Enemy Nations

Guest Shingen

Guest Shingen

For all of you who love a good xplore, xploit, xpand and xterminate game, Enemy Nations is one of the best! (I think) ..and now it's been released as freeware!

Check it out here. The file's kinda big, and there's no music in the CD rip, but all the game features are there. It might tide you over till BCM is released.

Anyway, check it out!

is it freeware? This game is still being sold in stores? I played the demo but the military units were very lame.. Special Forces soldiers were just expensive, useless infantry!

Checking it out again though, lets see what it has now.

Oh man, that was a bloody classic. I only played the demo... which I stopped playing quickly because the limited "trial period" prevented me from playing after a short while. I never could figure out what kind of crack the people who released that demo were on... or any other time-limited demo, for that matter. I remember complaining a long time ago about some kind of aircraft game, which was a 60MB download (I was on a 28.8 at the time) which only let you play for 60 seconds. Yeesh!

I definately liked the game though....

Tac: Here's a quote from the page

quote:

Note: The company announced on its website that since they are no longer printing CDs, you can now freely give the game away to friends, etc. So, kudos to Windward for recognizing that the best way to deal with out-of-print games with little commercial value left is to make them available for free to the public. Play the game, and visit their site for news on the sequel.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Parias ]

wicked! Downloaded it... and cant play. the thing loads the map when you start and just plain FREEZES there.

Did it work for you parias? This is very annoying =P

"you can now freely give the game away to friends" that is such bull, if I have the game and want to give it to my buddy to play I dont give a #$% if they are printing cds or not, my game, I bought it, if I want to give it to someone I will since I paid for this cd.

Guest Shingen

Tac

Game worked fine for me, but it's rather memory intensive. Try changing the video resolution controls, set the to like "based on available memory" or some-such.

ummm... you might also DL the PDF manual. IT has some other install ideas that help the game run better. (at least on my system)

quote:

Game worked fine for me, but it's rather memory intensive.

Yeah, I mean, damn, this game's sure gonna give my 384MB of PC133 SDRAM a run for it's money.

Tac: I wouldn't think so. I'll download it myself and see what happens.

quote:

For all of you who love a good xplore, xploit, xpand and xterminate game, Enemy Nations is one of the best! (I think) ..and now it's been released as freeware!

Hmmm...interesting. I had bought my copy directly from Windward Studios a few years ago. Didn't know it went freeware!

Anyways, I had liked the game. I may have to reinstall it and see how it plays now that my system is MUCH better than when I initially bought it.

Guest Shingen

hmmm... I couldn't find any restrictions for a Voodoo card. There's supposed to be an advanced setting doc called en_ini.wri, but I couldn't find it on my HD. If you still have the ZIP file, you might look for it.

I doubt that Westwood still supports the game, but you might also check the game's website.

Good luck

EDIT: Tac, I don't know if we have the patched version or not, so you might try the patch and see if that works.

EDIT2: OK, my bad, DON'T use the patch! (it screws up the game! It's already been patched)

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Shingen ]

Guest Shingen

OK, witout having to download the darn 68megs game again, (I'm at 56k still) would one of you guys upload the file MSS32.DLL (in the directory that Enations is installed in)to me at [email protected]?

The damn patch changed the version # or something and now the game won't load. It HAS to be the *.DLL file that came out of the *.rar files, NOT from the patch. (if you used the patch, then you'll know what I mean)

I would GREATLY appriciate it, and it's not a big file at all.

Thanks

no, just got it to work. Forgot the golden rule: Old games dont run in hi res or 32 bit color windows settings.

Played the game... got totally bored after 1 hour. Want a cool game? Shogun: Total War. It does have a few gameplay drawbacks, but daaaamn it ROCKS! wwww.totalwar.com

Yeah, I played Shogun for a while. I like the way you can plan the battles. When to draw back and let your troops rest under the safe cover of their archers and when to attack, and then to send in mounted units to mop up. Really really nice.

yeah its very cool. too bad there is no real multiplayer for it.. just a battlefield MP. It would rock if you could play in the political and strategic map as well. I love the ninjas... I had a rank 7 ninja making massacres out of every taisho and daimyo it came accross . Sure wish they made more units for the game though. Its too locked into the "archer beats spearmen, spearmen beat cavalry, cavalry beats archers" system Besides, nothing beats arquebusiers along with heavy cavalry

Guest Shingen

quote:

Anyone know a good (free) planet colonisation game? (society oriented)

What, like Masters of Orion? As far as I know, that game is available, but I haven't played it in forever.

Another one is Outpost2, but it's kinda slow moving, but lots of mirco-management. (if that's what you're into.)

I haven't played Shogun yet, I was going to get the demo, but it looked like Romance of the Three Kingdoms Japanese style. I wish they'd remake Nobunaga's Ambition and revamp it for 32bit (or whatever)

• 4 weeks later...

Shogun, while having the problems above, is still probably one of the best strategy/tactical games around. The AI is actually smart most of the time. Especially on higher levels.

And while you say it has the archer beats spearman, cavalry beats archer, spearman beats cavalry. It frequently doesn't matter if you have the right tactics. A well performed cavalry outflank, and it doesn't matter who the cav are hitting, cause they're hitting them from behind, while your other guys are keeping them busy from the front. Overall, I thought it was a great game...especially since I got it for (almost) free, cause I used to be a counselor on UO.