Are you safe from Hackers? This baby will answer that for you!

Really cool tool! Went to my other system, an old p133 with dialup connection.. that system was wide open to any 14 year old with PCanywhere installed would want it to be.

Tested it with "my" computer, with cable modem with BlackIce installed on it.. 100% safe, it couldnt get ANYTHING out of my system. Who loves you buddy? biggrin.gif

Click on the SHIELDS UP logo at http://grc.com/default.htm

and test your system.

------------------

Flt. Cmdr. Londono

GCV Usagi

*Fleet Command

"Hard,Fast, Furious...FIRST!"

ICQ 6955087 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

I sent my computer through the gauntlet as well and they couldn't touch it. Really cool site Tac.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

Yep, I use this site to check my computer regularly. I would also like to recommend a firewall program called "ZoneAlarm" - which does a nice job protecting my machine. It is free for personal or non-profit use. You can find it here.

Regards.

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Thanks Tac for this useful piece of info.

I too have D/L Zone alarm, haven't installed it though, but now that the new HDD is installed, I will do that.

smile.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG 'GMAN' MILLER

ORION FLEET

FLEET EXECUTIVE OFFICER

T.B.G. NIGHTWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Hate to burst ye bubble there Tac but BlackIce has been hacked into already. Just cruise some of the wares sites and one will find all kinds of goodies.

Any system - no matter how well protected with firewalls, access/deny lists is subject to a determined hack attack. The same can be said about anything too, if somebody wants in bad enough they will enter - no matter what obstacles are in place.

BTW - Interesting site Tac. Me system wide open fer all der world to see cool.gif

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 08-27-2000).]

I must echo what Gallion hath said. BlackIce has been compromised. How do I know? I recently had BlackIce installed. Went down to the market with the wife and when I returned, found me computer doing all kinds of strange things. Files being downloaded and system files being deleted. A quick disconnect from the hub stopped the intrusion. System check revealed that not only had someone found a way past BlackIce, they went into the register and turned the registered period clock off the charts. It expired and shut itslef down! Once the perp managed that, my whole system was open to his whim and wish! Be afraid, be very afraid gentlemen. That little episode cost me one heck of a lot of time in re-installing the complete system.

"Nuff Said!"

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Bad? You ain't seen BAD, But WE'RE Coming!

Thanks Rattler, that's story just convinced me to switch to ZoneAlarme Pro. Seem stable for now. That's something I had troubles with BID.

I prefer to have control of what has access to the net than let any program go like BID do.

Like Gallion said, there's nothing secure these days.

Tac, you should try this testing site to http://www.hackerwhacker.com you only have one shot but this site test more ports than ShieldUp.

And you can get more informations from the ShieldUp newsgroup about firewall at news.grc.com.

------------------

M. Pelletier

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

Commanders,

I'm also an avid proponent of Zone Lab's Zone Alarm. It has to be the easiest to use and one of the most effective software firewalls out there. A quick check of the log of unsolicited, attempted incursions against my machine actually terrified me!

Use ZoneAlarm's logs in conjunction with NeoTrace from Neoworx (high-speed graphical traceroute with integrated whois and ping) to track down spammers, tracing intruders back to their source, and troubleshooting net problems: http://www.neoworx.com/products/neotrace/default.asp

Hit DOWNLOAD for free trial version of NeoTrace.

I've sent more than a few nasty grams to folks who were attempting to access IP address.

------------------

Commander Tarsus Wren

GCV Eye of Heru

Prime Fleet

S15 Staff Chief, Alpha Wing and CO Galcom HQ

"Nothing escapes the all-seeing Eye..."

I use both ZoneAlarm and Neotrace here too. Black Ice is compromised and in my case, some ******* was trying to re-route my incoming email port. Unlucky for him, my comms server, running BI at the time because I hadn't gotten around to upgrading it, accesses my main station which as Zone Alarm on it, but I had configured it so that the comms server, was not regarded as part of the local zone after 10 mins of elapsed usage. From that point on, I removed BI and installed ZA on that machine too.

And yes, if you look at the ZA log, it'll make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Hey Tac, i think you should've named this topic Are you safe from Script Kiddies?

It's script kiddies who like to do stupid attacks. Real hackers can beat most of the commercial security programs.

The best way to keep your system secure is to download & install all of the OS upgrades & fixes you can find, and occasionally look at the entries in HKEY_Local_MachineSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun for anything unusual. If you do find that someone has plugged into your machine using a remote admin prog, you can use nststat -a to find out their IP address.

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

Very true. The only problem is that we need the SC to port BC3K for us smile.gif

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight, STARPATH (MARS)

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing