The Bleeding Edge - Negligence or Incompetence

Supreme Cmdr

Great editorial.

It's about time someone with some pull said it exactly like that.

I just hope ATI doesn't totally cut you off from their developer program for being blunt with them in public. They need to keep working with you, even though you are not happy. It's time they deal with the developers on this. How else is it going to get fixed? They havn't shown any interest in listening to the average joe gamer.

Nice article. I concur, and I've been staying away from ATI's cards primarily because of the drivers. Sure, they look like great cards, and some screenshots I saw of Tribes 2 running on one of ATI's latest offerings was damn impressive.. but they're only good when they actually WORK.

quote:

Originally posted by Advil:

Great editorial.

It's about time someone with some pull said it exactly like that.

I just hope ATI doesn't totally cut you off from their developer program for being blunt with them in public. They need to keep working with you, even though you are not happy. It's time they deal with the developers on this. How else is it going to get fixed? They havn't shown any interest in listening to the average joe gamer.

I could care less what they do. I didn't ask to be on it.

FYI, I sent them email about these problems about TWO WEEKS ago. Still no reply. After checking all the drivers and getting ready for the deluge once BCM ships next week, I just had to get it out of the way and over with.

I was actually thinking of getting a Radeon 8500 before i started reading reviews about it.

It makes me bitter because it seems to have better features than the geforce 3, and it's cheaper too, but every review i've read so far, and now SC's soapbox, keeps saying over and over that the drivers hold it back.

I guess I always took divers for granted in the past, but now that I'm considering buying a new card, I've been reading reviews for alot of different cards. I guess for the money a geforce 3 ti 200 would be a good bet, but I'm concerned that the slightly lower clock speeds will have some effect in the near future. I've had my current card (Voodoo 3 3000) for almost 3 years now, and I only payed like 150 (CND) for it.. I certainly don't want to dish out 400+ (CND) for a new card which will last as long.

It's a shame that ATI doesn't seem to care about how their cards work with games, as opposed to how the card looks on paper.

Those are my 2 cents...

Capt. HM.

That was actually a fair amount of support from Hook, or at least as much as you can expect. Even though he waffled a bit to keep everyone happy, his last paragraph pretty much says "overall, I agree".

Hey He-Man, don't be bitter. Think of it this way.

ATI's biggest function is to keep Nvidia innovative and cutting edge. They actually do serve a purpose. Without competition, trust me, we all suffer.

'Just as without the pesky aphid, the beautiful Lady Bug would have no food source, and vanish, without ATI, Nvidia would become slothful, and stagnant. It is the way of nature my son, it is the ways of the force.'

I haven't liked the way Maximum PC has gloated about how the GeForce 3 is history now that Radeon is here, while only a couple of months before, they claimed the GeForce 3 heralded the second coming of Christ.

Maximum PC is misleading and rates products on what they are "supposed to achieve" rather than actual practice.

Just had to throw that in there. ATI sucks and NvIdia RuLEZ!!

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I haven't liked the way Maximum PC has gloated about how the GeForce 3 is history now that Radeon is here, while only a couple of months before, they claimed the GeForce 3 heralded the second coming of Christ.

Maximum PC is misleading and rates products on what they are "supposed to achieve" rather than actual practice.

Just had to throw that in there. ATI sucks and NvIdia RuLEZ!!

I agree. I can't wait to see how they address this in their December or January issue, seeing that they gave the 8500 a perfect 10 and called it the GF3 killer right on the cover of the November issue...using tainted benchmark scores.

quote:

I agree. I can't wait to see how they address this in their December or January issue, seeing that they gave the 8500 a perfect 10 and called it the GF3 killer right on the cover of the November issue...using tainted benchmark scores.

After watching an archived video of one of Jim Louderback's "Mac vs PC" comparisons, I don't trust benchmark tests anymore. Louderback demonstrated how benchmarks can be rigged to support any conclusion.