Instant Messengers

Guest $iLk

YaHoo!IM, MicrosoftIM, ICQ, AIM, or other;

What do you use?

Why did you choose it?

What makes it special?

Annoying "features"?

I am trying to figure out what I should get back into using, I have used all of the above, just wondering what makes one better to you guys?

P.S. I am only using MICROSOFT IM right now but am considering ICQ - what would I need to hack the ads out?

ICQ. I haven't touched anything else, mainly because no other program has my contact list with over 400 people on it. Plus, 97% of the people on my list don't plan to touch any other IM programs in the near future

I've got the ORIGINAL 1998-99 ICQ that has no flashy features just the contact list and whether they are on or offline, plus a neat chat utilitiy. I tried ICQ 2000a and 2000b. The newest is ICQ2001a I think.

I'm considering it because of the "uh oh" sound that comes from getting a message... feels like part of my childhood hearing that... hehe. Yeah the newest ones I never really messed with. I actually had one of the lower numbers on ICQ, not these 10 digit ones... I wish I could find my old setup for the original.

Well, guess I will decide. But I really don't want the ads cause they piss me off.

ICQ & Yahoo IM

ICQ for all of my Community Contacts.

Yahoo mostly for family.

My wife uses AIM for all her AOL friends, since she still has her mail there, and I WON'T allow that piece of trash software on my machines. Me, I won't touch that with a ten foot pole!

Has anyone tried out Trillian yet? http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

It says that it is one chat program that supports ICQ, AIM, and the other chat programs in one package....

UPDATE: I dloaded and am trying out Trillian. It compiles buddy list from ICQ and the other message programs. So far I like it. It has no adds like ICQ and it also takes up HALF the RAM to run as the latest version of ICQ does.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: LordDavid ]