Different Strokes for Different Folks

aramike

OK, everyone, listen up.

I, for one, am EXTREMELY tired of people asking for closed threads. I'm not having that. This forum is open to discussions of ALL natures, and has been since I've been here. Your opinions are welcome, so long as they are clean in nature, not vulgar, not crass, not racist, and not adult-oriented. Those threads will be categorically deleted, as they've always been.

However, a dissenting opinion is NOT grounds to shut down threads. If you don't like something, fine, say it. Share your opinion. If someone attacks you personally, they will be BANNED. However, if you find an opinion that you don't like and want it deleted, think again. This place is open to ALL ideologies, no matter what they are. And as soon as that is restricted, Derek can remove me as an admin (I can say that because he'll NEVER restrict opinions, that's not who he is from what I know).

Need I remind you (I really shouldn't have to), some people see computer games as distasteful. Should we then ban/censor discussion about gaming and stop showing screenshots?

I don't think so. We joke about such violent material. We laugh at that. But some don't want us to. Even so, we're NOT stopping.

Therefore, for the last time, if something is not vulgar, racist, adult-oriented, etc., a thread will NOT be closed/deleted. If people start MAKING those threads vulgar, etc, they will be BANNED. Respect one another's opinions, yours will be respected as well.

Thank you.

~Mike

I don't think aramike meant to offend anyone here, but he's right. This forum is designed to promote everyone's opinions. If you find something offensive, make your opinion heard, but don't get in a tizzy about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Akuma Minako:

So you're trying to tell me that if I'm deeply offended by somthing that I can't even request to have it locked down? Well that makes me feel so great.

You know what forget it.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. That would open the flood gates for ANYONE to be deeply offended by whatever they want, and THEN we end up censoring EVERYTHING.

Again, some people are deeply offended by violence in video games (read: Columbine). So should we just delete the forum?

What offended you? Fictitious bombers dropping bombs on Afghanistan? On no one in particular?

You know what? I'm offended by the thread Derek started called "Only in America". That is offensive to my nation. It should be deleted too. I'm also offended at the mention of the game "Operation Flashpoint", which is about Cold War times. Very insensitive, it should be deleted. I'm offended by the thread called "Getting Married". Marriage is against my belief system. That thread should be deleted. I'm offended by "Something Interesting in a Christian bookstore". That should be deleted as well. I'm offended by the mention of "Comics". That thread should also be deleted. I'm offended by the fact that this place allows people of religions other than Christianity to participate. That should be stopped.

Now, all of the above is sarcasm, but do you see my point? Therefore, the guidelines I set forth for closure/deletion of threads stand, unless Derek disagrees. And I doubt he will, if he does, this place isn't what most of us think it is. And this place is EXACTLY what he wants it to be, last I checked.

If there is no vulgarity, racism, adult-oriented content, etc., a thread will NOT be deleted.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: aramike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Akuma Minako:

Yeah I guess...But I sick of seeing this war thing being drawn out so much. I just wish everyone would stop it. I know things arn't going to just because I say so...But well...I just...It hurts ya know?

I know what you mean. That's why we can't allow opinions offend us. If we do that, the world will be at war faster than you can say "World War 3". In fact, opinions offending people is the reason that the terrorists attack people ANYWAY.

I may not agree with you on pacifism, but on this board, I will ALWAYS protect your right to voice your opinion. I will NEVER censor you any more than I would anyone else.

That is why I believe in straight-forward rules without ambiguity. So just relax, voice your piece if you so choose, and know that NO ONE will be allowed to attack you personally for them, or that you will not be stopped from doing so.

The whole frigging world is full of OFFENSIVE things. Hell, I have my own personal detractor tour bus who follow me EVERYWHERE. The only way we can avoid things that offend us, is to commit Hari Kari.

I don't know about you, but I'm not planning on Hari Kari. Somehow, the bastards WILL pay.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Remo Williams

Your completely right Aramike. Thats why I left a thread last night with out making a personnal attack on someone that I found insulting and disrespectful. I just won't go back into the thread or have anything to do with the poster, pretty simple.

Ahhhhhh aramike is offended by all the threads on the forum and wants to delete them! we're doomed!

Seriously, I agree with your proposal/LAW.

Just because someone has an opinion, even if it is distasteful to some, as long as they aren't coming in here like NAZI's and saying we should put everyone who likes BCM into concentration camps - just an opinion.

lol, looking forward to arguments spinning out of control over frustration

quote:

Your completely right Aramike. Thats why I left a thread last night with out making a personnal attack on someone that I found insulting and disrespectful. I just won't go back into the thread or have anything to do with the poster, pretty simple

uhm, I'm quite sure thats not what Aramike meant (I sure as hell 'ope not). If there is an insulting and disrespectful thread or post, it needs to be pointed out so that the admin or mod can take the necessary action. We're NOT tolering insulting or disrespectful posts here. And issuing an opinions can be done without being insulting and disrespectful.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, I'm quite sure thats not what Aramike meant (
I sure as hell 'ope not
). If there is an insulting and disrespectful thread or post, it needs to be pointed out so that the admin or mod can take the necessary action. We're NOT tolering insulting or disrespectful posts here. And issuing an opinions can be done without being insulting and disrespectful.

Heh, you know as well as I do that that isn't what I meant.

quote:

I must say Aramike, I am HAPPY that you are handling it this way. So far as I've seen, you are doing a good job on these boards. Keep it up!

Thanks Gomez!