Westwood is struck in the face with a brick of originality!

Parias

In a move that truely shocked everyone within 500 kilometers of my house, Westwood announced their latest upcoming game, "Earth and Beyond". Some of you have probably already heard a thing or two about this (the name rings a vague bell for me), but for the uninitiated, I'll let your jaws drop on the floor from the features listing:

quote:

Earth and Beyond will feature:

• Three major player professions (trader, explorer and warrior) and nine variations.

• Hundreds of areas to explore, including planets, moons, nebulas, starports, Star Gates, black holes, capital ships and many more.

• The ability to not only explore space, but to land on and explore planets, all built in glorious 3D.

• Hundreds of missions designed for each profession. Missions will range from 30 minute quick tasks to quests that could take several weeks.

How about that folks? I mean, landing on planets in full 3d? Exploring an entire galaxy online? An entire three major player professions?! Holy uneducated garden gnome Batman, I can hardly contain my excitement! This game is truely the single most incredible, original, and creative game idea to come along in years! And that, my friend, is the absolute truth. Period.

The game's website is expected to go live later today.

------------------

Commodore. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Sanctuary Storage Facility (Sygan)

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

hehe, will be a little interesting to see what they do.... when BCM and GCO creamate them. Actually I am interested in seeing how the game goes.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

We (especially Derek) should feel honored that this low-ad (well, not really, as of late) title is beoing copied by the same massive publisher that did all the Command & Conquers, and have enormous resources under their belt. And they still aren't tackling the depht and scope that BCM is! Now that's praise! biggrin.gif

Heehee... that is awesome. Just imagine all the suckers that will fall for "the westwood made it" hype... then find out BC offers a boatload more of options..and migrate!

Talk about letting someone else do the "hooking" people on that gaming genre, get them quite addicted, then show them the "hard, 100% distilled" stuff: BC! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

And better yet, those players that cant stomach a learning curve and want to wing-commander or quake their time away will not plague BC boards with whining and *****in.. they will kindly be pointed to the westwood game and sent on their merry way... or hunted down with Vagrants and OTS nukes until they do or stop whining ... MUAHAHAHAHAH

cwm35.gif

This is so perfect!!!

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 03-06-2001).]

Well I guess all that can be said is may the best game win. =)

Actually I worked with an ex-Westwood employee a few years back, and from his stories they sound like a fun group. Especially the guy who plays Kane and directs the C&C movies. But it's true, hey've never been the most original of game companies. Though they did invent the RTS genre as we've come to know and love it with Dune II (kinda ironic in and of it's-self aye?).

From what I've seen so far I prefer BCM over E&B. I have nothing against Westwood. I think they're a great company. Just what they describe so far may come close to GCO, but it won't beat it.

But I'm a little worried. Sometimes the best game doesn't always win.

Personally I found Seven Kingdoms to be a way deeper and more satisfying game than Age of Empires. But AoE had Microsoft money, enough to plaster Montreal with posters in English and French. Seven Kingdoms didn't have 1/100th the ad budget and look who won.

I hope BCM sells really REALLY well and Derek can pull out all the stops for GCO. I hope both games prosper. I want GCO to prosper more.

They are two different games folks. E&B is a point and click roll-of-the-dice. mouse-only, turn based game. Haven't you guys actually read ANYTHING about it? Its basically C&C in space/planet. Its not even a space sim.

In other news, I just read that Elite4 will have the ability for the player to leave his ship in first person. heh

Yeah I JUST now saw that one myself...

From VE -

"I note that a number of people are concerned about what Elite 4 will be, after seeing the concept art which depicts a human character rather than a spaceship.Of course, it should go without saying that spaceflight will be a major part of Elite 4. However, one of the central strengths of the Elite series has been the freedom the games give to the players - the player is not constricted to a set path, and can go anywhere he/she wants. In the previous games the technology was not sufficient to give the player total freedom. In Elite, you couldn't fly over planet surfaces, but that was rectified in Frontier. In Frontier you couldn't get out of your ship, but we aim to rectify that in Elite 4."

They said it could never be done. A space sim with depth and freedom, planetary exploration...

"And they said he was quite mad! Hehehehehe."

It's gotta be pretty cool to usher in a revolution in space sims.

With BCM doing so much more, Elite4 is going to have quite an uphill climb in 2002. It will be competing with Freelancer. And of course, knowing me, by the time either of those two come out, all the free stuff that I would've added to BCM, post-release, would probably make those two pale in comparison. biggrin.gif

SC, I bet you are just shaking in your boots!!! lol, ROFLMAO. NOT!!!

You indeed started the revolution, and boy have these others got some work to do, to even get close!!

It's so Nice to be home, GOD I MISSED DSL!!!! 56K sucks after DSL!!

cwm11.gif

------------------

CMDR Jaguar

GCV Excelsior

This is not just a game, It's a life unto itself!!

ICQ# 24007233

All I want to say is "I just can't wait untill I can get my hands on Battlecruiser Millennium" I don't even want to think about anything else, why look at some other game that has only a smidge of something that will be offered in BCM.