Will we finally get to *really* know them?

Joel Schultz

Curiosity killed the cat.

Fortunately for me, I'm not a cat so here goes...

I am interested in what we can expect content-wise in the printed documentation (to be included in BCM and to be published at undisclosed future date, such as the technical reference manual SC hinted that someone was hired to do). Specifically, I am interested in the largely untouched cultural depth that the galaxy exhibits. Will that depth be finally filled out?

I mean, look at the alien races' backrounds. That's pretty much all they are: super-brief backgrounds. The BC3K manual/appendixes only give vague hints at some of these for the other races with the exception of the Terrans, but even then leaves things kinda foggy. (Off topic: IMHO The Rise of the Insurgency set in the centuries before 3000AD would make a facsincating storyline, either as an RP or "official" in-depth history. Or even as a new BC title ).

Will we at some point be getting deeper insights into the galaxy's races? Back-history, governmental, economic, sociological structure, religions. Cultural info on what their values are, what they see as virtues and vices. How they perceive the other races and their relationship to them? How the races tolerate (or don't tolerate) internal dissidents? Do they have a "family" structure or equivalent in their society? How does this family operate? How do they handle courtship/mate selection? How do they raise their children? What sort of artistic endeavors does the race engage in? What sort of recreation and entertainment? What sort of education do they receive? And health-care?

In other words, rather than a "super-brief" like that is found in BC3K manual/appendix, will we finally get an in-depth background? Something more along the lines of several pages of text, perhaps like what I assume you could find in an RPG sourcebook (not an RPGer, but I assume that to maintain consistancy and harmony within a given RPG universe a sourcebook must spell out a lot of details like this that must be considered when generating and playing a character). Methinks I may have gone a tad too over-the-top in my questions...but at least I don't think I left anything major out. Besides, most of those questions were inspired by the not-quite-flamefests I read in the threads you guys start on political stuff, so you gotta take some of the blame too .

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this answer, perusing the threads we already have one Gam commander, and I've seen some questions regarding social structure and the like.

And BTW, I am aware that there's a recent "Alien social/military structures" thread around here. The long and short of it was "read the BC3K manual/appendix", but I've already stated why I feel these are insufficient to sate my curiosity. Though I might go hunt up those stories that were mentioned should I get a chance.

TTFN

quote:

perusing the threads we already have one GAM commander.

Make that 2. I was the first Gammulan commander. The other was 'Gam military. I would definitely like to see an extensive history of the BC races. Makes for a pretty good read.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

Without that in-dept analysis of the races, the universe sounds impersonal.

You know the Gams are bad, they want to invade everybody, but why? Is it about their ways of educating their childrens? Because they are still in the "conquistador" period? They are a bloodsucking race ? They have nervous assaults and it make them very aggressive? Their current leaders are megalomaniacs?

I don't know... but I want to know.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Also, I believe im the only Gam/Military as far as I know of(check fleet database under alian military)

[RP]

quote:

Their current leaders are megalomaniacs?

WHAT! you call our Glorious war council megalomaniacs!?!? you shall pay dearly! I Shall have your head mounted on my wall!

[RP]

*grinz*

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Herro YuY ]

Guest hindot

[rp]

Hate to say it commander but your the biggest target in multiplayer. I don't think the NPC gammulans r gonna help u much. And i u venture in the credian quadrant, well consider yourself a target for my wraith buddies! Watch those shadows.

[/rp]

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: hindot ]

[RP]

Aye, if you hate to say something then... dont SAY IT! and don't inform me of things I already know! I know who my enimies are! and I know who is going to win between us! I have only one thing to say, are you, my lad on the right side?

[RP]

more people will join the gam military, i'm shure of that...

[rp]

And I suppose you'll be running for the command of that fleet!

Hmmm... the first Gammulan military running for the Supreme commander or Admiral position!!!

Seriously, I even think you should be starting a recruitment campaign.. or something alike.

Possible extract:

Bored of those sick fascist galcom commanders? Can't stand those paranoïd Insurgents? Continuously patrolling Earth is not your trick? Hate to be alone in the darkness? Still seeing raider starstations in a militarised universe?

Be on the right side of the gun, and join the Gammulan empire! Big ships, big guns and more fun in the destruction that you can imagine!

Join a force controlling a quarter of the galaxy! Join the force who's only name is sufficient to make every enemy commanders shudder!

Have no fear! Have all the hate! Join the GAMMULAN EMPIRE, and stand high on the galactic podium!

I'm almost convincing myself of... nah!

[rp]

LOL, so right now im just a one man in the gam/mill

The Admiral position is just for Rp purposes in the Indie thread and I believe its not a valid gam rank... I also don't have any palns of running for a "supreme" position in the military, altho if the position arises(asuming more people join the gam/mill)and someone askes me about the position, then I will take it into consideration...

Thinking about it, i would really like to be a Gam... almost as fun as being a raider!

I should be ashamed of myself! The forces of the darkness are very attractive, I must resist them!

[rp]

Commander Epsilon 5 has been abducted by Gammulan grunts, and intel report that the gammulan military science staff is conducting test on his body.

Early reports says that his skin color is slowly changing, and that his eyes are loosing their coloration, gradually turning to red.

He has been seen walking in the research facility corridor with a gammulan TacOps commander uniform. Diagnosis on the situation are telling that commander Epsilon 5 is becoming a Gammulan. Other unclear reports are telling that he could be the new leader of the Anti-Earth fleet (AEF).

Recommendations: eliminate ASAP the subject.

[/rp]

quote:

Make that 2.

OK, maybe I should've said "at least one" Gam. Sorry about that

I wasn't just talking Gams, though I think they're cool (well, I suppose they have to be since besides they're the cleanest-cut villians in the story; Earthcom/Galcom and Insurgency is definitely a murky gray). A few other races have some interesting stuff hinted at.

Such as the Sla'ti (see Empirians & Vesperons). Who are these guys? Why do they pick on the Empirians. And what really transpired with that captured Terran convoy? Sounds like the Empirians have some possible intrigue permeating their government.

What does "sister race" mean (e.g. Mandorian/Kandorian). How are these races related? What was the "break" between them, if any, or how did they meet and stuff like that?

And the mystery surrounding the Droidian/Syrion stuff. The ancient legends of jumpgate building etc.

But, yeah, I have to agree that Gammulans rock! When BCM comes out I definitely will have at least one game going with a Gammulan career...

I too would like to know about these races and about there background history, but I guess we have to wait untill BCM comes out? (assuming we get to know that stuff in BCM)

quote:

I too would like to know about these races and about there background history, but I guess we have to wait untill BCM comes out? (assuming we get to know that stuff in BCM)

Which was kinda the whole point of this thread: will we find out in BCM? Or will we find out in a later book or something?

quote:

Will that depth be finally filled out?

As I've said before, I'm the only one who has that information and since I'm busy developing the game, there is no chance in hell that I'm touching that.

Plus, I still have to do the BCM manual. That guy I hired, (after he contacted me about it), took my $1000 advance, (out of the total $2500 agreed upon, with the bal being due on completion) recycled my own stuff (which I had sent him) and sent it to me as work-in-progress (*after* cashing my check) almost a month later!! At which point I asked him to just forget it. And he never returned my money, claiming that he had the work on paper notes, which is why the MS Word docs didn't seem to have anything new in it. As if that helps me. Of course, I never received the paper versions either. So, I just turned it over to the attorney to handle. Last I heard, we were suing him.

I've learned my lesson.

So now, I have to do the manual myself, as I did before.

The point is, the BCM manual will contain data required to PLAY the game. Nothing else. It will use the same/similar format that I used for the BC3K v2.0x manual and only the appendix stuff will be online. The main manual will NOT be available in PDF format.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Why no PDF?

Another thing: why won't you let unprofessionnal fans try to make a story? Or help you for anything else? It's free, and since it is, it's not made for the money, it's made for fun an for the interest of the game. It's adding stuff without adding production-costs.

And you have all the possibilities of modifying the stories, rejecting them, and to put them under your copyright.

I just want to know why. I know I can't help very much, but I see here a few people that could help you make a even better game. You may not have the time to do the stories, but some people on the board do have that time, and some of them even have the talent.

Just want to know why.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Another thing: why won't you let unprofessionnal fans try to make a story? Or help you for anything else? It's free, and since it is, it's not made for the money, it's made for fun an for the interest of the game. It's adding stuff without adding production-costs.

I agree. THAT, is the definition of "fan driven" anyway.

quote:

Why no PDF?

Because it makes pirating the game that much easier. I didn't care much for BC3K v2.0, since it was a budget release anyway. I have more at stake with BCM. Anyone who pirated BC3K v2.0x, instead of paying $20 to actually buy it, is an idiot and a fool.

quote:

Its a lot more complex than that. And no, I'm not going to do it. Period.

quote:

And you have all the possibilities of modifying the stories, rejecting them, and to put them under your copyright.

Babysitting stuff like that is not what I'm up for.

quote:

I just want to know why. I know I can't help very much, but I see here a few people that could help you make a even better game. You may not have the time to do the stories, but some people on the board do have that time, and some of them even have the talent.

Just want to know why.

Irrelevant. I don't take my copyrights and trademark property lightly. And to murky it with the addition off public, is just asking for trouble. I don't get involved in all the role-playing that goes on in the forum, because they don't affect my property in any shape of form. But when it comes to something that actually affects my creation, in any shape or form, thats a definite no-no.

There is no discussion here. The answer is no. And I'm not likely to change my mind.

The man has spoken. I have one question, some time ago there was a mention of something of a sort of some kind of manual that will come out after the BC:M release and that will have more information on all the tech and other stuff in BC:M. Is that going to happen? Also is it in any way possible to hire someone else to do a manual that will be a little more fun then just a cut dry basics?