Your special pointer

Whisper

Just killing time 'till BCM... smile.gif

Went to one of those oversized office supply stores the other day, and I happened to notice the were selling these wee little track balls shaped like a mouse. My present mouse came with my 600 buck computer, and is worth about two bits. smile.gif So I thought What the hell! and bought me my first non-standard pointing thingy. I sure do love it! I'm just getting used to it now, but I'm already enjoying these wonderful benifits I get from this thing.

And then I got to wondering what sort of special pointers other people use. So, what kind of nifty thing do you fellows play with. biggrin.gif

I have a Logitech Trackman Marble. It is a 3 button thing with a trackball thingie that you move with your thumb. It uses a laser to read little black dots on the red ball. I think its great, especially for first person games. You don't have to wave your whole arm all around the mouse pad just to turn around, just roll the ball with your thumb. IMO, its better than a mouse.... (but then again, I have barely ever used a mouse since I got this over 2 years ago)

------------------

"lord"David

Spectre Fleet

Pre-comm., Cmdr. Alpha Prime

ICV Dark Saber

Official BC3K Tester

Well, not to blatantly plug my site or anything, but I happen to enjoy the Razer Boomslang 2000 myself... smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

I just use a standard trackball, much better than a mouse IMHO.

smile.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG 'GMAN' MILLER

ORION FLEET

FLEET EXECUTIVE OFFICER

T.B.G. NIGHTWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

I use a Microsoft optical mouse. so fat the only thing it hasn't worked on is glossy white tiles smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Optical mice all the way! Never get clogged with gunk, and my Intellimouse Explorer has always worked perfectly, well worth the £40 investment!

(Also, I now can't live without my back/forward buttons for IE and keep pressing the sides of other peoples mice for buttons that aren't there! Anyone else have this problem?)

------------------

Cmdr. A.R. Thomas

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV-Victorinox

"A small mind is easily filled with faith"

[This message has been edited by Adam Thomas (edited 08-22-2000).]

Guest aramike01

BAH! I just use a little mouse with a wheel thingy on it. Wheel works great, good scrolling tool.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Commander Phased really enjoys his Microsoft Intellipoint. Good shape, good weight, and there is no way in %$#@ I can live without a mouse wheel. Never gets "guncked up" either because of my mouse pad.

I use a plastic star wars mouse pad with a rubber base. The big plus here is it doesn't shed lint or hold dust (two biggest causes of mouse gunk) like its cloth counterparts. Also, if it gets dirty for any reason, just wash and dry and you're ready to go in seconds.

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

"Follow me if I advance, kill me if I retreat, avenge me if I die!"

well, I use an optic mouse when I use my mom's computer, my dad and I each have boring normal mice, but I AM rebuilding my comp soon and will change that. I got a scroll mouse on my comp at work, which I use every day for 9 hours straight, then I come home and accidently click the middle button when looking for the wheel.

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

you might as well stay and fight, because if you run, you will only die tired

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

Heh.

I use an MS IntelliMouse Optical for regular stuff, a Cirque Mousepad for first person games (I'm left handed...try WASD and your mouse on the left hand side!) and a Logitech WingMan Force Feedback Mouse for all those other games smile.gif

Erik

force feedback mice???

*eyes glaze over as he pictures a mouse bouncing around on the pad during an air battle*

frankly...I'm not frank, but if MY mouse started jumping around in my hand, I'd be forced to put it in a cage then call my local insane asylum, the Royal Ottawa...I'm on a first name basis with the administrator of that place! wink.gif

Optical mouse. My old ball mouse always got gunked up.

Wasn't there a motion-sensing glove that people were speculating about, about 5 years ago? It was supposed to track your hand shape and finger motions, IIRC.

Also, how do you think BC3K would play on VR devices like Virtual I-O's I-glasses? Would the views be totally immersive or would my head explode after 10 minutes?

I have been using the Logitech Trackball+ for about a year. For comfort and ease of handeling there isn't a better pointy thing out there,IMO. I've thrown out all the pad mice, too rough on the wrist smile.gifsmile.gif...

------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught

Prime Fleet

G2 Intelligence/Security; G3 Tactics (Acting)

Shipsmotto: "Retreat? Hell!"

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Hidama:

force feedback mice???

*eyes glaze over as he pictures a mouse bouncing around on the pad during an air battle*frankly...I'm not frank, but if MY mouse started jumping around in my hand...

Hey there Hidama,

Yep, check out www.logitech.com, go to their gaming devices section and check out the mice. it's a great device, particularly for showing off to your friends smile.gif

Soon, though, I'll be using MS' Strategic Commander for everything RTS related smile.gif

Erik

Guest aramike01

You guys were right!!! I just went optical, baby...OPTICAL!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

hey TAC that laser idea is a cool one. I spray the ants I see crawling near my screen, just one small spray and there all dead. But I detest the smell...what sort of laser is this you bought? One of the little penlight ones?

------------------

Captain Cruis In

ICV Defiance, Sygan Starstation(Sygan)

CEO, Sygan Starstation

Balor Fleet