Spiking the charts..

Supreme Cmdr

OK, the Usual Suspects are it again. Those of you familiar with the on-going flamewar, will recognize the familiar traits from Louis (the kid whose dossier you will find at www.3000ad.com/temp/louisJM.zip) Allan Parent, ryu-dog and co, spiking the reviews charts at the link below, with bogus reviews.

I have since spoken to the CEO of Consumer Review (the owners of pcjr.com) and they have a policy of weeding out bogus reviews etc. They are looking into the matter.

On the matter of Lisa's email being posted on a public forum, it will be removed and that issue is now closed.

So, since you're all bored waiting for BCM, go to the link below and post your honest reviews of your gaming experiences with and prevent those bozos from spiking the charts with bogus information. Am going to be reading them, so any over-the-top reviews from anyone and you're likely to get a spanking. biggrin.gif And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you are.

http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/classic_simula...10.asp?RVNum=-1

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 07-25-2000).]

I'll get crackin on mine now... hmph, can't simply put in "A hell of a lot" for the "hours played" field.. it's not like I had some kind of stopwatch with me or something!

Wow though, that "Louis" guy seems like quite a character.. I'm not normally one to tell another to get a life, but seriously, it seemed like this guy made it his life purpose to be an utter ass.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Been there and posted as Vaaish, the name I use prettymuch everywhere else now.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Mine's there (spelling errors and all), though I'de have to say the detractor (John Anderson) who posted before me twisted what you said in this thread around quite a bit.

Cmdr Greg Miller, reporting for duty, Sir!

smile.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG 'GMAN' MILLER

ORION FLEET

FLEET EXECUTIVE OFFICER

T.B.G. NIGHTWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Just ignore them. I like how they're falling over themselves already. Talk about pulling strings. It never ceases to amaze me just how much power I wield over my detractors. I mean, who else on this planet can command such a dedicated bunch who spend every waking moment, coming up with new and inventive methods of getting my attention and annoying me - to no avail.

I particularly chuckled at the review from Peter Torken. Never been registered here. Doesn't even appear in our reg database, not even with an IP search (taken from the review), yet, he claims he was forced. That was too funny. Same as John Andersen. Seeing that neither fool is registered here, I don't see how my post asking real gamers to post their review, applies to them. Of course it doesn't - its just another pathetic spin that just gets funnier.

And of course, deliquent Louis, posted twice, just in case we missed the first one. This is too funny. I feel like a puppet master to the detractors. Or better yet, head Lemming. biggrin.gif

Think they're pissed now? Just wait until BCM gets released. Nothing pisses off a detractor like progress and BC3K v2.0x was just the beginning. Just wait. If someone doesn't go to jail by the of the year, it'll be a miracle.

I was going to go over there and give them an honest evaluation of the game but it looks like you guys have succeeded in twisting their knickers up so tight that they might actually start spamming us if they get too many more disagreeing reviews with their views and beliefs. Thusly, I won't bother with it this time. I don't know where they come off with some of their information and how they actually are rating BC3K anyway. If they took the time to actually evaluate the game then they would have stipulated V2.0 Release and not keep harping about V1.0. It's purely a loaded and marked deck and I refuse to play at that table. Plain and simple. By the way, I would honestly have given BC3K V2.0-2.09 the following ratings:

Overall: 4.0

Gameplay: 4.0

Graphics: 3dfx-3.5 (because of what I've seen here and what is to come in BCM)

Non-3dfx- 2.0 (again for the same reason)

Sound: 2.0 (I turn off the Midi and use the crew sound to judge how the game is going and what I'm doing right and wrong. Great tool I might add. Low mark on Sound is because of the Midi) wink.gif

Now that's honest! How do I like the game? Some Brave, soon to be Dead, Soul just come and try to take it away from me! biggrin.gif

By the way, for whomever the individuals over here are that are passing out the word that Derek has threatened them if they didn't go over there and post, You speak false statements and don't deserve to be involved in such a great community. Take your toys and go home! mad.gif

Rattler

Guest aramike01

Did my duty as a gamer! I like how those people rate all objective reviews as not being helpful. Obviously they're only interested in the dirt.

Losers.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Okay, my heart felt viewpoint is in there. I bit my tounge (blood oozing...may need stitches) as far as some of the other posts went but....some slipped through.

------------------

Cmdr. Wold

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV Drakr

"Do or do not, there is no try!"

Guest Commander Hamblin

A few quotes from my review.

quote:

Hmm, let's see here. If I post up a good review, I'm obviously one of Derek Smart's "fanatical defenders", hmm? Or, if I hate the game, I'm one of his "fanatical detractors". So, there is absolutely NO way I can actually post up my opinion without being lumped into one of these two categories?

Has anyone else noticed this? frown.gif So, it simply can't be that I just enjoy the game simply because I enjoy playing games? confused.gif

quote:

I am a person who seems to enjoy all type of games, from FPS's to RPG's to RTS's and TBS's (Turn Based Strategy). So, when playing a game like this, it appeals to me simply because I enjoy playing games. I don't think there's anything more that needs to be said.

My entire review could be summarised by that one paragraph. I enjoy games, therefore, if the game is good enough...if it entertains me sufficiently, I will enjoy it, regardless of genre. It's that simple. And this game is good enough. It entertains me sufficiently. I suppose I'm childlike in that way. I just enjoy anything if it entertains me. I don't probe too deeply into anything, I don't notice faults or errors and so forth.

------------------

COMMANDER JAMES HAMBLIN

ORION FLEET

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING COMMANDER

GCV GALATEA.

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Good work, Commander. In the future, if I have any questions about mating behaviour, I'll know where to go - Captain Kathryn Janeway.

You seem to have alot of "FANS" out there Derek. Yes the game had bugs but you supported the game and that is what counts. I think it is unfair to compare this game to the games that are coming out now. There have been alot of advancements in the technology of computers and programming. Lets see what happens when BCM comes out and run the comparisons again. I find it funny that your "FANS" are trying so hard to knock you down, they'll probably be the first in line to get BCM when it goes gold. I do feel that the graphics are awesome concidering that this title was released in 1996. Keep copies of your "FANS" reviews as your incentive.

------------------

rgordon434

heh, yep. They're pissed because I refuse to be beat.

As for the reviews, Akira, I didn't know you were in Hawaii. LOL!! You need to go and take a look at that impersonator.

Parias, I didn't want that un-related crap being linked back here, so I killed your last post. Sorry.

Yep, that's me. I'm currently in Hawaii enjoying the surf and turf. I didn't think you all would be jealous enough so I posted that most eloquent of reviews.

I see it garnered the expected response.

I find it sad, though, that I must lower my usual level of writing to get your atention, SC. I find it extremely sad too that I'm not in Hawaii...

Oh well, I must be schizophrenic, because I sure don't remember going to Hawaii. Damnit, I wish I did smile.gif

Ron > Who wrote this?

Ron2 > You did, idiot!

Ron > Who? I'm no the idiot, you are!

Ron2 > Nuh, uh, it's not me. You must be one of Blade's lemmings!

Ron > Lemming? Is that an animal from Hawaii? I know you went there...

------------------

Captain Ron

Paradise

Hawaii

------------------

Flt. Cmdr. Akira

Spectre

ICV-Nevermore

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

[This message has been edited by Akira (edited 07-27-2000).]

Gotcha and understood SC, I just finished reading all the posts on there.. like I always say, the gaming community is a pack of rabid wolves.

Akira: Hahah!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Well, I might have slipped a little. After having "Read the Room" I decided that maybe "Uncle Rattler" might just as well sit in on a hand over at the Long Branch! Go check it out. Hope I didn't piss them off too badly over there but if I did, too bad!

Sorry SC, I gotta call 'em like I see 'em! You and this crew wouldn't respect me if I didn't. Hope I did Ok!

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Bad? You ain't seen BAD, But WE'RE Coming!

Since I wasn't doing anything else, I wrote up a review as well. I tried to be as honest as possible and look at it from the perspective of someone who wasn't sure about buying the game, and what kind of people I think would enjoy it. Oh, I should post more...

------------------

Robert Thomas Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

http://powerpub.net

"Leave the repairs to the techs. Leave the mass destruction to ME."

I should have mentioned it in the review, but the reason I gave gameplay a 3 was because of the difficulty of the interface. Oops. Now if I were just allowed to edit the stupid thing... Oh well, they're just numbers. The review(s) speak for themselves.

And I feel like such an idiot for hitting "Reply w/ Quote" on here (explaining this second message) rather than "edit post." Hehe.

[This message has been edited by R. T. Maxwell (edited 07-28-2000).]

Guest aramike01

I sent an email to the operators of that site. It went as follows:

quote:

To whom it may concern:

I'm writing this email with a measure of dismay and, quite frankly, a lack of confidence in your service regarding it's influence upon my future buying decisions.

Case in point, I direct your attention here:

This kind of insight-lacking, purposeless rabble appears to be condoned on your site. As a member of the Battlecruiser fan base, I'm not only offended by the comments which are made toward us (that would appear to have nothing to do with the game itself) and the complete lack of information provided in a good portion of the reviews. It appears that the review area has turned into nothing more than a "Get Derek Smart" public bashing forum.

It's a complete shame to see that your site allows such drivel with no purpose to be included within. Your site has a good and fundamentally sound premise; reviews written by GAMERS. But for some reason or another, this behavior, which is only detrimental to the users of your service, has been allowed to continue.

I'd like to think that this is not acceptable at your site. Please tell me such, otherwise I will be forced to not visit again.

Sincerely,

Michael Walters

The following is the response I received:

quote:

Dear Michael,

I'm sorry to hear you're losing confidence in our service. Deciding whether to remove a review is always a very difficult decision. If we ever remove a review that the reviewer, or even worse the commnunity, feels should have stayed online, then we will lose the trust of our community. That trust is paramount to our service.

I believe it is much easier to lose the trust of the community from removing a review than leaving one online. If we remove a review, we have made a decision for our community regarding what content is appropriate. And inevitably, we will make some wrong decisions. If we leave a review online, the community themselves decide whether the review is worthy of attention and respect. And they can look at the "helpfulness" ratings to help them make that decision.

In the case of BC3K, the reviews have been so polarized that we feel the best service we could provide our community is to leave all that content online. Then the researcher can decide which reviews to believe after reading those from both supporters and detractors. The "review ratings" should again help the researcher make that decision.

Regarding reviews that are "get Derek Smart" reviews, please point them out to us. We solicit reviews that discuss the game, not the design team behind the game. If there are any reviews in there that discuss Derek instead of the game, I would appreciate a heads-up.

Sincerely

-Eric

Obviously the operators failed to even go to the URL I provided. Eric talks of the review rating system, which has been spiked even worse than the reviews. Had he bothered to look the review page up, he would've realized that any honest review had been rated a (1), in the interest of the detractors' flame war.

So what is left is a couple of options:

1- Voice your concerns. You can contact Eric at [email protected] . Perhaps if he finds his inbox flooded with angry letters concerning the poor quality of the reviews in question, he may actually look them up/

2- This option would require everyone's involvement. If PC Gamer Review were to recieve a large amount of email stating the intention to boycott the site because of the worthless drivel being allowed, they may consider keeping tabs on their site, or perhaps even investigating the concerns of gamers.

As soon as I can get into the site (appears to be down at the moment), I intent to direct his attention to the flame war within.

I'll keep you all posted.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

Guest aramike01

Update-

I just sent the following email:

quote:

Dear Eric,

I was considering going to your site and picking out the reviews in question, but, upon review, I find it a worthless gesture. I would think that you, as an operator of the site, would do so, rather than task the person bringing the complaint to your attention.

I direct your attention to the review written by "Commander Akira". First off, this person not only impersonated a well-established member of our community, he brought false claims of our community to the table. Obviously you would've noticed this had you bothered to investigate my email. The first line of the review is, "Screw you, Derek". That doesn't speak very well for the integrity of your online service, and some parents may not want their children exposed to that ridiculous babble.

Also, you mentioned the review ratings. Again, had you taken a look at the review page you would have found this system meaningless. The detractors have taken all credibility from the reviews and have "spiked" this system as well, solely in the interests of their "war" against Dr. Smart.

I urge you to take a closer look and reconsider your stance. I understand that you wouldn't want to remove reviews that others would have wanted to stay, but this page is turning into a flame war, with only the detractors doing the shooting. The supporters appear to have posted honest and civil reviews, in contrast.

Consider the trust of your community, for a moment. How paramount is the trust of the few members who would want those "flames" to remain as opposed to the integrity of your service? Those persons not only make a mockery of the game, it's fans and developers, but they also make a mockery of your service by turning it into a battlefield.

So I ask, look closely and weed out the purposeless reviews. I don't believe that any member of our community has a problem with a poor review, just a problem with being insulted.

Thank you,

Michael Walters

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

I too have emailed Eric, though not quite with the persuasive wording that aramike has managed. But then again, my education was down a different track. smile.gif

If anyone wants to know what I sent Eric let me know and I can email you a copy.

------------------

Cmdr. Wold

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV Drakr

"Do or do not, there is no try!"

Guest aramike01

Thanks, Shannon, Wording is wording, though, so long as the point's stress, everything's OK.

If anyone else does, just try and keep it civil, please. We're not on the flamers' level; we're above.