Question for the SC

Martin Pelletier

Since you have a 3Dfx v5 5500 SC, will the FSAA make BCM more enjoyable or this card won't make a difference?

I'm still undecided between a Geforce or a V5 biggrin.gif

I don't want take up to much of your time SC. But If you have time, I would like to hear what video card you like the most.

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

You may want to check out the reviews of the V5 so that you know exactly what FSAA is. It is not a speed enhancement. It is a visual enhancement and one that sacrifices speed depending on the resolution and setting.

So, enjoyable? Dunno. Its looks fine here. biggrin.gif

When in doubt, get a V5

I agree with you there SC. I am tickled pink with my Voodoo5 doll. With the exception to one annoying quirk, the V5 outperforms the GeForced based cards IMO.

I base this on actual comparision between 3d Prohet DDR-DVI and the Voodoo5 5500. The 3d Prophet is a good card but the V5 gives the better eye candy and visual stimuli IMO. I cannot justify spending the additional $50 for a GeForce 2 based card over the cost of the Voodoo5 5500; i.e. 3D Prophet 2.

The choice I'd make would be the V5-5500 but if ye can wait some and have a decent sized piggy bank the V5-6000 is coming soon. Yep, I am going to get one of those too.

TTFN

Edit note - correct cost error, Thanks Parias cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 06-27-2000).]

Gallion, I might be a 3dfx fanboy, but alas, I must do this..

*Whips out patented big fat laser gun and waves it around the room*

Tell me where the hell you found a GeForce 2 for $50! Or the walls get it! The walls I tell you! UWA HAHAHAHA!

Erm, seriously though, where DID you find a GeForce 2 for such a cheap price? Or is that just a typo? smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 06-27-2000).]

hmmmm....Geforce 2 for $50. Never seen that nor was I implying that was the cost. Typo'd that one big time. Should read the additional $50. The additional being the base price for the Voodoo5 5500 card.

Sorry for this blatant economical misrepresentation eek.gif

TTFN

I'm running a V5 5500 and I frigin' wuv dis wittle card wit all de wuv my big fwuffy heart can dish out. It's bitchin'.

The FSAA works better in some games then others. I can crank it up to 4x FSAA at 1024x768 in Half-Life and run smoooot, but it chokes at even 2X FSAA in Dues Ex (AWESOMEST FRIGIN FIRST PERSON GAME IN A LONG TIME BY THE WAY). No biggie just turn off the FSAA for that game and it runs fast... and frame rates?? Let me tell you about frame rates... there's like, alot of em and stuff. Plus the card probably has the highest compatability of any 3-D card out there. My GeForce 1 didn't run Unreal engined games very well and I hear they're having problems with Dues Ex. Not my card baby... compatibility is a good thing. =)

PS I already talked one of my friends into buying my V5 5500 off me (for more then $50 wink.gif ) when the 6000 comes out... OOOHHHH YEAHHHH... I'm going to hardwire my system so that flames shoot out the sides when the 3DFX splash screen appears!! MUWWAAHAHHAHA!

ok I'm just kidding about the flame thing.

[This message has been edited by Vorpal (edited 06-27-2000).]

I have a PIII700, but I've seen it on a another friend's 500 and it ran just fine (Half-Life and Counter Strike at least). You may end up using 2X FSAA for most stuff, but it's still a damn fine card.