PC help!

Outlaw

I just built my new PC but after I installed all the components(hard drives, floppy, cd-rom, CPU etc) the damn thing won't turn on! I know for a fact that its the power supply because when I turn on the switch nothing comes to life! Should I replace the power supply or is there something amiss?

This may sound bizarre, but it has happened to me while building a system, check that little red inset switch on the back of the power supply and make sure it is set for 110 Volt, not 220. That is a VERY annoying one!!!

Also, see the above, and if your power is controlled by the motherboard, make sure the leads are in correctly, if you reverse them it will not work either, WHITE is ground -. and the colored wire of the pair is the +.

And last but not least, I have run across this with SOME motherboards, make sure your CPU is plugged in correctly and seated all the way in!!!

And if you forgot the spacers underneath your motherboard, it's TOAST!!! lol (sorry couldn't resist this one, neighborhood kid fried an ASUS and brought the whole thing over wondering what the hell was wrong!! LOL Must admit it took me about 2 minutes to figure out that he'd forgotten the spacers and fried the whole board!! ROFLMAO, the lack of screws and the bent mountings on the daughterboards should have given it away)

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

I plugged in the power supply connector in the motherboard, plugged the black cord to the wall outlet and to the back of the power supply. I have two switches 115 volt and 230 volt set to 115 volt. No life in my pc so far.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

That is a power supply problem, no if's and's or but's. The power supply is not supplying enough power to the motherboard, so it switches off. call the people that sold you the case, tell them you need a new 300 watt power supply, it is 300 watt right?, and tell them to have a new one ready when you get there. If it's a 250 watt, you screwed up, and need to go buy a new power supply!!

Guest ROoCOocOo

Try removing some hardware that is expendable. e.g. a soundcard, a mouse, USB adapters etc... (stuff that takes quite a lot of power)

Then try it again.

If it fails it could be a problem with

a) your power supply

B) APM

c) your electric wiring inhouse

hope this helps...

it could just be your cpu bus speeds are set wrong. Check your jumper settings on the motherboard do this before you worry about changing your power supply.

Make sure you set them for the correct speed of your cpu!!!

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

quote:

Got it fixed. I just had to screw in the spacers underneath the MB.

Outlaw, I really hope that statement didn't imply the mobo was resting flat up against the metal case such that its backside was totally grounded everywhere by the case. If it was, you may have short-circuited the whole thing, which could lead to much larger problems...

No it's definitely the power supply. The last thing that happened was that the power supply crackeled and popped and some smoke emerged from it. The mobo is fine and no static was emanating from it or worse.

thats pretty brave. putting a computer together without any idea or instructions should have just hoyed it over your shoulder in the first place.

Dam what are all this little cylindrical looking things in that plastic packet for

to hold the ashtray

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

Just to be on the safe side I'll try returning in the parts and replacing it and then starting all over. PC building was harder than I thought.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

yep thats why I get paid the money i get paid

dont expect an exchange on your parts

In Ham radio, We call it letting the smoke out, because once you let out the smoke, It's REALLY hard to get it back in!!!

Good Luck Outlaw!!! I have built over 50 systems so far, and have had quite a few problems that I had troubleshoot all by myself, your darn lucky, I never had this much support!!! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Jaguar I finally got a 300 watt PS but here's the weird part: all the drives and connectors r plugged in but the pc won't power up unless I unplug the power connector to the hard drive leaving me with the floppy drive and cd-rom plugged in. What's wrong?

Check the wiring on that connector, if it is reversed from the rest, it will do just that, SHUT DOWN!! Switch power connectors, also, this is how you check the wiring, with the rounded side down, looking at it from the top, from left to right, red, black and then yellow, or if it is numbered, hopefully, 1 is yellow, 2 and 3 are black, and 4 is red!!

Check that connector!! and if that is NOT the problem, check the hard drive and make sure it is set for master, not that this would really cause the problem, but check it anyway!! also check and make sure that your primary IDE is working, to check, run your HD and CD off the same cable, in parrallel, and if your CD is recognized but the HD is not, then your HD is gone the way of Elvis!! if neither are recognized, then Primary IDE is gone the way of Elvis, Only way I know how to fix this is by replacing motherboard.

It sounds like a power connector problem to me, so check it first.. CYA Good Luck!

Good Luck!!