Windows XP Professional

Guest $iLk

I just installed it, am trying it out now - and yes even posting now with it...

What have I noticed so far?

Cartoony GUI.

That's the only bad thing so far. The product activation thing told me it wanted to activate, I hit okay, 3 sec later it said cool.

That's all there was to that.

I didn't register, Microsoft didn't make me.

The Internet Explorer looks cartoony, but is actually very helpful. When you go to the Windows Update site it creates a menu on the left side of your browser, detailing types of updates and what they are, it even fixes latest drivers for motherboard and processor.

A great tribute to Microsoft video after install that would make Bill Gates blow his load it is so much propaganda, but other than that it's cool.

So far no quirky bugs, and it seems really really good as far as stability. Great features in it such as being able to save your work and close a program after it has crashed, instead of rebooting. Also you can emulate to run programs back from Windows 95 +

Lots of other neat stuff, and if you want to reconfigure it to look like the old windows you can. Only supports 800X600 res +, no more 640 X 480.

It looks and acts so helpful I feel like Bill Gates has his arm around me and is showing me the wonders of a PC...

Damn I'm being brainwashed.

Anyway I will keep you guys who haven't upgraded to it posted on happenings with it so you know if it's worth it.

BTW if I was on your ICQ list, I kind of reformatted my HD and didn't save my list so it's gonna be a bit before I come on ICQ again.

Also running a dual boot of Windows 2000 Pro but feel ashamed for not trusting poor Bill... I want to send more money to Microsoft...

*$iLk shakes his head and looks around.

Where am I?

Seriously guys it's great so far, I'll keep you updated.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

[QB]I just installed it, am trying it out now - and yes even posting now with it...

What have I noticed so far?

Cartoony GUI.

QB]

You can turn the GUI back to same as W2K if you wish.....trying to remember settings I think it is start - settings - taskbars

but not quite sure been a while since I used XP. Looking forward to installing it when I get it though.

BTW what version did you get Home edition or professional?

I got the professional addition. I had problems with user accounts for a few minutes until I rebooted and then started fiddling with display setting.

It starts with the Win2kpro load screen and does in fact load faster - only to take you to another load screen. Still starts a little faster overall.

Everything is... blue. For user accounts to log on and off it has icons that stand for each user with name and privileges written beside it. You can set accounts for administrator, limited, and guest. Unlike Windows 2000 it doesn't have an account named administrator. It has a configurable name so you can choose.

Took awhile to install but told me all kinds of things while I waited about what it can do blah blah.

BTW, you can order an OEM copy from microbarn.com for only $134.00, though you have to buy hardware too... I bought a $1 power cord

Anyway it only took 2 days to get here and so far no problems... no BSoD yet...

quote:

Anyway it only took 2 days to get here and so far no problems... no BSoD yet...[/QB]

I've been running it for about two weeks now and I'm very impressed with its stability - crashing only three times in that two weeks. All three were BSODs. The first was while playing Countrstrike.

I was firing my AK at someone in the distance and WHAM, BSOD. HAven't reproduced it since.

Second time I was writing in WORD and it just went BSOD on me.

Third time was this past monday. I recently had a cable modem set up and it suddenly synched with the network and WHAM, BSOD.

Despite these odd BSODs, the fact that I haven't been able to reproduce them tells me XP is a superior product. I'm running XP Pro on a P3-800 w/128MB RAM, 40gig drive, Radeon 7500 (was GF2MX, worked fine too.)

Boots up in about 23-30 seconds, though I started using the login screen 'cuz its cool, everything runs nicely and whenever a game crashes due to its own buginess I can end the process successfully every time.

The only issue I encounter frequently is that the half-life executable HL.EXE stays in memory even after exiting the game normally. it causes instability until I end the process.

Ah well

My old OS was Win98se, I went for xp PRO final release.

I formatted my hard drive and went to install it.

The install is smooth and overall a good quality work.

But then, I discovered that I was not able to play system sound (uuuhhrrr ????), but music cd-rom were working fine, and a game was playing sounds all right. To update my sound drivers, I then tryed to install my DSL drivers, the install went perfectly. I rebooted the computer but when I tryed to connect, the system did a reset. Exactely as if I did push the reset button. After a long search, I discovered that the install was not finished correctly, and I had to manually apply IP settings on my modem to have it working properly. But EVERYTIME I did something wrong on the DSL setup, I endured a reset.

Then I was able to connect to the internet. But I still endure some random resets. Rare, but still.

I did download win2000 drivers for soundblaster live, I installed them, but at the end of the install I experimented another RESET !

So I uninstalled soundblaster's drivers, and I stayed with the MS drivers for sb live.

I remember reading during the install that win xp vainquished the blue screen of death, that is absolutely true, I have never seen it since I am on xp. But I NEVER had so much reset on a computer.

I am not sure it can be called a progress.....

By the way, Nvidia drivers are ok.

Please note that I never had a problem to rollback a driver, this feature works fine.

Conclusion : if you install win xp, just work for MS drivers. The only exception is nvidia drivers. I regret doing this migration, I should have waited for a few months, I believe that by december most 3rd party drivers will be ok, but at the moment they are a pain in the ass.

I'm running it on a:

PIII 1ghz

256MB RAM

40GB HD, partitioned into 2 20GB for dual boot between WIN2kPro and WINXPPro

Asus Deluxe v8200 Geforce 3 64mbddrRAM

My sound card, Geforce 3, etc basically didn't need me to put in the drivers cd at all - neither did my NIC card.

In fact I didn't have to put in a single driver cd as Windows XP reconized all my components and even upgraded what it needed too.

That made me happy,

also it's networking feature literally autodiscovers connected devices and auto does network connections by snooping through the wires.

Most user friendly OS I have seen, I still haven't installed any 3rd party stuff on it so will update on how games work with it.

I played around with a whole bunch of the XP systems in Best Buy last week. You can return to the Windows 9x style layout, if you want. IIRC, it's in the Folder Options box (it's the same way to get to it as in the other most recent Windows).

I'm going to get my copy of XP Pro in a few months (when my uncle can burn it for me ). Either way, I've read (in PC World), that the Product Registration resets after 120 days. So you can install XP on one machine, wait 4 months, and install it on another and the Prod. Reg. will have been reset, so it won't matter! (Finally Microsoft gave the customer the benifit of the doubt... I guess it was all that *****ing about it that made them do it, but who cares?)

Hmm.... BSODs? I run into one at least 3 times a week on ME! Then again, I do screw around with settings, run AOL Beta versions, use active desktop (which uses quite a bit of extra OS RAM), 2 monitors..... All on a Celeron 500, with an ATI Rage 128 and Intel 810. .......Okay, so I'm pushing my system to the limits. Nevermind me even talking about my BSODs.

Does anyone know if it works with the AMD processor. I saw some where that the specs for XP only stated Intel processors as a requirement. But Ive seen this comment before in the past and had no problems with AMD.

By the way, Im running 1200Mh Thunderbird AMD

I read that only the hardware snapshot resets after 120 days. You can add up to six pieces of hardware, only 4 if you change your NIC. Then it gets reset and you can add 6 more. You can never change motherboards on an OEM version without going through registration again.

The activation still keeps track of your serial # so you can still easily get caught.

Getting burned copies of things is what I'm trying to avoid, though I've spent nearly $600 so far getting legal copies of everything I use - and still have another $1000 to go.

As far as AMD, I don't see why not, but it's not gonna be friendly if it isn't listed on M$ website.

Ok, that has got me interested.

Got this questions

1. Is it good for games, all of them, old and new.

2. If I understood correctly it recognizes your system components and installs and updates the latest drivers for them when you log onto the internet?

3. How much ram/system resources it eats up to run smothly and still leave enough for games?

4. How much is it?

Well, gots a wild hair and orderd me a bunch of stuff. You know the usual - mobo, cpu, hdd, & WinXP Pro - soooo we'll see what the final verdit may/will be sometime next week

MM is not an issue for me. I just want stability. Getting bloomin' tired of the BSOD that is inherent with WinMe

TTFN

I will be changing to XP as soon as I can get a copy but I have been using W2K for about a year now and have never has a BSOD in 2K (quite a few in 98 though). And I am constantly adding new hardware/software to my pc and run pretty much all my games through 2K and it has never given me any problems(although its starting to now, getting close to my once yearly format)

Hm... new problem with WinXP.

Independence War 2 BSODs on me. As soon as I get the actual flight portion of the game started I get a BSOD - movies are fine, the main menu is fine.

I've tried upgrading it, and I've tried the WinXP compatibility thingy, switching it to Win98/ME and "Disable visual themes" or whatever it is.

As soon as the flight gets going, the game exits to desktop and I get a BSOD from which there is no escape. I'm posting this here not cause I want support for IW2 BTW - I don't give a damn if it works or not - I just get concerned when my OS isnt' working properly.

Check updates on Microsoft frequently, and enable the send error report. It works wonders as they start working on problems ppl are having.

I didn't have to use a single driver cd, winxp update does it all. Incredible OS.

Any questions let me know - the WINDOWS XP Plus pack sux, I spent forty bucks on it and it doesn't add anything hardly except the inclination for IE to crash.

I like it and I am not pro-M$ either course I went wit the classic interface instead of that GUI PoS that M$ calls an interface.

Install went like a charm - didn't have to load one OEM driver (nVidia included). Only had to d/l 10mb worth of updates (nvidia driver included).

But the real test comes when BCM arrives

TTFN

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]