform that I can constantly update with new features, worlds, assets etc, without having to design a new game from scratch.

Yes, you'll all get to give me $10.00 a month, before long, to put up with you lot (except for the beta testers of course). So, start saving. biggrin.gif

In BCM, you don't have to command a Battlecruiser if you don't want to. If you are piloting a cruiser, you don't have that much complexity, let alone playing as a trader, fighter pilot, marine etc. Weren't you paying any attention in class? Why do you think I'm ignoring Dick?

OK, who had the dunce hat last? Pass it on to Gallion.

"VORPAL: Which part of my post was in Portuguese?"

YESS!... FINALLY here you go dude, make sure to re-adjust the head strap...

wink.gif

Sounds like your making the most logical decission but that portal technology which allows for simultanious inside and outside viewing of the environment is a feature I'll miss not seeing in SP. Ah well, can't have EVERYTHING I guess smile.gif

Dunce cap worn with pride. As I stated it was and is IMO. And opinions are like arses, everyone has one and at times even makes oneself one.

Ya ok, I blew that one...of to the other forum to do me howework... biggrin.gif Fix me previous post toooooo

Don't worry Tac, I be sure that ye will gets ye hat back soon tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 03-23-2000).]

Guest Dick Trickle

I guess I have to clarify one of my questions. When I compared BC to EQ before I was not talking about game play. I was talking about the way the games worked. In EQ no matter what you do the world does not change around you. My question was (and still is) what will the BC online universe be like? Will it be dynamic, or will you only be able to alter the state of your opponents/comrades?

Don't you think it's funny that I am getting more info from him now that he is ignoring me.

$10.00 a month...

That is REALLY good to hear. A good game, affordable for online play...and sure to be PACKED with newbies all day! Heaven has come to Earth! biggrin.gif

Dick: Yer catching on (LOL)

Gallion! What you doing with my hat?

I'm taking this post back because it was just WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY Tooo long... besides I think Tac, who posted while I was typing, summed it up best =)

[This message has been edited by Vorpal (edited 03-23-2000).]

Guest Remo Williams

Nope SC your not alone in your confusion. Dick have you read the BCM mp handbook or the BC3K manual??? Almost everything you've posted to this thread is covered in them. Except that bootcamp idea hehe!! LOL