What's good?

Soback

I need some advice on a new game. I got some credit I need to spend at EB tomorow so I went there today to see what they have but eveything looked kinda the same so I walked away. The only things that kinda caught my eye were I-War 2, Arcanum and Startopia. So, I would appreciate if anyone can tell me anything about those games if they have played them or maybe tell me of something else that's good and I can get at EB. Thanks.

I bought Operation Flashpoint from Codemasters a month or so ago, it's cheaper now. I have gotten a one-up on most American Players as far as strategy. It is definitely worth it.

You seriously should avoid Arcanum. While quite a good game, the cumbersome interface and the WAAAY too small inventory makes the game rather a b*tch to play... which is a shame because it's really neat to mix magic and gunpowder & steamtechnology.

Startopia though are serious fun! A bit too short mayhap but thats ok, you'll have a lot of fun anyway.

Thank you for all your opinions. It was appreciated. By the way I got Startopia. Downloading the patch for it right now, after that it's install/update/ and PLAY. Will update in a day or two on the status of the game, if it's good or not and ect....

Ok, looks like one more safedisk problem.

This is the story. I went and exchanged Europa Universalis for Startopia. Came home, installed. Downloaded the patch, updated. Start the game, the same thing, start up screen then drops to desktop. I couldn't believe my eyes. So I went on the official site, tried all the fixes in the official FAQ, nothing helped, then I stumbled on some files saying that if I have an older card witch doesn't support dx8 then that's the problem because if I have dx8 installed then the card just won't work. What do I do, I try to delete dx8. Yeah, fat chance there. After about 2 hours of tinkering, surfing the net I find a way to take care of that. So now I have DX7. Did that work? NOOOOOO.

Well, thinking that I have a bad CD-ROM drive like was mentioned in some other thread, I went to CompUSA and bought a new Creative Blaster CD-ROM 52x for $60. Well, came home, plugged it in, no help here. I reinstalled from the new CD-ROM, it interrupts in the middle of the install and says that the files are corrupt. AHA, I think I have a bad CD. Well, I go back to EB, get another copy of startopia, come home. SAME THING $@#(&^%$#@(*^%^ . What now? I go back to the startopia forums. Do a search on "Doesn't start" and come across a thread that's 4 weeks old saying that if you get dropped to desktop but the game tries to access you CD-ROM before that then it's a safedisk problems and was fixed and confirmed fixed by a cracked startopia.exe file witch bypasses safedisk id at the star up of the game. Now I am just going to look for this file. Hope I find it.

End result. I spend the whole day with 1 trip to CompUSA where I bought a CD-ROM which I apparently don't need, 2 trips to EB. 8 hours trying to make this damn thing work. Trying and finally succeeding downgrading to dx7. 3 reinstalls of windows (needed to correct the dx8 "problem") damn official FAQ. And now what? God I feel miserable.

OH MY GOD. YES BABY YEEEES. HAHA. It worked. In their face. It's not my computer or my cd drive, it's this stincking safedisk. It woks, movies, sound, everything and I don't even need the cd. I have never cracked or copyed a game in my life and now only because of a copy protection that is supposed to let the legit players play and I couldn't I cracked it and now I can. That is backwards. What should I do now? I think I will just go and exchange the game and keep the one I have on my HD. My agravation, trips to EB and COMPUSA, wasted gas, money, time. My killer headache that I have now, and red eyes, not mentioning 3 reinstalls of windows and trying to get rid of dx8. And I had to pay 44.99 for that? OH GOD, well, the way they paid me I will pay them. In their face, safedisk and everything else, like it's supposed to prevent copying. Instead it gave me a reason to.