Win 98se or me

Pyros

Okay I'm about to upgrade both my pc and wifes to 1.2 athlons and 512mb ram (wasn't so long ago I upped them to 700 durons lol)

Now I need some advice I've heard from various sources that win98se doesn't use more than 256mb ram even if you put in 512mb any ideas on that.

If so and I'm upping my machine should I go for ME, i've already discounted 2000 as alot have told me its not a games platform (both me and Paola only use our machines for internet and games).

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

*cough*Overkill*cough*

I would personally stick with 98SE but well, while ME does have some advantages, I still think 98 is an overall better OS. 2000 is actually good for some games, though BC3k wouldn't necessarily work on it, or games like Red Alert and old DoS shell games. Anyway I say 98.

Personally I'm sticking with 98 until XP arrives. I wouldn't bother with ME. If XP does half the things they say it should, it will be THE gaming OS. I'd wait for XP to be released, wait for a bit, and then go XP.

From what I hear 98 can recognized that much ram. But no game you are ever going to play this year will use more than 128 meg anyway. Your golden.

I am in Anarchy online Beta 4 and 256 is minimum (ok its still debug mode and unoptimized)

FYA: MS have stated there will be NO upgrade path to XP from 98 only ME kinda bad but hehe i'll go for ME for now atleast.

There will be no upgrade from 98 tio XP? That really sucks as I never was able to get ME to install on my main machine. Kept getting some crosslinked file error message during install and no one and I mean no one at MS or on the net could figure out how to get past that.

Yeah Red I look at it this way my operating system usually lasts for 1-2 years max it costs £69 each I buy two one for mine one for my wife.

Yes its expensive but you use it every day as you switch on your pc thats 1400 uses in 2 years costing 1p per day and we may ***** about microsoft but what other games supported software is there I'm not rich I save up for 6 months at a time to upgrade the pc's but I wouldn't pirate software (I used to but alot of the companies I loved the games went financially broke so I decided just like everything else I use it I pay for it)

I believe that there is no upgrade path from Win 95. There is for Win 98. If I'm wrong, I too will be mightily P.O'd.

And yes, the lack of pure Dos support in ME means that you can't play classic games. BUT, word on the street is that XP can play pure DOS games without a hitch.

If this is true then it will totally be worth the price.

I don't believe in Warez, but one thing I am getting a little sick and tired of is having to install three operating systems every time I revamp my system.

Win 95 was an upgrade for Win for Workgroups. Win 98 for win 95. When I get XP I want to be able to just install that one operating system. EVER. I called Microsoft and asked if there was some way of getting around the upgrade install and basically they told me to suck it down.

I don't want to Warez software, I don't believe in it. Even stuff created by Micro$oft. But if I can figure out some way to pay an upgrade price for a full install, I'm gonna do it.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Because Warez are
illegal
and
hint hint
should not be discussed on an open forum. *sigh* ...

I was just joking but seriously, most people I know haven't paid for their Microsoft software products.