Internet Explorer 6

Guest $iLk

I have upgraded, I notice the speed difference and the difference in stability.

New features don't get in the way like I have heard, I recommend upgrade.

BTW I am using it on Windows 2000 Professional.

Should I upgrade to Windows XP Professional? and why?

At the risk of sounding overly anti-microsoft:

Have you tried opera? It's great and you can get a free version at www.opera.com.

I believe there is an article about why not to upgrade to XP at www.firingsquad.com.

(heh, and if you get tired of outlook you can get Pegasus mail at www.download.com)

It may be my imagination but I feel more comfortable with Pmail and Opera than with the MS equivalents.

If you have a hotmail account, they probably mailed you a link.

But just go to microsoft.com download IE6 setup

Do an upgrade install (this keeps your plugins intact) and it works beautifully and is stable.

This is the first time I haven't regretted upgrading IE.

It has a good picture stealer toolbar too for those pesky ba$tards who write in the no-rightclick scripts

*raises hand - guilty

hehe.

I like IE 6 too. There was definitely a speed improvement (I'm using NT 4.0).

But did MS have to drop Netscape plugin support? Oh well, more security is better, I suppose. I DL'ed the ActiveX QuickTime control from Apple the other day, now I got to find an ActiveX Mod player plugin. Modplug seems to be a Netscape plugin

On the other hand, you gotta love the built-in cookie filtering and privacy policy functions

It only seems to work on linked ones. Click it, hit stop (or hold down, and drag your mouse off the window), and then do shift-f10.

Shift-F10 does the same thing as the little menu button (to the left of my rt. control button), on my keyboard. And, shift-f10, without anything selected can also be used to look at a pages source, but you can do that from the view menu now.

I've had the IE 6 Preview since it came out. Had Opera for a year.

I'm going to upgrade to XP, after I switch out my mobo and CPU to something better (Celeron 500/OEM HP mobo now, maybe a T-Bird later...). That way I won't probably have any problems.

Yet another cool image thingy:

If you are viewing an image and it's too big, IE will resize it (without distortion) to a size to fit in the window. Hover the mouse over it and a button appears in the LR corner to toggle it between "full-size" and "fit-to-window-size".

well i dont want to sound biased since I work for microsoft windowsME techsupport... however its a really good thing that people are upgrading to the new version of IE. I would at the same time like to give a word of caution to those with the ie6 beta. It a buggy piece of junk and has problems being removed.( don't call in for it either its beta and we dont support it) HOWEVER the final version is wonderfull. download it and use it. VERY much improved over 5.5 . One other thing. The xp products can give you grief when you want to reinstall as you must obtain a new code from microsoft. If your willing to do that then go for it otherwise stick with 2000. And on last note... people really do not realize how many problems are reallllly not microsofts fault but really a hardware problem, 3rd party program (damn you anti-virus softwar and drive overlay damn you to hell) or bad drivers(VxD)and the most common problems are people doing things that corrupt A.winsocks or B. network tcp/ip stacks. (ok 95 was crap but 98 and winme are awsome).IE truly is the best browser around it really is. and that folks is a shameless plug by your local microsoft representitive