Way past time to say Hi!

Guest Whitewing

Guest Whitewing

Greetings all! I have been reading these forums since EB sent me that blasted sale add nearly a month ago and hooked me hard on Battlecruiser Millenium. I am busy clawing my way up the learning curve, and having a blast doing it. So many things to do, places to see, stuff to blow up. Mr. Smart, you have out done yourself sir. Judging by the line at File Planet every time I had tried to download the BC3K file, all of your efforts are about to repay themselves ten fold.

A bit about myself. I am an official old fart, now that I have hit the big four-ohhh. I have loved playing video games since the days when you had to stand in line at the arcade to play Defender and Battle Tank. I am more than a little glad that a creation such as BC:M was not around in the late 70's. I would have never graduated high school! And I thought Everquest was addictive.. My first PC was 386SX16, with that big time upgrade to 4 MB of RAM and the 100 meg hard drive( those were the days!). The first game I loaded was MechWarrior, the second, Wing Commander. So, pretty much every new title in those series forced an upgrade to the ole hardware to keep up. These days, EQ has occupied a good bit of my time... more time than I care to even think about. If you play EQ and have a level 55+ character, you know what I mean!

For you Fleet Commanders out there. I had the most fun in a space sim (my favorite genre, period) playing the Privateer 1 and 2 games. Anyone else enjoy those? One of my favorite things to do was in the first game; trash a Confed ship, load up the surviors and sell em off as sex slaves to a pleasure planet. I never heard any complaints, so I guess they didnt mind much! Where would a mercenary pilot with a vivid imagination and a seasoned trigger finger fit into the BC:M galaxy? Looks like some of those trader ships could by very effective in competent hands.

Lemme see, what else.. There was a discussion going recently about CPU cooling. May I suggest water cooling. A buddy of mine installed a nifty system on his machine, a combo of a very well built transfer plate that clips in place of the heatsink/fan, a small water fountain pump and a 6 inch cube radiator. He is running an AMD Athlon (I think) 1.3 over clocked to 1.8 something Ghz. His CPU temp never exceeds 85 F. Ever. He has had it running now for about 3 months without any issues. It will not be long before I do the same. The thing that impresses me most is how quiet his machine runs. I have 7 fans running in my Athlon 900 home built. They are all good ball bearing fans, but it still sounds like a small hovercraft when I boot up. With his machine, you only hear the power supply fan spooling up. What a difference! If anyone is interested, I would be happy to get hold of more specifics for ya.

I am looking forward to playing Battlecruiser: Millenium with major anticipation. Nothing I have ever seen or even dreamed of compares to the sheer magnitude of what you have done SC. Thank you for having the guts and sheer will power to do what you wanted to do. Your vision will keep me busy for years to come. See ya's in the stars!

Welcome to a new addiction Jaxom.

Hey, the big four-o isn't that bad. I did that one seven years ago. You're still a pup.

I too have been a space freak, ever since the early days of NASA. If anything space related was on in those days, I was glued to the television. I have played most all of the simulators from the Atari up, but have always been left wanting for something better. Along comes Derek Smart, et joie la!

I have been dreaming about this epic space sim since before Derek even started thinking about programming. I don't know your age SC, but I am gambling that you weren't even born yet.

So, Cmdr Whitewing, thinking about a place in a fleet yet? We could use a good man in Prime.

And if a few others reply we can bring it down to 20 or so!! LOL

Don't feel alone there, I started this when I was 33(I think so anyway!!), and now I am 36, no forget that, I am 29!! lol

Welcome to our nightmare!!

there are many youngsters here, I am not one of them, but enjoy!!! Good to have you here!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaxom Whitewing:

Greetings all! I have been reading these forums since EB sent me that blasted sale add nearly a month ago and hooked me hard on Battlecruiser Millenium.

You too huh?

Must........keep..........average.......age.........over..........30.......

We did a pole about 18 months ago that determined the average age of the community members was around 26-30, but we've recently been flooded by a lot of teens. I think the youngest is about 15 at the moment, although it could be lower than that. Anyway, Im getting ever closer to pushing 30, but I still prefer to think of myself as one of the average aged members. For now. Heh.

hehhe. it's funny how age seems to always play a factor in who plays games and such. Personally, I think it's refreshing to see that most of the people around here are generally older than the teens that most of the games are 'targetted for'. My ex-girlfriend never understood my fascination with videogames (or cartoons for that matter). I'm 30...going on 15.

Guest Remo Williams

Welcome Jaxom

Hehe looks like the average age in this thread went down a bit. I'm 36 going on 63 there that should help.

What the heck, i'll just join in on this as well.

I'm 16 going on my 17 in 3 months... there I brought the average down....

Oh, and welcome to the war Jaxom