BCM multiplayer ranking

Supreme Cmdr

I don't have a clue how I'm going to do it. I had planned to have the master server here at 3000ad.com and then have all servers (assuming I let people setup their own servers, instead of using Heat exclusively) report to it, but I'm undecided as to how to actually handle the ranking. Like Ron said, having it done in real-time will probably have its drawbacks. Right now, all I'm interested in are player name, handle, kills, rank, location. The real question is, how often to update the ranking. Maybe weekly?

I think weekly would be just fine SC. As you were saying though, the updates would have to come from VERY Reliable sources. Tracking all these Kills, etc is gonna be a real chore though. I hope to work one of the 3000A.D. Servers if you find me worthy, but I'll also run games from home if/when I'm online and not busy in the other servers. I know that there are already Fleet Leaders and Prominent Commanders out there already planning to do the same if given the opportunity. Just let us know if/when you want us to assist.

Thanks,

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well! - Josh Billings

I'm a little confused about the purpose of MP rankings (I've never played on any multi-player sites, so I have no experience in this area).

Is the purpose to create an "Arena" where everyone dukes it out and the person with the highest rank reigns supreme? That seems to go against the purpose of BC3K and fleets as I understand it.

I thought the purpose of fleets was to coordinate activities, defend territory, perform covert operations, stage invasions, etc. In other words, role-play a simulated military branch in a simulated universe. If this is the case, then fleet players assigned to lowly sentry duty in the boonies will never get the MP rankings that front-line troops will get. Also, how will a marinie's kill compare with a cruiser commander's kill?

Perhaps there should be no MP ranking as we know it. Perhaps we should leave it to fleet commanders to promote their troops as gameplay warrants? Maybe there are other stats that can be captured to give others a "profile" of a player? I'm playing a solitaire boardgame right now that has role-playing aspects to it (wild west gunfighting), which uses attributes like RESPECT and FEAR. Another game uses FAME and NOTORIETY. The fantasy genre must have all sorts of characteristics that can be drawn upon.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use simple to obtain stats to derive more complex characteristics in an offline process. For instance, saving only kill (what was killed, datetime of kill, where killed), we could determine FEAR (many kills of lesser enemies in a short timeframe), RESPECT (many kills of equal or larger enemies in a short timeframe), FAME (many kills of enemies deep in enemy territory), low RESPECT or FEAR (many friendly kills in area where you are).

I'm just brainstorming here. Bottom line is: What is the purpose of MP rankings?

Weekly is fine SC. cool.gif

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

*3rd squadron, Marauder Wing

Stationed, Starbase Fenrir

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

I have a simple question, what's wrong with the current point/medals system? If you're worried about bogus stats, just regulate how they are distributed. Or make them tougher to earn.

Cmdr Ledge Rock

it could also just update when a player logs on. just my worthless 2 cents.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.