Oldest Running PC

We have a thread for who has the latest and greatest kit available to run BC, and I was wondering who has the oldest fully working kit, either PC, Amiga, PET etc.

I have:

AST 386 SX25

4MB RAM (recent upgrade:-)

110 MB HD

1MB Western Digital Graphics

PC Speaker for sound.

Fully working, I was running DOOM 1.1 on it only last night.

Well... Back home I have a 286 w like 640k of ram and a 20 meg hdd... including state of the art CGA graphics smile.gif

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 10-31-2000).]

It's boxed up in my garage, so it might not fit your category, but I have an Apple //e with 128K of ram, a 5.25 Duodisk, a Zipchip that runs at twice the speed of the regular 6502 (I couldn't afford the 4x chip), and a color monitor!

If I were to hook it up again, I'm sure it would work just fine.

I have an old Tandy 1000SX (8088)which I have boxed and stored. It has 256k Ram memory with dual 5 1/4" drives and a 32mb hard card(power supply was not sufficient to run a regular hard drive) VGA graphics and two joysticks. Hows that for old!!

------------------

rgordon434

How about a Sinclair Quantum Leap?

1972'ish

Motorola 68000 chip, no memory to speak of.

Used a color VGA monitor.

Twin 512K tape storage devices. (About the size of a matchbook)

Wrote my first Basic Program on it.

------------------

Cmdr H. T. Wolferz

GCV-Kentucky, GALCOMHQ (EARTH)

Prime Fleet - Beta Wing

Radio Shack TRS 80 (Trash 80) one 5.25 floppy and (amazing for it's time) a tape storage drive.

Wrote my first BASIC prog'ys there too. Then got the tape storage, then the 5.25 flopy, man that was sooooo cool, being able to save programs after the computer was turned off smile.gif

Hehe, took a class on that machine in the 4th grade and got my first taste of bitmap programing smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Akira (edited 11-03-2000).]

Trash (TRS) 80 model II

64kb RAM expanded to 256kb RAM

2ea 5.25" drives (180kb per disk, first iriteration)

Tapedeck

Back in '78/'79 I managed to program some using ASSEMBLY and BASIC. PEEK and POKE was the hi-tech way to streamline programs and increase program speed that were written in BASIC.

This dinosaur still runs though I have forgotten how to run some of its applications.

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 11-02-2000).]

I too have a ZX Spectrum. The good old Spectrum 48k (rubber keys, no monitor -you had to hook it up to your TV-). That was my first computer (1982). I'm not sure if it still works, though. My first PC is still running. Last time I checked my mother in law was using it to type and print letters. It's an Intel 8088 4.7 Mhz (I think), with 640kb RAM, two floppy disks (5.25") and a 20Mb Hard drive that I bought some years later. It came with a green monochr. monitor, but after some time I got a color monitor to take full advantage of its full-blown 4-simultaneous-color-on-screen CGA graphics card

Man, those were good days.

cwm32.gif

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

[This message has been edited by Hector Socas Navarro (edited 11-02-2000).]

We still have this one computer that plugs into a TV, has a bubble-key keyboard, and a slot to hold up to 64KB of RAM. I'm not even sure what it is. It's just... ancient.

Oh, we also have a TRS-80, Apple IIe, 386, 486, 486 laptop, P133, P166, and a PIII 733. Heh. It's like a museum of PC's...

------------------

Robert Thomas Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

http://powerpub.net

"Leave the repairs to the techs. Leave the mass destruction to ME."

I've got a state of the art 8086 PC XT with a huge 640k of RAM (who's ever going to need more that 640k of RAM?) cwm36.gif a 360k FDD and a huge 20Mb HDD!

Man this is such a killer system, do you think it will run BCM on low graphics settings?

[This message has been edited by Josh Dilvorn (edited 11-02-2000).]

Got a ZX Spectrum in a box somewhere, what I first learned to program on, and if I look really hard I might be able to find a couple of Z80's that I won in a school raffle when they were upgrading to spectrums. Now those were mean machines. None of this fancy flashing cursor or graphics of any description, can't remember what the memory was but I remember 48k in the spectrum seemed massive in comparison, flat keyboard (just softer spots that you could press and if I remember correctly there was a few second delay between pressing the key and the character appearing on the TV. Ahh, them were the days, lad, and don't you forget it

cwm16.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISSHQ (Saturn)

Centauri Flight Group Leader, Defence Wing - ISS Fleet

email:[email protected]

"honour is what on man can give you, and no man can take away"

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 11-03-2000).]

...I once managed to hook an old 386 up to the net a few years back! I was pretty surprised when i was able to hit 1k/sec with a 33.6 modem! Now *that* is what i call an eye-bleeding rate! cwm45.gif

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight, GALCOM HQ (EARTH)

S26 Wing Leader, Prime Fleet Beta Wing

[This message has been edited by Rm (edited 11-04-2000).]

My first experience with computer was back in my elementary school :0 Could of been an apple II, not sure tho. I do remember playing this game called Oregon Trials, man that game rocked! I always tried to be the first one to finish my work so I can get on it. Still the best entertaiment in school back then is the one and only, tha PLAYGROUND!

My dad had one of those machines that did Basic. I never touched it though, I had the NES smile.gif. Then we got a 386 16mhz SX, the computer came with a pirated version of Police Quest. Man shoot, that game waz cool! Sonny and his popo cruiser, the bikers? The drug deal gone bad and drive by shootings? For real, I was digging it. Also remember typing obscene words and laughing at the response. There was this other game, Rise Of Dragon 16 colored EGA version, excellent game.

Then I got a 486 66, and a CD_ROM! WOW! CD ROM was the bomb back then because I didn't even have a CD, not even a CD player (my family wasn't doing too good then). I was heavily into flight simulations around that time. Then came a long period which I didn't even touch computers, but I start playing around with it again about 3 years ago. Now I can't live without it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for, the oldest computer I've ever got was a portable 286 10mhz (well, it was not that portable cwm35.gif but I have a friend who have a collection of 386, 286, 088, 086, Tandy 1000, Atari's, Commodore 64 and a Pong game in a wooden wooden box (Men, this IS the future...)

Of course, he also have 486's, Pentium I, Pentium II, Pentium III and one AMD Duron. He's waiting to upgrade that last computer to a genuine 1.2GIGS AMD *THUNDERBIRD* computer!

He's not planning on buying any P.IV, he doesn't like them (they don't work!)

Heeeey Jamont!!!

Back to the roots (where is the C64!).

Also still got mine running! (Is a C64/128)

Best wishes to all 64'er boys out there

(and the rest, too ;]

------------------

Commander Steele

GCV Terra Kresta, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

Stealth - the only thing between you and your enemy's guns

Hey...

somebody of you guys still remember that

C-64 game "Elite" ?

Some Spaceflight-sim, one could call it

the basis of all spaceflight games wink.gif

(kinda Battlecruiser-style... not quite, but nevertheless a little bit), I was about 6 years old when we played it...

Shut the windows at 2 pm, locked us up in

some gloomy room, started the C64, fought space pirates, discovered new worlds, brought new technology to retarded worlds, traded goods, smuggled contraband past the militia, took a second look at the clock: 2 am.

Need to say more? Nope. THAT'S gameplay-fun!

Hey SpacePhish! You've been into flight sims ??? Me too, still am, which ones

did ya play ??

C Ya

------------------

Commander Steele

GCV Terra Kresta, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

Stealth - the only thing between you and your enemy's guns

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just junked an old TRS 80 II (well last year) I'd dammaged the keyboard in storage so time for the junkyard.

Still got a working 486 DX2 that I play Dos games on (Elite,FFE)and its original 386 board somewhere cost over £2200 new.

If your talking "toys" got a Vic 20 (taught myself basic on that)and many Amstrad CPC464/6128

Remember the good old days when a 3" external drive cost £200 plus