Forums upgraded

Guest dsmart

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still noticing the same thing... about the only way I was able to get the cookies to reset was by rebooting. Even when I logged out and back in, it's still showing the same lightbulbs. Hmm....

OOPS, back to the old RTFM bit, boy, do we all feel like Newbies now or what!!

SC can really dress us down and he doesn't even leave a mark, just where it counts.

Sorry SC, DUH!!!

Guest Mikel

*shrug* I saw all yellow bulbs, but I've seen this happen before so I just came back on the boards another time and it was all fixed. *grin*

I don't check the boards for a couple hours and I come back to see that the SC has been redecorating while I was out the house.

These upgrades will, especially be well worth the effort when BCM hits the shelves.

Thanks SC.

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I would stick with your decision to keep the boards browsable by non-members. I can't count how many boards I've just browsed over my career but never registered because I found what I was looking for. Its just good community relations...

~Pio

Oooooooo...

(Slaps back of head to restart brain)

Thoughts on new format.

--== Likes ==--

1) Like the new look - new icons n'at give it a fresh look and feel.

2) Easier to do cool stuff. Now you don't have to think like a web-monkey to get UBB code correct. How many times do you see people botch the code like getting slashes wrong on quote blocks or sticking them in the wrong place? This'll be a big help to newbies (and even oldies too )

3) I like the placement of the summarization of who you are (at bottom of post). Dunno why, the old way just seemed more - crowded?

4) Applause for the "Read This First" - covers all the bases a newbie should be aware of before posting.

5) Finally! I just tried it and could successfully delete my own post! Don't have to bother moderators anymore...

6) You no longer have to type in your user name and password if you've already logged on.

7) Private messaging. Could be useful.

--== Not likes ==--

1) Rating system first and foremost. While it's useful on more public boards for separating the posters with multi-celled brains from those with single- or no-celled brains , I think we hold a higher standard for our members than that. I do not understand the purpose it serves here. What is it measuring? What exactly are we competing for? Maybe I just don't get it... Just wondering.

2) I miss the giant smiley palette of 30 or so smileys. I want my exploding smiley head! Bring it back!

3) I also miss the spell check button on the main post board.

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

Guest macross

Here's an oddity - I just tried to update my profile, and two things happened:

1> Occupation is now required instead of optional. (No big deal.)

2> When I fixed that and then tried to update, it said

quote:

Sorry, you have attempted to register with an email address that has been banned. Please feel free to email us at if you have any questions.

Have I been banned and I just don't know it? Did I say something wrong?

I can still post though...

Guest macross

3> After I post, and it says that it's sending me back to the message board, it...well, doesn't. (It used to work just fine...)

(I'm running Linux/Netscape 4.76)

Drat, where did that spelling checker go? I miss that too. Other than the above, though, the new board rocks!

OK, went to update my profile, my hotmail address was banned (I guess your not allowing anonymous e-mail addresses?) so I threw up my earthlink address. Got a new password because of it, came back re-edited password and now I'm fully aclimated to the new board.

I do have one complaint though, the thumb's up looks more like someone preping for a handshake. ;) Other then that everything is fine =)

Ok, I could have sworn Derek posted about the smilies being lost and asking if anyone had the link. I let it jiggle around in my head all day today and found this in a search crack's smilies

It doesn't say anything about the ubb hack but if; under the "How To" heading on the right of the page; you click "Use Smilies" it shows a UBB Board with the smilie board to the right of it instead of the left like we used to have it.

If it's redundant info by now I apologize. Hope it's useful though. They were popular.