Chris Roberts leaves DA!?!

Supreme Cmdr

Ouch! Now that be embarassing IMO - removed from office of company he founded. Agree, thats gotta hurt biggrin.gif

TTFN

------------------

Fleet Commander Gallion

(Pro Tem)

GCV Graf Spee, Starbase Cerberus

Fleet Leader - Wraith Fleet (Pro Tem)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/Corsair Wing

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

Corsair Cove

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Co-Leader, Team 1

Ouch, that's gotta hurt hard!

Let's just hope he doesn't persue a career in movie directing... wink.gif

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid, Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

Yeah, it sucks. I feel sorry for him though.

The problem is that since 1996, they've only done one product (which failed miserably at retail), Starlancer. MS canned Conquest. Freelancer and Loose Cannons have taken too long in development...and its been almost five (5) years with zero return on investment!! Any company would be pissed. See, thats the problem with using someone else's money to do a game. Once you are committed to a publisher financially, something like this, can and will occur. Its inevitable; especially with the current industry climate.

Sad really.

Oh god. Foss is going to throw a hissy fit if he reads this.... Do you know how much he loves those games? He's probably going to cry! I'm probably going to have to console him! Oh god....Derek why?! WHY?

(By the way, I think I STILL have you're name wrong...Bah)

cwm22.gif

------------------

Commander Akuma Minako

GCV - Tenchi, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

You sure he just didn't find out about BCM and realized that there was no point anymore cwm1.gif !

I mean for pete sake Freelancer can't compare to BCM and plus you fly around with a mouse? What's up with that? Oh well... As the SC says it is a shame but I'll wait to hear more news before I make any judgements. Maybe he had an outing with his brother and is gonna open up a new company on his own or GOD for bid gonna make movies. I enjoyed the first few Wing Commanders back in the day but the movie...

I don't know about you but I tried the demo to Starlancer and the graphics and flight dynamics reminded me too much of Privateer 2.

[This message has been edited by Silk (edited 12-01-2000).]

I'm sure MS will still release Freelancer but I doubt that it will be anything stellar. Pretty graphics no longer guarantee great sales or gameplay. They just help.

MS cancelled the DA Conquest title just last month, now this. Makes you wonder what the hell is going on over there.

Something is definitely messed up there. But the whole "not possible using today's technology" sounds like a coverup to me! There's nothing in Freelancer that BC3K or BCM doesn't have. I think it's most likely due to internal politics between them and Microsoft. Time will tell.

It is a shame if Freelance doesn't get finished, I wanted to see if all the hype was even close to the real game(it still sounded to me that the ship would fly itself and all you would be was a glorified gunner with your mouse - advanced 3D control scheme my but!).

So much for my "Brothers Fighting" theory if Erin is going also.

[This message has been edited by Silk (edited 12-04-2000).]

Oh, I was looking forward to this one. I knew this was going to hapen tho, ever since the WC movie I knew Chris was steping closer to the edge of insanity, my theories are correct after all.

quote:

I mean for pete sake Freelancer can't compare to BCM and plus you fly around with a mouse?

NO BIG DEAL, think it as Quake In Space smile.gif.

If my theories hold up, John Romeo will be the next to go smile.gif.

So if he applied for a job at 3000AD??? =) We'll have BC:M with major film budgeted cutscenes!

Ensign (played by Saffron Burrows) - "Supreme Commander the pirates are bringing in their heavy cruiser."

S.C. (played by Laurence Fishburne) - "Close the blast shields and charge up the Wave-Motion Gun! I want those pirates out of my sky!"

Ensign - "Yes sir!"

(Just injecting a little humor here, not trying to knock Chris Roberts who created one of my favorite games of all time ;)

...and the penny drops

Yep, just what I suspected. DA owed MS too much money (reportedly to the tune of $75m which MS gave DA back in 1996) and still couldn't turn a profitable title. So, this acquisition is just the MS corp machine getting a handle on their investment and taking full control.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 12-05-2000).]

Sucks. frown.gif

Freelancher was one of the few games that i was really looking foward,i wonder if this "aquistion" by MS will hurt or help the project.

MS cerintaly has the the money and skill to make this game great,but they can also want to try and cut costs by releasing it prematurly...

Ehud