...more diversions before BCM

Guest Shingen

Guest Shingen

OK, I admit it. I'm a strategy game buff. Other then Space-sims, strategy games are my favs. along with business sims if they're interesting...

Anyway, here are three games I've found that are now abandonware! ALL these games i've purchased in the past, but ALL of them are impossible to find. (it's just my luck that these game CDs got lost in the move from Oregon to here, so I was never able to find them until now)

Anyway, as far as I know, these games are abandonware and accessible. I ALWAYS advise buying the games even if you can get them hacked, but sometime these suckers are nigh impossible to find.. ( like these three gems! )

Check them out if you got the time.. ( I didn't but I got them anyway! )

Seven Kingdoms II: The Frythan Wars

This game ROCKS! If you've ever played the orginal, this game is soooo much better, now you can play as an evil Frythan and kill or enslave the worthless humans!

Imperialism

This gem is for all you would be imperialist dogs who love to dominate and oppress with economic, military and diplomatic means. Conquer all of Europe at the beginning of the industrial revolution!

Imperialism II: The Age of Exploration

This one is as good as the first, except now you can conquer the New World along with Europe! There are a bunch of new features as well! Highly recommended!

Like I said, IF you can find these games, BUY them! These are "hacked" and things like music and amimations aren't present. The 7K2 CD has alot of kewl animations in it, but they were left out of the download version.

HAVE FUN!...hopefully this will further kill the time till we have BCM!

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: Shingen ]

Shingen, since you're a strategy buff, I recommend you try some of the turn based games by Chris Crawford. The following games are Freeware and available on the Underdogs site.

1. Balance of Power

2. Balance of Power 1990 Edition

3. The Global Dilemma: Guns or Butter

4. Balance of the Planet

Crawford's game designs have a characteristic style: Minimal aesthetics, a high level of scope from a small number of features, and a simple interface working on complex mechanics.

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Hmm, why aren't there any Strategy games where you start in modern day *insert name of country here*, and just carry on from there?

They're all "Start in the Dark Ages/Middle Ages/Stone Age/Ice Age/Pre-historic age/Dinosaur age/Age in which I was born (Which was pre-dinosaur, I assure you)"

Bet we'll be getting a Strategy Game similar to Jurassic Park next...

Guest Shingen

quote:

Shingen, since you're a strategy buff, I recommend you try some of the turn based games by Chris Crawford.

Thanks, but I got them all

Great games as well!

Balance of Power was one of the first games I bought for my old Apple //e. I sometimes still play the 1990 version on my PC. Great game.

For diversion, I usually pull out an Avalon Hill strategy game. Right now, I'm playing Ambush! by Victory Games (bought out by AH).

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: Steve Schacher ]

Guest Shingen

7 Kingdoms takes way more thought and time to play then AOE does.

My little nephew plays AOE all the time on the net, but it's ALWAYS deathmatch where you get ALL of your resources up-front, which I think is a big joke!

Where's the strategy in that? (other then tactical troop movement.)

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Does C&C tiberium sun firestrom and dark reign 1 and 2 enter in the strategy game type your talking about? those are futuristic. Dark Reign + exp. pack was the game I've played the longest time ever.

I'm not sure; C&C is a real-time strategy (which is ironic, since most realtime "strategy" games are on a tactical scale). The other games he referred to are more or less turn-based strategy.

Anyway, they're all good.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that it doesn't have the scope of the previous games mentioned, but Activision's Battlezone was tons of fun (the first one, not so much the 2nd one). Dark Reign was really good, but the end was a letdown. I haven't finished Dark Reign 2 yet, but so far I don't feel like vomiting...

If you guys liked games like Imperialism you absolutely MUST check out a game by Paradox called Europa Universalis. It is the best historical simulation I've ever played. It covers economy, warfare, colonization, and religion very, very well.