All quiet once again ....

Blades

.... so I thought I'd start up another pointless Get To Know You thread to pass the time.

So gang, heres the thing. What is it you all do for a living? Im assuming that most of us here are either students, or working in the IT industry. Tis a fair assumption that, given the fact that most of us appear to be in the higher IQ bracket than our less evolved cousins on other forums. No, no, I wont say no more.

So do tell, and include if possible your job titles, and chief responsabilities. It might also give the fleet commanders among us a better understanding of what each of our people are capable of in an organisational role.

See? There is method to my maddness. smile.gif

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

COMMANDING OFFICER, ORION FLEET

COMMANDER, ORION STATION

T.B.G DAYWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV-TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen And Country'

Well... I'm a Production Supervisor at an elevator and dumbwaiter factory just outside of Chicago. I'm responsible for scheduling all the work in the factory (for about 40 people) and seeing that it gets done right and on time. I also spend some time helping out on the shop floor when needed, mainly testing PLC controllers in the electrical department, since this was where I worked prior to going into management.

I have a very cool boss who is into computer games. We spend almost every lunch hour shooting each other along with the engineers and draftsmen in our Unreal Tournament Lan games. Good stress management!! biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

[This message has been edited by Andergum (edited 07-17-2000).]

Why sure Blades, it may also give a nice introspective commander insight into a future oponent. > I Read sci-fi (mostly space type), play with my kids, and manage my family. I've played lots of computer games--Command and Conqor, Panzer Commander, Panzer General, Master of Orion series, Command HQ, Outpost 1 & 2, Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Mech Commander, and a bunch of others. biggrin.gif

BTW, if anyone wants a second opinion about me email my wife at [email protected] . If you email her I suggest that you don't make any negative unsupported comments about me to her. She's REAL protective and her evil twin comes out when people try to backstab me. biggrin.gif

Dang, I keep writing these books! I guess I've said enough for now. TTFN

------------------

Cmdr. Wold

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV Drakr

"Do or do not, there is no try"

Hello,

I'm a lawyer (ducks and covers head).

For the past several years, I have worked as a case researcher. Recently I accepted a job as an assistant D.A.: look out world!

------------------

------------------

Commander Jenna DeMarche

GCV Liberty

Prime fleet

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, and the lesson afterwards."

hmmm.... I'm just the guy going into college. No current job responsibilities, since I don't have a job frown.gif I like to play computer games, mainly strategy, though I do enjoy a few sims and FPS's. I also enjoy 3D modeling and working with graphics. I think that covers everything smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

No info on you either Gallion *grin*

Me? Im 22, in college persuing an International Studies degree, I used to work as a Technical Support Rep. for Gateway (yeah, i'm the guy on the phone who told you what you did wrong hehe biggrin.gif ), I am into simulators and strategy games (WW2 sim "Aces High", and Civilization type of games).

Andergum: I wish my boss was like yours... he gave us a little plastic squiggly thing to release stress... which erupted into a call floor floor of plastic thingys after the Big Plastic Thingy fight... I wont go into that (but heck it did relieve stress!).

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 07-17-2000).]

I am student in my junior year of high school. I work part time as a counsellor for younger children which teaches extreme amounts of patience. I also work in construction and deconstruction with my Dad's company. I like EXTREMELY realistic flight simulators and strategy games.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

Mwahaha. I'm 18 and I work at a movie theatre... I could have gotten in to see the X-men for FREE but unfortunatly my daddy thinks that I shouldn't be out at One in the morning walking around with my younger sister. I'm a martial artist for crying out loud!

Anyway I'm hoping to go to the Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD) and if I don't get in I plan to go work for a comic book company, then open my own. (That's long term btw)

I also plan to overthrow Blades and take over Orion. Mwahahahaaha!

Anywho, I'm probably blabbing so I'll say tata for now. biggrin.gif

------------------

AKUMA MINAKO

ORION FLEET

GCV- TENCHI

DETERRENCE BATTLE GROUP

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"War is the plague of Mankind, created by Mankind."

For me, I was working for a company that does Web portals. I was responsible for programming Perl scripts with MySql. I was also programming some in-house applications in Delphi (I'm quite good in Delphi).

Our current project was for the furniture market at www.info-meubles.com . But we had some money problems and now, we have to close.

I like games that I can command a battleship. Hehehe That's why I liked Starflight, Carrier Command (Ho god I still have that) I-War, Klingon Academy, and the best of all game: BattleCruiser 3000. Can't wait for BCM.

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

-Retired Chief Warrant Officer, USN

-Current Day Job is Field Service Engineer for well known Defense Agency. Requires travel. wink.gif"><P>Can

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Still Crazy after all these years!"

Well, I was planning on tellin you all about my work related activities as soon as I got back from said work in the evening. So keep your pants on people. smile.gif

Anyway, I have been many things in my years as one of the world work force. I have been a bartender, an office worker, an L.A.R.P event organiser, a Vaccume cleaner salesman (Very brief that) not to mention a production operative and for the last few years, an IT engineer.

Ok, I say IT engineer, but that doesnt really tell you what I do. You see, Im a bit of a jack of all trades. I've been a software developer, first line supt engineer, field engineer (That was exceptional fun), web developer and network administrator.

Most recently, I have been doing a lot of freelance contract work, mostly in network engineering. Basically, I fleece businesses for all I can and get drunk on the profits. I'm also working a few more hours than I should in IT sales on a Large USAF base in the UK.

Apart from that, Im busy being a compulsive womaniser and am involved in several online projects (Most notably BC3K, of course) not to mention putting together a Talk Radio webcast show for my second internet passion, IRC. I also write when I get the chance, go out to clubs and search for the missing part of my life. Namely a wife. smile.gif

Theres more, but you're probably bored with me already.

That do ya gang?

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

COMMANDING OFFICER, ORION FLEET

COMMANDER, ORION STATION

T.B.G DAYWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV-TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen And Country'

Guest aramike01

I'm a building maintenence manager for a contractor company. We work at places like Milw. County Stadium (Milw. Brewers), Bradley Center (Milw. Bucks), Safeco Field (Seattle Mariners), Turner Field (Atlanta Braves), Enron Field (Astros), Oriole Park, Ravens' Stadium, the list goes on. Primarily my company runs the day to day maintenence of those stadiums and arenas. I'm in charge of at least 50 and up to 150 employees. Next year, when Miller Park opens, we intend upon increasing our staff to 300 employees.

Oh yeah, and I'm a writer for several non-profit, charitable publications. I love to rant! wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 07-17-2000).]

Before college it was Software etc for about 5 years (back when they sold Amiga and Atari ST software =), now I've just got done working my first corporate job. I worked for 4 1/2 years at a company that most IT folk will probably know called Network Appliance.

I started as a temp for a month doing diagnostic testing on mother boards and SCSI cards, but I was kept on and moved up to IT and then finally I was running a lab single handedly for the training department's 2 class rooms and doing pre-configurations and set ups for road classes.

Right now I'm on the tail end of my own little vacation (Had 6 weeks vacation pay when I left). I'm getting ready to start shopping around for my next fun start up =)

I've been playing computer games for as long as they've existed. My first real computer game (Atari 400) was Ultima 2. I generaly play FPS, RTS, fantasy RP (pretty much just the AD&D and Diablo games) and space combat games. I also play LAN games with a pretty hard core group of gamers (some have been in the bizz).

This is also the only forum you'll find me posting to. I may go back to posting to the Babylon 5 game's forum at some point though.

------------------

Commander Ramius

GCV Black Star

1'st Squadron, *Marauder Wing

Stationed, Fenrir Starbase

"Liberate tetute mae. Ex e ferris"

PST

=Wraith Fleet=

Some of you might have noticed my earlier posts on other threads that I was job-hunting. In response to this thread it is my pleasure to annouce that I'm employed! Newly hired by an east coast DSL ISP to troubleshoot connectivity in the Network Operations Center. I have a Computer Science Degree and am a Certified Novell Administrator. (4.x) I was out of the loop for nearly 6 months, and MAN don't it feel good to be back! Benefits include free DSL! (I'm lookin' forward to that...) It should be installed just 'bout the time BCM is released. I'll be ready to rock!

------------------

Commander Ledge Rock

GCV Computron

ICQ 68356179 EST

I'm employed by the Federal Bureau of Prisons as a Paint Supervisor for a medium security prison...ahem..institution. I have a crew of 15+ inmates and my responsiblity is keeping the place painted on a yearly schedule. I also have an inmate sprayer who finishes the different types of products coming out from the Carpentry shop.

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

Heh, what Eclipse said. Except the part about 3-d modeling and graphics. Born to play space sims. And no, I'm not into the IT industry and will never be. I took a 'puter class and and my professor said to me, "Their just stupid machines." Yup that's all they are but I enjoy using them anyway hehe. I'm possibly entering the accounting field and follow my dad's footsteps.

------------------

"Live forever apes!."

Cmdr. Kron

Spectre Fleet

ICV Vanguard

hehehe...well said Blades, though ye should watch out fer what ye catch in them thar pubs.

Currently a member of the greatest military force that this planet has ever seen and working on that next promotion and payraise to PFC cool.gif I am also a Jack-of-all-Trades in the Communications, Telecommunications (transmissions and switchboards), and IT fields; Satellite, Fiber Optic, Microwave (tropo, SHF, VHF, etc.), AM, FM, and HF transmissions systems; Sys Admin, Net Admin, PC support, etc. Done some installation work here and there - that was fun and made some $$ biggrin.gif

Hobbies include crashing and restoring various network and computer systems; Building and frying computer systems; computer graphics; computer gaming (I refuse to call them video games); and anything else that may catch me fancy.

Current project - get my VooDoo5 doll to work with BC3K

TTFN

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

*1st Squadron, *Corsair Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Cerberus

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270, EST (GMT-5)

=Wraith Fleet=

Second in Command, Wraith Fleet

Bushi of the Dragon Council

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 07-17-2000).]

Greetings,

I do Technical Support for Cisco Systems IPTV, a quality IP video streaming product in Salt Lake City Utah.

The rest of the time I play games..... smile.gif

MH

------------------

- Major Havoc, Official BC3k Tester since 10/96. Commander GCV: Hell's Heart

- MajHavoc in online Games

[This message has been edited by Major Havoc (edited 07-17-2000).]

Well, I am part of the Finance Department of a major Financial Institution. I handle the Corporation's Fixed Assets, although, I am possible moving to an IT positon, should one come available. That's right, I am tired of playing with numbers, and now want to play with bits and bytes. Other than that, I am too a PC Gamer.

smile.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG 'GMAN' MILLER

ORION FLEET

FLEET EXECUTIVE OFFICER

T.B.G. NIGHTWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Well, I'm definitely impressed here gentlemen. That Notorious poster (ensign???) Major Havoc doesn't often post up here. He's one of the original Testers on this project. wink.gif Give him plenty of room Commanders and don't be fooled by that Newbie look! cool.gif He's forgotten more about this game than most of us have learned. biggrin.gif

Nice to see you again Major, "Welcome Back!"

(Salute)

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Still Crazy after all these years!"

Heh heh, isn't there a spot in everyone's preferences where this goes. Anyway, I'm a writer. My main duties are to sit in this uncomfortable chair, aimlessly trying to find different ways of saying "he/she said" while enjoying a glass full of Pepsi in my favorite mug (which, might I add, appears to be indestructable).

When my characters begin to annoy me I go and play BC3000AD where I give the orders. I know that sounds a little strange but your not a writer if you ain't just a little crazy. =)

------------------

Commander Zeke Stone,

UCV Guardian - "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"

**Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job** -- Douglas Adams

Hi,

I work for a small industrial company (about 200 employees), doing all IT related stuff, and being responsible for it. That makes me CIO I guess, heh. wink.gif

In my free time, I go out, or play games. Addicted to computers since I was 12, some 18 years ago. Started with a VIC 20. (Anyone remembers that thingie? biggrin.gif)

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Prime Fleet

Dragon - Order of Jade Dragon

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

I'm a Trader on Italian Equity market for a large US Investment Bank. But I love computers and programming (Cmdr. Joe Gudihl I started with a VIC20 too!!!!). I like also to create web pages (for me or friends). I'm 31 years old, live in Italy, and spent one year in US where I graduate from High School (Winterset IOWA, do not ask me why in IOWA!!!!). Oh.... well last thing... going to get married Sept. 30th (hope she will let me command my GCV Artemis after the marriage!!!!) Eh eh eh eh.

------------------

Cmdr. Stephanos Anghelos

GCV-Artemis

Prime Fleet