Steep learning curve? Where???

desolator

Just for the fun of it, I sat down today and read every review and preview of the BC3K and BCM games, and everyone complains about the steep learning curve. And all I can say is: What steep learning curve?

When I downloaded the free BC3K v2.09 I sat down and read the included readme's, doc's and the pdf manual, took little notes on which keys to use, and how to do certain things, and that was it. No steep learning curve there... if one doesn't know how to do something, like landing troops on a planet, then its just to read how to do it in the manual, nothing hard... I actuall found it really fluid and selfexplaining ingame.

So does anyone else feel that there aren't any steep learning curve, or is it just me?

(on the other hand, I usually learn how to operate things in sims pretty fast due to my interest in the sims itself.

That and the steep learning curve I took trying to figure out the right altitudes at which to pull up...

Seriously, though Menchise is correct, other sims aren't nearly as complicated. Look at other DOS titles, such as Xwing or Tie Fighter. They have alot of keys, but not 1/10 of the commands that are possible with bc3k,

but look at todays sims. 8 keyboard keys at most and a joystick and there you go. No learning required, just sit back and start playing, which isn't necessarily bad, just that some of us like the more hands on feel of managing a huge ship instead of just jumping in and you are automatically the baddest ass thing in the universe like in other sims.

I might say that it's because you need to play in menu to do some stuff...

---

In freespace 2, you can get specific systems to be damaged. the repairs are automatic.

In battlecruiser, you can get specific systems to be damaged, but you need to assign people for repairs and have the parts needed. You also have more systems

---

In freespace 2, you have a few keys to press to do much of the work. I think it's "j", "k" and "l" to change power allocation to engine/shields/weapons

In BC, you have menus and submenus. Althought there are shortcuts to do most of what you want to do, they take some time to remember (select target's attacker is "b"... you remember that?)

---

In freespace 2, the "only" threats are space based, and to only thing you need to get rid of 'em is your trigger.

In BC, you can have intruders. You generally need to assign marines (Resnig office is always relocated to the aft sdeck airlock), because you never have enough of them running around.

I could continue like that for a while... But that's what make BC a good game.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Desolator is right, BC3000AD does not have a steep learning curve, it's just that some people are lazy and don't read instructions and then when it takes them a few hours to figure out on their own how things work, or they can't figure that out on their own they start saying, "That game is too complicated". I know for a fact because I got my copy of BC3000AD from my buddy just because he didn't want to play anymore saying that he doesnt know how to do stuff(he hates reading the manual, never does). I am so happy though, if not for him, I would never even know that such a game even existed.

These are the people that scream WTF?!? and punch WSAD arming the weapons, and hitting spacebar launching missiles which is cool for a second before they realize that they have to reach for the forbidden "right side of the keyboard" Then they exclaim "It SuX!" and register at the VE forums.

well, there should be some neat feature in BCM, which detects the first 4 keys that someone presses, and if they are WASD, they are restricted to playing FP-Mode.

Cheers

No... I have a better idea... if you press WASD as your first 4 keys... all your systems suffer 50% damage, all people onboard drop at 35% health and get 100% fatigue, you get radiation of all decks and, last of all, you get 20 intruders!

*evil grin*

...oh and you have Resnig saying the mighty phrase EACH 10 SECONDS!!!! MOUHAHAHAHAHA!

(on the all your base are belong you us theme)

All your marine are ready for deployment!

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Steep learning curve? They don't say Falcon 4 has a steep learning curve? Why? Because Falcon 4 is a simulator of a real craft. Well....BC is along those same lines. It's not a FPS with ships. It's a Simulation. As far as I'm concerned, most of the Space Combat Sims out there are FPS with ships.

I don't think BC3000 has a steep learing curve but it definatly is a constantly continuing one. I admit it took me a while to learn the game but once I read the manual and the included readme and PDF's I was handling my BC with ease. Now I admit I still have stuff to learn ( I don't have much time to dedicate to gaming with work and family and stuff ) but I'm continually learning and its not difficult.

Cmdr. Desolation

you have been accepted into Epsilon Wing, please change your sig to the one i put in my above post

You also need to update your profile on fleet DB and put an email address in there so i can reach you

You also need to report in by going to Epsilon Wing News under prime fleet discussions and post a message

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: demolition ]

Ok, to make sense of this whole thread, what does "WASD" stand for? Up-Left-Down-Right movement keys?

Anyway, such a newby-recognition code and a "RTFM" alert would be the perfect easter-egg thing to piss certain people off. Go for it.