eek.gif

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader, Tsunami Battle Group

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'Here cometh the storm!'

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 12-04-2000).]

Just one more reason to not touch AOL with a ten foot pole...

BTW, my dad (while not exactly a computer junky/expert like myself, he was smart enough to get off AOL years ago) tells me that getting off AOL is like getting off hard drugs...the best way to do it is to cancel, then rip up the credit card and switch to a different credit card company.

I've seen and used FREE products that were far better than AOL...

------------------

Commander Markus Korivak

GCV Norfolk (pending commission), ISSHQ (Saturn)

ISS, Defense Wing

ISS Fleet Defence Wing GCV Norfolk

"Honour is what no man can give you, and no man can take away"

AOL? I have but one word for AOL. BAH!

Signing up with AOL is like handing over your computer to a criminal and saying, "Here, get me on the net. I trust you."

"We're so easy."

It's internet with training wheels, but nevermind that cliff they're about to push you over.

As of this date, there are enough local ISP's out there that are more than happy to assist the novice in setting up web connectivity. And they don't throw a bunch of garbage on your PC that you don't want or need.

I used to work tech support for one of the major DSL players in the Midwest. Imagine my chagrin every time I had a call from some moron who complained about his DSL connection not working. When I quizzed them about having AOL on their system, they would answer, yes I have AOL. Why? I would ask them, "Why do you need AOL, when you have DSL? DSL is a direct connection to the net, and it's a proven fact that all of AOL's adapters interfere with the protocols needed by your DSL connection."

Not only did AOL's adapters interfere, they wouldn't go away after making the proper adjustments. After re-boot, AOL changed all the settings back to what AOL wanted.

If you have AOL, get rid of it, wipe your drive, reload your OS, and get a real ISP. Not some piece of garbage proxy server like AOL. You will have far fewer headaches and you may discover that surfing is a great deal more enjoyable by not having AOL holding you hostage.

------------------

Cmdr H. T. Wolferz

GCV-Kentucky, GALCOMHQ (EARTH)

Prime Fleet - Beta Wing

Been using NetZero for about two years now, I did have AOL before I switched. AOL does not offer you anything that you can't get on your own for free including their services. My connect speed with NetZero is always faster than AOL on its best day. With the newer cable services now available I don't see how anyone would pay AOL $21.95 a month when you can get a much faster connect speed for the same price (or slightly higher). For now I'll stick with NetZero as I have had no problems with the service and wait for the cable companies to compete for my business with better prices.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Magnum

I've been using AOHell for several years now...and you guys are right. I've been an AOHell beta tester since 4.0, and it's gotten progressively worse with each version. I've completed extensive modifications to it so I can run a decent connection off of a cable modem.

If it weren't for the friends I keep in touch with it, I'd lose it PDQ.

------------------

"Let's go explode some Varmints..."

-Explodin' Varmints Volume I

"Being a pessimist is actually better...you expect the worst, and when the worst doesn't happen, it's a pleasant suprise" -Me

Save B5: Into the Fire at FirstOnes.com

Gordon, before you switch out of AOL you should format your hard drive. Its for your own good. AOL leaves a bunch of crap in the system registry AND god knows how many trojan viruses your AOL buddylist has.

Start anew, be happy!

Edited: Magnum: What is that link about? I thought the Babylon 5 Starfury sim game never got finished and that Sierra dumped it.

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 01-08-2001).]