Very Angry Indeed...

Guest aramike01

Guest aramike01

Yes, I'm angry. Very angry.

Just today, my wife and I stepped off of our flight. We walked through the airport, telling inside-jokes and gleaming over our trip to Italy.

Laughing.

Smiling.

Mourning.

Upon our return to our home in West Allis (a Milwaukee suburb), we find our voicemail cluttered with over two-hundred messages; my wife's patients, my clients, my bosses, etc. After spending an hour of listening to such drivel, we went for some dinner, vowing to attempt to finish our trip into the messaging-unknown upon our return.

We return to our house, darkness filtering through the windows. A car nearly hits the broadside of my wife's LeSabre as we pull into the garage.

"Drunken driver," she mutters as I shift into park.

Once inside, my wife sits next to me; her arms wrapping me tightly as we return to the daunting task of checking our voice-mail. A few minutes into our duty, a female voice cluttered with urgency and dashed with routine flowed through the speakerphone and into our ears. She left no identity for herself. Only a phone number and extension was aquired.

Due to the area code of the number being 608 (Madison, WI), I decided to return the call immediately. Most of my family lives in Madison.

A hearty sounding receptionist answered. "Meriter Hospital, may I help you?"

Meriter Hospital?

Very angry indeed.

I gave the receptionist the extension and she promptly put me through to another receptionist. Go figure.

I identified myself to the new lady, who seemed all too chirpy for her surroundings. Suddenly, a coaxing triage nurse's voice broke through the silence brought on by my wait to speak to someone with a purpose.

"Sir, I'm afraid I have some terrible news for you."

Heart beating faster.

Very angry indeed.

"What happened?"

My wife's grip on my shoulders intensified. She could sense the urgency from my last statement.

"Sir, is there any way for you to come to Madison?"

"What the f**k happened," I demand.

"Sir, please. Try to calm down."

"I am calm," I half-shouted.

"Okay, well, ummm..." The nurses voice seemed shakey. Was she crying?

"...there was an accident a few days ago. Involving your mother, father, sister, and her husband."

"An accident!" I shouted. "Are they okay?"

"Ummm," a whimper, "the accident was fatal."

The accident was fatal.

The accident was fatal.

My mind heard these words over and over. My heart sank. A hole opened in my gut.

"They were hit by an intoxicated driver."

A moment. No, many moments. All silence. I could say nothing. Words would not form. I looked over at Angie. She knew something but nothing at the same time. What do I do?

Through the silence broke the nurse. "I'm sorry."

---------------------------------------------

So, in summary, Friday night I lost my family. And why did I lose them? I have not mourned. I have not cried.

I am only angry.

My sister, mother, father, brother-in-law, and my sister's unborn child were taken, no ripped, from my life.

All because someone didn't know when to say when.

Because someone didn't call a cab.

Because someone didn't take the keys.

Because someone wouldn't stop serving.

Because no one cared.

I am writing this right now out of anger. I want everyone to know that your actions or inactions may have a profound effect on someone. Someone real; living and breating real. Someone with a family. Someone with children. Someone with a brother or sister.

Someone please take the damn keys!

Someone would be alive if someone had.

Very angry indeed.

OUCH!

My highest sympathies.. oh man.. something like this to happen has REALLY gotta suck. People don't seem to really worry too much about drunk driving, untill a drunk person hits someone you care about. Definately understand why you're pissed.. ugh!

Once again, my best sympathies. I'm really not too sure on what else to say... man, now there's something to roll over in your head for awhile..

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 04-17-2000).]

Guest Ron Wallin

I am so very, very sorry, aramike.

I wish there was something that could be said to lessen what you and your wife are going through. There just isn't...

My condolences, aramike.

Aramike...

I don't know what to say... except that I'm very sorry about what happened.

I've read your post several times now.. and I still can't believe it...

Our deepest sympathies from my wife and I.

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

I know I hardly ever post, but Parias directed me here...

I know there's nothing I or anyone else can say that will probably be of much help, but I know we're all here to listen and talk.

I don't know what else I can say except that I'm here.

------------------

Robert Thomas Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

http://powerpub.net

"Leave the repairs to the techs. Leave the mass destruction to ME."

Me deepest condolences Aramike. I think everybody should try to stop the driver who's attempting to drive drunk, no matter if you know the driver or not! There's just too many innocent victims of these drunk killers in this world.

Pauli Pilvi

aka

------------------

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 26 Commander

2nd squadron "No quarter"

"They hold no quarter, they ask no quarter"

To lose a mother, father, brother-in-law, and your sister with child is a grave lost to any family and it all happens cause a drunk had to drive that night....

I've never had a drop in my life and for now on i will keep it that way and i request anyone who cares to take the keys from people who do drink and drive cause you can be that one person who can save a family and there loved ones.

May there souls rest soundly with our deeds

Aramike that is a tragedy. My sincere condolences to you and your family. I can't even begin to relate in any way as to what you must be going through so I wont pretend to try. I will only say, best wishes.

-V

Guest aramike01

Thank you all so very much for your sympathies. I appreciate them more than you know.

Right now, it's about 5AM and still I find sleep evasive. So I wanted to come here and finish what I began with my original post.

That anger in which I speak of is fueled by a newly discovered purpose. We all hear of the accidents. I'm sure that in some way, everyone here has been, at the very least, indirectly exposed to such tragedies. But how many of you can lay claim to actually doing something of them? How many of you work as the solution? And how many of you live as the problem?

Naturally, I'm not asking for names. Yet I am sure that a few of you who frequent this board have edged into the driver seat, knowing full well that you were to far-gone to safely do so. Hell, I have in the past for that matter.

I am also sure that many more of you have watched friends and relatives seat themselves behind the wheel, all the while doing nothing to stop it.

To, quite possibly, prevent a death.

Or many.

I am aware that many of you younger members will be faced with such decisions in the future. And many of you will make the wrong ones.

Hopefully, no one will have to be touched by such a tragic loss in order to do the right thing.

The part that is even more saddening lies with the person who was driving the vehicle that hit my family's minivan.

The drunk.

The murderer.

But the court won't see it as such, my lawyer advises. Especially considering that he has no prior criminal record. In other words, he has never been caught.

Realistically, according to my lawyer, he'll be sentenced to 10 years in prison and be free in 5.

One year per life lost.

Kinda makes you wonder about the value of life, doesn't it?

I'm done rambling. I truly, sincerely hope someone has learned something from this. Otherwise, it is all pointless rhetoric.

Aramike, I cannot imagine how terrible a time this is for you. I have been teetotal my whole life and intend to stay that way, and I am often called upon to be the driver when my family goes out. Although no-one in my family has been on the receiving end of such a tragedy, my mother often sees the result of such thoughtlessness, as she works in the casualty department of a large hospital.

I have often been appalled at the low value that the law seems to place on human life, especially because of the high value it seems to place on money. That man will have what he has done on his conscience for a lot longer than five years.

I know that the pain of this loss will never completely disappear. I can only pray that the healing process will begin, and that you do not remain a bitter man when it is time to move on, because bitterness will damage you and those you care about. If there is anything you feel I can do to help, then please just say, and I will do what I can.

Mike,

It is with the sincerest and deepest sympathy that I respond to your post. Mere words cannot ever erase the hurt and anguish that you now feel. I shall not even try at this moment but, rather, invite your hurt in my direction if it is possible. I've devoted the past 22 years of my life trying to rid the roads of such people who are selfish enough to not respect the rights of others. How could they and still get behind a deadly weapon such as an automobile in a deminished capacity? The answer is that they don't. I invite each and every one of you out there reading this post to take up the gauntlet against Drunk Drivers. If you see one, Phone the Highway Patrol. If you see one about to get behind the wheel of an automobile, don't wait for him to repeat such incidents as above. Sometime he certainly will. It's a given fact that it's going to happen. Only waiting for that moment. Now step up to the plate people. It's time to be counted. I'm tired of seeing good people die too far before their time.

Again, Mike, My Profound Sympathies and if I can help, "Say the word!"

Rattler

Mike,

I cant even come close to trying to understand how you are feeling about this now, but I can relate to your anger and after reading your words, it's made me think back to more youthful times where I have put myself, and others at risk by getting behind the wheel in a less than fit state. Fortunately in my case, I wised up real fast as to the possible implications of my actions, and have never repeated my prior foolishness.

All I can say now, is that I'm deeply sorry about what happened, and if theres anything myself, or any of us here can do to help in any small way, you need only ask.

Your friend,

Stacy Brain

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

Mike,

I am very sorry, so very sorry.

It is truly sick how one man, who desides to drive drunk, can effect a whole family so much. I, being under age, have never had alcohol, or driven for that matter. I don't plan on drinking, as nothing good comes of it. Yeah, maybe a short buzz, and a good time with your friends, but how does that compare to five innocent lives?

Rattler, I will take up the call, and stand against drunk drivers. If even one life can be saved by my actions, rather than inactions, it makes a world of difference.

Again, Mike, I am very sorry, and would like to help anyway that I can. Please let me know if I can help.

William Ramsay, Jr.

I don't know what to say. It always a horrible thing when we loose someone we love. I can't express in words my regret at your loss. I'm very sorry for what you must be going through. Our thoughts and prayers extend out to you.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

aramike, my deepest condolences. I can't imagine, nor do I wish to imagine, what such a loss feels like. Whenever I'm down, I like to recall this little poem that goes something like this:

May the road rise up to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your shoulders,

And the rain fall soft upon your fields.

But until we meet again

May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

-An Irish Blessing

------------------

Cmdr. Ross "Rippen" Banta

GCV Olympus Belle

*1st Squadron, *Hell Hounds

Stationed, *Starbase Hades

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"

ICQ# 62819463 EST

=WRAITH FLEET=

Mike,

I would like give you my deepest condolences on your loss. I doubt that there is anything that can really asuage your grief from such a shattering loss. You don't need to worry about the drunk. Even after his prison sentence, he will have to own up on Judgement Day. No matter what happens, justice is always served, one way or another. If you ever need anything, your friends will always be here for you.

Sincerely,

Chris (aka Somerset)

I can't exactly put it in to any better words other than I am very sorry for what has happened. If you need anything, I believe I speak for everyone when I say that we'd be glad to help out.

Take care,

Daniel Sedlacek