To Windows 2K or to not Windows 2K

I have been using Windows 98SE for a VERY LONG time, but Windows2K has now been out for over a year, I never switch an operating system until it has been out at least a year, I will not be a guinea pig for Microsoft, so I wait.

Now, Should I switch to Windows 2K, is it that much better then Windows 98SE. Does it have as many features as they say it does, and is it worth it. Will all my games still run, will all my other programs still work, or should I say to heck with 2K and wait for XP to come out?

Just want some opinions here. But opinions are like *)(&%$#& huh? Everyone has one and they all.........

Thanks

Well, here's my #^%$&^%$.

It depends on what you're going to use the OS for.

Games first, work second, you can wait for XP.

Work first, games second, you can go win 2000, or even XP pro.

I'm waiting for XP myself, but I still have some classic old dos games that I've always wanted to play, so I'm going to hold on to 98SE for another six months, or the first patch. Whichever comes first

I have a dual boot between win2k and win 98 (1st e) on my system, and I think 2000 is pretty cool, it runs most games that use direct x the only problem is with older DOS games in which case you don't have a chance(I've had some run but my soundcard is pci and the IRQ 9 is not listed for older dos games)

I have to admit though my main reason for still having 98 is BC3K and that would be the only reason it would be used. I'd say when BCM arrives my win 98 install will be deleted especially now I have a joystick that works in 2k.

Thats my 2 cents, 2K is a good OS but has compatibility issues 98 is good for compatibility but as an os it sucks and crashes to often for me(off course 2K supports SMP also which is cool for me as i'm upgrading my system to Dual cpu asap)

Guest Shingen

Win 2x suks, stick with '98, you don't gain that much in my opinion, and so far, win 2k crashes/locks-up entirly too much for me!

General opinion: If it was up to me, I'd keep all of my stuff DOS, I personally can't stand anything made by MS (except maybe Age of Empires)

Windows 2000 is much more stable than Win98 for me but you need much more RAM to run it. It runs 95% of my games correctly and I'm quite happy with it, I see no reason to go back to win98 except for some DOS software. Windows XP doesn't sound very appealing to me: ugly interface, higher ram usage.

And if you want to run DOS titles, you can still to run 'em using Linux's Dosemu running under vmware in win2k

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

I personally can't stand anything made by MS
(except maybe
Age of Empires
)

Microsoft didn't make Age of Empires, Ensemble Studios did, MS just published it (with their name all over it so you think it was them who made it)

I've seen & read about WinXP, it seems like an AOL user's idea of heaven!

Only thing i'm bothered about, is the Activation feature. It works by creating a key from the hardware you have on your system, it puts it with the Product Key & sends it to an MS server, where it will be kept in a DB. This is to stop you installing XP on more than one machine, which is fine, except, if you've upgraded any hardware, and you need to reinstall XP, you're gonna be in a lot of bother. MS say they'll have a toll-free number you can call, so you can reinstall XP without having to buy a new copy, but what if MS turn around and say "our costs are going through the roof, and anyone who wants to reinstall XP, will be charged a $15 reactivation fee"

A lot of people are going to be really pissed off...

I suppose it's a good thing that the Product Activation "feature" is only included in the Home version, and i'm told that someone's already written a crack too...

quote:

Originally posted by Tekrebel:

software. Windows XP doesn't sound very appealing to me: ugly interface, higher ram usage.

I have had the chance to use XP its not that bad you can turn the interface off and the memory requirements are excessive(64mb min) but the compatibility mode works well(it allows you to emulate 95/98/NT4/2000) and I have been able to run most software on it with no problems..

Guest Shingen

I can't get win2k to run very many of my DOS-based games. The two just don't seem to get along on my system.

quote:

Microsoft didn't make Age of Empires, Ensemble Studios did, MS just published it (with their name all over it so you think it was them who made it)

ummm.. doesn't Bill Gates own Ensemble Studios??

XP will go the way of DIVX and all pay to play services (games aside). It won't fly for long and MS will find that NO ONE WANTS to buy crap they have to suscribe for. Also, there are privacy issues. You think MS will keep your upgrade information secret? NOPE, each time you upgrade hardware and have to make that call, they'll keep track of it and sell it to the highest bidder.

Sorry, but this subscription crap only works for Massively MP games and barely at that.

quote:

Originally posted by Kush:

How about Dos Games?

Haven't tried to many dos games but the ones I have tried seem ok, including some classics like carrier command and flashback(DOS I'm not sure on that one) but they are fairly old and run ok..

Guest ROoCOoCOo

quote:

It depends on what you're going to use the OS for.

Games first, work second, you can wait for XP.

Work first, games second, you can go win 2000, or even XP pro.

That's definitely true. I'm using Win2k, 'cause I need it for work. Some games are not compatible with Win2k and that really bites (e.g. NBA Live 2k1). It's using A LOT of memory also. I'm having 128MB and it still has a 190 MB swapfile!! Can you believe it? It also takes about 2 to 4 minutes before you can actually start running a program.

Win 98(SE) is better for your (DOS) games and is more gentle with your hardware.

I wouldn't try XP though, if history repeats itself , XP will S*CK big time as it's released officially. Many, many, ... many patches will be needed, trust me on that one.

Hope this gets you an idea..

I thank you all very much, I think for now that I will stick with win98SE, I like it, it is fairly stable, and I really don't want to screw up my system just now!! lol

I have heard some good things and some bad things, so the BAD things get precedent for me, because I trust Bill Gates and his programmers about as far as I can throw them!!