A good free firewall?

Põdi

Just want an opinion from youz guyz.....

I only have a 56k dial-up modem, so I don't have any firewalls installed. I'm probably online for about a total of an hour a day (at home that is). Is it worth my while getting a firewall? If so which is the best freeware one? I've heard that Zone Alarm is pretty good, anyone have any opinions on the matter?

ZoneAlarm d/led and installed, thanks for the input guys. It actually detected a hit while I was playing around with it. Now I need to know how to use the bloody thing properly!

I agree with Darkvenom. Use an old computer to set up a FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux gateway/Firewall and you're almost guaranteed to be "safe". And you get the ability to connect lots of computers to the net through one modem.. (yup, possible with windows98/2K too but...well...windows is windows...

(BTW, Try SuSE if you're new to linux but interested in using it. Easy and can be configured to look like Win if you're used to that.)

Hehe. I just installed Linux-Mandrake 8.0 on Saturday. It has a firewall called 'tiny' which disappointed me.

I told it to block telnet/ssh connections, then I ran ssh and connected to a nearby server with no problems. Seems like it's useless against Trojans if it can't block internal extrusion. Does anyone know of a good two-way firewall in Linux?

It's a pity that ZoneAlarm is only for Windows.