Will We Be Using IBM CPUs Again?

Game_Ender

I am new to this board and the BC games. But BCM looks like the best game i will ever play (next to GCO that is).

On Topic: IBM has found a way to make a transistor that is 1/500th the size of current ones. They use carbon nano tubes which are tubular fibers of millions of hexagons of carbon atoms only a few nanometers in diameter.

Carbon nano tubes are also very could thermal conductors, so they won't be overheating. They can be conductive (like metal) or semi-conductive (like a transistor).

The only bad part is chips using this tech are still years away. But so far they look the most promising of next generation chip designs.

The other ones i have heard of are:

Quantom computers which if scientists ever get one working it would more powerfull than all the supercomputer on earth put toghether.

Also there are scientists are working on light based chips that use a special crystall that can absord all light of a certain color untill the it metals. They are still trying to figure how to make efficently and how to modify them to work like present day chips.

P.S.- Yes, yes i spend way to much time reading discover and popular science.

Yep, even now, we still use the same old .18 micron size P6 (intel pentium 1,2, and 3, most amd chips), or .2 micron size P7's (pentium 4).

The new chip should be around .05 or less microns, which means we can get almost 4 times power from the same size chip (size wise). The heating is the final problem, which is solved by changing the base to copper/carbon; which is what IBM has been researching since early 2000, and is still in development, due to copper eventually causing some chemical reactions, which ruins the silicon during long periods of time.

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]