I hope that everybody VOTED today!

Steve Schacher

I hate politics, so take this with a grain of salt.

quote:

Russia has recently created a new option for the "Don't Matter"'s and "Everone's an @@$"'s

of the voting populace. Now in every ballot in the country a "None of the Above" mark is availabe. If "None" beats all the canidates, the parties have 3 months to put together another canidate, and the old ones are chucked.

This seems quite democratic. People are now able to state thier dislike for everyone. Very nice.

LOL!!! I like that! cwm27.gif

quote:

Depending on how the Electoral Vote goes on Dec 18th, we just may get a chance to see this fubar in action. Last time was in 1876 I believe, The House of Perpetraitors elected Hayes as the president 56 hours before inauguration. He lost both the popular and electoral college elections.

Well, I think they've already screwed up this election. So, come Dec 18th, it can only get worse if this farce continues.

As I type this, CNN is reporting that in the recount, Bush leads Gore by 362 votes. But there was just a press conference by the Florida SOS (heh) in which they said that those numbers released by the media are unofficial and that until they are final and made official, Bush is still leading by 1794 as per the Nov 7th election.

Like I said, it can only get worse from here.

I hope Gore wins. cwm32.gif

cwm28.gif Democrats, Republicans...

THA GREEN PARTY!

Anyway, I would rather have Gore in the white place than Bush. The way I see it tho, Gore should just wait untill the oversea votes come in, if he still is behind then well conced.

The whole notion of a revote in Palm Beach is so damn silly. Get over it people! A vote is a vote, you can't change it. If life works like that I sure would like to go back and re-take my mid-term.

Still I guess you have to be fair... ahhrghhh this whole damn thing is driving me nuts...oh I think it's time for a little B.C

"Derek Smart for Prez, hmmm I mean Galcom Supreme Commander"

Guest aramike01

I think for the Pat Buchanon portion of that Florida ballot it should have said:

quote:

I. M. Dumbass (Party of Moronic).

I mean, seriously - Al Gore wants the fate of the presidency to be decided by people who can't even figure out a damned ballot!!! Anyone who screws up a simple voting ballot shouldn't be allowed to vote. Heck, probably shouldn't even be allowed to have children. I say, they should have Voter-Ballot Proficiency exams for registration. Maybe an IQ test.

Anyway, Tyrn, one reason the Electoral College is a good thing is that it makes state government the highest form of government in the country. Another thing it does is actually make each vote count a bit more to the candidates. You see, if popular vote were the only way, it's unlikely that candidates would spend much time campaigning in the smaller electorates.

However, I believe the state's electoral system (which is decided within each state - not federally) should proportion the number of electoral votes to the popular vote within the state. Florida may be won by a single vote yet all 25 electoral votes will go to a single candidate.

Btw, if Gore's elected President, you may as well kiss a few constitutional freedoms aside. Targeted tax cuts - give me a break. Talk about widening the cultural gap between rich and poor. Social Security in a lock-box? Yeah, right, Al. One, it will never happen. Two, it takes cash out of the national economy rather than put it in what Gore hails as the strongest economy ever. Plus, doing so would most likely bankrupt the system in 30 years. You don't lock up what's broken, or do a quick fix (a democratic virtue is the quick fix), you fix it long term. In addition, Bush wants some the money given back to the people who pay it in the form of private market. Sort of a federal 401K. Makes sense to me, considering that when I retire, I don't stand a chance in hell of seeing a tenth of what I've paid to the system whereas my 401K cash is nothing to snicker at.

As for health care, Gore's making promises he doesn't stand a chance in hell of following through on. He essentially wants to eliminate HMO control. Sorry, Al - first, no congressional stroke of genious will get that done. Secondly, if the Clinton/Gore administration hadn't thrown a TON of money at private HMOs, the health care system wouldn't me in this state of collapse. Remember managed care? That hit during your boss' presidency. And now your primary health care argument is the elimination of managed care? Why wasn't that done before it hit?

And now my really chief complaint - the Armed Forces. During the Clinton/Gore administration, defense spending decreased while peacekeeping missions abroad increased (those missions are partly funded by the UN - guess which member of the UN takes up most of that funding?). In other words, military operational spending increased whereas the funding of the military itself went down, leaving our forces in a terrible state of low morale and even lower in modernization. Heh.

And finally, my outlook on Democrats - They hail the constitution when it befits them, change it when it doesn't.

For the sake of this nation, I hope Bush wins.

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid, Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

You can only love or hate what you truly understand!

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 11-10-2000).]

quote:

Al Gore wants the fate of the presidency to be decided by people who can't even figure out a damned ballot!!! Anyone who screws up a simple voting ballot shouldn't be allowed to vote.

The funny thing is, they don't have a problem keeping track of 20 Bingo cards at one time!

quote:

And finally, my outlook on Democrats - They hail the constitution when it befits them, change it when it doesn't.

The Bush DUI flap was revealing in how Bush handled it. He went out onto the streets to talk to reporters, he admitted it, and answered direct questions.

If it had happened to Gore, he would sent out a spokesperson to make an initial statement while everyone else hunkered down and got their stories straight. The next day, Gore would go out and give a statement, maybe take a question from Wolf Blitzer, and then leave to do the people's work.

Now we come to today, and compare how Bush and Gore are behaving. Gore is reverting to legalisms and distractions to try and take the election. Bush is acting calmly and not attacking the electoral process.

Gore is saying that he won the popular vote and that Bush has to let the "will of the people" decide. Bush may still take the popular vote when California's 1.2 million absentee votes are counted.

If this is how Al Gore behaves in a crisis, then I don't want him in the White House in a crisis.

First off I would like to say that I did vote and cast my ballot for Bush. Being from New York my vote unfortunately will not help him get elected. The long and short of it is that whoever becomes our next president will not be able to get anything accomplished due to this fiasco. With the House and Congress being split almost 50/50 I expect that both Republicans and Democrats will not cross party lines over the next four years. The real losers in this race will be the American people and that is a shame. What ever happened to the oath that elected officials were to serve the people (ALL THE PEOPLE). That seems to be the furthest thing from the truth these days.

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Remember when this was a perfectly innocent thread?

Hehe, remember when this was a perfectly innocent election? Now, you have people trying to throw out perfectly innocent absentee ballots because of a handwritten voter ID number (which was correct, btw) on the application. Now, you know Al Gore wants this case to be decided in favor of the plaintiff. Funny, but he was the one screaming that every vote should count, yet the only thing he says in this matter is "it's up to the courts to decide." You'd think that, if he really wanted every vote to count, he would condemn this ridiculous lawsuit.

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid, Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

The Canadian federal election late last month went smoothly...only took a day, 130 seats for Liberals (harmless flaming idiots), 36 for Alliance (dangerous fascist flaming idiots), 15 each for NDP (idealistic, weak flaming idiots) and BQ (bitter, unhappy, seperatist flaming idiots).

You should try more than two parties and ditching the electorial collage...or switching to something that works, like aristocrisy. smile.gif

Just my $0.02 Canadian (penny-and-a-half US)

------------------

Commander Markus Korivak

GCV Norfolk (pending commission), ISSHQ (Saturn)

ISS, Defense Wing

ISS Fleet Defence Wing GCV Norfolk

"Honour is what no man can give you, and no man can take away"