Small, cool strategy games?

Gryphon

Lately I've become weary of million dollar duds and really, what I'm looking for is a simple, good old fashioned strategy/war game. I don't care if its fleet based or individual ships or what era it is set in...

Can anyone recommend anything? I've played Stars! and VGA Planets and variants thereof and those are just too big and complex for me. I'm talking a game where you manage your ships and not your damn empire

Anyone?

Space stuff:

Master of Orion 1 always hits the spot

(for a nice online MP game (though it has no strategy) try out NETREK)

WW2 stuff: Silent Service II, GREAT NAVAL BATTLES (North Atlantic). You may like Panzer General series (I hate hex based games).

Ah, MOO. God, I love that game. One of the things on my lifetime checklist is to beat it on impossible level. Very difficult, but doable, I've heard. It also bears an uncanny resemblance to a space strategy game I devised about five years ago, before I ever know what MOO was. Then when I played it for the first time, I thought: "Hey, this is like a computerized version of my game! Cool!" I could go into a long list of similarities between the two, and I think I'll do just that!

My game

A randomly generated galaxy, with planet sizes

Technology with a variety of purposes, including planeteering

Design ships with resarched technology

Diplomacy with other human players

Organize planetary resources

Win only by complete conquest

Advanced ship battles

All races created equal

MOO

A randomly generated galaxy, with planet sizes and some special attributes

Diplomacy with computer players, including trading and spying

Organize planetary recources

Voting for winner

Advanced ship battles

Different races, with diffrent bonuses

Hostile Waters!

..Okay, so it isn't really old, and it's not a wargame either (more of an action/strategy hybrid, ALA Battlezone), but, damnit, the game barely gets noticed, which is bad, considering how much it rocks

Civ Call to power II. It's in the bargain bin now. And if you like that you can try Birth of the Federation.

(I'm not a trekkie )

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

My game

A randomly generated galaxy, with planet sizes

Diplomacy with other human players

Organize planetary resources

Win only by complete conquest

Advanced ship battles

All races created equal

I think that ressemble a game I know about, Stars! Supernova Genesis. I played the "old" game, "Stars!", but the new game seems much better. The only thing it doesn't "really" have is planet sizes. The only thing is that it's still in development, and late...

Parias have you heard about it? Or anyone?

Also try out SHOGUN:TOTAL WAR

Im addicted to it. I would love to have a unit editor for it, the guys that coded it went too much with making the game units into 100% predictable chess pieces. But even then, its an awesome game. I love my Ninjas & my Archers + Yari Cavalry army mwhaha.

SHOGUN: TOTAL WAR WARLORD EDITION, the battlefield ninja's are better and yes there's a use for the heavy calvary, shock troops, just use 2 troops to charge the enemy with lots and lots of yari samurai backup and the result will be evident.

MOO umm... i downloaded it but can't get emm386 to work, dunno why but can't get it to work.

Maybe you'll like this one:

Armada 2250 (or 2225 don't remember) Deluxe. It's free and can be downloaded from the underdogs.

Hope you like it.

And remember it's and old and somewhat complex turn based strategy game so it'll get some time to get used to it.

Try Empire. It's a WWII-like game with infantry, armor, transports, destroyers, bombers, fighters, subs, carriers, and battleships on a planet where the land masses are hidden until you explore them. You can decide how many computer opponents there are and how large the world is.

You conquer cities that add to your production of ships. Automated player aids include patrol routes, free exploration, and transfer routes to move newly produced units automatically to the front.

I know it's not a strategy game, but has anyone here played Zero Wing?

I've heard and seen a lot of things about the intro (including a rip of the intro itself), but what is the game like?

Heh, I couldn't resist asking this question because I saw the AYB music video in its entirety for the first time today.

All your base are belong to us!

Can't really say that I've heard of it...

But the best games were still from the good old 80's and early 90's like:-

Microprose's X-Com/UFO Enemy Unknown;

SSI's Fantasy Empires;

Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition, Genghis Khan 2, Unchartered Waters 1 & 2;

Lucasarts's X-wing & Tie Fighter series;

Bullfrog's Theme Hospital, Populous;

and many, many more...

What i find wierd about Civ2 is that it was not strategy game/game of year the year it came out, but a couple of years later. I realized this after i saw a game of year edition and realized i had bought that game a couple years later. I am awaiting Civ 3.

I always loved Railroad tycoon, the first one fit on 2 floppies I think, or maybe it was 1, and railroad tycoon II was pretty darn good as well. Always loved microprose and sid meyer!!

quote:

you found any use for the heavy cavalry shohashi? So far they are expensive fodder

That's what I've been doing with them! I'm not sure if the The Mongel Invasion version changes that or not as I don't have that.

quote:

SHOGUN: TOTAL WAR WARLORD EDITION, the battlefield ninja's are better and yes there's a use for the heavy calvary, shock troops, just use 2 troops to charge the enemy with lots and lots of yari samurai backup and the result will be evident.

Wow...may have to pick that one up. Did they fix multiplayer? In the first one, multiplayer was a nightmare...even with the patches.

quote:

I like "Starships Unlimited" - it's a Realtime 4x strategy game which focuses on the ships and exploration -

Been giving this a try..seems ok..but I wish you could change the resolution. It seems to play in 640x480 which looks like crap on my 19" monitor. Be nice if you could crank it up to 1024x768!

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: ShoHashi ]

quote:

SHoHashi posted on 10-06-2001

Wow...may have to pick that one up. Did they fix multiplayer? In the first one, multiplayer was a nightmare...even with the patches.

Sorry can't help you there as I don't really have the time or the inclination to play any other game other BCM online