Who drives your audio?

Gryphon

Hey folks,

In the past month I've upgraded to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (support for up to six speakers with EAX and A3D support) and Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400 speakers. I have to admit that the difference between these and my old SB16 w/$10 radio shack speakers is equivalent to the feeling I got when I upgraded to a Riva TNT from a 1MB Trident SVGA card.

It was...astounding. wink.gif

So I'm just curious - what sound card/speaker combo do you guys make use of? Does four speaker surround turn your crank at all? Any plans on upgrading for BCM? smile.gif

man you didn't see my room then ... i got 8 speakers crosswired and build in to my walls ,kick ass sound it gives , i can use em for my stereo and computer .. ha it rules when my Nav Officer Says , Hyper Jump activated , wow it feels like im really in the thing.

------------------

Commander Nick Jamont

GCV Prophecy IV, ISSHQ (Saturn)

Intel & Espionage Wing Leader - ISS Fleet

"silence is gold"

[This message has been edited by Commander Jamont (edited 11-21-2000).]

Hi!

I use a Creative Labs Soundblaster LIVE! 1024

together with the according Cambridge Soundworks 4-Point Surround system (+ Subwoofer). Great sound, better than many

1.000++ US$-Stereo-system I've seen (heard),

really!

Best regards

------------------

Commander Steele

GCV Terra Kresta, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

Stealth - the only thing between you and your enemy's guns

quote:

Originally posted by Steele:

Hi!

I use a Creative Labs Soundblaster LIVE! 1024

together with the according Cambridge Soundworks 4-Point Surround system (+ Subwoofer). Great sound, better than many

1.000++ US$-Stereo-system I've seen (heard),

really!

Best regards

Hi hombre!

Yeah, cambridge makes some amazing sounding stuff - I tried out their FPS2000 at a local hardware store and was floored. However, I like to watch the occaisional DVD video on my computer and the ProMedia's THX capabilities make everything sound that much better. Good to see people are taking their audio seriously though smile.gif

Erik

I'm pretty happy with my good old SoundBlaster XGamer Live! and Altec Lansing 3-piece speaker system! smile.gif

------------------

Commodore ShoHashi

ICV Aries, New Frontier (Rinaal)

Station Commander, New Frontier

Bishamon Fleet

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

I used to have an old ESS AudioDrive card, but it was noisy and its Midi was crap. The one I have now is a Turtle Beach Montego A3D-Xtreme, with A3D sound. Speaker system is a Cambridge Soundworks make, but nothing too fancy - just two small satellites and the subwoofer. I did end up buying an audio-out Y-splitter though and use it to hook up Optimus Pro 40 headphones. Cambridge Soundworks may rock, but that Optimus Pro 40 kicks its butt with one hand tied behind its back on 3D-sound-intensive games like Thief 2 smile.gif Maybe I need a speaker upgrade?

Hey guys :]

If you r searching for a really cheap MIDI-

card with great performances, try the MPU-401. As a standalone-card, it's crap,

but as to the MIDI-performance, it's one of

the best cards I've ever had :]

To GRYPHON:

Yeah... I've got the FPS 1000 (I guess :] ).

I'm kinda stunned... THAT sound for only

150 D-Marks (abt. 75 US$)... WHOOOHA... :]

And: It sounds best if you don't use it as a

surround system (bullshit anyway, who needs that ??), but as a 4-way stereo! (2 speakers

for left channel, 2 for right channel)...

Keep on rockin'!!

------------------

Commander Steele

Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

I did end up buying an audio-out Y-splitter though and use it to hook up Optimus Pro 40 headphones. Cambridge Soundworks may rock, but that Optimus Pro 40 kicks its butt with one hand tied behind its back on 3D-sound-intensive games like Thief 2
smile.gif
Maybe I need a speaker upgrade?

Heh, all good headphones will sound better than most multimedia speaker system's because the headphones are closer to your ears. I'm no expert mind you, but when you keep your speakers a meter away from you like I do, the very subtle sounds can be lost depending on the clutter in the room and the quality of the speakers. You don't miss a damn thing with headphones smile.gif

By the way, that Y-splitter might be causing some degradation of the audio signal. Your speakers may be suffering because of that wink.gif My vote is to get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz so you can have the FPS and the headphones plugged in at the same time, without a Y-splitter smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Steele:

If you r searching for a really cheap MIDI-

card with great performances, try the MPU-401. As a standalone-card, it's crap,

but as to the MIDI-performance, it's one of

the best cards I've ever had :]

I've never cared for MIDI really - I don't see the appeal - but the Santa Cruz is pretty damn good at it, particularly since it has that 8 MB thingy for it. And I think it has an MPU-401 built onto it or something. Too early in the morning for me smile.gif

quote:

And: It sounds best if you don't use it as a

surround system (bullshit anyway, who needs that ??), but as a 4-way stereo! (2 speakers

for left channel, 2 for right channel)...

Well, I can see the allure of that. I mean, during a DVD-video most of the speakers aren't really belting out much more than background noise...but playing half-life or something, I like to know where the bad guys are coming from, you know? smile.gif

Naaaah, that makes life too easy cwm1.gif

But try playing a sub-sim without ANY audio

(Now... is that sucker pingin' me, or not ??? cwm25.gif

greetz

------------------

Commander Steele

Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing