Microsoft to purchase North America

Pyro Penance

Ok, Microsoft is really getting on my nerves now. I already despise Windows and all it's PC related "software", or as I like to call it "c**pware", but now there going too far. To ensure that X Box be a success they are actually buying out developers to make games for them. First with Bungie, which drove me to more than a few acts of terrorism and now Infogrames so X Box could have exclusive rights to the Oddworld series. As much as Microsoft I'm pissed at the all the companys being bought. They are all sell outs that give in with out even a second thought as too wheather or not it's beneficial to their games. Infogrames said that X Box's better graphics and sound were why they choose to sell their soul to the devil. Do they actually expect us to buy this? Now their not just sell outs but cowardly sell outs. I hated Sony because of their dominance of the cosole industry and the fact that they didn't even make any games themselves, now I'm starting to admire there faire business dealings with Microsoft out there leaving their trail of cash. You'd think that with all the lawsuits against Microsoft for it's monopoly that they'd slow down, guess not.

Guest aramike01

Sounds to me like your against capitalism. I like both Sony and Microsoft - and I wouldn't dislike them simply because of success!

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid, Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

You can only love or hate what you truly understand!

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 10-23-2000).]

First of all I hate consoles in general, basically because

A) There not upgradeable, and instead of buying a new console ever year (At least that's what it seems like), I prefer to dump the upgrade dollars into PC parts.

B) They are so confining, and don't have nearly the options of PC games.

As far as Microsoft and Sony go:

I don't mind Microsoft products, but will always look for the cheaper alternative.

Sony, is not the brand I normally look for in electronics. I don't have anything against them, their products just aren't an eye catcher for me.

smile.gif

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader, Tsunami Battle Group

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'Here cometh the storm!'

I don't dislike them because of there success, I dislike Microsoft for it's tactics in securing the console market as another one of it's monopolys. I'm any but anti-capitalism, but there's more to capitalism than just who's got the biggest wallet. It's who's got the best product, and with Microsoft buying everything in sight it's limiting developers and preventing them from making the best product possible. Capitalism at it's best is the PC gaming market. Good games sell well (for the most part) there are ups and downs and controversy and some times bad things happen (LGS closing) and sometimes really good things happen like that Derek can create BCM without execs constantly looking over his shoulder. I'm hoping that not everyone will be bought and become corperate slaves but the way things look now who knows...

[This message has been edited by Pyro Penance (edited 10-23-2000).]

Guest aramike01

quote:

I dislike Microsoft for it's tactics in securing the console market as another one of it's monopolys.

They'll hardly have a monopoly. I mean, with PS-2 and Dreamcast, they're going to have serious competition. And if their console is a better piece of hardware and they take the lead business-wise as a result, that's good capitalism.

Btw, I like consoles - can play them from my sofa. biggrin.gif

------------------

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

they sell out because of money. they want money and lots. you think they care about honour?

alot of people will do lots of things for the almighty dollar. selling out isn't so bad.

------------------

Captain Cruis In

ICV St. Helens, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

CEO, Sygan Starstation

Balor Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

Cry all you want. Each consumer still has a choice whether or not or acqiure any MS product. XBox wil not be the cure-all, though the specs and hype pix look good.

It is cheaper to buy a company that has an excellent track record in or developed an area in this ever changing high tech world than it is to R&D in-house. The companies that get swallowed within the MS corporate maw always have a choice to say no. But the mighty $$ will break down all resistance and assimulation is garuanteed - to resist is futile (pun intended).

To bellyache is a waste of effort IMO. I have no intention in procuring the X-Box anyway.

TTFN

------------------

Fleet Commander Gallion

(Pro Tem)

GCV Graf Spee, Starbase Cerberus

Fleet Leader - Wraith Fleet (Pro Tem)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/Corsair Wing

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

Corsair Cove

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 10-23-2000).]

quote:

Sounds to me like your against capitalism.

Aramike, that is wild capitalism, it's the law of the jungle. I may sound a little left-wingy to you but I hate that. I mean I understand they want to make money, but if I have to choose between a free, well-balanced world with a variety of brands and products where I can choose from, and a world with Sony and Microsoft making big bucks, heck I don't even have to think about it.

But then again, that's just the opinion of a guy who thinks that gas should be more expensive and taxes should be higher (specially for the wealthy ones), so it may not be worth much wink.gif

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

OK, so where did you guys read that MS was going to buy Infogrames?

And FWIW, I don't think MS will have a monopoly with XBox. They've got stiff competition from PSX2, Dreamcast and Dolphin (or whatever Nintendo is calling it these days)

Pardon the picture-posting, but I simply couldn't pass this up:

20001023l.jpg

------------------

Commodore. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Sanctuary Storage Facility (Sygan)

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 10-24-2000).]

Guest aramike01

quote:

taxes should be higher (specially for the wealthy ones), so it may not be worth much

Grrrrrr..... wink.gif

------------------

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

"The Software Drives The Hardware." Tell me who originally said that and I'll give you a nickel.

The 'console' market will never be primary for development. Why? Show me somebody who can build a decent game with only a console at their disposal. Or only a Mac, or only a Unix server. And show me a decent developer who will commit to never using any of the three above. You like the kind of games created exclusively for the Whatever-Box? Buy the Whatever-Box, then buy the game. Heck, I loved my Steely Dan eight-tracks in my 69 Plymouth Valiant, but I also dig their new CD in the Toyota. And with all due respect to Steely Dan, they didn't force me to buy a CD player or the car that it goes in. The art manifests the canvas, the payload drives the rocket, Form Follows Function. Which reminds me, I need to upgrade.