"The art of war"

Starfighter08

This forum being a meeting place for people who are interested in many aspects of society including politics, economics, history and of course warfare (we are all commanding our own battlecruisers); I propose this thread to be about the great work written about 2500 years ago by Sun tsu about the art of war. Maybe somebody had experiences during the game he feels could be analyzed with the concepts of that book, or we could discuss how they apply to today's warfare or that of BC.

Being a place where commanders and admirals can be found I assume that some of you have read that masterpiece too. If not I strongly recommend it as a step towards becoming that successful leader personality we all would like to be (or alreay are). Besides it's not just about some weird theory, it could also help you in everyday's struggles like on the job, with your wife etc.

It would certainly meet the guidelines stated in the "read this first thread" and make the SC proud. Anybody interested?

Guest Mikel

I've only got the abridged version of it, but here it is:

quote:

Those who know when to fight and when not to fight are victorious.

"One Who knows when he can fight, and when he cannot fight, will be victorious"

The first of the five factors from which victory can be known.

Planning Offensives, Sun-tzu

My copy is a version that was written as a doctorate thesis by some colonel. It is a fascinating version because it is footnoted all over with various interpretations for passages based on how one interprets the specific Chinese glyph character. It also includes footnotes from other Chinese scholors who commented on the book over the centuries regarding their interpretations of the passages.

My copy is: Sun Tzu - The Art of War, by Samuel B. Griffith. Oxford University Press c. 1963 ISBN: 0-19-501476-6

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Steve Schacher ]

Guest Shingen

quote:

Are there other similar books? If heard something about "five rings" anybody read this?

GO-RIN-NO-SHO or The Book of Five Rings was, I believe, written by Miyamoto Musashi, one of Japan's greatest Swordsmen.

It was more a book of swordmenship, and samurai ethics, not really a book of warfare like Tzu Sun's The Art of War

Here is an online excerpt of Tzu Sun's masterpiece: The Art of War.

Here is an online excerpt of Musashi's masterpeice The Book of Five Rings

I hope this helps